• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Export: DK!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
[collapse=DK Summary]
Overview:
QWERTY

Kirby’s Pros + Cons:

+ QWERTY
+ QWERTY
+ QWERTY
+ QWERTY

-- QWERTY
-- QWERTY
-- QWERTY
-- QWERTY

Watch out for:
QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

How to win:
QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

Spit out or Swallow?
QWERTY

What NOT to do:
QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY

Stages (in order of priority):
QWERTY – QWERTY
QWERTY – QWERTY
QWERTY – QWERTY

QWERTY – QWERTY
QWERTY – QWERTY
QWERTY – QWERTY

Neutrals: Ranked and Explained

Key:
Good, Bad.

Synopsis:
QWERTY

Major Contributors: A1lion835, JoWii
[/collapse]

Last time this discussion rolled around, I posted what I thought was an instructive quote about our battle with the big monkey.

Me said:
The problem is that Kirby and DK are similar: you both try to hit people with your feet (though DK mixes in his hands too). But DK has bigger feet and recognizable legs.
Discuss.

daisho

Smash Lord
Always loved that quote :)

I'd give DK the slight advantage in this matchup. DK can survive for a long enough time and kill quite early.

Advantage to kirby on gimping as one of the characters that can reliably gimp DK if he tries to recover low. If the dk is smart and sees kirby trying to gimp him he will up B over him and usually survive but that does leave him open.

Kirby can combo DK at low percents but DK can do 17% off a grab early and 12+ late (pummel plus back throw) so a grab is almost as good for DK as it is for kirby.

DK's back air has longer reach than kirbys and it's more useful for DK to trade hits so kirby's air camping game is not as successful.

DK can kill really early with punch so don't be obvious with Fsmash or you will get punished with 29%

Overall kirby has to work harder to get a kill than DK does and only has a slight edge on damage building.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I believe this to be a consistently EVEN matchup.

Kirby racks damage fairly quickly of grabs and tilts. Also, Kirby gimps and gimps HARD. Lastly, if Kirby gets DKs power (which isn't hard to get) then Kirby gets a superarmored kill move, which makes finishing DK soooooo much easier.

DK racks damage super quick and for his large size has good aerial mobility. In addition, DK kills @ low percents easily and has 'set-ups'.

It's basically whoever feels more comfortable w/ the MU.

I'll add more when I'm not super tired.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I definitely feel it's even.

Kirby has his grab combos for 30%+, and if you use Uair instead of Bair after the Utilt you can get in around 50%. If DK's SDI'ing, Dthrow -> Utilt ->Uair -> Bair works nicely at low %'s. On the flip side, DK has Dthrow to Ftilt for around 19%, but there's really nothing more he can do there.

DK's Bair beats Kirby's, and if DK hits you in the right spot he can combo it a few times for some good damage. Kirby, on the other hand, can combo Bair a LOT if you catch DK at the right time, because DK can't do anything if he gets puts in a bad position from Bair.

DK's tilts out range Kirby's, but note that his tilts are pretty easily Shield Dash Grabbed (except Dtilt).

And as for killing power, DK raapes Kirby. One good Donkey Punch or Fsmash at around 70% and Kirby should be dead. Hell, even a Dsmash OoS (which works if Kirby spaces horribly) will kill Kirby at around 85%. As for Kirby, he needs DK to be around 130%-140%, at LEAST, to KO with Fsmash.

And then there's gimping, where Kirby can destroy DK if he gets even the slightest hit of Dair and a footstool. DK has his cargo throw to stage spike, but you can tech that so I consider it irrelevant to the MU itself.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
don't jump too high. DK can oddly accelerate vertically very fast, and with combined with up air, its quite surprising how high and fast it hits.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This is anything but an even match-up in theory; but, in practice, Kirby ***** the ape.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
t1mmy, can you explain that? DK's good horizontal acceleration can get past any camping Kirby tries to do with the FC projectile, his attacks all have more range, kill faster, and have roughly the same speed, and he's not really that easy to gimp. I can't see how Kirby ***** this ape.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh, silly me. I forgot a very important punctuation at the end of my statement which, without it, makes for a high chance of altered communication. Here it is: /troll XD

Top Bottom