• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me and Autism: Is it time for a change?

D

Deleted member

Link to original post: [drupal=3228]Me and Autism: Is it time for a change?[/drupal]

Hey guys, this blog is going to be more personal then the other blogs that I've written, just a fair warning (And a reason why it's not part of the Smashing Entries series). Now it's not gross and all, but it's more in depth on who I am.

I am an autistic person, well, I have a very mild case to put it lightly. Now remember, I am not stupid at all and I make very good grades. I can memorize all planets in the solar system in order, name all fourty-four president in the order when they became president, etc. I know how to talk to people in real life and I have the capacity to be like other people.

But to be honest, I don't think I'm well, normal. Unlike most people, I usually sit at home on my computer or play games and not much else, telling you that I am not an very social person. I'm also very underweight for my height (About six feet now), but I'm still a relatively healthy person.

Now let's compare me to my brother. We are the exact opposite of each other. He loves football, I despise them. He has to be going somewhere, I like to stay at home a lot. He likes interact with other people almost daily, I am not very socially active.

However, while doing homework (Just got done finishing it), my brother decided to make me an mexican dinner (My grandmother had to go to an ball game, yes, we live with our grandparents) and gave me a couple of his Bagel Bites (A miniture version of bagels, the one we ate was the one with pepporoni and cheese). For a few minutes, I put that aside to finish my homework. After getting the second last question done, my brother decided to talk to me about something.

This was seriously unexpected. I thought it was going to be another one of his so-called "adventures" when he gets in trouble. However, this was between me and my brother and I never thought this would be brought up.

It was about my autism. Now granted, I have talked to my other family members about it and my grandmother got me to watch most of Temple Grande, which became an influence in my life after watching. Like me, she also has a case of autism and she reminds me in some ways. It was a good movie, I'll have to watch it in full form to get the full pictures.

However, my brother brought this subject up from a different perspective. He asked why I even had autism. He didn't get it, aside from my lack of social activity, he detected nothing that would be a subject of autism. I brought up that I used to eat only a very limited amount of food, but I now eat anything I get my hand on that is ediable (With a few minor exceptions such as salads, boy I hate salads). He counter my arguement by saying I was eating junk food there.

He said that we would be similar had I not had autism and he would be similar to me if he did have autism. This was something that I find weird, but interesting to discuss. He said if I was a little more curious, I would be doing more of the things that he likes to do (Which I currently disapprove of). I like to think alot, but I'm not that kind of person who said "I'm going to do think because I want to know what happens.". That's why I mostly think before acting.

It was an pretty good converstation to talk about. Something that was related to both me and my brother. something we could link to. Maybe we are similar, but we can't notice it or act that way differently.

My brother told me not to tell anyone of our converstation, but I'll make an exception on the Internet, since after all, you won't tell my grandparents, right? With that nice converstation fresh in my mind, I want to ask a question.

Because of that, I am considering changing how I live my life. Not this moment, but after I get a job and can start affording things I want more often. So I ask you a question:

Should I change the way I live and do things or should I remain my old self? This is just a question, nothing else.

Thank you for reading.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Congrats on your aspies, join seemingly the rest of the internet : /
And just so you know, you can change if you want, and human interaction > computer tbh.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Has your life brought you the outcomes that you desire? It's not so simple as "I like to be alone." If you can say, "I like to be alone, and that decision hasn't adversely affected other areas of my life," then you should stay the way you are.

But if you find that remaining in your comfort zone has cost you some things (and they don't even have to be tangible), then it may be time for you to venture outside of your norm.

I would suggest you take a chance and try something new. Nothing too out there, but something where you can compare the new experiences to the old ones and make a choice.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Its funny how much the both of us are alike. I am also Autistic: Asperger's Syndrome to be exact.

Like you, I am high-functioning, meaning your on the mild end of the spectrum. Like you, I am not usually a socially active person in real life. You didn't mention you have trouble making friends, but more often than not, I do, and usually grouping myself with people with similar interests.

I don't dislike Footbal, but I have no interest in it as a sport. I am also very picky about my foods, but recently I have been eating some new things (including Bell Peppers, Pizza, Onion, Green Onion, Rice Noodles, Chicken-Fried Steak, Trout) and some new recipes (Stir-Fry). I also think of myself as underweight, but I tend not to attempt overeating.

