• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up Export #14: Donkey Kong |Complete!!!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. Donkey Kong

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.

* How Do We Judge Ratios?

To assign ratios, one must know what each ratio mean.

50:50 - Neutral/Even. Both characters have an equal amount of advantages and disadvantages against each other. The degrees of punishment and tactical efficiency are accurately similar on both sides.

60:40 - Advantage/Disadvantage. One character has something over the other character that puts him/her in a bad position, be it long range, fast speed, high juggle ability, etc. While the lesser character can get around it, it'll often be a nuisance to get around.

70:30 - Heavy Advantage/Disadvantage. The winning character capitalizes on the losing character quite hard. Usually in these cases, it's the winning character has a strength, that directly goes against the character's weakness. For instance X Character is fast and has long range, while Y character is slow and has short range.

80:20 - Extreme Advantage/Disadvantage. Winning Character has something so huge over the losing character that it over-centralizes the match-up(DDD vs DK comes to mind). This starts to enter the realm of unwinnable, though not quite there.

I won't go any higher/lower than that. I also didn't do anything in-between because it's far too specific to go into, though that doesn't mean the ratios can't be used. It mainly pertains to varying degrees when looking at advantages/disadvantages.

When that understood, the rest is easy(not really). Compare and Contrast all advantages and disadvantages of each character, and see which character has the better advantage.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:dk2: DK, Donkey Kong :dk2:

KEY POINTS

Advantages
Juggling adv.
Outcamping
Speed

Disadvantages
Dying early
Outranged

Summary
When fighting DK always force his approach so you can start juggling him, he is easier to combo due to his size, once you get inside DK you will being doing the most damage, careful when approaching though his tilts and Bair can keep you away use sheilding to get inside that range he has or just get behind him. This MU is not that hard complex it's another camp and get inside his defenses.

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game: Other than DK's Bair you will beat DK in the air
Ground Game: His quick and long ranged tilts will give you problems. He wins the distance battle, but you win the Close combat battle.
Approach: Don't approach DK his tilts will keep you at bay.
Defense: Camping is effective and is where Fox starts to shine, once he starts to approach you can get inside his close area weakness and ******.
Camping Game: There are no projectiles to dance around so you can camp DK easily.
Edge Game: Gimping will no usually happen, you will get lucky if you can drillshine a DK
Surviving: DK will kill you a little faster than you will kill him.
Killing: Not much of a problem in this MU
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
* Possible DK Strikes
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Castle Siege, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
Lylat Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
* Possible DK Bans
Battlefield, Final Destination, Halberd
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Smashville, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Pokémon Stadium 1, Frigate Orpheon, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
Halberd, Battlefield, Final Destination
* Possible DK Counterpicks
Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Smashville, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Frigate Orpheon, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Possible Secondaries

None needed OR JUST CHOOSE DDD!

Videos & Other Outside Resources

VERDICT :fox: 60:40 :dk2:

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION GO!

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
aside from doing that >.>

DK gets combod to **** in this match up.

dont be stupid and roll dodge into a side-b

other than that....

he can like pretty **** well due to being fat and having the up-b breaking, but if he does that he gets another free up-smash, and so on and so forth.

waay in fox's favor

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
DKs are being stupid INVITED THEM already i think none of them have Fox exp. or the ones that do don't post much.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
DK boards have very limited traffic lol.

Fox combos the **** out of dk but dies at 50. fox's up tilt is awesome in this matchup, it's basically at least 50% if you land one.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Lol Punch is great but Fox is not Ganon-slow.

Unless you have some way to set-up for it beside the Side B.... I will slap the Fox who get hit by that combo.

Hanzhou

Smash Journeyman
No one to play smash with South Jersey -Keith Kush
Lets get some Will or Cable in this. I don't think this is alot in Fox's favor. Maybe 55-45 Fox. DK is kinda like marth..... Bair is a b*tch and DKs upB Oos is good. Also dsmash is hell fast and hella strong. Other than that I think this is slight advantage fox or even

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
No DK's Bair is nowhere near troublesome as DDD's or TL's.

EDIT: I noticed you are pretty against most of the Fox majority.

crifer

Smash Lord
I´m not exactly sure about the Matchup, even though I main DK and 2nd Fox.

First: It´s a really really, let´s say, annoying MU for DK.
EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVe876X3n6U
That´s why. I´m the fox player.

What Fox has:
- utilt, dair grab or whatever CAN deal like 50 % damage
- AC Fair is like **** in the MU because of DK´s size
- laser to force an approach
- if DK is offstage you can sh or fh shine stall and wait to dair, in order to pseudo spike him
- DK has not many options once he is in the air

What DK has:
- obviously kill power (fsmash and punch @ 80%, dsmash @ 95%, bair if fresh, even uair and utilt can do the job)
- range and priority (as DK you should make you clear that if DK wants to beat aerial approaches he simply has to bair or uair everything fox does)
- nice pressure game
- upB
- I believe DK does better on most stages and has really good CP´s
- can punish mistakes really hard.

