• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #17: Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Time to do Pit...

Pit is similar to Wolf in certain aspects. He's well balanced overall but has one or two glaring weaknesses. In Pits case it's his lack of range and his KO issues. This is great b/c that's two things Wolf is great at. As long as you don't screw up with your spacing, Pit will have troubles to do you serious harm. A good pit can work around that and pressure you like an @$$h0l3, when he gets close enough. ForwardB, Nair and Uair are nasty multi hit attacks, that wreck your shield. Try to keep him away, cause these moves lack range. He can't really camp vs Wolf, since you have the blaster but you can't always prevent an arrow from hitting you either, if the Pit doesn't just mindlessly spam it. The thing you should worry about the most, is his edgeguarding. It's his only way to get easy KOs vs Wolf...try to stay at the stage and get back asap, if he hits you off the stage...yeah

I'd say 50:50...

Discuss

rodrigo_ssbb

Smash Rookie
Yes... every time i get close to attack Pit i get outplayed.

I guess that blaster, Bair and reflector are good against him... And don't forget that after he uses his Wings of Icarus (up+B) he can't use again even after a hit, so that's when you have to chase him like crazy! =P

JCav

Smash Lord
imo, this matchup is not that difficult. no cgs to 50 damage or whatnot. also, pits range and inability to ko is another thing.

so id say 55:45

Chaco

Never Logs In
Keep the Pit offstage, you think they are an offstage god nut he has limitations. Keep him at bay until he uses his third jump then bair his ***. You get an easy KO.

But as far as other aspects, a faked out fair, then into SH Nair, into Dsmash gets you some damage to build on. Once they see you take the frontal they will go into a defensive state. A good Pit will use those ******* arrow mindgames, so make use of your reflector. Also another thing they will try to do is get you to approach then spam your *** with dsmashes and get you caught in they're continuos jab, or Bover. So the best thing to do is a SH Blaster approach, imho. But you can also SH the blaster where you bayonet them and the laser hits them. So they have some knock back, go for the RAR'd bair. Bair murders Pit.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Chaco one thing is wrong with your edge guarding solution, pits don't recover above stage much except by gliding and i doubt you want to try into it as it killz from like 100 in the air. We usually waste our jump arrow jump arrow coming back to the stage, its so quick that if you shield another one is coming back at you so it would be extremely hard for you try hit us offstage. Also since wolf's DI after his UpB is really bad i doubt you would want to try to jump below to stage to gimp. Pit's UpB is like 0-gravity, i usually wait under the stage until you try to attack than go for the edge or stage. If you miss we get more ledge invincibility frames by falling off the edge, jumping up and WoI so thats one way to counter gimp.

Now for you, personally i think pit does good against space animals on the edge guarding part. Once we get you offstage a good pit won't let you come back. Ftilt for horizontal knockback than arrows while you try to recover, your overB is the best way, but each time an arrow hits it lowers your elevation, eventually your OverB under the stage and Die, or Begin your UpB, this is when the fun part comes. Pit can jump off the stage and intercept your UpB with a mirror shield and turn you around. So you fall helplessly to death.

Personally I'd say 55:45 or 60:40 Pit's favor.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Chaco one thing is wrong with your edge guarding solution, pits don't recover above stage much except by gliding and i doubt you want to try into it as it killz from like 100 in the air. We usually waste our jump arrow jump arrow coming back to the stage, its so quick that if you shield another one is coming back at you so it would be extremely hard for you try hit us offstage. Also since wolf's DI after his UpB is really bad i doubt you would want to try to jump below to stage to gimp. Pit's UpB is like 0-gravity, i usually wait under the stage until you try to attack than go for the edge or stage. If you miss we get more ledge invincibility frames by falling off the edge, jumping up and WoI so thats one way to counter gimp.

