• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Weaknesses

Tyson651

Smash Lord
u cant really explain it, its just that a lot of sheik's moves are so good against marth, and her needles as an edgegaurd is deadly.

and also how sheik can weave in and out of marth's range is just crazy, she has barely any lag, and so fast and good at combo-ing, plus marth has not too good of a stun recovery so sheik's combos are more deadly towards marth.

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Yes. I use both characters, and it seems to be Shiek's low combo ability, ability to move quickly, as well as her near absence of lag time that gives Shiek a HUGE advantage over Marth on any flat ground. The needles can destroy Marth's recovery, and so can Shiek's f-air.Marth only REALLY has a chance against Shiek if the Shiek is impatient, or just stupid enough to run into the tip'd f-smashes, or stay over him while in the air.

Falcon is a hard matchup for Marth for the pure speed factor. Marth needs to rely on wavedashing, shield-grabbing, and pure mindgames to win. Also, taking advantage of Falcon's bad recovery (d-air, anyone ?) gives some advantages to Marth in the matchup.

Ganon is a hard match-up for Marth, though I haven't played enough Ganon's with my Marth to know why. ( I usually use Link to take Ganon)

Peach is, by my experience, a pretty even/easy matchup, depending on the Peach's skill. Just stay out of the D-smash, use F-smashes and shffl'd f-air's when Peach is on the ground, repel/catch turnips, and stay below her when she's in the air.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ganon is hard cause he has that super fast jab, and the really long powerful and not to mention, LONG RANGED legs, such as his nair, uair, and dair lol.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Samus/PEach/Jiggs/Falco/Fox/Sheik/Link/Cf/Doc/Mario

Can all **** Marth. Marth has this thing called being a noob and not haveing a spammable projectile and dieing at extremely low percents. He has no fast kills if you dont get a quick edge guard and what im really trying to say here is I **** Marth's, and so should everyone else. ty

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wtf @ your crazy list mrc LOL

most of those are countered BY marth (samus falco jiggs mario) most others are even for the other chars at best...

link can do well and peach can do well are the ones i'll agree with...

shiek SORTA counters marth, but a good marth doesn't have any kind of true counter.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
gimpyfish62 - err.. marth's hardest match up IS sheik. sheik beats marth, even ken says so :p

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ken says everyone beats marth, that means nothing.

marths hardest matchup IS shiek, but even that isn't anything i'd call a 'counter' at all

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
ShackDaddy said:
anyone can beat marth really.

Falcon and Gannon rnt too great b/c they r easily edegaurded by marth. One shield grab to the ledge then just swipe away.
lol obviously. if they're good enough :p listen to gimpyfish. he knows what he's talking about. and fox dun really destroy marth. they equAL out. i say this because its generally known to be true, and also from personal experience. chainthrowing, remember?!

Whoohoox8

Smash Rookie
^i think its the juggling and the effectiveness of the dthrow combo starter

so yeh

uremog

Smash Ace
yeah, falcon juggles marth pretty well and he has some nice weight to keep him from getting to the edge as easy as others where he's vulnerable. his DD is pretty much the best too.

i say
shiek, peach, ICs, falcon, link are ones with advantages
in a rough order. towards the end it's pretty even (dorf maybe, his fair has competitive range with marth and good knockback helps him a lot).

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
uremog said:
yeah, falcon juggles marth pretty well and he has some nice weight to keep him from getting to the edge as easy as others where he's vulnerable. his DD is pretty much the best too.

i say
shiek, peach, ICs, falcon, link are ones with advantages
in a rough order. towards the end it's pretty even (dorf maybe, his fair has competitive range with marth and good knockback helps him a lot).
only shiek have advantage IMO IC,CF got edge guard to death, all you have to do it fsmash

Uno

Smash Journeyman
Olink said:
i play marth and roy, and from what i cans ee, falco maybe be able to spam wih his laser, but it does not fire fast enough to really make a dif, all marth has to do is side dodge or counter, and not one hit, as far as guarding on the edge, either of falcos recovers, can be coiuntered with great ease, but i have not played as falco and i do not know all of his strengths
cough lol cough

mouseboy20

Smash Apprentice
i dunno, but ganon and the captains up b are so annoying, you cant counter them or hit them!

i've also seen ken been beat by the captain more than once.

Miharu

Smash Hero
mouseboy20 said:
i dunno, but ganon and the captains up b are so annoying, you cant counter them or hit them!

i've also seen ken been beat by the captain more than once.
Tipper, ditlt, or legehopped bair, and they're dead.

