• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mechanics & Techniques Discussion

Was your discovery something new or real?

• Total voters

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
It's a very circumstantial combination of knockback distance and angle, if you hit with the inner part of the hitbox (closer to your own body) it will probably sent the opponent towards the other one.
Due to how much characters tend to push each other as an attempt not to overlap, you need to input it while the opponent was performing another action (likely, a defensive one like dodging). So, it's not a reliable tech.
It works great on shields though, especially in that awkward moment when two players both shield infront of each other. But I agree it's not going to be really reliable because it is situational, however the situation to use it comes up pretty often. When I fully master this and learn what it can truly do i will show smashboards. But until then don't expect to see me too much.

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
It works great on shields though, especially in that awkward moment when two players both shield infront of each other. But I agree it's not going to be really reliable because it is situational, however the situation to use it comes up pretty often. When I fully master this and learn what it can truly do i will show smashboards. But until then don't expect to see me too much.
Is this tech character specific? Don't Most down smashes just sweep the opponent away. I thought only Toon Link's down smash made attempts to link the two hits.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
Is this tech character specific? Don't Most down smashes just sweep the opponent away. I thought only Toon Link's down smash made attempts to link the two hits.
Mario, Luigi, rosalina, diddy kong, zelda, samus, Marth, meta knight, dr.mario, and Lucina. Can all do this tech, but rosalina and meta knight horrendously lack the shield pressuring capabilities that the other characters I listed have. Everyone else I listed can get a shield one hit away from breaking. Except for mario who can only get a shield within one hit by doing back air> side smash, and that requires really good spacing. This tech can be preformed two reliable ways by being right next to a shielding opponent then perfect pivot>down smash or jump backwards> down smash immediately after you land. The third way should never be relied on because only your opponent can cause it by messing up horribly, it is caused by one player charging a down smash and the other player walking/running right next to your character and shielding, it can also be done in this situation by someone walking straight into the down smash. If you space this technique right it is instant shield pressure guarentee. However if you space it perfectly the attack doesn't have to hit on shield and both hits will still connect usually dealing at least 20%. In conclusion this is a situational technique but is rewarding dealing enough shield damage to scare an opponent into not shielding until their shield regens. Also if you perfect down smash, which is what I think it should be called when you connect both hits on a down smash it is the strongest move you can do for weak characters like mario. If you don't think this important enough to be a legit technique I can accept that, because it's not hurting me. If you think this is informative I'm glad to be a help.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?
Here's a proof of Falco's Meteor acting late enough to auto-cancel ...It's weird and pointless lol.

Edit: I think he hit with the last frame of Fair's spike hitbox which happens at frame 19, but at the same time, the late hit at frame 20, lasts until frame 30. Falco's Dair also auto-cancels before frame 4 and after frame 38. The full animation lasts until frame 51, so he can't act until frame 52. Hmm... I wonder if hit lag is prolonging his air time and allowing it to "go through" the full animation. This also apparently happens with his Fair where if he connects the entire move and lands, he won't suffer landing lag.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Is their a hitstun calculator? How can I calculate the FAF the opponent can act when hit by a certain move?(Ignoring DI)
Knockback = ((((((t+d)/10+(((t+d)*d)/20))*(200/(w+100))*1.4)+18)*(g/100))+b)
Weight Based Knockback = ((((((10/10)+((10*s)/20))*(200/(w+100))*1.4)+18)*(g/100))+b)

t = Target Damage
d = Attack Damage
w = Target Weight
g = Knockback Growth
s = Weight Based Knockback
b = Base Knockback

Hitstun frames is the knockback value * 0.4.

Example: Marth's tipped forward smash hitting another Marth at 40%:

t = 40
d = 18
w = 90
g = 80
b = 80

Since it's not a move with weight based knockback, the regular knockback formula is used.

