• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Ice Climbers

Tmacc

Smash Lord
that vid is a really bad example of the matchup to be honest

meep messed up the CG several times...the CG on DDD is so easy, it really shouldn't be messed up like that

well it's not easy but, what meep does now is just fthrow > footstool > block reset

getting grabbed is, quite simply, unacceptable

meep messes up the CG in the second and third stock, that should've been both stocks gone for him

i mean there are definitely some good things here, like the use of fsmash, and atomsk played really well, but don't expect to make those kind of mistakes and get away with them.
I mean, obviously the video isn't a perfect example of the matchup. But there are definately some great things to take from it. It's a top IC vs a top D3, and a video I have never seen, so I figured I would share it.

Both parties made mistakes; it's still a good match to see though. Even to learn from the mistakes Atomsk made when he did get grabbed.

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
I hate this matchup, there's really not much going for DDD in it.

However, every IC I've played with DDD doesn't seem to know the match up. So if you're playing some scrub I'd say it's possible to get a win. It DOES feel good to CG the Ic's lol... well Popo anyway

Coney

Smash Master
yay @ thread revival

after playing meep a bunch, i think this MU is only 6-4 now...i was playing it completely wrong. turns out, the best way to play this MU is pure, unparalleled aggression. create an opening and capitalize completely; you can usually kill nana off a single mistake the ICs make. you have to be balls-to-the-wall aggro, but you also have to be completely in-tune with absolutely all of your moves. lag is, quite honestly, unacceptable. if you mean to ff a bair and it's a dair instead, you're dead. if you think you can nair both of them before they can get up powershield, and you're wrong, you're dead.

i've been wrestling with the idea of killing nana and just timing out popo...it's hard to say, because if you leave only popo then he's not very good, but your intention isn't to kill him and he can wrack up damage on you...if you kill them both you may have lower % but a single grab can potentially kill you anyway...it's weird.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
SoPo can at time be surprisingly frustrating. I agree though, I've gotten so much better at this MU recently (I have two great ICs in my area), especially after watching coney play it. I play it aggressive, but not "balls to the wall aggressive." I play smart, but keep them on their toes and keep the pace in my favor. Once I get them separated, even a bit, you HAVE to capitalize. That's when I go all out aggression.

I've been thinking about timing out popo, too. Ita definitely an interesting concept, and can sometimes cause the popo to just kill himself (in theory) to get nana back.

This mu is definitely IC favor, but D3 also has some good tools to do decent in this mu. Sometimes, IMO, it's a toss up...if you mess up, you should die. If they mess up, they should either die, or take a ton of damage. You just have to be really cautious, and, as coney said, know your moves! That means avoid ALL lag, guys.

Also, space fsmash, seriously, it shines in this MU. I love it.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
If I recall, Vex beat Meep in a crew match when he had 1 stock to Meep's 3. I think the smash community over-exaggerates this matchup.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Ice Climbers are big mean jerk heads. D: They steal my money too.

Top Bottom