Now for you, personally i think pit does good against space animals on the edge guarding part. Once we get you offstage a good pit won't let you come back. Ftilt for horizontal knockback than arrows while you try to recover, your overB is the best way, but each time an arrow hits it lowers your elevation, eventually your OverB under the stage and Die, or Begin your UpB, this is when the fun part comes. Pit can jump off the stage and intercept your UpB with a mirror shield and turn you around. So you fall helplessly to death.

Personally I'd say 55:45 or 60:40 Pit's favor.
I'm a different kind of wolf I spike your *** and go with you. SD's don't matter to me as long as you die first. And the Pit I've played is ungodly good. I can't beat him, but I spike, him and get the bair stage spike quite a bit.

It's called recovering, with rising aerials. Rising Fair, ***** the edges, and also it grabs after contact. Solution solved there...and for your arrows there are ways of countering. I shoot lasers offstage, and use my reflector some to. Most Wolf's don't do that, but I guess i'm different. ^_^

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
About Yoshi's, the arrows sometimes get blocked by shyguys, which helps too.

Pit has strict spacing up close, so just stay outside of his comfort zone and things will go well. Offstage, mirror shield will gimp you like crazy. He can reflect your lasers and gimp you with arrows, so use a rising reflector a lot when recovering if you expect arrows. Pit can get gimped like crazy IMO, if he's recovering below, just jump down and nair/dair or reflector. He isn't that great offstage, but just beware of the shield, a good pit will use it well. Wolf wins in kill power and range, so I'd say his advantage. The matchup chart has this as a disadvantage for wolf... are we missing something?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'll try to control myself but it will be hard with a Magikarp supporter in our midst. ^_^

Anyway I used to second Wolf so I know his fundamentals at least. I haven't played a good one for awhile but from what I can remember Pit has the advantage here especially in a three game set. If Pit is allowed to pick the stage he should be able to win at least one match against most Wolfs unless the skill gap is huge. Some levels make it a lot easier for Pit to gimp opponents while some ledges make Wolf's recovery very linear.

While Wolf is on the edge there isn't much Pit can do but be smart and just back off a good distance. A sweet-spotted Over-B from Wolf can kill Pit after about 120% or so if I remember correctly.

Pit has to deal with out ranging opponents all the time. Wolf's range is greater then Pit's but this is something Pits over come all the time and something Pit is used to dealing with. In an up close fight Pit has the upper hand. From a distance Pit's reflector stops Wolf's blasts and since his blasts don't reach very far have a little chance of returning to him. Pit on the other hand can nerf Wolf's reflector by changing the direction of his arrow at the last moment.

It's very VERY hard to gimp a Pit, especially with Wolf. Any smart Pit can easily avoid a character like Wolf when recovering. Samus is easily more difficult then Wolf and I have no problem against her. On the other hand Wolf, while not as easily gimped most people think, can much easier to gimp by Pit then the former.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I myself main Pit, and used Wolf as well and have actually more experience of which I was the Pit in this matchup.
Actually Wolfs I play these days are just spammers. So let's see what I can remember in this matchup.

Ok, First thing Wolf needs to know that Pit has an F-throw Chaingrab on him. It's not as threatening at D3 since it's limited, but can still be applied. It's about 3 F-throws unless you have proper DI.

Both characters have relectors and projectiles. Both projectiles cannot cancel the other one out if they touch so keep that in mind.

As a Pit mainer, I will say that the move that I see the biggest threat to Pit is Wolf's B-air. Range, comes out fast, spammable.
Now that I think of it, Pit really does have problems with many other B-airs like DK's and Dedede's, and maybe Ike's. Poor angel :(

Wolf's recovery is somewhat limited, His Up-B will be cancelled if it comes in contact with one of Pit's arrows so you must act quickly and use Up-B again should this happen. Pit can also use his Mirror Shield to turn Wolf's recovery moves around to kill him. Combining that with Pit's great edgeguaring, it will be difficult for a Wolf to recover, especially when fighting a good Pit with good Wolf experience.

