• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Export #9: Zero Suit Samus | Complete!!

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. Zero Suit Samus

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:zerosuitsamus: ZSS :zerosuitsamus:

KEY POINTS

Advantages
-Speed allows to move in and out of her safe zones.
-Lasers, we outcamp her
-We have combo/strings too
-We beat her on the ground
-But to the same effect our fastfalling speed can help us aviod her combos/strings.

Disadvantages
-ZSS has the mid-range advantages due to her Side-B spacing.
-She has a combos on Fox due to he is fastfalling speed.
-Threat of Dsmash Combo
-She beats us in the air

Summary
If you can avoid our d-smash, you are avoiding a 0-death combo.
You kill way earlier, and neither of us gimps each other. (As long as both are recovering smartly.)
You force an approach as long as you are not down a stock.
You wreck us on the ground.
We beat you in the air, but since you fall so fast you get out of the air quickly.
Quote from NickRiddle.
pressure the shield, all of zero's approaches are counter-able if you learn to PS her stuff (which you will be able to do in a few matches (at least i was able to do so)) and USE YOUR MOBILITY to keep her on the edge. Eventually she will get hit by that dair>usmash which will seal her fate around 80. nair isnt that hard to hit here and its a good one to just throw in between her aerials/things. I don't like fair that much in this mu, but I'm not really a fair/bair man anyway. Shine is pretty awesome on shield, and as normal Shine>nair is good shield pressure, especially against zero. nair > dtilt beats her grabs and is unpunishable for her. you can get out of juggles easily with falling speed and shine stalls. her sideB is too slow and if she uses it dash and shield and you can punish it.

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game: Most of ZSS's Aerials outspace or outpriotize Fox's Aerials so don't challenge ZSS in the air unless you want to end up being juggled.
Ground Game: Fox's speed plays a big factor maybe without it Fox wouldn't beat ZSS on the ground, use your speed to overwhelm her and take advantage of her. (You shouldn't be hit the Dsmash Lock)
Approach: You shouldn't be approaching this MU but if forced to poke her shield with Fairs or Nairs or Cross-up Dairs on her, her grab is slow so you can take advantage of it. STAY CLOSE RANGE IF ENGAGING HER!
Defense: CAMP THE LASERS SON! You outcamp ZSS easily, but be carful of her mid-range dominance. The speed use it to manuver around her attacks.
Camping Game: Camp long range, she is fast but you can do it, just stay out of mid-range.
Edge Game: Any chance of gimping ZSS is slim. Drillshine is your best bet of gimping her, but I stress do not challenge her offstage. You won't die but you have a strong chance of putting yourself in a bad position.
Surviving:Even though ZSS has trouble killing strings such as Dsmash>Bair or just plain Fowarding Bing you can kill around 100%
Killing: Punish missed moves after camping or overwhelming her with your speed. You can kill her around 80-90%
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
Yoshi's Island
* Possible Zero Suit Samus Strikes
Final Destination
* To Be Classified:

Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza
* Possible Zero Suit Samus Bans
Final Destination, Halberd
* To Be Classified:

Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
Final Destination, Halberd
* Possible Zero Suit Samus Counterpicks
Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza
* To Be Classified:

Possible Secondaries
None the Match-up is perfectly managable by himself.

Videos & Other Outside Resources
None yet.

VERDICT :fox: 60:40 :zerosuitsamus:

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION GO!

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
60:40 Fox IMO.
You kill way earlier, and neither of us gimps each other. (As long as both are recovering smartly.)
We beat you in the air, but since you fall so fast you get out of the air quickly.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Wow last I argued the MU it was even soooo now you guys say 60-40?

Edit: What stages would you take Fox to or what stages would you ban?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
hmmm, i did also think the match up was in ZZS favor, but if you do keep the D-smash chain out of the equation its in fox's favor, so if your good enough to keep from getting ultra punnished your set.

50>50-55>45 fox's favor

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Can someone explain how Fox beats her close range if her Jab comes out in 1-2 frames? :[

Grabbing?

Asce

Smash Apprentice
This Match-up is done! Add it up Oni.
what? done? already?? I see numbers but whats really important is WHY...and there dont seem to be many explanations of how the MU is supposed to play out and what makes it that way. I assume we all know about the Dsmash lock, so what else about this is need to know? I wish I could contribute...but I know nothing lol so I only have questions

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Overall I find tight spaces to be more preferable when fighting Fox. WHen he has a lot of space to run he cuts a clear advantage because realistically ZSS must approach him. I recommend picking stages that give you a lot of running room, but obviously that's a very pedestrian way to look at a match-up. If I were you guys I'd ban battlefield straight away and never look back. It's ZSS' best stage, among the other stuff I mentioned.