IMO if I have to choose one character in the MU to play I would choose Fox because it´s freaking annoying as DK.

stages to ban (fox):
jungle japes (if legal), brinstar, yoshis island

stages to pick:
final destination, smashville or halberd

I would say it´s 50:50 , maybe 55:45 (for Fox)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Facts I learned against the DK I play normally. (Artdude)

1)OoS Usmash DK's Bair if he trying to double Bair your shield or pressure it.
2)It's actually not that hard to challenge DK from above
3)Keep DK in the air you will beat some precent into him
4)Pick Battlefield Foxes we can easily overwhelm he there but that's the ONLY small stage I'd go to.
5)Fair pokes his shield.
6)DI up all his throws especially his cargo throws
7)Hold up to break free of his cargo throw fast
8)OoS Up B is for DK is good be careful but you could also bait it by hitting the top of his shield
9)His pivot grab isn't great so attacking the back he shield is good too.
10) He outspaces you but you (lol) outspeed him.

I'll answer questions if you guys have any. I don't wanna be the only putting in things

Also I say 60:40.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
How Do We Judge Ratios?

To assign ratios, one must know what each ratio mean.

50:50 - Neutral/Even. Both characters have an equal amount of advantages and disadvantages against each other. The degrees of punishment and tactical efficiency are accurately similar on both sides.

60:40 - Advantage/Disadvantage. One character has something over the other character that puts him/her in a bad position, be it long range, fast speed, high juggle ability, etc. While the lesser character can get around it, it'll often be a nuisance to get around.

70:30 - Heavy Advantage/Disadvantage. The winning character capitalizes on the losing character quite hard. Usually in these cases, it's the winning character has a strength, that directly goes against the character's weakness. For instance X Character is fast and has long range, while Y character is slow and has short range.

80:20 - Extreme Advantage/Disadvantage. Winning Character has something so huge over the losing character that it over-centralizes the match-up(DDD vs DK comes to mind). This starts to enter the realm of unwinnable, though not quite there.

I won't go any higher/lower than that. I also didn't do anything in-between because it's far too specific to go into, though that doesn't mean the ratios can't be used. It mainly pertains to varying degrees when looking at advantages/disadvantages.

When that understood, the rest is easy(not really). Compare and Contrast all advantages and disadvantages of each character, and see which character has the better advantage.

TL;DR: 60/40 is adv. not a counter.

This reason why I'm posting this is because I starting notice certain people don't know the difference between counter and advantage. This post may or may not be directed at you.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
zeton has beaten OOK recently,and i believe in multiple sets...both i assume are the top level for both character,so their input would probably be the most accurate

DKs is vulnerable from the top and bottom when he up-bs, if your under him uair if above go for the dair(will usually kill him but kinda risky)...how does DK keep up with Foxs speed and lasers? ive never super super camped a DK but i dont see how he could run us down on any of the neutrals(beside YI,strike that **** or ban it if japes isnt legal)

his moves that beat illusion are dsmash,fsmash,upb,punch and dtilt/ ftilt (i think,correct me if im wrong plz =$) so avoid illusioning directly onstage with him around

dont try and mess with Dk on the ledge,his up-b will **** you,repeatedly

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
zeton has beaten OOK recently,and i believe in multiple sets...both i assume are the top level for both character,so their input would probably be the most accurate
Hey us Mid-Level people count too! XD

Well, I invited the DKs twice idk what they are doing now. ZETON YO BUTT IN HERE!

EDIT: It's possible to hit him when starts that Up B ledge crap but it's mad hard, don't try it.
I've never been hit out of illision with Dsmash,Fsmash,Dtilt, and Ftilt. I have with Punch, Up B, and Utilt.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Rookie and Will also play alot(they took 2nd at polybrawl in teams O_O) so we have lots of people who are experienced in the matchup

everytime im sposed to play 1337 i randomly cant find him and then the tourneys over lol,we suck anyways ^o^

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Rookie and Will also play alot(they took 2nd at polybrawl in teams O_O) so we have lots of people who are experienced in the matchup

everytime im sposed to play 1337 i randomly cant find him and then the tourneys over lol,we suck anyways ^o^
Lol good luck finding Rookie, DKs I think died because of some DDD invasion.

EDIT: I'm fast on that refresh son.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I play duo and Rohan a lot. fox is annoying for dk. If it isn't even then it's fox's advantage.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Sorry I'm late guys! I have been out of power in my house for the past three days due to a crazy storm we had- a tree fell on the transformer across the street from me. It also happened to take out a fence, was laying across the front of that person's house- blocking entrance to their front door- and proceeded to land on the truck parked in their driveway.

Anyway, yeah Rookie and I have been playing a lot lately, and we have super close matches all the time. It's an incredibly difficult matchup for DK, definitely at least 60:40 in Fox's favor.