As mentioned, Wolf's B-air is what troubles us the most. It can be used to stop our gliding, or you could use the blaster too. The B-air would probably ur main move against a Pit, I guess. But it is somewhat hard for Wolf to gimp a Pit, and even harder to spike one.

Be warned. If you hang on a ledge for too long, a Pit can D-tilt Spike you. Wolf is one of the chars that can be D-tilt spiked WHILE hanging on the ledge.

The matchup is in Pit's favor, but not by much.

I really dont know much. I'll let the other Pits help you out.
After all, recently, the Wolfs that I face are spammers, and I havent faced a good one.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
55:45 Wolf's favor.

Wolf outranges pit and has a lot better kill moves. A good wolf wont be a spammer. Pit has trouble killing wolf and wolfs b-air is simply ownage against pit while wolf doesnt have too much trouble killing pit. Yes wolf can be gimped but that is about all pit has on wolf except for recoveries.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have to say I disagree with the match-up being in Wolf's favor, though it is close. Pit is out-ranged by Wolf, but it is a common problem being Pit and one that the Pit community has several ways of working around. I play a lot of Wolfs (Popular character where I'm from.) I don't think Wolf is a serious problem. He is about as well matched up as we could hope.

ghostgore

Smash Rookie
I think the matchup is slightly in wolf's favor.

I main pit and one of my friends mains wolf. Something that I always have trouble with when I play this wolf is how he uses his reflector. Most the time when I approach him he uses his reflector to knock me back making it really hard to make combos or get any hits on him. He's the only good wolf that I've played though so I'm not sure if he's the only one that uses that strategy or not.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, Wolf's shine is a good counter-type move.

Admiral Bowser, what's the proper way to DI to get out of the fthrow chain?

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I also lean a tiny bit towards Wolf in this case, probably 55:45 or 60:40 max.

I personally feels Pit has few options on the ground, he cannot outcamp Wolf, he gets outranged by Wolf and he cannot spam Arrows because of the Reflector.

F-Smash and Bair are Pit's only kill moves iirc, and their not even that powerfull (Bair is pretty decent though).

Though I havn't played many good Pit's so don't take my post too seriously.

So yeah 55:45 looks good to me.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If the Pit goes really fast with the chaingrabbing you will have problems. If the Pit doesn't move fast enough, then DI to a quick Reflector will stop it supposingly.
Some say that DI + Smash DI will help, but I haven't been Chaingrabbed by a Pit as Wolf, so I really don't know of the outcome.
But as a Pit, few Wolfs do try to use the reflector to stop me in my tracks. Others aren't smart and take the 3-5 F-throw Chaingrab punishment.

kupo15

Smash Hero
F-Smash and Bair are Pit's only kill moves iirc, and their not even that powerfull (Bair is pretty decent though).
Dont forget we are dealing with wolf here. Aka...horrible recovery which doesn't mean the attack needs to kill so Dmash, Ftilt, Fair are added to the list.

And imo, Wolfs moveset is very predictable and with only having one midair jump, it limits wolfs options. Shine>any move is not a combo because you can powershield.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
^ strawman anyone?

moveset...predictable? It's the player, not the moves, dude

tyler___

Smash Cadet
50:50...Wolfs most reliable finisher could have a bit of trouble (dsmash) Try using utilt if hes at a high enough percentage. I'd advise staying on his @$$ personally because two reflectors and a projectile that outranges yours doesn't do well for you.

Starlight23

Smash Cadet
I feel like wolf has a better matchup against pit. I play so many spammy wolf's that i cant understand how to punish them for doing the same things over and over again. It gets annoying, but wen i beat a spammy wolf i'm like yay ^.^. But like thats mah experience idk bout any other pit players.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I feel like wolf has a better matchup against pit. I play so many spammy wolf's that i cant understand how to punish them for doing the same things over and over again. It gets annoying, but wen i beat a spammy wolf i'm like yay ^.^. But like thats mah experience idk bout any other pit players.
Is JJ one of those spammy Wolfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom