• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mekos Presents!! Press Start - NC and MD/VA Clash!!

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
The tournament was enjoyable, but ran kinda poorly. This tourney would probably have ended at 3 AM if I didn't have Mekos start doubles signups at 6 PM...Doing a side event first is a dumb idea. I know it was Mekos's first attempt at TO'ing, but he probably should have listened to other people a little bit more in terms of time management. I think he'll do fine hosting his next tourney if he does his side event last, doesn't allow smashers to come 1.5 hours later then the start time of the first event, and stays strict to his schedule.

I won't come back to this venue because I don't like the Tv's I played on (I did at least 50 Usmash's accidentally because the LCD Tv's caused me to buffer them. /salt) and he changed rules about payouts mid tourney. It went from paying out in 3v3's to top 3 to randomly top 2. I know it's just $3.50, but that's bs that you didn't follow your original rules.

Good games to anyone I played. Love the Nc scene cause yall chill and funny as hell.

:018:
Thanks for your negative feedback. Could you now please tell me some positive feedback as a fellow TO? :bee: The Tv's were not LCD. LCD tv's are laggy. Those were Plasma tv's bought for gaming. Also, some people only came for 3v3 teams so it was good I did it that way and respected their time. The payouts for 3v3's was changed at the beginning of the tourney. I already stated that I understood your concerns and would pay u $3.50 so there is no reason for you to state that. You are stating alot of negativity for someone who had an enjoyable experience at the tourney. That is just some advice. When u give feedback don't only give negative feedback. State all the facts and usually end with positive. I've learned that in life. U could even thank me for housing you for two nights u know.

@Everyone - Feel free to steal the 3v3 teams idea. I want it pushed across the nation. It is awesome and a new way to play smash. I don't see it as a side event. I see it as another official event. Smash should have singles, doubles, and 3v3 teams. Apex 2013 would be awesome with that.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Ahh, I liked 8 mile. Shoulda named yourself slim shady or just shady then tho. Unless you're just from detroit so you decided to name yourself after the area code?

People won't enter 3v3 at the end of the day, after what matters most, singles, is over then people will opt to go home, just chill, or play friendlies/MMs. It does generate some hype, only thing is you should be able to change the order around so people don't always have to go into a matchup that counters them or people have the option to counter someone else making it more competitive.

@mekos - Don't just expect positive feedback to balance out any negative feedback. Just accept all kinds of feedback because all of it helps you become better at TO'ing. I don't really see changing the payout rules the day of the tournament to be acceptable either, I want my 3.50 lol. Also the TVs there were definitely not optimal for brawl gameplay and there was definitely enough room for at least one more set up in case someone wanted to not play on one of those TVs. But you told everyone not to bring set ups so that is on you.

What's The Point

Smash Master
It does generate some hype, only thing is you should be able to change the order around so people don't always have to go into a matchup that counters them or people have the option to counter someone else making it more competitive.
As a guy who watches all the FGC streams I agree with this. Order locked teams is weird.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It is strange and interesting, however I do think that since characters are locked and there are solidly polarizing MU's in this game, it would be nice to be able to change up team order. A small tweak that I think opens up more strategy between teammates.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Thanks for your negative feedback. Could you now please tell me some positive feedback as a fellow TO? :bee: The Tv's were not LCD. LCD tv's are laggy. Those were Plasma tv's bought for gaming. Also, some people only came for 3v3 teams so it was good I did it that way and respected their time. The payouts for 3v3's was changed at the beginning of the tourney. I already stated that I understood your concerns and would pay u $3.50 so there is no reason for you to state that. You are stating alot of negativity for someone who had an enjoyable experience at the tourney. That is just some advice. When u give feedback don't only give negative feedback. State all the facts and usually end with positive. I've learned that in life. U could even thank me for housing you for two nights u know.

@Everyone - Feel free to steal the 3v3 teams idea. I want it pushed across the nation. It is awesome and a new way to play smash. I don't see it as a side event. I see it as another official event. Smash should have singles, doubles, and 3v3 teams. Apex 2013 would be awesome with that.
I did end with a positive statement. Read the last sentence. Why should I not complain to help you improve as a TO? No point in saying only positive things if things obviously went/were wrong. Also, Plasma tv's=/=CRT Tv's regardless.

I thought you did a great job providing an enjoyable and positive atmosphere, but you gotta be meaner/stricter as a TO. Dq's for extreme lateness and staying to a schedule is key. /advice

I forgot to thank you for housing me, but I'll do that now. Thanks :)!

Edit: 3v3's is a side event no matter what you wanna say. It'd be more legit if people could actually choose the character they want to use or change their line up. I mean it saved you/others from being cp'd, but that isn't very brawl-esque.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
@Seagull - You welcome. Just forget what I said. It is okay.

You all are CORRECT about being able to change your order for 3v3 teams. I explained in a post in the tourney thread that I wanted it locked this time to make it easier but in the future would change it. With that said I am still messing with the rules for 3v3 teams.

What are some other things you guys think should change about it? Did you like the 2 stock 6 minutes? Did you like the stages?

Character lock will definitely stay. Next time you will be able to call your team order at the beginning of a set.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
@Seagull - You welcome. Just forget what I said. It is okay.

You all are CORRECT about being able to change your order for 3v3 teams. I explained in a post in the tourney thread that I wanted it locked this time to make it easier but in the future would change it. With that said I am still messing with the rules for 3v3 teams.

