• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA/PA Oct. 4 Monstar's Monthlies begin featuring Melee, Brawl and Brawl+

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
When: October 4th

Where:
North American Rod & Gun Club
12108 Belvedere Rd
Hagerstown, MD 21742
(301) 739-4440

It is right off of Jefferson. There should be a fairly big sign pointing the way. You will enter a gate. It will say private property but don't worry about that and keep going down the road. It is a fairly long road but it is straight so you shouldn't get lost. At the end of the road is the club.

Schedule:
11:00 A.M.: Registration
12:30 P.M. Melee Singles
3:00 Brawl Singles
5:30 Brawl+ singles

Fee:
$5 Dollar venue fee
$ 5 dollars an event (Melee, Brawl, and Brawl+)

If you bring Wii+Brawl/Brawl+/Melee, your venue is reduced to $3, and if you bring a full setup (wii + TV + Brawl) your venue is waived.

Payouts (Singles <30 people): 60/30/10
Payouts (Singles >30 pepole): 60/25/10/5

Rules: (these are pretty standard)

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* Sets best of 3
Finals will be played best of 5.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port or to save on time you could just agree to something on your own.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined by stock then percentage. If percentage is the same then a 1 stock tie breaker match will be played using the same characters and same stage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* Since Bowsercide is completely port dependent. Bowser automatically wins if he uses bowsercide to get the final KO regardless of port or who the game says to be the winner.

* You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

* Ganon/Dedede/Kirbyciding- This results in a one-stock run off, regardless of who the game says is the winner (unless the person broke out at the last second and kirby/d3 died first). Ganon losing/tieing is controller port dependent.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 200% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Players pick character. Double blind pick may be called
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned from counterpicks or neutrals for the set
4. The first game is played on a stage that both players agree on. If agreement cannot be made then random stage from neutrals.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Additional Rules for Double's Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON

Additional Rules

* Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

* Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock then percentages. If the percentages are the same then a 1 stock tie breaker match will be played with same characters and same stage. At no time will sudden death be played.

Wiimotes and classic controllers are allowed but we would prefer if you used gamecube. You are responsible for your controller. Take any necessary actions to prevent interference such as removing batteries.

*Don't be douche.

Stage Lists

Starter Stages: (each player may strike a stage for the first game of each set)

Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield

Counterpick stages:

Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island DS
Delfino
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon

Basically, no obscenely homo stages are allowed, therefore making the game more playable and less of a frustration
Melee rules

Melee will be run slightly differently.

The matches will be 4 stocks instead of three.
The time limit will be 7 minutes instead of eight
Wobbling, rising pound, and peach bomb stall are all banned

Neutral
Final destination
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
DK 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi Melee

CounterpickPokefloats
Corneria
Majora Mask
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Kirby Melee
Mute City

Banned stages
Yoshi Island (64)
Hyrule Temple
Termina
Lylat System- Venom
Lylat System-Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom- Princess Peach's castle
Eagleland- Fourside
Planet Zebes Brinstar Depths
Infinite Glacier - Icicle Mountain
Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Island
Eagleland Onett
F Zero Grand Prix - Big Blue
Superflat world - Flat Zone
Mushroom Kingdom
Mushroom Kingdom 2
DK Island Kongo Jungle

Brawl+
A lot like Melee
4 stock with a 7 minute timer
Latest nightly build will be used.

StarterBattlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 2

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Wario Ware
Rainbow Cruise

Banned
Distant Planet (moved from C)
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion (moved from C)
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) (moved from C)
Norfair (moved from C)
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria (moved from C)
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit

Brawl+ stagelist is subject to change.

Housing
I may be able to do housing. It will be five bucks a person and I will be able to house five people. It will be on a first come first serve basis, but I reserve the right to refuse anyone. Also I reserve the right to kick you out at any time. I am a reasonable person, so I won’t kick you out without a good reason. So don’t give me a reason.

IMPORTANT

* There is a bar for those over 21, however you are prohibited from getting alcohol until after the entire tournament is over and completed.

*Please do not bring any outside drinks or food into the club. You can order food at the clubs grill. Prices range from 3-7 dollars depending on what you order. It is your general bar food. Hamburgers, chicken tenders, fries, onion rings and so on.
*Don’t clog the toilets and please try to pick up after yourself. The club is kind enough to rent out their space to us. Should there be any property damage or large mess please see me, herfderf, or any of my other staff members immediately and we will take care of it.

Legal
Please read the above information carefully. By participating, you are agreeing to follow all rules. Any failure to do so can and will result in you being asked to leave (no refund). Also by participating you are agreeing not to hold us responsible for any property or personal loss or damage.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Cool, I'll probably be there.

G-Reg, teams+?

Edit: aaaah no teams, dammit...

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
We are going to try a cheaper entry fee for this and see how it goes.

Sorry no teams. With three events we are going to be pushing time as it is. We may be able to fit one more thing in if all goes well.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Dang it!!!!!!!!!!! Hagerstown is too far for me :(

I hate my life
There is still a month to go you may be able to find a ride if you ask. Definitely need to get a carpool system setup for our region. I know for most it is a good distance. It is how we feel for every tournament.

I forgot to add the housing bit so I added that.

Herfderf

Smash Cadet
I may enter one of these this time seeing as it's $5. If I win at least one round I can die happy :3

I'm also looking forward to Brawl+ this time. I never got to play it last time even though it was right in front of me :(

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
meleeeeeee
Gather up the Melee community and have them come to this. I really don't want to have to cancel Melee again due to lack of interest.

I myself may even participate. I am worse at Melee than I am at brawl but I have been really working on my L-cancelling these last couple of weeks.

