• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Rediscussion: Link

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well i guess i'll start.

Close Range:

It might just be because i play heavily grounded. But a good Peach player can easily float around links head height and can easily avoid all of Link's ground based attacks. Float just out of range, and wait till he attacks. If he tries ground based attacks, Dair Nair and Fair can all be used to punish him. If he chooses to jump for an aerial, Nair or Dair would probably beat him there. There isnt much Link can do in this position but attempt to get away.

A ground canceled aerial into jabs just own Link. As there is nothing he can do in this scenario either. Except defend and run away.

Overall Link gets owned by peach in close range.

Mid-Long Range :

Link's projectiles spam will probably win him a long range battle. 2 bombs, arrows, boomerang, and zair can make it really hectic to try and defend against all of them. Im also pretty sure bomb at least clank with turnips if not beat them. Same could be said about the other 3.

Aerial:

Peaches air mobility and high priority aerials most likely allow peach to own the skies. Only thing to watch out for are projectiles, Zair, and perhaps Dair. Everything else can probably be out prioritized. Fair might be able to out range peaches aerials. But due to her air mobility, peach can easily back up and attack after Fair is over. Also be aware of Uair's vertical range, but it has very short horizontal range.

Link Offstage:

Total cake walk for Peach. float off backwards with Bair will probably kill him and probably Fair. A dropped turnip will most likely kill him as well. Note that some Link's will attempt to recover high against peaches to avoid being gimped.

Peach Offstage:

Not much Link do against peach without risking his life. He could projectile spam to keep you back. Though Bombs would knock you high enough to recover no problem. Boomerang may end up pulling you back to stage. Arrow may be the only truly useful thing in terms of gimping. An uncharged arrow is enough to stop peaches float and a charged arrow will stop peaches momentum as well. Watch out for Nair, Fair, and Bair when you get close to the stage. Also be aware of the 3 zair invincible edge hog. Probably peaches biggest worry will be about Link's Dair. Its slow moving and long lasting, making it hard to air dodge. It seems like it would always be best to attempt to recover high by using float to avoid most of Links efforts. Just watch out for Uthrown bombs.

Kill Potential:

Link clearly has more killing potential against peach in both power and weight. Dsmah, Fsmash, and Dair are Link's most powerful killing moves. Though if Peaches floats in the perfect spot she can avoid both Dsmash and Fsmash for all of the match. Link will probably be forced to use a lot of Utilts against Peach, which will stale that move and ruin its kill potential.

Peach on the other hand has air mobility and a good horizontal knock back move that could kill Link fairly early and of course turnip gimps. While most Peaches ive played spam the crap out of Fair, i think it would be best to save it as much as possible to keep it fresh. It Peaches best killing option against Link.

Overall:

Peach has the advantage if she plays smart.

Anyway i hope that helps a bit.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Get a Turnip and approach him whilst taking care not to get hit by any of his projectiles/potential follow ups. Use fast moves up close and don't do anything stupid. Make it as difficult for him to recover as possible.If Link enjoys tethering, D Throw Turnips to catch him out and then grab the ledge

Its far too late here >< (its even later where you are Yaaay, what are you doing up at this time? xD)

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Dont feel like sleeping :p. The night is still young~

Some input from me so my post wont be completely off-topic ;d. Im not very experienced with Links though.

As far as I know, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE LINKS PROJECTILES. They can be a true pain. His on stage game is quite solid overall. Floating is great, but do it on the right time and on the right height. Link will hate your pressure game. Also, try to get him off stage as much as possible, that's his great weakness.

Furthermore, I hate Dair. Very very much. It has great range and is retardedly powerful. Watch out for this move.

:053:

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
I don't have too much experience in this matchup.... The only thing I can say is to avoid Legan's dreaded bomb-thrown-downwards -> footstool -> dair kill O_O

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
Peach should win at close and mid ranges. She also has a superior air game. He is easy for her to combo with his heavy weight and can be easily gimped with turnips. One advantage he does have is his projectiles so he will win at long ranges. His dair is also powerful so you have to watch out for that.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
It's been a while, but I used to play with Deva. Link needs to be pressured, because his projectile game is actually really good. His recovery...not so much. Get two turnips in the air (one with a free ledgepull) and you can force him to waste his jump and edgehog him almost every time- Link is virtually guaranteed dead if he falls below the height of the stage.

But good Links always have ridiculous DI as a result. Still, you can rack up a lot of free damage on him by edgeguarding- remember that Link is going to try very hard to save his second jump.

60-40 Peach, mostly because she edgeguards him harder than most of the cast (you'd be surprised 0_0 ). He actually is really hard for her to get in to, though- but she does really well once she's inside.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't have too much experience in this matchup.... The only thing I can say is to avoid Legan's dreaded bomb-thrown-downwards -> footstool -> dair kill O_O
*has experienced this exact combo* :laugh:
But Legan is a God Kai Link, not just any Link, so he's capable of stuff like this.

Let's see...Praxis is correct, good Links (or the 3 that are out there...the Euro one, Legan, and Deva unless I'm mistaken and there are more) have ridiculously good DI and are exceptional at saving their second jump. As a result of this, Peach has to be surprisingly creative in edgeguarding him if her only intention is to outright gimp without edgehogging him.

One edgeguard mixup I've found relatively successful is to ledgepull a turnip, jump, and use Peach Bomber (sometimes the short delay before she slings herself is enough to bait the second jump from him, because it's natural for them to usually anticipate an immediate turnip gimp attempt instead). If it hits, it hits, there goes his stock. If he happens to avoid the Peach Bomber, Peach still has her turnip in hand. Chuck it at him from where you are and if he is parallel with the the stage it should hit if he doesn't make it to the edge first.

An alternative to the first method is to toss the ledgepulled turnip upward just perpendicular enough with the ledge's sweet spot area and immediately try the Bomber (or float and wait for a chance to fair/nair him if Peach is at kill percent and wary of a rogue dair from Link).

*Of course, this is simply a mixup to occasionally use as an edgeguard. I do not recommend heavily reliance on this tactic because it is rather telegraphed if anticipated by the opponent. Use in moderation.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the matchup itself, it is an easy claim to make. Link has a very reliable and solid projectile keep away game (however not nearly as solid in comparison to Toon Link's) but once Peach can manage to get inside (and Link does not manage to get above her with a bomb in hand), she has many options to rack up damage on him, frame trap him, basically do whatever she wants with him for a good 50+ percent. Factor in his sub-par recovery and you have my full opinion on the matchup.

60-40 Peach.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Links are good at DI because Link's up air is a bucket brake, lol.

Anyway, the major concept here is to perfect your edgeguarding. I'd do what praxis says and use 2 turnips to force him to recover in a certian direction. For me what works best is throwing turnips DOWN at im and fall down with a back air at a different angle. He can't avoid both if he wants to still be able to recover with UP B.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
This matchup is a joke if your decent at this game you shouldn't lose the set to ANYONE.

Top Bottom