• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export: King DeDeDe

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This **** guy... His grab is just ********.

Once you get past the grab though, it's all cake. This MU, at least for me, is a complete grab-off: whoever gets the most grabs wins! We have some sweet things we can do to him (such as inhale>footstool>dair>footstool for a 0>death kill), but his grabs deal much more damage than our stuff, especially that bthrow, and we're lighter than him, meaning he'll live longer than us at all times (unless... hohoho, inhale>footstool>dair>footstool [we need a name for this, i hate typing it all out all the time]!).

Overall, I'd say this MU is even, or slightly on DDD's advantage, but just slightly.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Alright lemme go ahead and get my two cents in here.

Striking is awkward during this MU. I'd say Strike FD, BF and SV first off to get rid of the static stages. That'd be a path worth taking if you have trouble with D3's grab game. Lylat may assist with gimping D3 is you can get him under the stage while it's tilting. It also has platforms to avoid D3. CS has one bad transformation with a walk-off which is bad business against D3 but it's fairly easy to avoid D3 during the transformation so it's worth trying. PS1 is great for the terrain changes against the grab game, and the lip for a gimp. YI has nothing too notable in either favors but it has a dip and the platforms and the randalls. Delfino is obviously not a good idea so make that a second strike probably along with YI. That leaves you the gimmick stages with transformations and such.

A few notable things from the actual match:
FThrow>UAir>up angle FTilt @ low percents is probably the best bet. @ Mid percents FThrow>risingFAir>risingFAir is a great one.

Full hop BAir to avoid the shieldgrab and simply bait and punish as much as possible. Don't aggro this MU unless you wanna get grabbed.

GET D3s POWER!! It has a large windbox than Kirby's inhale and Kirby-D3 inhale beats D3 inhale.

UTilt is ayyyymazzzzzing. Bait D3s DAir when using UTilt. It's common that during a UTilt string @ low percents the D3 will DI up and out then try and DAir; just shieldgrab it.

The biggest issue in this MU is understanding that D3 doesn't have a complicated gameplan. Figure out how your opponent is putting that gameplan to use and READ him.

edit:: NINJA'D?!??? I love ya Kewkky.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
There are a few things I want to say about the inhale:

If you have the option to spit or swallow D3, usually you want to swallow since it has more range. But that doesn't mean you should actively pursue an inhale on him. It's good, but it's not worth eating an fsmash or something just to get a tiny bit more range temporarily...

Also, D3's inhale, instead of having your opponent break out at the end, automatically spits people out, so you don't get anything if they break out offstage.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Throw tech chasing, being above him, behind him, or below him while he's in the air is the major things you have to worry about. One thing that's a relief is that you can't get chain grabbed. The positive thing for us, is that U-Tilt strings is great against him. You can try to use grab strings, but to out grab King Dedede is not an easy task. My thoughts is even for this match up. As for the battle it's self:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Kirby has a bead of sweat, so are you implying that kirby has a slightly worse time than DDD?

I don't see much of a problem with this matchup... fairly even. I don't know too much about it though, because I always take the challenge and go ness against DDD.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
i think deded has the advantage in this one. this match is one of a few where it shows you that kirby's main kill options are not safe.

at face value realize this match is gonna either be really long if kirby wins or kinda short if dedede wins. the main advantage is his weight. a lot of player underestimate it and stale their kill moves too quickly. from the center of fd you can expect a fsmash to kill from ~140. he can kill us from ~90 with utilt and a lil more from dsmash and usmash.

also don't get in the mindstate that kirby dishes out damage better either. one grab leads to ~20% if your opponent pummels. Kirby does however get out of rhe dthrow-dsmash trap if you di away from dedede when he dthrows.

in the air his bair, dair and uair beat everything we dish out. fair beats us too but it has startu so it can be worked around a lot easier than the others. i still don't understand how people can begin to believe this is in kirby's favor at all...

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Dedede usually gets me off stage with pursuing and bairing. Anyone know how I counter that? Effectively I mean =P.

I am never really sad to play DDD but he does camp us pretty bad to my knowing. I do know that against a Dedede who tries to approach and go in for the grab our pivot grabs are amazing.

The rest has already been said.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't really have trouble with this MU TBH. This and Pika are weird MUs to me in that while they feel like they should be even, I tend to find them really easy for some reason.

First off, inhale is not that hard to land in this MU, especially since D3's seem to use their inhale, and our inhale ALWAYS beats theirs unlss they are coming from above you. Also, when you inhale them, you have a choice in that you can keep your inhale for the inhale break footstools and gimping his UpB (remember, inhale breaks count as grab releases, so if he uses his jumps and UpBs, then you inhale him before he hits the ground, he doesn't get his jumps back), which can reall help out since they can end a stock MUCH earlier than what we usually do, or get D3's inhale, which has more range and I think does more damage.

Utilt is amazin in this MU, as is Dair IMO (big character = get shieldpoked). Of course, you're both going to grab a lot. Make sure to watch for the Utilt as soon as you get around 110% or so. His Bair beats ours, but if he tries to FF Bair from above for some reason, Utilt beats it.
Tech his Dthrow, otherwise he gets a free Ftilt, however keep in mind that he can tech-chase you from that, so mix it up.

Yeah, not sure what else to add, but I think I'l get to play Seibrik this afternoon, so I'll add more then.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Really? I thought it was guaranteed if it was poperly buffered. May be wrong though.

Also, maybe I'm behind the times, but turns out Seibik doesn't play D3 anymore (+ didn't get time to play/get ***** by him), so nevermind.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
kirby, jiggs, luigi, squirtle slide too far to guarantee a follow up with ftilt.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Just thought of something. Would we have anything to gain from aircamping Dedede? The minions aren't really that hard to avoid...

Top Bottom