I look forward to brawl+. I am really curious as to what it is like.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I look forward to brawl+. I am really curious as to what it is like.
You should come to Hackfest this weekend then :chuckle:

It's in Westminster, a little over an hour from Hagerstown and probably the closest any other MD tourney will get to you until Pound 4.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
...isn't this the same day NJ doing that guaranteed 1000$ pot touny?
I was wondering why it wasn't showing up when I searched the date. World Gaming is the day before this.

@Jcaesar- I am going to DC that day but you should certainly hold more.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I feel bad that the world gaming event got cancelled. Wish we could do something to make up/help out.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Yeah, Really wish I could but the venue is booked. Choose the date because I had an obligation to the sponsor.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Cape and I plan on coming for Brawl+.

Also, people should play me in TMNT Smash Up.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
you think you can get at least 10 for melee?

if not i dont think im coming
I am certainly working on it. I think there is a decent chance that we could get 10 for melee. A bunch of unknowns maybe but that just means easy money for you.

@Jcaesar- I am certainly entering brawl+ and I am sure herf and some other are as well. Beta mentioned he was going to bring 15 dollars. I am not sure if that means he is playing brawl+, melee, or bringing a setup and playing all three.

Didn't you say that you would try to get back into melee a little bit?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i mean its on a sunday i will DEF come for melee, travis just pick me up on the way... gotta support melee.

newb and g-reg would prob come to, and jcaes said hed prob enter melee if there was a b+ tourney.

jcaes if u enter melee ill enter b+!!!!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I was thinking about making it so whichever game brought in the most people, that community would get a doubles event. I am not sure that would go over too well though.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
That seems like a good way to do things.

Did it work out well?

A lot of local players seem interested. I can't tell if they are just saying they are coming to be nice or they are really coming.

I keep hearing that TMNT smash up is a poorly designed game that could never be played competitively. If someone brings it I wouldn't mind trying it out. You can't always trust what other people say about a game.

forute

Smash Ace
i'll bring it if i can find a ride to this
lol it's kinda shallow, even compared to smash. feels a little stiff too, but it's cool i guess

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I got to play TMNT

there is no team attack for teams, so throw that out the window, otherwise (*insert secret JCaesar/Bandit trick here*)

Free for alls were the most fun, but grabs are too broken

I'm sure someone will make smashed up+ though, don't worry

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Grabs aren't broken once you learn to grab break/reverse (not easy though).

I don't see a problem with having teams with team attack off either. There aren't any spammy projectiles in this game.

I'm not sure if I'm coming to this anymore though. My plans may have changed.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Yeah, I heard that everyone had incredible grab range and grabs were hard to defend against. I would like to try it out to see if it really does have issues or players just need to get better at the game.

I was wondering when you where going to mention changing your plans.

Coney

Smash Master
i played a bit of it

seems like defense is INCREDIBLY BAD in that game. the spotdodges, rolls and shields are awful. i got grabbed out of rolls a lot!

personally, i hated it :<

Herfderf

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind trying it if it's there.

So I'm thinking we'll be able to get the usual Rock Band setup. Any other games someone's interested in?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, I heard that everyone had incredible grab range and grabs were hard to defend against. I would like to try it out to see if it really does have issues or players just need to get better at the game.

I was wondering when you where going to mention changing your plans.
Bandit can reverse my grabs about half the time now, and reversing them gives you a huge frame advantage. They're certainly not as overpowering as they seemed at first.

And sorry about the plan change. I really wish I could make it to both tourneys this weekend, but I had to choose one, and Chu's was getting more Brawl+ interest (along with better competition), plus it makes my other weekend plans work out better. I do hope you keep hosting these though, I like the bigger and more laid-back venue.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
i played a bit of it

seems like defense is INCREDIBLY BAD in that game. the spotdodges, rolls and shields are awful. i got grabbed out of rolls a lot!

personally, i hated it :<
Don't you play Smash 64 and Strikers? I find that those two games have awful defense as well. Yet they are both incredibly fun and highly competitive.

@JCaesar
Sounds like the game hasn't been flushed out enough to really know whether it is a good game or not.

Yeah that is alright. Of course we will keep hosting. Glad you like the venue. Make sure you come for the tournament on the 21st. Lobos may still need to organize a rock band team.

Coney

Smash Master
nah, strikers is actually extremely balanced between offense and defense. you HAVE to have a good defense to stop a lot of the tricks in that game. smash 64 is also kinda defensive in the sense that you HAVE to play close to the hip, or you get super hyper combo finished

i just don't like TMNT. just feels kinda...i dunno.

i do like the ninja rabbid though, and not just because he's WACKY. i like his moveset a lot. how good is he supposed to be? how about donatello (his range seems like it makes him crazy good)? i hear raphael is bad, though, he was always my favorite @_@

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The general consensus right now (though obviously the game hasn't developed much) is that Karai, Foot Ninja, and Leo are top tier, Donny and Splinter (my current main) are up there, Raph is meh, and the rabbids all suck. It's so early in the game's life though, it's hard to tell.

Just look at Brawl's early tier lists (like from the first month). They were all way off, and that game had significantly more competitive players from the start.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Brawl's early Tier List:

I remember saying this:

"Top tier will be: Metaknight, Toon Link, Pit, Ike, Marth, Fox, Falco, G&W"
"High tier will be: Snake, Kirby, Wolf, R.O.B., Zero Suit Samus"

so a couple weeks in is probably a bad guess, unless one character stands out above the rest (like karai), because we all knew metaknight was the best from day 1

Top Bottom