The crazy thing about that matchup though is that it tailors to the style in which I love to play DK more than any other character- extremely aggressively.

The fact that Fox, at the highest level (aka Rookie <3), has a retreating short hop triple laser obviously forces the DK to approach. It is very hard to do so without taking damage while said lasers are being fired, but I think that this can be taken advantage of. In this case, DK's grounded up-b and down-b are key factors in the matchup, given that Fox is willing to camp with lasers. DK is able to get in close enough with either of these moves as an approach.

I'm going to go back right now and look at all the various ways in which to compare this matchup, and then re-edit this post to include as much as I possibly can. Don't worry Rookie, not gonna share your secrets, just gonna post the general stuff =)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Lol I love your avi. I just wanna know how you guys would use Down b or Up B cause you see both of those moves coming. (In other words what's the start-up frames for those moves.)

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Lol I love your avi. I just wanna know how you guys would use Down b or Up B cause you see both of those moves coming. (In other words what's the start-up frames for those moves.)
Haha thanks, everyone loves this avi. ^_^

If you see the Fox dedicating to a true pattern, aka short hop triple lasers lol, you can find a hole in their pattern such as right when they jump to shoot their lasers. At that point, Fox is extremely vulnerable to a running grounded up-b approach if the DK is at least half a stage away. You have to catch them when they don't expect it, otherwise yes, it can be shielded entirely and then punished. Also, with proper SDI you won't take much damage from DK's grounded up-b, but at the same time this will force you very high up into the air with a possibility of being juggled. It's a trade off, but Fox can get down safely from the air with shine stalls so I would suggest SDI-ing. lol

Down-b is just a very good move to space to force someone off of the ground in general. If for whatever reason fox is standing and shooting lasers (from my knowledge good fox players do not normally do this) a running down-b approach works fairly well, especially if the Fox does not know the range of the down-b. Again, I emphasize running up-b and down-b bc otherwise these moves are not effective against a character as nimble as Fox. (A DK running toward the proper spacing with down-b actually slides across the ground slightly, making the range deceptive) The fact that DK is dashing at you already forces Fox to make a decision, and if the DK reads him correctly, then his approach succeeds. Simple as that. =P

Also, for reference from BigO's DK Frame Data thread:

Down B ...19-20, 30-31, 46-47, 57-58, 73-74, 84-85, etc./29 frames after the last even numbered slap...(The pattern is add 11, add 16, then repeat. Each slap is separated by a comma. If you stopped after the second slap it would end on frame 60)

Grounded Up B ...19-23, 24-28, 29-33, 34-38, 39-42, 43-46, 47-50, 51-54, 55-56/84...(Has SA from frames 10-16 )

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Hmm I see those moves landing if you were to catch us in the act of jumping to laser. Even though SHTL is a laser pressure we have to other SH laser techs that allow more ability.

@Fox players: when DK decides to start running towards you Dash and shield if the DK go through with Up B and hits your sheild punish with OoS Usmash or if he retreats with it just chase him or laser him. Idk about the Down B. I guess you are just force to take the air on that one.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
weel, i think we can quite easiyl say this is going to be in fox's favour, however one thing thats probably more of a saving grace in this match than most others for DK must be the sumer armour frames on his b-moves.
although i dont haev so much expereicne against fox, the ones i have fought like to hyphen smash when you get in triple digit percentage. (although i mfairly sure thats a n00b tactic) some will still do it anyway. and suppose they do so, but the donkey kong does a fully charged giant punch , upsmash hits the super armour frames, and fox gets hit for a 6.
its happened too many times when ive palyed for it to not contribute, and plus theres countless other uses for the super armour
although being honest, im not that experienced with dk

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So do we agree on 6/4 Fox and if so do we need to start the stage discussion part of this.

I say take DK to stages like Frigate,FD,BF, or Smashville.

Agruements?
DK's have any suggestions? What to CP? What to ban/strike?

crifer

Smash Lord
Is this from a Fox or DK view?
fox view.
idk if any fox should EVER cp japes or yoshis against a DK.

edit:
reasoning: japes= DK has the upB sa glitch, cargo dthrow into stage spike, lives forever, survives the falling into the water every time, fox dies easily if he is in the water and usmash is not nearly as effective

yoshis= upB invinvibility glitch aka roflcopter, small stage (camping not nearly as effective as on other stages, we kill you **** early)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
i find it sad that the word gimp has not been mentioned once in this whole discussion. It's literally all i do in this matchup, fox is really easy to gimp, and it's easy to set up with a grab

anyway, since you're already on to stages, you want places with a lot of room to run around (halberd, fd, and ps1/castle siege... kinda), and you want to avoid stages where dk can corner you easily (battlefield, lylat, frigate, brinstar, yoshis and delfino). also, never go to japes because with that ceiling height, dk isn't dying for a long time.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Gimps aren't easy on Fox. That's why it's not metioned.

Shinestall+Riising Fair does more than what most people think.

Top Bottom