• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Honestly, you can spoon feed me villains for smash for the rest of my life, and I won't complain. I'll support the little world ending idiot.

Smash Apprentice
. And the moon still appear on the Great Bay. So him dropping the moon in a Final Smash isn't farfetched.

I just realized-- if Skull Kid was playable and dropping the moon was his Final Smash, that would look pretty weird on Great Bay with the other moon just hanging out in the background...!

Having a Majora's Wrath final Smash wouldn't be an issue, though. While you could argue that using the Moon assist trophy on Great Bay is just as weird, I think Sakurai would make sure that character Final Smashes don't clash as much as ultimately Assist trophies are less important.

(Although RIP Protoman Mii costume if thats the case since Protoman is in Megaman's Final Smash now)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I too think Skull Kid is being heavily underrated... isn't it also possible he (and maybe also Majora) is a boss like Rathalos and Dracula? The former shows they can co-exist as ATs.
A problem with that idea is that Skull Kid is pretty small, bosses aren't just made big so they're intimidating, but also so you can actually hit them. With a boss as small as Skull Kid the entire challenge would be trying to even land a blow on him, which is just not very good game design.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
A problem with that idea is that Skull Kid is pretty small, bosses aren't just made big so they're intimidating, but also so you can actually hit them. With a boss as small as Skull Kid the entire challenge would be trying to even land a blow on him, which is just not very good game design.
Agreed. That's why I threw out the idea of Majora being included as well. Not inconceivable by any means but also not any more than a theory. He'd sooner just return to his AT role which would be... disappointing at this rate. It's so easy to just throw a screaming Skull Kid onto the Moon AT if you weren't going to include him, but without him there and the continued absence of a Young Link final smash, it's really hard to imagine him not being playable. It's fanservice: the game, after all! Especially on top of Loz's potential leak and the fact that a certain remake came out just months before the ballot opened...

And this is coming from somebody more neutral on Skull Kid than anything. Not a guarantee that he's been upgraded from AT, but people have been sleeping on him since E3 and they're only now starting to realize it.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Another reason I hope Skull Kid is in is that it will end the trend of one-off Zelda villains not being added (I know that Skull Kid is in several games, but he's only a serious villain in one). Zelda has really had a pretty low number of characters for its size, mainly due to the low number of recurring Zelda characters. However, if Skull Kid gets in, then it opens the door for more non-recurring villains like Zant or Ghirahim.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What are your guys thoughts on Skull Kid maybe incorporating the Ocarina in some of his moves; maybe even one of his special moves? To be clear; I have not played Majora's Mask; but I do know the Ocarina plays an important role in the game and the instrument in general is very prominent in the franchise (and to my recollection; unrepresented in smash bros)

Also if one of his taunt's isn't him floating and doing his creepy laugh, I mean, what's even the point? xD

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
What are your guys thoughts on Skull Kid maybe incorporating the Ocarina in some of his moves; maybe even one of his special moves? To be clear; I have not played Majora's Mask; but I do know the Ocarina plays an important role in the game and the instrument in general is very prominent in the franchise (and to my recollection; unrepresented in smash bros)

Also if one of his taunt's isn't him floating and doing his creepy laugh, I mean, what's even the point? xD
If my memory is correct, all he ever did with it was play with it for a few seconds, then lost it pretty quick to link, but hey I'm pretty sure hyrule warriors made him use it, they could honestly go any route with skull kid in terms of moveset.

Agreed would be a crime if that's not represented in some fashion, maybe even a victory animation.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace

It could work I guess, but it may be a bit out of place for him to have too much emphasis on the Ocarina IMO. He steals it near the beginning of the game, this is true, but for the other 95% of the game it is Link's main tool to counter the Skull Kid's plans to send the Moon crashing down by using the Song of/Backwards Song of Time, the Song of Healing amongst many others to essentially clean the mess, death and destruction that the Skull Kid caused in Termina; most importantly, this same instrument was used to call upon the Giants who gave Link enough time to stop Majora's plans for good.

I do agree that it should be represented somewhere though as a little jest, but the Skull Kid should probably stick to a flute or a trumpet if we're going for the level of detail that Sakurai appears to be giving the fighters. And yes, the laugh would almost certainly be somewhere if he were added, I'm quite confident in that.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So, about the Moon AT: when Skull Kid was announced as an AT in Smash 4, I immediately thought he was gonna bring the Moon down, and not do whatever boring thing he does

So idk, seeing the Moon as an AT with no association with Skull Kid whatsoever is really suspicious to me. Skull Kid is too popular and was relevant back when the roster was decided (December 2015, Majora's Mask 3D was released earlier that year and iirc he was about to be included in Hyrule Warriors?), so I really don't think they would just drop his Assist Trophy like that

Sure this could also mean the Moon and Skull Kid are two separate Assist Trophies but it will definitely be weird seeing them completely unrelated like that, to me at least

Plus, Smash Ultimate seems to be tapping on some of the general fan complaints on the roster: one of them being the lack of villains in the past. The other one is the lack of Zelda newcomers theoretically since Melee.
Guess who fits both?
And especially when the other comparably popular Zelda choice, Midna, is an AT already...