Ken isn't invincible...

CF can get inside Marth's range more easily than others due to his extreme speed, and as uremog said, he combos Marth pretty well.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Ehh what i hate about these threads is that everyones opinion is biased based on the opponents they play. Everyone has a unique way of playing, everyone is different, and thus why this game is soo good. Peach(this debate will never end) and Falcon are pretty even, same with falco(though this purely depends on the skill of the falco, if he can SHL into combos he will have an advantage) and fox. Its all about who can apply the techniques that work for the specific match up the best. Its very true, Marth has no real counter, he can dish it out with the best of them (hence being top tier) but some chars just give him "More" trouble then others, specifically SHEIK(its the only conseces)

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
very true about the different playing styles of everyone. but you're missing one thing. If a character can combo another character because of his weight, size, etc. that second character is pretty helpless during this time. So that means if character one hits the opponent, it doesn't really matter what kind of 'playing style' the opponent has. He is gonna get his rear combo'd. of course this racks up damage, and will eventually lead into a kill. Unless this second character's playing style is fricking amazing and he/she never gets hit. haha if this were the case tho, then it wouldn't MATTer what character was being used :laugh:

combo: a series of attacks stringed together so that escape is impossible. lol well thats my definition...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Basicly there is Speed, Range, and Priority.

Range beats Priority, Priority beats speed, and Speed beats Range.

Marth is Range... choose a speed character.

If you still don't get what I mean let me show you as an example.

Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, and Grass beats Water.

Chose Fox, Falco, Sheik, or C. Falcon.

Metà

Smash Master
Alright, well, I was looking through my list of threads, and noticed this from a while back. Seeing as I got some good responses, and I still have trouble against Marth (though, a lot less now), I might as well bump this topic for what it's worth.

Some things have changed from when I first posted this though:
1. Falco is not my main anymore, I now play Fox/Puff/Sheik, though my Falco/Falcon are **** good secondaries
2. I'm a LOT better at this game in general, in all regards
3. I can now ledge-tech pretty much any move that leaves me reasonably close to the edge and is powerful enough to allow teching (my SDI is godly since I've started playing SSB)
4. I've had a lot more practice against Marth, and have gotten to know the character well by using him myself, and even in tournament matches

However, some things haven't changed:
1. Marth is still a *****
2. Marth has no real counters, only slight counters at best
3. F*ck Marth

So, I don't really need much more advice, other than how I should approach Marth with Jigglypuff, but that should probably go in the Jigglypuff board. Now I think I'm able to give some advice to people who are struggling against Marth, with pretty much any character except IC's lol.

Crimson)S(hadow

Smash Apprentice
none of the top tiers really have no real weaknesses, and they will be most likely be developed along with the low tiers in a few years since everyone will get sick of brawl being so noob.

c.falcon and sheik are 60-40 against marth as of current times
i main link and i'd say link is 55-45 or better against marth
fox and falco are even against marth.

for marth you spam laser, causing him to jump. this is when u abuse falco's higher jumping, jump higher then him, then u dair or w/e you wish since ur on top of him.

Brookman

Smash Hero
none of the top tiers really have no real weaknesses, and they will be most likely be developed along with the low tiers in a few years since everyone will get sick of brawl being so noob.

for marth you spam laser, causing him to jump. this is when u abuse falco's higher jumping, jump higher then him, then u dair or w/e you wish since ur on top of him.
LOL @ you

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
very true about the different playing styles of everyone. but you're missing one thing. If a character can combo another character because of his weight, size, etc. that second character is pretty helpless during this time. So that means if character one hits the opponent, it doesn't really matter what kind of 'playing style' the opponent has. He is gonna get his rear combo'd. of course this racks up damage, and will eventually lead into a kill. Unless this second character's playing style is fricking amazing and he/she never gets hit. haha if this were the case tho, then it wouldn't MATTer what character was being used :laugh:

combo: a series of attacks stringed together so that escape is impossible. lol well thats my definition...
Man, I'm such a noob...

Retroking2000

Smash Master

falco vs marth is not even lol .
you just answered it in the last line of your post .
fox vs marth
dash in and out with Nairs . to shine combos W/E . marth has to play defensive lol defensive styles usually means that the char is at a disadvantage

so no fox vs marth is not even .

: P

Gian

Smash Apprentice
*****Shiek is my only weakness and i main marth....

now seriously, try to get under marth hes weak by the bottom(hes range doest cover bottom... onlt Dair) try to make him jump and attk from bottom

Top Bottom