• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Man support is growing fast, I'm glad to see so much love for this character, I can barely keep up!
BTW, does anyone know how to change the poll?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Skull Kid has been suspiciously absent from everything so far. Great Bay, Moon assist but he's nowhere to be seen.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Skull Kid has been suspiciously absent from everything so far. Great Bay, Moon assist but he's nowhere to be seen.
I'm still rooting for Skull Kid, but don't count your chickens before they hatch

Ashley's assist wasn't featured the same way others were. It's possible they just aren't focusing on the old content. It's still possible some of the old assists are STILL assists and have only not been seen because they aren't new

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm still rooting for Skull Kid, but don't count your chickens before they hatch

Ashley's assist wasn't featured the same way others were. It's possible they just aren't focusing on the old content. It's still possible some of the old assists are STILL assists and have only not been seen because they aren't new
This is a bit different, yeah Ashley wasn't seen, but nothing associated with her was shown, her absence wasn't suspicious.

With Skull Kid though, we have seem to have a much greater focus on Majora's Mask this time. Great Bay has been shown just enough to both prominent in promotion and feel a bit secretive. Alone this means very little since its a returning stage

Young Link is also back, and he brought with him the very first remix from Majora's Mask. Again, doesn't mean much since he's returning. Although interestingly we haven't seen his Final Smash, Fierce Deity makes a perfect tie in.

He and the mask have lots appearances recently, Most notably though is the 3D remake releasing the same year as Smash began, Sakurai even granted a win to picture in a contest based on Majora's Mask, and not long after the game started development, Skull Kid was revealed for Legends to much excitement.

And then a costume in Monster Hunter
Then the Mask was in BOTW. First piece of DLC chosen specifically so you could feel like Skull Kid

Basically a lot of little things recently to give us all hope. Coupling it with his iconic status it gave me enough reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And then the moat recent Direct. This is what truly differentiates Skull Kid from Ashley.
Not only did he survive the Assist Trophy apocalypse, we saw another assist trophy from Majora's Mask, and not just anything from the game, a celestial object specifically associated with Skull Kid, something everyone expected Skull Kid to do in the last game when he was revealed an assist there. And yet Skull Kid is no where be seen. He should be there screaming to bring it down, and yet nothing.

That moon convinces me Skull Kid isn't an assist trophy anymore. I think we're all or nothing right now! He's either playable or he's not in the game at all. Personally I feel like he might actually be playable!!

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Heh, seems like Skull Kid is the character everyone wanted but never really supported because we didn't think he had a shot of ever making it. Now due to loz18, it's possible.
Exactly this. I never in a million years dreamed Majora's Mask could get a playable rep. But recent events have given me some hope that a dream I always thought was completely implausible might actually happen. Don't get me wrong, I'm still iffy on his chances like I mentioned before, but the fact he could even have a slim chance now is more than enough for me.

If he is playable, then honestly, he could replace Dedede as my main purely on the basis of being Skull Kid and being a Majora's Mask character.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I would love him to be in. I've seen it suggested that he could be a Young Link echo? I guess it would be better than nothing.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
If Skull Kid gets in, I doubt he would be a echo, the last thing the Zelda series needs is another clone character.
Impa would be the one clone i'd be okay with though.

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
One of the things that excite me about his moveset is that you can basically start from scratch, there's so much potential. He could easily be the impredictable pain in the ass jokester character. I'd like one of his moves to be inflicting a random stat to his opponents similar to his AT powers, that'll be awesome.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
So Skull Kid survived another bloodbath eh? Even more interestingly is that we saw the Moon, and still no Skull Kid. It's quite possible we'll get Ashley'd on the next Direct, but given how insane yesterday's Direct was in terms of possibilities (the Moon is the limit now, lol) and the fact that MM has indeed not been forgotten (with no Skull Kid appearance yet), things are boding well for him I think.

There's also the looming realisation that Young Link's FS has still not been shown. Imagining a reveal around Halloween where Skull Kid and Young Link duke it out as Fierce Deity and Majora's Wrath gives me the chills just thinking about it; perhaps more goosebumps than even K. Rool's reveal, which is a character I've wanted since Brawl.