What are some other things you guys think should change about it? Did you like the 2 stock 6 minutes? Did you like the stages?

Character lock will definitely stay. Next time you will be able to call your team order at the beginning of a set.
Every match was on Smashville (From what I saw), which I thought was good/fair. I think 2 stocks and 6 minutes was a splendid idea. It's kinda weird when stocks transfer over, but 3 stocks for everyone would take too long for a side event.

Well it'd be better if we could just announce who goes first and then the loser sends in the next person rather then lock at the start of it. I mean, if we say who goes first in a 3 man team there is only 2 people who could even go next. Might as well let them decide ya know? Up to you.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
The reason I like the player locked at the beginning of the set is because of the strategy involved.

You have to be creative and try and out smart your opponents player placement strategy.
Just like a real relay u can't switch in the middle of the race who you want to go first, second, and third. There are many different strategies that can be considered for your player placement depending on the character, player mentality(are they mentally strong enuff to be an anchor for example), and opponents characters/players.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
People should be able to choose their order. It's strategy. It's more of a strategy to know who you're sending in then being forced to send someone in based on a lineup. You should understand that more then anyone. It's like chess. Choose the right move. Don't guess and get *****.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I was about to correct that baseball analogy.

But if you want to compare the 3v3 to something compare it to any crew battle or any team battle in any fighting game ever. You can always choose your order.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Hmm I see yall's points. Lets get other people's opinion.

So so far we have two view points.
1. Player order can be changed constantly

2. Player order is locked at the beginning of a set (not the whole tourney).

I'm down with number 2 while both of you support number 1 right?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
ah okay...hmm see I don't know if I like that. I like the whole character lock thing at the beginning of the set. It brings so many emotions to the table. Having it not locked is a cop-out in my opinion. You don't have to think as hard and it makes counter picking a stronger factor(which I don't like).

For example, at this tourney Stingers and I discussed how our team formation should be.
I said I should go first or last. Stingers agreed. I said he could go first and he said no because if a mk was last on the other team he didn't feel confident he could finish out the 3v3 team battle.
I then suggested Sushi since he is mk. He stated that Sushi would be good in the middle because it is a safe counter pick character. He said I should go last because he believed in my ability to bring the 3v3 team battle home and because I can fight mks.

That formation worked for us and we were able to beat MD/VA because of it. MD/VA's finest(lie, TC and Logic) to my knowledge simply put their strongest members first and last without any extra thought.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
You forgot to mention that you were the one who handled the order of things so you could have purposely chosen counterpicks (And you kind of did because you put Stingers vs Lie first) when you knew every other teams order. ZING.

There is intense bias with your method just because of what I said above.

The way crews does it is way less biased.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah except we talked about it on fb before the tourney...

AND LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ ME COUNTERPICKING LIE

HE PLAYS ****ING MK SERIOUSLY JOE

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
yeah except we talked about it on fb before the tourney...

AND LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ ME COUNTERPICKING LIE

HE PLAYS ****ING MK SERIOUSLY JOE
Yo, Lie is **** scared of :rob:. I don't know why.

And the way Mekos does it has bias regardless of if he knew his order before the tourney. Being able to choose a lineup like crews style for 3v3 removes that bias ultimately.

Example of way to make it bias (Not an actual thing that happened, but a possible example):
*Person in charge of writing down orders lists sees Md/Va*
*Md/Va decides to order it as Logic, Lie, Me*
*Person in charge orders Sushi-man, Stingers, Mekos*
^
Instant win for Nc.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah he didnt know the mu lol. tho it did get a lot harder once tc told him how to camp -,- still 3-0 baby ;)

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
huh how is it bias? And lol at Stingers correcting u. Yea we talked before the tourney.

Anyways, player placement is not going to be locked the whole tourney like at this tourney. Player placement would be locked at the beginning of the set. Your team would get to analyze your opponents and form your team formation based on how you think you can best defeat the other team.

But anyways. How is player placement locked at the beginning of a set bias?
I see u edited. let me go read it now.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yeah I was born there. :)

Being a Lions fan isn't depressing anymore either. Pistons on the other hand :(.
I think you have this backwards, tbh.

Championships are all that matters. Pistons have won 1 the last 10 years. The Lions haven't won a playoff game the last 10+ years.

I hate the Pistons, but love the Lions and Tigers (and every other cat team) and it pains me to say that, but it's true.

If we win the division this year, then I might be on the same page, but one playoff appearance since I've been 10 isssssssssssssssssssssssssssss saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Ah I see what u are saying. I think my post before this explains this.
We are discussing to view points.
1. Player order is locked before a set (u pick the player order at the beginning of each individual set/3v3 battle)
2. Player order is never locked (like crews)

NOT player order is locked the ENTIRE tourney like at this tourney. I never wanted this but did this to make it easier for me to run my first tourney. U know to be able to keep up with things.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I like having characters locked AND the order locked.

Maybe the TO should have to submit their teams order first to a 3rd party (someone who didn't do 3v3) so they can't rig it, but Stingers talked the ride home about how their team was the only team who PLANNED on NOT having MK as their starting character.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Characters will definitely be locked the whole tourney. That is not up for debate. :)

Lie wanted to switch to Diddy. That would have broken two rules. The character lock and having two of the same character on one team. TC was already a Diddy on the team.
I didn't allow it.

Top Bottom