I haven't played any amazing Foxes. I did play a good one in Florida once but that was before I was any good at the game at all.

The only ZSS with any Fox experience is probably Snakeee who has played r00kie a few times.

solecalibur

Smash Master
I still honestly think the MU is 60/40 zss with the infinate being the extra 5+ , a lot of foxes will first look at the MU and say "Oh no there is an infinate on us we are doomed" but you dang character is so fast and the fact that you are watching for that move makes it difficult to land

Zhamy

Smash Champion
It's slightly in Fox's favor. Listen to Supermodel from Paris.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
It does vary from stage to stage though. ZSS thrives in small battlefield areas where she can juggle. On Battlefield and Yoshi's she probably wins. On FD and SV she probably loses. Etc

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Who cares what the ration is or who has the advantage?

Talk about how to win the match up. >_>

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind expanding on what I have but...no one is contributing other than Lol Fox wins nao or Lol no he doesn't (MU ratios)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
pressure the shield, all of zero's approaches are counter-able if you learn to PS her stuff (which you will be able to do in a few matches (at least i was able to do so)) and USE YOUR MOBILITY to keep her on the edge. Eventually she will get hit by that dair>usmash which will seal her fate around 80. nair isnt that hard to hit here and its a good one to just throw in between her aerials/things. I don't like fair that much in this mu, but I'm not really a fair/bair man anyway. Shine is pretty awesome on shield, and as normal Shine>nair is good shield pressure, especially against zero. nair > dtilt beats her grabs and is unpunishable for her. you can get out of juggles easily with falling speed and shine stalls. her sideB is too slow and if she uses it dash and shield and you can punish it. only thing to watch out for here is that darn neutralb when approaching : (

no paraphrasing, sorryz.

Virgman

Smash Apprentice
The best ZSS's I've played didn't main ZSS at all, and the ones who were top ZSS's players didn't have much Fox MU exp. So I'm going to go off of what the random guy did when I played him and hope that this helps.
ZS has fast ground speed, so don't underestimate how fast she can run over to Fox. I often get cocky when I play Fox because he's faster than most characters, but ZS surprises me. I don't think she has strong close range combat skills. The best thing he was using against me was Utilt. It hits on both sides and comes out as fast as Fox's Utilt and shine (frame 3). Worked pretty good. The ZS would run up to me SH backwards and forwardB, pressuring towards the edge. He'd just keep using the range he had, that I couldn't punish. Neither of us would get hit, but at least he was caught in one of Fox's combos. He was spacing correctly and staying safe. Other than that, honestly, I have no clue as to what ZSS could do. Then again, I don't play her.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Read OP please to see how the MU is supposed to be played, also read what Sasuke said we only really want views on how to win it, but I don't mind your input. This MU is complete though.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
60:40 Fox IMO.
60-40 if we can avoid ur dsmash 0death? are u kidding me? thats like saying pika vs fox is 50-50 if we avoid the cg. the mu is 60-40 zss favor with her dsmash 0-death if ur caught in it,55-45 fox favor if u manage to not get caught in it

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
60-40 if we can avoid ur dsmash 0death? are u kidding me? thats like saying pika vs fox is 50-50 if we avoid the cg. the mu is 60-40 zss favor with her dsmash 0-death if ur caught in it,55-45 fox favor if u manage to not get caught in it
You're dumb.
Grabbing can be done OOS.
Grabbing is like 4-8 frames for non-tethers.
D-smash CANNOT be done OOS.
D-smash is like 2X frames of startup.
I guess they're the same.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
You're dumb.
Grabbing can be done OOS.
Grabbing is like 4-8 frames for non-tethers.
D-smash CANNOT be done OOS.
D-smash is like 2X frames of startup.
I guess they're the same.
Like is this a joke, seriously? Have you played any top Fox's before making the 60-40 assumption? I still think its 50-50, 55-45 at best. Trust me im not talking out of my a*s, I know what im saying.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Like is this a joke, seriously? Have you played any top Fox's before making the 60-40 assumption? I still think its 50-50, 55-45 at best. Trust me im not talking out of my a*s, I know what im saying.
No, I have not.
I have played ones that are decent.
And I've had trouble with them.

And, you're still freaking ******** if you think getting hit by a d-smash is the same as getting grabbed.
I guess you get hit by an Ike smash attack a couple of times every match?

Top Bottom