((((((40+18)/10+(((40+18)*18)/20))*(200/(90+100))*1.4)+18)*(80/100))+80) = 162.779

65 frames of hitstun.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
How do you calculate shield stun with multi-hit moves? Do you only consider each hit individually or the entire move? For moves like say, Zelda's Side Smash, you're likely going to connect the entire thing, but for something like Falco's Up Smash, you can connect either of the hits. I'm using this, by the way.
http://sixriver.web.fc2.com/ssb4/Guard_Hitstop.htm

Apparently sixriver has a shieldstun calculator now, which calculates attacker hitlag, shielder hitlag, and shielder shieldstun, and has formulae for finding these three things. It also calculates frame (dis)advantage for using a move on shield. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it seems to match up fairly well with what I've observed.

The supposed formulae are:

Attacker Hitlag
(Attack Base Damage ÷ 2.6 + 5) x Hitlag modifier x Element modifier [1.5 if electric, 1 otherwise]

Defender Hitlag
(Attack Base Damage ÷ 2.6 + 5)

Defender Shieldstun
Attack Base Damage ÷ 2.56

A translated calc example using :4ganondorf: usmash:

Remember to add 7 frames of advantage if they need to drop their shield to punish!

A_Kae

Smash Ace
How do you calculate shield stun with multi-hit moves? Do you only consider each hit individually or the entire move? For moves like say, Zelda's Side Smash, you're likely going to connect the entire thing, but for something like Falco's Up Smash, you can connect either of the hits. I'm using this, by the way.
Shieldstun is calculated for each individual hit that connects.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Shieldstun is calculated for each individual hit that connects.
That works for moves like Falco's Up Smash, but what about moves that realistically, they're going to hit multiple times and you can't hit each individual hits separately like Zelda's Up Smash?

Oh, and for aerials, you'll have to add (technically subtract) landing lag, right? So, Falco's Dair, using the shield stun calculator, would give him a -40 frame advantage, but he also has 23 frames of landing lag. That would make it -63. But for auto-canceling aerials like his Bair, if you go with the calculator and input the total frames, technically, the total frames are something like 4, his hard landing frames, instead of 37. Normally, it'd be -28 with 15 frames of landing lag making it -43. Inputting that would make it +5 on shield with shield dropping, +7 frames to the frame advantage, making it +12.

Yes, my brain hurts. :p

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
That works for moves like Falco's Up Smash, but what about moves that realistically, they're going to hit multiple times and you can't hit each individual hits separately like Zelda's Up Smash?

Oh, and for aerials, you'll have to add (technically subtract) landing lag, right? So, Falco's Dair, using the shield stun calculator, would give him a -40 frame advantage, but he also has 23 frames of landing lag. That would make it -63. But for auto-canceling aerials like his Bair, if you go with the calculator and input the total frames, technically, the total frames are something like 4, his hard landing frames, instead of 37. Normally, it'd be -28 with 15 frames of landing lag making it -43. Inputting that would make it +5 on shield with shield dropping, +7 frames to the frame advantage, making it +12.

Yes, my brain hurts. :p
So for moves that hit multiple times, the same thing applies. Each hit of the move connects with a shield, and does a certain number of shieldstun frames. You could think of it as using multiple moves, if that helps. Zelda's smashes aren't very good for examples since they have 0 frames of shieldstun on the first few hits, so I'll use an imaginary move for my example.

This move has 34 total frames, and hits on frames 7, 12, and 23, with each hit doing 7, 9, and 14 damage, respectively. (that sounds broken)

Move Frames 1-6
Move Frame 7: Hit 1 (2 frames of shieldstun)
Shieldstun frame 1 / Move Frame 8
Shieldstun frame 2 / Move Frame 9
Move Frame 10: Defender Actionable
Move Frame 11
Move Frame 12: Hit 2 (3 frames of shieldstun)
Shieldstun frame 1 / Move Frame 13
Shieldstun frame 2 / Move Frame 14
Shieldstun frame 3 / Move Frame 15
Move Frame 16: Defender Actionable
Move Frame 17-22
Move Frame 23: Hit 3 (5 frames of shieldstun)
Shieldstun frame 1 / Move Frame 24
Shieldstun frame 2 / Move Frame 25
Shieldstun frame 3 / Move Frame 26
Shieldstun frame 4 / Move Frame 27
Shieldstun frame 5 / Move Frame 28
Move Frame 29: Defender Actionable
Move Frame 30-34
Move Frame 35: Attacker Actionable