All I'm saying is that, I mean of course hype responsibly but... Maybe we're onto something good :)

cybersai

Smash Ace
Skull Kid was added to Hyrule Warriors as DLC in 2015 I believe. I wonder if Sakurai played Hyrule Warriors and saw the moveset they gave him in that game and said, "Hey, I can use this!"

Any evidence Sakurai played Hyrule Warriors back on Wii-U?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why is the Moon an Assist Trophy and not Skull Kid's Final Smash?

Ohh… what if Skull Kid's Final Smash is Majora's Mask?

Majora's Mask grew arms and legs in the final boss fight.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Why is the Moon an Assist Trophy and not Skull Kid's Final Smash?

Ohh… what if Skull Kid's Final Smash is Majora's Mask?

Majora's Mask grew arms and legs in the final boss fight.
That seems to be the general consensus about how his final smash would play out, maybe Sakurai knew the moon crashing would have to be represented in some fashion, but he also wanted Majora's wraith represented, so he just gave that roll to a assist, as a way to represent this concept and to replace Skull Kid's assist.

Last edited:

DooplissWizard

Smash Rookie
Add me to the support list, please! I love Skull Kid as a character, and I'm always up for more villain representation! Plus, with his mysterious absence from the Moon AT and the focus on adding fan-favorites rather than just relevant characters, he has really good odds of being a new fighter in my eyes.

Dr.Turtle

Smash Cadet
Skull Kid has my full support! I'll admit I've never played Majora's Mask (It's on my list ok?) but after playing Hyrule Warriors I saw how much potential he has! You can add me to the support list, if you don't mind!

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Guys.... pack it up. We did it.
I pointed that out to one of my friends but he didn't buy it, not sure how much I believe it either, however those are his colors to a t, and that red eye tweet did have meaning with k rool, so you never know.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Woah hey, this thread is super active! That's awesome.

This last direct was incredible, with Dark Samus being the high point for me personally. With the addition of the Moon AT and absolutely no Skull Kid in sight, we're all thinking the same thing. With so many villains added to the roster now (Ridley, K Rool, Dark Samus) it may indicate that this is a prominent direction for their newcomers. Not to mention the return of Wolf. On top of this, the focus on fanservice and heavily requested longtime characters finally showing up after years of support, has given me significant hope that Skull Kid is a reality. I'm not willing to read into the furniture, but I do find it entertaining that there is such a coincidence with the coloration.

If Skull Kid doesn't make it in this time, it will be pretty crushing. We've been teased up one side down the other at this point. In it together guys!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Skull Kid will be revealed as a unique newcomer in the next direct, along with Impa as an echo of Sheik

Believe in the hype

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I've wanted Skull Kid since Brawl. I figure he'd never get in after being an assist trophy in Smash 4. I pretty much stopped having any hope until the new direct which suspiciously had the moon from MM as it's own assist trophy and yet Skull Kid is still nowhere to be seen. Now I'm still not so sure, but damn do I want to believe. Throwing my support in for him.

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
I support, he'd be unique and a pretty cool addon to Smash Ultimate. If they don't put him in I think it'd be a major disappointment

Roy_Boy Color

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5386-7443-4270
Switch FC
SW-0884-9374-3404
With the supposed Heroes vs. Villains idea, I honestly think this might be Skull Kid's chance to become a character.

The Moon's AT being shown but not Skull Kid's is just too suspicious to me.

Fully support Skull Kid. Gotta be honest I never thought he had a chance but this thread has convinced me otherwise. We need a new Zelda rep and Skull Kid is definitely an iconic one. If Impa is an echo of Shiek as well then I'll be quite happy. I would love a Zora and Goron rep but that would probably be too many Zelda reps in one game lol. Two new reps would be incredible.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh, why the heck not? I've said I'm neutral on Skull Kid before but I honestly do adore Majora's Mask and I can at least appreciate his backstory, connections to other games in the series, and how all his fans grew attached to him specifically.

