• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 10, 2014] Toasted Ravs 4 (St. Louis, MO)

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Schedule:

10:00 AM - Registration
11:00 AM - Registration for PM Singles/Melee Doubles closes
11:30 AM - PM Pools
12:30 - Melee Doubles
12:30 - Registration for Melee Singles/PM Doubles closes
1:30 - Begin Melee Pools (Doubles will still continue, but those who are finished will begin their pool matches)
2:30 - PM Single bracket starts
5:00 - Dinner Break (you can leave for dinner as soon as you're done with pools, but be back by 6 for bracket. You will know if you're in bracket before you leave for dinner)
6:00 - Melee Singles Bracket starts.
6:30 - Estimated PM Singles Finals
7:00 - PM Doubles Bracket starts.
8:00 - Possible Amateur Bracket.
9:00 - Estimated melee finals matches.
10:00 - Estimated PM Doubles finals matches.
11:00 - Estimated end time.
12:00 - Go home or to Uncle Bill's pancakes.

Fees:
Venue Fee = $5
Stream Fee = $2
Melee Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
Melee Singles = $10
PM Doubles = TBD
PM Singles = $10

Payouts:
<35 entrants {1st = 60%; 2nd = 30%; 3rd = 10%}
35-59 entrants {1st = 50%; 2nd = 25%; 3rd = 15%; 4th = 10%}
60-100 entrants {1st =40%; 2nd = 25%; 3rd = 15%; 4rd = 10%; both 5ths = 5%}

A couple new details and things to highlight:
  • Venue fee is waived for bringing a full setup. We have enough money leftover from last time's VF's and raffle.
  • TV's will be labeled by Game (PM or Melee), then by number. Most likely, your setup will be used for your preferred game.
  • We may set a streaming fee ($2 max). We need to have a person paid to sit there to manage the streaming set up. It will be much higher quality this time, so it will be worth your money. All GF's will be streamed.
  • For the first time, we'll do a graduated payout system.
  • Melee Doubles are now $20 per team ($10 per entrant). Payouts for 3rd have been historically weak.
  • Amateur bracket is still a possibility if there is enough interest, and if there is enough time.

Ruleset for Melee Singles & Doubles:
Double Elimination Style
All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, Quarters and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
Items OFF
Friendly Fire ON for doubles
Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
Wobbling is legal.
Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
Stupid glitches are banned. I shouldn't have to tell you to avoid making a black hole.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.

Choosing a character:
In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a neutral 3rd party or a piece of paper.

Stage strike from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. RPS for first stage ban.
2. First player strikes one stage.
3. Second player strikes the next two stages.
4. First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.

Stagelist for Singles:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium
Stagelist for Doubles:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (no bans in BO5's)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

General Gameplay Rules:
BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for friendly setups, but please revert it to normal melee for tournament matches.

General Info and Venue Rules:
The office space you are looking for specifically is the "Tupperware" one. It's hard to miss, and very pink. Please don't walk into the Russian/Israeli Combat studio by mistake. It will be the worst mistake of your life.

Please park in the gravel lot on the south side (Northrup Ave side) of the building. DO NOT park in the Russian/Israeli Combat spots...

Please bring your own food if you plan on eating in the venue. Don't eat the food or ice cream in the fridge. But you may buy soda or the Keurig coffees that are available in the kitchen. 50 cents for soda, $1 per coffee. Honor system.

There are plenty of good restaurants around. If you're tired of the craziness, take a break and have a nice candlelit Italian dinner at Favazza's with your gamer bro or something. Lots of good food in the area. If you're not local to STL, check out "The Hill" online if you're interested.

Please respect this space and the commercial lot that it is on. Most of the other businesses that work within the lot don't come in on weekends, but avoid doing illegal activities in plain view or in closets, bathrooms, etc... The place is owned by a landlord who frequents the location, so let's avoid trouble so we can continue using this space.

We will be streaming this time, and the internet is newly installed, and much faster! Anyone else is also welcome to bring their recording setup in addition.

Please RSVP!! And bring set ups and CRT TV's! Venue fee is waived if you bring a full setup. And bring friends! Plenty of space here. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
General Info and Venue Rules:
The office space you are looking for specifically is the "Tupperware" one. It's hard to miss, and very pink. Please don't walk into the Russian/Israeli Combat studio by mistake. It will be the worst mistake of your life.
this might be a candidate for a new signature

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
If this happens to be a circuit event Nebraska will be here possibly with more than just me/sm3esh/jbm.

darkatma

Smash Hero
If this happens to be a circuit event Nebraska will be here possibly with more than just me/sm3esh/jbm.
We're unsure if it is officially a circuit event but it may as well be. So far we've seen interest from Chicago including dart and Tink, as well as a couple others. I'll continue doing some PR and advertising, but see to it that nebraska can make it out as much as possible!

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'd love to come regardless but 5 month old child johns. If I can frame it as "This is important, I have to go" to my girlfriend it works out better than "Now I know you worked all week, but, dude, I'm going to another smash tournament, enjoy your Saturday, hope you can find a sitter, love ya!"

Though playing one of the best sheiks is a good enough reason maybe ;)

I'm NOT planning my local on this date, fyi, so even though maybe I can't go, Devon(sm3esh) has said he wants to make it out to more tournaments and Nebraska has been having 20+ locals the last 4 tournaments as opposed to 12 mans and there is way more interest, possibly for travel. I'll run it by the facebook group.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I think he'll be there for doubles, so me and him will tear up that bracket. Karl, I'll definitely play better than I did last night. Beer+teams=bad teammate.

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
I think he'll be there for doubles, so me and him will tear up that bracket. Karl, I'll definitely play better than I did last night. Beer+teams=bad teammate.
Yea. Gotta get my fox ready for teams. I'd enter PM singles also if it could get finished by 4:30.

Edit: that reminds me; What version of PM are we at? 3.1 still?

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yea. Gotta get my fox ready for teams. I'd enter PM singles also if it could get finished by 4:30.

Edit: that reminds me; What version of PM are we at? 3.1 still?
3.02, but in terms of competitive experience, the only thing I can think of is Kirby having a horizontal Air Cutter; the other differences are mainly aesthetic.

EDIT: Thanks, SB.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
3.02, but in terms of competitive experience, there is no difference between the versions; the only differences are aesthetic.
Ehh there are a couple things like Kirby having a grounded horizontal Up-B Cutter.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, I changed the schedule some to make sure we could stream both games to their fullest so check it out again if you havent!

metroid1117

Smash Master
1 week hype!

Also, I'll be bringing a PM setup along with my recording setup.

To clarify, are pools going to be Round Robin? Also, which sets for the actual bracket will be Bo5?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pools will be Round Robin. Winners Semis, Losers Semis, and all Finals matches will be 3/5.

Top Bottom