For landing with aerials, just add the landing lag of the move (or the hard landing lag for autocancels) to the frame that you land on and use that as total frames. So if you land on frame 28 of Falco's dair, use 51 as the total frames instead.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Should I have mentioned that I'm using the shield stun calculator only to get frame advantages?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Should I have mentioned that I'm using the shield stun calculator only to get frame advantages?
If it's just frame advantage you want, then just use the final hit's data for the calculator. That's the one that actually matters.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If it's just frame advantage you want, then just use the final hit's data for the calculator. That's the one that actually matters.
Thanks, I kind of figured it out. I'm "revamping" the Falco frame data to have a "raw" frame data which if people are really curious, they can click on the link, but then there's going to be the "combat" frame data which is pretty much for anyone who does not care for the intricacies i.e. everyone who isn't a data miner. Also adding stuff that's "standard" for fighting games like recovery frames, frame advantages, etc.

I think I should put in shield stun for the raw data... Anyway, to go over something again. Falco's Dair hits on frames 16-19 that does 13% with a hit lag modifier of 2.0 and 20-30 that does 8% with a hit lag modifier of 1.0 and all with total frames of 51. Dair auto-cancels before frame 4 and after frame 38, so if I input all of this, I'm going to get a -40 frame advantage on shield for the frame 16-19 hit and a -28 for the frame 20-30 hit. There's no way Falco's going to auto-cancel the frame 16-19 hit, but he can auto-cancel the frame 20-30 hit, so if that's the case, the total frames should be replaced with his hard landing frames of 4 instead of the total frame. If I do that, I'm getting a +11 frame advantage. That's correct, yes?

Edit: Never mind, I got it.

Auto-canceling aerials is the only way Falco is going to be positive on shield... Sad... It's like horribly bad where only jab 1, jab 2, dash attack, Utilt's last hit, Ftilt, and Dtilt are the only moves he has that's below -16 on shield after shield dropping. Everything else is pretty much -20 and above. Explosive Blaster doesn't really count since you can dodge it easily and Burst Blaster is... yeah...

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Being positive on shield at all is a miracle in this game. Even most safe attacks like Ganon's usmash, Meta Knight's fsmash, and Olimar's hitlag-abusing fsmash/dsmash are negative on shield.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I know; I had KoF XIII's frame data open as a reference for formatting, but it's kind of jarring that Falco is not safe on shield with anything unless it's an auto-canceled Uair, Bair, and Dair. Nair doesn't auto-cancel so much as it has little landing lag - relative to most of the cast - unless I'm reading his auto-cancel windows wrong. Meanwhile, Sheik...

Still, you do sort of have to take into account shield push which I don't know if it's independent from shield stun and reaction speed from players.. Falco's Dair is heavily punishable, but either player can screw up so badly that the Falco player does Dair on shield for some reason and the other player doesn't react for some reason. I'd really like to find out about shield push since it's kind of stupid when Falco's Bair can't shield push, but Fox can. At the same time, it just might be because Falco's clean Bair is only active for 2 frames while Fox's is active for 3. 1 frame could make the difference.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Being positive on shield at all is a miracle in this game. Even most safe attacks like Ganon's usmash, Meta Knight's fsmash, and Olimar's hitlag-abusing fsmash/dsmash are negative on shield.
Some moves are positive like zss's and falcons uair or sheiks auto canceled fair. Then there are others not really negative like zss's bair. Technically a lot of moves can be positive with the whole shield lock frames continuing after shield stun thing. Hmm just noticed they are all aerials.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If you're calculating hit stun, who should you use as the average? If we go with that there are 55 character, the total weight is 5029, then it's ~91.4 which would make Palutena and Duck Hunt the average. If it's 53 characters where the Mii Fighters are considered 1 character for weight, then it's ~94.8 which is closer to Robin, Sonic, and Roy. Or I could just do 55/2 and get 27.5 which would be the weight positions of Robin, Sonic, and Roy since we don't have a 27th or 28th ranked position for weight. Going off of Aero's weight compilation: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight.

Edit: Or should Mario just be the dummy as usual?

Edit 2: Edit Harder: We don't have anything with on-hit frame advantages, right?