As for him being an Echo, I don't really see any reason for it, and further Echonisation of the Zelda cast is the last thing we need. They have made such nice gains with the Ganondorf and Link changes, it'd be a downer to see them take another step back by making the likes of Skull Kid a clone when he has more than enough tools to stand on his own.

Skull Kid is now my official most wanted character since King K. Rool's reveal; let's go!

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I am so glad at the amount of people recognizing Skull Kid as a legitimate candidate who has a chance, It felt like a lot of people were sleeping on him before, the thing loz18 said about him is making me very hopeful as he has already gotten a lot right before.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Though I am formerly the majoras mask fan, I'd rather, pig ganon, a zora rep, a goron rep, and a rito rep get in.

Though I just want a unique Zelda character at all, been none since 2001

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The whole moon ordeal was one of the most “hmm”-provoking reveals of the Direct, imo. I keep going back and forth on what it all means...

I don’t dare to get my hopes up so soon over this, but it seems everything is perfectly falling into place for Skull Kid. Between the new assist, his disappearance, and Ultimate already giving us two extremely popular villans... it miiight happen after all....
But that said, don’t let yourself get too much hype just yet. The trophies we saw yesterday were all brand new, and I doubt we’ve seen all the ones they plan on bringing back. Things look good, but like the moon, they could all come crashing down.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personally, the Moon doesn't really change Skull kid's potential. The concept of both Assist Trophies is really different... Although both seems to not help the player who summon the AT.

I'll be honest, while I really love Skull Kid, and would probably play him if he is playable, I'm not really for him... But that's mainly because I see too much bias toward him elsewhere, here, you are more logical :p

Any Zelda character would be great. It's just hard to select one as many aren't as important as Link / Zelda / Ganon. Skull Kid do have his popularity though.

D

Deleted member

The whole moon ordeal was one of the most “hmm”-provoking reveals of the Direct, imo. I keep going back and forth on what it all means...

I don’t dare to get my hopes up so soon over this, but it seems everything is perfectly falling into place for Skull Kid. Between the new assist, his disappearance, and Ultimate already giving us two extremely popular villans... it miiight happen after all....
But that said, don’t let yourself get too much hype just yet. The trophies we saw yesterday were all brand new, and I doubt we’ve seen all the ones they plan on bringing back. Things look good, but like the moon, they could all come crashing down.
Excluding Ashley and Grey Fox.

Maybe this could be tied to him though, i mean they did show Klap Trap in the assists, though they showed K. Rool right after that.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Remember in Smash U we got this as an Assist:

And then this as a Mii costume:

Now Skull Kid is nowhere to be seen and the Moon itself is an Assist.

I think Skull Kid/Majora's Mask might very well be the most overlooked character in terms of being playable. I think people have forgotten over the years how hyped he was in the pre-Brawl days, it's just that people gave up on him over the last decade because we thought he wasn't relevant anymore. But then Majora's Mask 3DS happened.

I don't know, there's still a strong chance he's not in the game, but I guess the possibility is there? The Heroes Vs. Villains theme and Young Link returning adds to this, Skull Kid can't very well fight Toon Link but going up against Young Link in a trailer? Yes.

Last edited:

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
All right, I'll admit Skull Kid has my full support. Always had him in the back of my mind but the fact that he might have a chance made me realize how awesome he'd be.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Personally, the Moon doesn't really change Skull kid's potential. The concept of both Assist Trophies is really different... Although both seems to not help the player who summon the AT.
This was my line of thinking originally, but the more I look at it, the less it makes sense.

Dropping the moon is like, Skull Kid’s whole thing. That was the main threat he posed, and is generally what the character is remembered for, etc.
Smash, especially this Smash, pays a lot of homage to character’s origins as far as mechanics and abilties go.
With this in mind, why would Sakurai and the team decide that the Termina Moon crashing into the stage would be an Assist Trophy, but instead of including Skull Kid as the harbringer of this destruction, choose to have him appear in a completely different trophy... performing strange abilities that he is not known for, or even shown to do in his game of origin?