We're similar you and I, but I bet our philosophies are different.

highfive

Smash Lord
Do it. Change your life. I'm assuming your an introvert and your brother is an extrovert. That's pretty much it. I know a slightly autistic person as well and he's pretty normal to me. We're not exactly close friends but if your having a casual conversation with him in the hall way you'd never really know. He plays sports and I've had a weight lifting class with him as well. He's an extrovert and quite frankly, I believe he's even more outgoing then myself. Which is interesting as I'm always going around and yelling at Freshman for screwing up in the weights room and goofing off with my friends in the halls.

D

Deleted member

@Jam Stunna, Highfive, and Man of Popsicle: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to find something new to do, especially when I get a job.

@Beren Zaiga: It's really nice to have a person who is similar to me. BTW, is Asperger's Syndrome the same thing as being autistic?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Its funny how much the both of us are alike. I am also Autistic: Asperger's Syndrome to be exact.

Like you, I am high-functioning, meaning your on the mild end of the spectrum. Like you, I am not usually a socially active person in real life. You didn't mention you have trouble making friends, but more often than not, I do, and usually grouping myself with people with similar interests.

I don't dislike Footbal, but I have no interest in it as a sport. I am also very picky about my foods, but recently I have been eating some new things (including Bell Peppers, Pizza, Onion, Green Onion, Rice Noodles, Chicken-Fried Steak, Trout) and some new recipes (Stir-Fry). I also think of myself as underweight, but I tend not to attempt overeating.

We're similar you and I, but I bet our philosophies are different.
High fives for Asperger's!

Grunt

Smash Master
I half expected this blog to be written by Insane Carzy Guy telling us why he can't coherently type sentences.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
@Jam Stunna, Highfive, and Man of Popsicle: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to find something new to do, especially when I get a job.

@Beren Zaiga: It's really nice to have a person who is similar to me. BTW, is Asperger's Syndrome the same thing as being autistic?
Yes, it is. Asperger's Syndrome is a term that is used to describe a part of the autism spectrum. Each case is varied, and all kids with Autism are placed varyingly on the spectrum. How you are rated on that spectrum depends on the characteristics you exhibit, and to what degree you exhibit them. The lower you are on spectrum, the more severe your case is, the higher you are, the less severe your case is.

If you are high on the spectrum on a certain characteristic, you can make yourself learn to grow out of it. It takes time, but it can happen. The fact I used to be so strictly picky with foods is an example, and now I am attempting to broaden my horizons (though there are alot of foods I still will not eat due to their texture rather than their taste).

My mother explained it to me, but much of it didn't stick so easily. So explaining it further will be a bit of a challenge.

mzink*

Smash Ace
I'd suggest reading Temple Grandin's books, they are very good. As an aspie I can tell you that things do get easier OVER TIME. It does take time time time, and you have to be willing to put yourself into situations that will force you to evolve outside your comfort zone.

Temple Grandin really is an incredible woman, I have talked to her on the phone a few times. She sort of helped me find the first stepping stone to moving forward. As I change as a person I slowly lose the mentality I had when Aspergers had a greater affect on me, but it will always be part of who I am.

D

Deleted member

I'll be remembering this blog for awhile as it might be a tale of my first stepping stones into a new phase into my life.

@Grunt: That would be funny.

@Beren Zaiga: Very interesting to hear. Also, thanks for the encoruagement.

@mzink*: She actually wrote books? Nice to hear that, I'll try to find some from her next time I go to the library at school. What's also cool that you've manage to get in contact with her. Also, thanks for the encouragement.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Here is a link to the many books and videos she has http://www.templegrandin.com/templegrandinbooks.html

I myself have read

Thinking In Pictures,
Emergence: Labeled Autistic,
Animals in Translation - Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior,
Developing Talents - Careers for Individuals with Autism/Aspergers
The Way I See It - A Personal Look at Autism and Aspergers

They are all EXCELLENT. She is a great author and really helps you understand things. Definitely one of the most important things I ever did for myself was read her books

Temple Grandin now works as a professor at a college university, though I can't recall which off the top of my head but if you search it you should find it. I sent her an email through the college website and she asked for a number that she could reach me and called me right away! I was pretty surprised and pleased. This was about 4 years ago.

Good luck :)

D

Deleted member

@mzink*: Just want to say thank you so much for the recommendation there. I really do apperatice it. I'll try to find one of them in my school library, starting with The Way I See It.

Top Bottom