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Do we know the invulnerability frame data on ledge grabs at a high percentage, then?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
there are 2 attacks with the same knockback. One deals 10% and the other deals 15%. Is hitstun the same?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
there are 2 attacks with the same knockback. One deals 10% and the other deals 15%. Is hitstun the same?
Yes. Assuming you mean that the result of the knockback formula is the same for both, and not that they have the same BKB and KBG.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes. Assuming you mean that the result of the knockback formula is the same for both, and not that they have the same BKB and KBG.
Yep, the final knockback.

Okay, thanks for confirming! I was wondering if attacks that had nerfed damage, but altered BKB and KBG had the same combo potential. I also wondered if increasing the BKB/KBG increased low % combo potential at the same rate as a % damage increase (of the same final knockback).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Things like hit lag will go up with damage, which is literally called hit stun by the game :p
But while not a distinct extra frame advantage, it allows people to hit confirm better/likely get better follow ups (due to more time to react).

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone know where I can find rankings for characters' ability to quickly change horizontal direction while in the air? If you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean whatever it's called that allows Brawl Wario to quickly shift directions (his momentum) in the air. I would think it'd be called aerial momentum shifting, or something similar.
I don't see anything like this in the character attributes directory thread.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Anyone know where I can find rankings for characters' ability to quickly change horizontal direction while in the air? If you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean whatever it's called that allows Brawl Wario to quickly shift directions (his momentum) in the air. I would think it'd be called aerial momentum shifting, or something similar.
I don't see anything like this in the character attributes directory thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...ow-with-raw-real-values.383217/#post-18656263

Combination of Air Accel, deceleration, and F23 which is something like horizontal friction (most notably when you air moving in the air and return the stick to neutral).

No real "momentum shifting" value has been made as far as I know of.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
How do I buffer inputs out of animations? For example, how can I buffer a jump out of a dash attack? Or a jump out an up tilt if that's possible.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
Press the input 9 frames before the animation end.
When you say 9 frames before the animations ends are you also referring to the end lag the animation has? Also, since you can only buffer one input at a time buffering a dash attack would be impossible right? Lastly, I'm seeming to have trouble buffering in general. For example, I dash attack and try to buffer a jump out of the dash attack. So I would have to wait for the dash attack end lag to wear off and 9 frames before it wears off I input jump so it comes out immediately right? When I do the dash attack I click jump let go but nothing happens.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Buffering doesn't make attacks come out any earlier than normal; it just means you can press the input for it early and you'll get it as if you pressed it on the first frame it's possible to get the command out.

If you press Jump (and let go, if you want) within ten frames of the very end of your Dash Attack, your character should jump. If they did not jump, you either pressed another button and it has priority over the jump, or you didn't press Jump within the ten-frame buffer window.

Also, Analog Stick inputs aren't really counted in the "can only buffer one input at a time," but I don't think you can buffer a Dash Attack because it would come out as a different attack.

Last edited:

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
Buffering doesn't make attacks come out any earlier than normal; it just means you can press the input for it early and you'll get it as if you pressed it on the first frame it's possible to get the command out.

If you press Jump (and let go, if you want) within ten frames of the very end of your Dash Attack, your character should jump. If they did not jump, you either pressed another button and it has priority over the jump, or you didn't press Jump within the ten-frame buffer window.

Also, Analog Stick inputs aren't really counted in the "can only buffer one input at a time," but I don't think you can buffer a Dash Attack because it would come out as a different attack.
Ok, so I must have not pressed jump in the 10 frame buffer window. However, what would happen if I tried to buffer a SH aerial within the same window? Would the aerial not come out, or would it come out but not be frame perfect?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Button priority is as follows: Special > Shield > Attack > Jump. If you try to buffer a shorthop aerial, you're pressing both Attack and Jump, and since Attack has priority, you'd get whatever the Attack button would do on the first possible frame (a Grab if you're shielding, maybe a Jab if you're not).

You can buffer a Jump, then buffer an aerial during the jumpsquat frames before you leave the ground, though.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
There isn't an "on-hit frame advantage" calculator or formula, right? The Marth boards have data for on-hit advantages which should be related to hit stun, but I don't know how you get on-hit advantages from hit stun if that's even how you get on-hit frame advantages.

Top Bottom