Now, I’m not Sakurai, and I’m not a member of his team... but the only answers I can see as the reason for this conundrum is:
A.) Sakurai just doesn’t see Skull Kid as an important character, and just replaced his trophy with the Moon.
B.) Sakurai/the team just liked that Skull Kid AT so damn much that they couldn’t bear to take it out, meaning that Skull Kid couldn’t appear to drop the moon.
C.) SKULL KID CAN’T DROP THAT MOON BECAUSE HE’S A PLAYABLE FIGHTER BABY WHOOP WHOOP

...ahem.
That said, I really don’t want to set myself up for disappointment, but this is a really interesting case to look at. I didn’t give Moon Boy much of a chance before this happened, despite really wanting him to be playable, but I think this might be something to look out for.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
This was my line of thinking originally, but the more I look at it, the less it makes sense.

Dropping the moon is like, Skull Kid’s whole thing. That was the main threat he posed, and is generally what the character is remembered for, etc.
Smash, especially this Smash, pays a lot of homage to character’s origins as far as mechanics and abilties go.
With this in mind, why would Sakurai and the team decide that the Termina Moon crashing into the stage would be an Assist Trophy, but instead of including Skull Kid as the harbringer of this destruction, choose to have him appear in a completely different trophy... performing strange abilities that he is not known for, or even shown to do in his game of origin?

Now, I’m not Sakurai, and I’m not a member of his team... but the only answers I can see as the reason for this conundrum is:
A.) Sakurai just doesn’t see Skull Kid as an important character, and just replaced his trophy with the Moon.
B.) Sakurai/the team just liked that Skull Kid AT so damn much that they couldn’t bear to take it out, meaning that Skull Kid couldn’t appear to drop the moon.
C.) SKULL KID CAN’T DROP THAT MOON BECAUSE HE’S A PLAYABLE FIGHTER BABY WHOOP WHOOP

...ahem.
That said, I really don’t want to set myself up for disappointment, but this is a really interesting case to look at. I didn’t give Moon Boy much of a chance before this happened, despite really wanting him to be playable, but I think this might be something to look out for.
The way I look at it, is that the moon is replacing him as the Majoras Mask assist trophy, similar to this Knuckles replacing Shadow so he can be playable, Kapp'n replacing Isabelle to become playable, just my personal theory, but it seems to be lining up.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
I wish botw came out in 2015. Hopefully us Zelda fans can make big but respectful noice during when dlc is being picked and get some characters.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Skull Kid was really popular during Brawl.
Because of this, he became an Assist Trophy in Smash 4.

Now, with the Moon being an Assist Trophy, and the rambling evil mushroom taking one of Skull Kid's AT effect's, Skull Kid gets one more strike.
Midna was the other one-off Zelda character, but she is not contender as she is confirmed as an AT.
Also, Majora's Mask remake lines up with the character schedual for Smash Ultimate.

If we get a new Zelda character, Skull Kid does have a lot of positives going into his way as of now.

cybersai

Smash Ace
It's so weird Skull Kid went from, "probably not going to happen or a longshot" to "a small possibility."

As said, I don't think anyone here is getting their hopes up. We know good and well he may not happen or may still be an Assist. So I remain hopeful but don't want to get disappointed.

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Its weird that the skull kid species have only appeared in 3 games, yet gorons have been in every 3d game plus some 2d ones.

If only we had an iconic evil leader goron or 3d zora (evil 2d zora are nothing alike really)

Assuming skull kid is in, which isn't that likely still but Idk I think it's happening personally. Better then tingle

Last edited:

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
In terms of his Final Smash Skull Kid could have a "transformation" cinematic where he turns into Majora's Wrath and beats people up. Even in the game that was his last resort after Link stopped the Moon. This way they cram even more references to MM into the game. Ugh I've gotten my hopes way up now...I have only myself to blame.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
In terms of his Final Smash Skull Kid could have a "transformation" cinematic where he turns into Majora's Wrath and beats people up. Even in the game that was his last resort after Link stopped the Moon. This way they cram even more references to MM into the game. Ugh I've gotten my hopes way up now...I have only myself to blame.
Oh me too, I am already too far in to turn back, this is Skull Kid's time to shine.

