• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
Actually, no, I haven't tried it again... Guess I'll try.

EDIT: Yeeeaahhh...still nothing.
haha that sucks
maybe if u make a copy and delete the contents of the texture folder O.O
then it'll work
going out on a limb right now

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
So, I tried exporting the PPark Blaziken model and replacing it with C.Falcon. I renamed some of the bones--y'know, the ones like TopN and HipN, just to see how each move would basically look-- and it saved fine. I loaded it onto Brawl, and nothing had changed. C.Falcon's model was still there. When I re-loaded the file in BBox, the model is completely white and the textures don't apply.

??????? I think it has to do with the textures...
If you tried replacing a character and it didn't load, then perhaps you didn't save it as a PCS file? Most characters use PCS, but a few use PACs (like Wario, Bowser and Samus, for example). And yes, it is something to do with the textures. I did a test by transferring the material data from MegaMan's drill (well, the properties of the 2nd layer, since it was the same size) over to the one I put on Jigglypuff's head.

After re-arranging the header, it worked (and seems brighter than usual, and... also see-through? XP).

When I changed the header back to the way it was organized originally...

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Gonna try this with the polygon header in a few minutes. Results later.

Wiimote

Smash Cadet
^ Say, TBush would rearranging the texture header resolve my problem with my Moonview Highway stage, or will it only work with characters?

Also, what parts of the header did you re-arrange?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
^ Say, TBush would rearranging the texture header resolve my problem with my Moonview Highway stage, or will it only work with characters?

Also, what parts of the header did you re-arrange?
Maybe. Send it to me and I'll check it out after I do a few more tests.

Wiimote

Smash Cadet
Alrighty, sent PM. Thanks! ^^

(Dunno if the collision data will look right with the model in-game, but it looked right for me in BrawlBox itself.)

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
hey guys so ive been able to create a space " " where the 3F's are
BUT apparentlly 90 is no the same as a " " because a " " is 20
so can anyone find out what 90 is?

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
If you tried replacing a character and it didn't load, then perhaps you didn't save it as a PCS file? Most characters use PCS, but a few use PACs (like Wario, Bowser and Samus, for example). And yes, it is something to do with the textures. I did a test by transferring the material data from MegaMan's drill (well, the properties of the 2nd layer, since it was the same size) over to the one I put on Jigglypuff's head.
*facepalm*

It's a .pac... Lemme try saving it as a .pcs... I'm still so used to having both .pac and .pcs files from ASH...

EDIT: Well, as expected, the game froze. But, it's progress!

LordshadowRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
*facepalm*

It's a .pac... Lemme try saving it as a .pcs... I'm still so used to having both .pac and .pcs files from ASH...

Indeed. The game freezing at least says it tried to process whatever you did. You just did whatever you did wrong. I look forward to the eventual success.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Yep. This is also progress.

I tried Wiimote's Moonview Highway stage, after correcting the material headers (polygon headers didn't seem to cause problems with the things I tried). It's... really frickin' picky right now. It only loads up with specific characters, BUT IT LOADS.

It seems to put you very far underground (you can see part of the course on the top-right).

And there was the occasional graphical glitch that I managed to take a picture of.

However, I was able to play a few matches with it being buggy and all... but as soon as I paused or picked specific characters to fight as, it made the game commit sideways (suicide).

So, if it went that far, then that's gotta mean something. :)

Wiimote

Smash Cadet
Oh my gosh, that's great news!
Thanks again, TBush! ^^

Say, can you please send me the .pac for the edited Moonview through PM please, or maybe at least tell me what you re-arranged?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Oh my gosh, that's great news!
Thanks again, TBush! ^^

Say, can you please send me the .pac for the edited Moonview through PM please, or maybe at least tell me what you re-arranged?
Not just yet. I want to find out how to fix this error, first. And then try this method with a few more things.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Well, one test attempt keeps freezing the game (could be because it's either not compatible with the Red Alloy, or I didn't re-name the bones), buuuuuuuuuuuut... I'll let this picture speak for itself.

(60 second pose, durr hurr.)

I'll try replacing one of the Pokémon in Pokémon Stadium 2 with Blaziken and see what happens.

(EDIT: Didn't work. Shucks.)

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
We already have a few MDL0 to DAE converters, we just need to get them back to MDL0. The reason I ask is because I want to look into converting models from PS3 games to DAE or a similar format, so if you can get DAE to convert to MDL0, then we'll be able to have models from other games besides Nintendo.

Are there any that will work on the primary-colored Alloys?

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
hey guys I just thought of something
i recently saw two posts on kitty corp about there cloud project and them putting his model in the game.
couldn't we do something like that with models with other games?(not sure if they took a model from another game.)
or is it a totally different process than i think?(i don't know a lot about model hacking)

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Yep. This is also progress.

I tried Wiimote's Moonview Highway stage, after correcting the material headers (polygon headers didn't seem to cause problems with the things I tried). It's... really frickin' picky right now. It only loads up with specific characters, BUT IT LOADS.

It seems to put you very far underground (you can see part of the course on the top-right).

And there was the occasional graphical glitch that I managed to take a picture of.

However, I was able to play a few matches with it being buggy and all... but as soon as I paused or picked specific characters to fight as, it made the game commit sideways (suicide).

So, if it went that far, then that's gotta mean something. :)
wooooow
even if this is a glitch. it still mega awesome 8D

I got a funny feeling are not in hawaiiland. you will fix this problem to night :3 (then I am asleep, its morning for me now D: )

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Interesting progress with Blaziken.

I put Blaziken's model and textures over both Red Alloy and Olimar--C.Falcon has too many bones. So, I tried Brawling with Red Alloy first, and it made it up to the "READY TO BRAWL!" screen, right after you select a stage. It froze, but not normally. There was no BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP whatsoever. It was completely silent. It took me about 2 minutes to realize that the game had frozen. I think I'm getting very close here...

When I tried playing as Olimar, the game froze again at the same spot, but the beep was really, really quiet. And YES, I had my tv volume turned up. I'm almost certain that it's the textures I'm messing up.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was able to export Blaziken to a DAE (which explains why it was fully rigged in the screenshot I took) by modifying the polygon (turns out I need to change them after all) and materials headers, and then putting it through AiS 0.1.1. But, something causes it to choke and crash when I put it through AiS 0.1.3. If I find out what else needs to be changed to get it to work in AiS 0.1.3, then I might've found out how to make it work in Brawl.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

I put Blaziken's model and textures over both Red Alloy and Olimar--C.Falcon has too many bones. So, I tried Brawling with Red Alloy first, and it made it up to the "READY TO BRAWL!" screen, right after you select a stage. It froze, but not normally. There was no BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP whatsoever. It was completely silent. It took me about 2 minutes to realize that the game had frozen. I think I'm getting very close here...

When I tried playing as Olimar, the game froze again at the same spot, but the beep was really, really quiet. And YES, I had my tv volume turned up. I'm almost certain that it's the textures I'm messing up.
just fyi, a silent freeze is no different than a regular freeze, except there was no sound playing at the time of the freeze

also, this stuff is really cool. TBush, youre awesome

n64billy

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was able to export Blaziken to a DAE (which explains why it was fully rigged in the screenshot I took) by modifying the polygon (turns out I need to change them after all) and materials headers, and then putting it through AiS 0.1.1. But, something causes it to choke and crash when I put it through AiS 0.1.3. If I find out what else needs to be changed to get it to work in AiS 0.1.3, then I might've found out how to make it work in Brawl.
Someone set up the red carpet for this kid! (I call everyone a kid by the way)

Are you working on a program that automaticly would make the models compatible with Brawl? Or are you just finding a method that we could follow to get it working. (Similar to how you showed us how to get them working in Brawl Box)

ds22

Smash Lord
You mean usable as in Trophy only or fully usable as in replacing a Fighter.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Someone set up the red carpet for this kid! (I call everyone a kid by the way)

Are you working on a program that automaticly would make the models compatible with Brawl? Or are you just finding a method that we could follow to get it working. (Similar to how you showed us how to get them working in Brawl Box)
I'm finding a method that you could follow to get 'em working yourself. Once I figure out what else needs to be changed. (I'm getting close if Moonview Highway is partially working, and if I can export models to DAE.)

You mean usable as in Trophy only or fully usable as in replacing a Fighter.
I'm trying as a trophy first, but then if that works, as a fighter.

ds22

Smash Lord
I'm finding a method that you could follow to get 'em working yourself. Once I figure out what else needs to be changed. (I'm getting close if Moonview Highway is partially working, and if I can export models to DAE.)
I'm trying as a trophy first, but then if that works, as a fighter.
Nice.
I'm looking forward to it.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
As a quick note, I believe most 3D DS games also use a variant on the mld0 file.
It's the transitional format between BMD and MDL0.

I saw the header to a DS model in a hex editor. It was something like this in ASCII:
BMDxxxxxMDL0
(Whereas the x's are just random header bytes.)

I saw this while my friend was hacking Sonic Rush Adventure (Namely just model swapping).

Sorry to respond to such and aged post, I just wanted to confirm this.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Are there any that will work on the primary-colored Alloys?
...You mean converters? I don't think so.

When the game freezes, it freezes on the same note that whatever noise that was playing was at, hence the beep. If there is no sound whatsoever playing at the time (such as when a stage is loading), then it will not have a beep.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
hey guys im still trying to work on my program but as it fails over and over im loosing my self confidence
so anyone that knows any language can u help me get some insight on hex editing files directly with a program in ANYTHING?!
i just need some ideas because this is really stumping me

EDIT: i have officially given up

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
no they arn't that's what my program used to do
change the bytes according to location
but when i tried it with 2 different models it came up with 2 different things

EDIT: ZOMG i got my program to work
im putting the finishing touches now

EDIT: ok so i got the editing to work but when java writes the file it still adds the 3F's no matter wat i try and the 3F's replace different number bits so really have no idea how to fix it

BUT if anyone can find a simple exe or bat file that converts a txt file with hex numbers in it to regular ASCII (like if u open the .brres with notepad) then i can incporperate that into the package with my program which then allows it to work

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
god... it would be good but because of the fact that JAVA doesn't support the characters that that notepad does my program doesn't work
but if someone can make a hex to ascii converter using a bat file or just anyfile u can find on the internet that would be great
that's all i need for my program to work

Top Bottom