• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion: Olimar

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Tbh I'm not 100% sure about it. I don't normally fall nair into olimar with Mario. I do it all the time with Luigi though. I just know Luigi's in general has more priority. I could be wrong and might use that. Might also be that Luigi gets much more reward from it.
Yeah, he definitely gets more reward. Both of them beat usmash cleanly though.

You'll rarely get the chance to use it against an Olimar that's aware of this though.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
True. They eventually will catch on and will use either Uair or pivot grab you depending on where you are. It's a good thing to know, but it shouldn't be abused.

@A2 - So according to you if Mario gets a lead, it's game. So what stop Mario from getting the first attack and running the whole time. According to you, that should work.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
My set against Xero was from October 2009. My, and Olimar's metagame and playstyle have changed dramatically since then. Once again, Olimar's style of camping is not the same as other characters. You're trying to apply it as if it was. If all Olimar did was run around and throw pikmin, he wouldn't beat anyone. That's not how he camps. Spacing is what Olimar always uses when "camping". Baiting, keeping pressure, these are how Olimar gets things done. Now again, which Olimars have you played and beaten?

I'm not saying Olimar has a large advantage against Mario. I think the matchup is completely even. However, to say that Mario forces Olimar to approach is laughable.

Also the fact that you think Olimar mains don't know how to adjust their playstyles depending on the character is hilarious. Who the hell are you to say that.

steep

Smash Lord
Everything Hilt said.
Good ****, Hilt.

Edit: Olimar mains are by far the most adaptable players I have ever played. In my games against both Logic and Hilt, they changed their playstyle almost immediately to counter mine. I'm not the best Mario out there, not even close, but I'd like to think I'm not a complete scrub. Adapting a person's playstyle like that is extremely difficult to do, and good Olimar mains do it amazingly well.

Just sayin'.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Hilt bringing the ****. A2, you're talking to the guy that literally knows everything there is to know about Olimar.

Common knowledge about pressuring Olimar is that if you get him in the air, he has no safe way to land. He has Whistle, Nair and airdodge. Based on your positioning, he MAY Fair you. If you shield, you eliminate Nair and Fair options. Which leaves 2 things that you can punish with a grab or an aerial/smash/whatever is appropriate.

Mario, has the ability to create landing traps with fireballs. Use them to bait airdodges or force your opponent to change their landing position to something more favorable for you.

/0.02

Top Bottom