UserKev

Smash Champion
All right, I'll admit Skull Kid has my full support. Always had him in the back of my mind but the fact that he might have a chance made me realize how awesome he'd be.
I feel like this now also. I actually wanted Skull Kid since pre-Brawl but temporary lost interest. Guess its back now. He's basically my most wanted other than Mimikyu now.

chronomantic

Smash Ace

...ahem.
I get what you're saying but if the moon is so linked to Skull Kid as a character why didn't the team include it in his AT move? they could have had Skull Kid suddenly appear, drop the moon and people would have been like: yeah it makes sense. They made up moves for him when they decided to include him as an AT so I think that's interesting.

On the other hand I don't think the appearance of the moon doesn't necessarily mean anything for his chances, but here's hoping.
If we're following the supposed heroes vs villains theme we have Link vs Ganondorf and we could easily have Young Link vs Skull Kid.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Honestly even though Zelda is my favorite franchise I was more focused on wanting Ridley as a character, and I just wanted them to change ganndondorf, give his old moveset to black shadow and be done with it. Now that I have ridley, im fully in the mindset for more Zelda stuff

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

...ahem.
Personally, I see this as "You where expecting help? Too bad, it's Moon time!". Skull Kid, while doing nothing from MM, was still faithful to his character, a prankster with huge powers, affecting the game itself.

That's my personnal problem with Skull Kid. While Smash have created many great movesets from scratches (from Falcon to Duck Hunt), I'm just not fond of the idea of having yet another Zelda character with a made up moveset. Sure, there's references such as Ganon or the Sheikah eye, but only Zelda and Link really have references. Hopefully we have actually 3 Links!

Maybe I'm in the wrong and the moveset could be fantastic. As a supporter of Ashley and Medusa, I'd like a character inflicting status ailments, and Skull Kid could do just that. My main fear is to get an average "dark" moveset, like in Hyrule Warriors (and HW have tons of references yet... Like doing nothing and watching a meteor fall :p ). And Riki as an assist doesn't stop Shulk from having him in his Final Smash... And the moon still appear on the Great Bay. So him dropping the moon in a Final Smash isn't farfetched.

Again, I really think that the 3 things going for Skull Kid are his popularity, the fact that popular characters are added, and being unseen yet.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Skull kid is in hyrule warriors, though that also works for like princess ruto.

I was more on train besides pig ganon, of mipha and daruk. Their moveset could refrence them from botw, thier weapons, goron and zora link, the runes (cryonis block recovery for mipha) and the playable zora and goron from hyrule warriors ruto and darunia.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
While I too think Skull Kid is being heavily underrated... isn't it also possible he (and maybe also Majora) is a boss like Rathalos and Dracula? The former shows they can co-exist as ATs.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Skull kid is in hyrule warriors, though that also works for like princess ruto.

I was more on train besides pig ganon, of mipha and daruk. Their moveset could refrence them from botw, thier weapons, goron and zora link, the runes (cryonis block recovery for mipha) and the playable zora and goron from hyrule warriors ruto and darunia.
Skull kid is in hyrule warriors legends, what I thinks helps his chances more, if say he appeared in hyrule warriors wii u,

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
While I too think Skull Kid is being heavily underrated... isn't it also possible he (and maybe also Majora) is a boss like Rathalos and Dracula? The former shows they can co-exist as ATs.
Yeah it is possible, but I find it unlikely at this point. I see large scale popular Zelda bosses like LttP Pjg Ganon, Dodonga, and Gohma becoming bosses. As of now, his exclusion as an AT seems to point towards a playable character.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid has been my #1 choice ever since the Smash 4 days (back then he was tied with Bayonetta), so of course I support him. Also, there’s a chance he will join the roster and that makes me more than happy!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Considering the number of characters that have been highly requested since Brawl that Sakurai paid attention to like Dark Samus and Geno, I think there is no way that Skull Kid is getting ignored and shafted to having a minor role lower than an AT. He has to be playable.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I wanna throw in my support, he seems like a really cool guy with great moveset potential, and the Zelda series NEEDS more original characters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yikes this got a lot of posts overnight. I'll try and update support lists on weekends but I'm pretty busy during the week for the next few weeks.

Top Bottom