I support. In the ultimate fanservice game, everybody should get their most wanted. He's got a lot of evidence in his favor and Zelda deserves to have a non-Triforce character in its lineup. Like Ridley and K. Rool before him, and hopefully Geno and Isaac to follow, he's one of the long-standing requests and they should all be put on their special pedestal of high priority in this game. It's only right.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I just want to emphasize how wonderful it is that previously absent supporters are coming out and exploding this thread. Kind of insane actually. This is more what it looked like approx ten years ago during Brawl speculation, where Skull Kid's only real competition was Midna, Vaati, and maybe Toon Zelda/Tetra. And he generally friggin stomped all of them. Midna was the only one that came close, however was held back because of very vocal detractors that hated her character and her game. I was more frequent on IGN back than I was here, but that's how I remember it. Anyways, maybe they are really focusing on that bygone era of speculation before people started giving up on Ridley, K Rool, Daisy, etc, and started moving on to other characters because of these really old ones that were neglected for so long. If that's the case, then this is the most exciting era of SSB yet.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just added over 20 people to the support list. It's growing so fast, I hope I didn't miss anyone or add someone who doesn't want to be added. Let me know if I did. I kinda wish there was an easier way to make a support list, like a button to press built into the forum.

I suppose I could repurpose the poll. But first I need to change it, and want to change it to something about the Moon assist trophy, asking if you think it increases, decreases or has no affect on Skull Kids chances as a playable character.

But I'm so thankful for this. I'm glad I was aloud to take over as owner of the Op, I'm glad I stuck with him, even before everyone started to awaken their feelings.

Thank you everyone for coming by to show your support for such an awesome character! Fingers crossed it happens! I can't wait to see all of the hype! I hope we learn the outcome soon. A dream come true!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This thread after the Smash direct.
Awesome, I think I might be Simba in that situation.

Also we were talking about names for the support list and I can't believe we missed an obvious one, right there in the title. Masked Marauders!

I'm starting to see why people didn't like children of the moon, it's a bit a mouthful and lacks a nice alliteration, makes for an easy #. Any opinion? Any idea how to change the poll?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I honestly thought I would not live to see the day Skull Kid would gain a major boost in chances. I always felt that if Sakurai were focusing on immensely popular requests, Skull Kid would definitely be one of them. Thus, this is why I chose to predict him back in June/July. Now it seems like it is actually happening.

It feels really good to stick with my gut feeling.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I honestly thought I would not live to see the day Skull Kid would gain a major boost in chances. I always felt that if Sakurai were focusing on immensely popular requests, Skull Kid would definitely be one of them. Thus, this is why I chose to predict him back in June/July. Now it seems like it is actually happening.

It feels really good to stick with my gut feeling.
I know the feeling, I've been putting Skull Kid in my roster since way before the game was even revealed and he's never left unless I try to make it purposely bad, even then he's still been there

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/75546677
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/74403027 (I even had Tapu Koko in this one?! My current choice for new Pokemon) seems to be the oldest I could find too.

I've gone through more rosters then I'd like to admit. But all of them had Skull Kid.

The most recent direct changed things a bit for me, I need to make a new one (again)

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
I’m starting to think we may see the skull kid playable! His assist trophy was really prominent in SSB4 and the fact that the moon is here but not him is awfully suspicious...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
tell me skull kid fans whats got you all so hyped? beyond his absence as an assist trophy

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
tell me skull kid fans whats got you all so hyped? beyond his absence as an assist trophy
Moon
Great Bay
Young Link and his mysterious final smash
Deconfirmation of major competition (no offense to supporters, it's just helps a little when there's less competition to worry about)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Poor Loz18 got sent into hiding, likely because of all the people pestering him with questions he didn't have the answer to. They all may have caught the attention of one of the higher-ups.

Capture2.PNG

Now, the creator of that thread is going around claiming that the Skull Kid leak was a false lead baited out by higher-ups to weed out the source of all the Loz leaks.

Capture.PNG

Obviously right now, it's just unsolicited Gamefaqs rumors from one person, but it's something to keep an eye on in case it develops. Loz had to have left for a reason, so if any of you have Gamefaqs accounts, you might want to consider chiming in today in case there's silence.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm not sure 'Masked Marauders' is my top choice of demonym, but I do prefer it over 'Children of the Moon'.

Last edited:

thegreatpike

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2943-8529

Guys.... pack it up. We did it.
That sofa alone I wouldn't find suspicious, but have you looked at the freakin yellow and purple chairs?! That's too much of a coincidence...
Usually I'm not the kind of person who grasps at straws, but for a video with so many people watching, you're choosing your background carefully. And the chairs don't fit with the furniture style at all. It seems really weird to have those strange colors here...

Top Bottom