• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread: WHAT TIME IS IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm telling you its 55-45 in diddy's favor against dk. This is assuming both the diddy player and the dk are very good. Dk gets camped, but he can swat them with SH aerials, such as a nair.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, just a counterpick question — DK should ban FD, but then where should he take Diddy if he gets the chance? Japes? Brinstar? Rainbow Ride?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I'm telling you its 55-45 in diddy's favor against dk. This is assuming both the diddy player and the dk are very good. Dk gets camped, but he can swat them with SH aerials, such as a nair.
That sounds fair. Like I said I feel its about even, but I could see it being 55-45 Diddy. It really seems to depend on how much the stage allows Diddy to camp and keep control of bananas.

Uhh, just a counterpick question — DK should ban FD, but then where should he take Diddy if he gets the chance? Japes? Brinstar? Rainbow Ride?
Brinstar seems like a good pick, but I don't use the stage a lot myself so my experience their isn't as good as others. I actually use RC a little with DK, just because I play the stage a lot and feel comfortable there, but I don't think I've ever played a good Diddy on the stage, so I'm not sure about the match there.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
just let it be 55-45 since hes not going to allow it a 50-50. hes been fighting it the whole time might as well. next char please~

gantrain05

Smash Master
yea he only has "speed and bananas" on DK. Speed is only the single most important factor in ****ing Brawl. And bananas are only the single best projectile in the game. And its not like DK is a huge, slow target. A defensive diddy with bananas?....DK has no approach. Zero on diddy. The reason DK can beat MK, and what i've learned from playing Lee and other top MKs, is because DK is actually able to play defensive vs MK. But Diddy forces DK to approach.

DK's b.air is nice, except it requires you're back to be turned and its just a tad...Advertised. Not to mention Diddy's options to punish such as shield-GT-banana...or even SH b.air, auto-canceled Sex, to anything he wants.
Face to face, diddy always wins w/ his f.air. It works exceptionally well at edgeguarding DK, much like DK's B.air on diddy.
but i guess we'll just agree to disagree. next character.
wtf man? if speed was the single most important factor in this game, than sonic and falcon would be god tier, DK is slower than ALOT of chars and he STILL has many advantages, your argument is null. bananas are NOT the single best projectile man, any projectile that can be used against yourself is not the best projectile, if your opponent knows how to deal with the bananas its really not that big of a deal, DK can approach and space with tilts, he doesn't need to put himself into a **** situation, you don't seem to understand that, go ahead and try to punish DK's Dtilt, or just to dash attack into that banana that u seem to need all the time and run into DK's Down B, face to face, diddy will not win, GOOD DK's know how to use their SUPER ARMOR, his Fair isn't gonna beat ****, DK's arial game >>>>>> diddy's its not even an argument. this matchup is easy 50-50, i think you guys are really overrating diddy.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
To get this through to all people that think DIddy can gimp DK easily, they can't. The easiest gimp that he has is z droping banana to spike. Which BTW isn't that applicable since DK can stall his up B a **** load. Peanuts are a joke for gimping him. I'm sorry I hate it when it sounds like I'm just blabbering words but seriuosly you have to know that DK can gimp diddy much harder. Forward b to up b is a diddy common thing to get back on stage. Just wait and then gimp, it's not super complicated.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
At full range if Diddy slides while DK is down bing he slides into hitbox. And then he can't combo if he tosses it from afar he no longer has the speed to combo. It's simple this isn't as black and white, it's about who can gain the momentum. I've played three of the best diddys in the US and top six in the world in my oppinion and we break even.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
D3 has the infinite grab not the chain grab. Chain grab is easy to work around, I've beat ever D3 player in tournament when chain grabs are banned. It's much easier matchup.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
only thing you really have to worry about his d3 bair and the rest is pretty much easy to avoid. assuming the chain grabs are banned.

fox, sonic, c.falcon, zss, and sheik for god tier because they are fast. yeah.... right...

DK is fast enough and i believe hes the fastest among the heavier characters if im not mistaken.

ADHD

Smash Hero
That sounds fair. Like I said I feel its about even, but I could see it being 55-45 Diddy. It really seems to depend on how much the stage allows Diddy to camp and keep control of bananas.

Brinstar seems like a good pick, but I don't use the stage a lot myself so my experience their isn't as good as others. I actually use RC a little with DK, just because I play the stage a lot and feel comfortable there, but I don't think I've ever played a good Diddy on the stage, so I'm not sure about the match there.
DK does well against a good diddy there, sort of. I got one down to the last stock at semi-high percents there, so it's a good cp because I couldn't have done better.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I think 55:45 Diddy or 50/50 is reasonable. I can't really see DK having any advantage but I think it's close enough that Diddy doesn't fully even soft counter DK either.

DUB

Smash Lord
wtf man? if speed was the single most important factor in this game, than sonic and falcon would be god tier, DK is slower than ALOT of chars and he STILL has many advantages, your argument is null. bananas are NOT the single best projectile man, any projectile that can be used against yourself is not the best projectile, if your opponent knows how to deal with the bananas its really not that big of a deal, DK can approach and space with tilts, he doesn't need to put himself into a **** situation, you don't seem to understand that, go ahead and try to punish DK's Dtilt, or just to dash attack into that banana that u seem to need all the time and run into DK's Down B, face to face, diddy will not win, GOOD DK's know how to use their SUPER ARMOR, his Fair isn't gonna beat ****, DK's arial game >>>>>> diddy's its not even an argument. this matchup is easy 50-50, i think you guys are really overrating diddy.
The whole, learning to use Diddy's projectiles against him idea is a myth. If any DK grabs a banana it's obvious what he's going to do. It really only hurts him. He could GT into a world of problems such as Barrel Cancels Shield grabs or another naner. If you play a good diddy and you think you know how to deal with bananas you are still going to get pummeled with them during the match. I don't know who's Diddy you have been playing, but this face to face on the ground with Diddy doesn't work at all for DK. GT OoS > DK. As long as Diddy is in front of DK in the air, DK shouldn't hit Diddy.

gantrain05

Smash Master
The whole, learning to use Diddy's projectiles against him idea is a myth. If any DK grabs a banana it's obvious what he's going to do. It really only hurts him. He could GT into a world of problems such as Barrel Cancels Shield grabs or another naner. If you play a good diddy and you think you know how to deal with bananas you are still going to get pummeled with them during the match. I don't know who's Diddy you have been playing, but this face to face on the ground with Diddy doesn't work at all for DK. GT OoS > DK. As long as Diddy is in front of DK in the air, DK shouldn't hit Diddy.
um, myth? no, your saying that no matter what anyone does with diddy's bananas he will still just always have the advantage, that is just plain stupid. DK has more options out of bananas than just throwing them into diddys face too you know, seeing as how i am a peach main, i know how to setup combos from items, in fact, bananas are even easier to set up combos with, even if you hit diddys shield with the banana DK is still out of range to be punished by diddy, unless dk is ******** and glide tosses right into his face, diddy doesn't have anything to outrange DK's tilts, which are COMPLETELY 100% safe after glide toss, i don't know what DK's you've been playing but your not playing the right ones.

DUB

Smash Lord
um, myth? no, your saying that no matter what anyone does with diddy's bananas he will still just always have the advantage, that is just plain stupid. DK has more options out of bananas than just throwing them into diddys face too you know, seeing as how i am a peach main, i know how to setup combos from items, in fact, bananas are even easier to set up combos with, even if you hit diddys shield with the banana DK is still out of range to be punished by diddy, unless dk is ******** and glide tosses right into his face, diddy doesn't have anything to outrange DK's tilts, which are COMPLETELY 100% safe after glide toss, i don't know what DK's you've been playing but your not playing the right ones.
The bananas are too easy to regain control of. It's best to just throw them off and pressure Diddy into using his Down+B in a exploitable situation. Let's say DK doesn't GT the banana and it was shielded. Now the Diddy picks it right back up and it becomes DK's problem again.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Your right but it stands to reason that just as diddy's will know what you want to do with the banana's. It makes sense that a top level player would know how to use them to his or her advantage. TO think they are an untouchable weapon is insane. Sure they can use them against you again, but if your smart they can also mess diddy up hard. I play in the land infested by diddy's and using banana's is necessary. Don't be stupid, people obviously diddy's would have better banana control than most people. That doesn't mean you can't use them against them.

And on another note, this matchup is not based on diddy being in front of you or in the air. DIddy will lose against a good Dk that has good stage presence and knows how to control the field and the momentum of the game. But the same can be said about a good Diddy player.

DUB

Smash Lord
Your right but it stands to reason that just as diddy's will know what you want to do with the banana's. It makes sense that a top level player would know how to use them to his or her advantage. TO think they are an untouchable weapon is insane. Sure they can use them against you again, but if your smart they can also mess diddy up hard. I play in the land infested by diddy's and using banana's is necessary. Don't be stupid, people obviously diddy's would have better banana control than most people. That doesn't mean you can't use them against them.

And on another note, this matchup is not based on diddy being in front of you or in the air. DIddy will lose against a good Dk that has good stage presence and knows how to control the field and the momentum of the game. But the same can be said about a good Diddy player.
Untochable weapon, of course not. I agree that they can be used as against diddy, obviously. The ease of getting them back is the part Im talking about which is becoming ever so redundant. I've had bananas used against me all the time, but I'm recovering them usually very quickly after they are thrown.

When I play Diddy vs. DK in the air, I usually don't try to compete with DK in the air. Never if I am behind him or above him. I use to get juggled so hard to trying to contest with u-airs.

CBK: How do usually fair against NAN3RZ?

CBK

Smash Journeyman
We go even, lately we haven't played since we haven't met up in brackets. We are team partners though.XD BUt when we did play it was even depending on who got momentum, same goes for TC1, QTP*Fastest Banana's around seriously*, I've fought countless other diddys. I use banana's against them all the time, well except for Q he's ridiculous at getting them back. I usually throw them away against him. We play together a lot and he reads me real well.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
If you are facing a bad Diddy, then go for the banana control. But be careful, because alot of people are extremely predicatble with bananas, and Diddy has ways to deal with bananas when they are in the oponents control.

If you are careful you can monkey jump right over a banana when it is being thrown. Usually when an oponent has a banana they throw it within a few seconds and thus this strategy usually works. After the hump I usually use Diddy's jabs and follow up into D-Tilt.

Also, Diddy can charge the rocketbarrels for an 18% explosion if they hit. Or Diddy can simply shield the banana.

My advice for DK's would be to try and be a little less predictable when you get a banana. Throwing a banana into the air or jumping and throwing the banana downwards might not be a bad decision. Diddy's will know how to act when they are losing control, so you have to be smart as well and not lose control of the match.

This match is very close. Diddy has the control for the majority of the match, but if he slips up then his stock is gone. That pretty much sums it all up.

ADHD

Smash Hero
My opinion on Diddy Kong:

OMFG CHE3PZORZ PIK WARIO PL0X

no, seriously, alt wario...or maybe falco
Diddy has a death combo on wario and can use that if he trips wario anywhere at the edge of the stage, also he can naner lock wario to the edge for that :D

Falco isn't a solid diddy counter at all. pick luigi, besides dk is only 45-55 against diddy

CBK

Smash Journeyman
See it's not that bad no need to counter pick and though I believe that depending on what level of play your at determines the match-up no reason to CP.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
HRm OLi didn't know that, but like I said in this matchup no need to CP.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Ah, but CBK, true DKs like you never counterpick anyway.

As long as we’re on the topic, where would you take Diddy?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I'd be surprised if Jungle Japes didn't work against Diddy.
Luigi's Mansion would be a double-edged sword. Diddy's up+b can do a lot of damage in a hurry on that stage, but we are obviously not without our advantages.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's, but they always ban it on me if they don't they lose. But Brinstar ***** their banana's. If it's not banned Rainbow cruise.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Lol, what I do is just Down-B/Up-B when I see/predict that they are about to glide toss/ dash at me.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
High level diddy's are a bit harder to fight than that but yeah those are good options.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
DK cannot do downb out of a GT, his throw animation has far too much lag and the startup on that move is quite bad.

the best moves to do out of GT are his fast moves (dsmash, dtilt, ftilt, utilt), and even those are unsafe because you'll probably end up right next to your opponent and if they shielded the GT banana (which is easy to do because DK can only GT forwards, its too predictable) and your attack, DK is wide open to a punish.
Diddy is too good at punishing, they can easily pull of a good 30-50% combo.

i see these arguments going nowhere btw, i propose we move on to the next character, we've been on diddy for more than a week.

perhaps we could do peach? she can do some sick combos somewhat similar to diddy's. she also has slightly higher than average kill power, sick aerials (she beats DK in the air easily) and very good recovery options.

also there arent that many peach players out there, it will be good to know how to react should we come across the select few.

that was a very vague description, if she is up next i'll write more. but IMO its a 55-45 matchup, Peach's advantage.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think it's a Peach advantage. Probably a good idea to cover her next anyway, since she seems to have gotten a spike of popularity recently.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
downb out of glide toss is for when they shield the nana, shielding and punishing simultaneously is impossible (except for snake... **** you snake) so if they wait for it to hit their shield, downb does work. if they get hit by it any special/smash works tilts out of GT is dumb (not even sure if it's possible, everyone smashes from gt).

for peach, i think dk has a very slight edge. DI is extremely important, as her combos will get shorter and your stocks will get significantly longer (momentum cancel works wonders on fair, it might also make them cry). you quite literally live forever in this matchup, she'll ko you with a usmash around 120-130 once a game (unless on japes) but you'll make it to 200+ once a game (210 is the average for japes)

also, japes and brinstar work a lot better than the mansion here, she won't mind, cause those are all good for her too, but you definitely have an advantage on brinstar and japes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom