• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs shiek

Aesir

Smash Master
I don't.. :( lol
It is >_>

LOL close to even dude sheik *****
When marth doesn't knowhow to DI yes.

I think Sheik vs Marth is the most one-sided matchup out of all the top characters (meaning fox, falco, marth, sheik).

Aesir, I assume you're a Sheik main?
It isn't it isn't even close to being one sided. Granted sheik has an advantage but it's pretty close to even.

and no I main marth >_>

I play with a pretty campy and gay sheik too.

D

Deleted member

marth vs sheik is only as hard for marth as it is to avoid dashattack grab and needles.

Vincent Vega

Smash Journeyman
Lol when I was a silly Sheik main I used to think the match up wasn't so bad. It's not so much that Sheik completely combos the crap out of Marth and can edge guard very easy but more so the main problem for me is it's **** hard to kill Sheik.. =/

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
... KDJ? Dazwa? (I'm sure I'm missing some, but those are the first 2 that come to mind)
KDJ is KDJ and apparently retired. Dazwa yeah, but I didn't know about him until he broke out at VLS. And he doesn't have a lot of recent vids unless I'm missing some =/

I've never played him though while I've played Hayato.

Probably. We don't have a PC Chris to play against, although Evilnemesis supposedly did very well at SCC. I know he beat Plank and Wobbles anyway.
Plank, Wobbles, S-Royal, Knivez... I'm pretty sure he's one of the better Falcos in the country ^^ (obv you know this, but people not in so cal don't)

lol @ Sheik not owning Marth hard

Aesir

Smash Master
Lol when I was a silly Sheik main I used to think the match up wasn't so bad. It's not so much that Sheik completely combos the crap out of Marth and can edge guard very easy but more so the main problem for me is it's **** hard to kill Sheik.. =/
Marth combos sheik well, and edgeguards her well too.

On FD sheik beats marth so bad it isn't even funny.

Yet take any stage with platforms and the match up becomes very close.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Aesir, you going to pound 3? Let's mm, sheik v marth, you can show me how close the matchup is.

edit: at least $5, tho i'm fine with any dollar amount up to $20

FrostByte

Smash Lord
marth vs sheik is only as hard for marth as it is to avoid dashattack grab and needles.
And actually attack sheik until a good enough percent to kill. Edgeguarding in this matchup is one of the most annoying things ever. If it's last stock and you're both at high %, sheik wins because of a super fast, low lag KO aerial that Marth doesn't have. Edgeguarding Marth as Sheik is a different story though. A nair will probably stop his recovery. Even when he's recovers on stage, Sheik can Ftilt/random combo starter - Fair if he DI-s toward Sheik or just Dsmash if he DI-s away.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Sheik vs. Marth isn't one-sided, though Sheik has a slight advantage. They both combo and edgeguard each other very well, though I'd have to say that Sheik's setups will give her an easier time controlling the match.

Aesir

Smash Master
^ thats more a less what I wanted to say..

Though I find the match up fun because theres lots of thinking involved the marth really does have to work his *** off.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
It's pretty one-sided. Marth has to play it a lot more perfectly to have a chance, which should be the definition of advantages / disadvantages.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
falco is way harder than fox than sheik. falco can attack sheik's attacks and win 90% of the time. fox on the other hand sheik can cc ftilt/uptilt his moves and trade/outrange him to get the upper hand. sheik cannot deal with falco's attacks outright, but sheik can beat fox's attacks all over with clever use of upair and bair once she forces him into the air. and while dd camping for fox might be crappy, sheik can shut it down by crouching and ground needles. not only can sheik not shut down falcos attacks, falco can shut her down instead by simply spamming lasers. say what you want, sheik cannot stop falco from shooting if falco knows what he's doing. fox vs sheik might not be exactly even, but it's relatively close so long as sheik bans FD in tournament, and sheik should beat fox on battlefield/fountain of dreams to make it even. falco controls sheik on all stages, even blatant counterpicks.

falco vs sheik is probably the most one sided match in the top tier, even more one sided than marth vs fox or sheik vs marth.
This seems like a very good explanation to me. I like hearing good explanations like this, even if it's not on topic cuz I always learn something.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
This is how I fight Sheik using Marth.

It's hard for me to fight them straight up, one on one, in the middle of the stage, so I focus on putting them in bad positions, and making the most out of those opportunities. For example, Edgeguarding, Tech Chasing, Platforms etc. I just really practice being able to make the most out of those situations, so that I make up for how much I suck at just fighting vs Sheik. This is probably pretty obvious, but yeah, just my 2cents. I had to double post too, cuz my comp was being weird and not letting me edit. Sorry.

Acro

Smash Ace
its an even matchup if the marth is smart and spaces. end of discussion.. yeah it blows for shiek if you can keep her in the air... nothing to do but try and spam needles to get back down

Retroking2000

Smash Master
Marth vs Sheik is a ****ed up match but it is doable. That guy is very right. A lot of up throws into up tilts. If you can get her to lose her jump, you can really keep her up there. The sword dance works well on her too. If you grab most of the game then around 80 % come in on her, she most likly side step and thats when you do your sword dance and she will most likly get hit by the third swing which will send her flying. Try to follow your cancles with a down tilt. The sheik will try grab you after arrials but that down tilt will mess her up everytime.

Marth vs sheik is all Grabs and juggling; yes. It's also helpful if you can edge-guard well. The key to edge-guarding a shiek, however oxymoronic that may sound, is to keep up the pressure off the platform. Always try to take the edge-hog opportunity, and take it early; trying too late could end in your doom through a well timed slap against the side of the level. If you're not into that, then the idea is to pressure her into using the vanish before she wants to. Those invincibility frames are what makes her so hard to nuke otherwise. If you can force her to miss a sweetspot, you've got it nailed. B-airs out of edge-hog work nicely for that; which is why I advise taking the ledge. Otherwise, you'll just have to rely on your range to deal the damage to Shiek; it's easier to send her out with a well placed f-tilt than an f-smash. Those shieks are always looking for an attack to punish, and Marth's f-smash is the one that makes their mouths water. F-airs are nice, as are u-tilts and d-tilts; d-tilts to push her out of grabbing range. And of course, as always, if your opponent gets predictable, make good use of the wavedash to f-smash. Mindgames > Technical skill =)

but in general as a lead in.

Sword dance can shread crouch cancelling if yu do it fast anough and finish correctly.In my experience fighting Sheik, Marth has 2 things that help him most in this match up. Forward aerial and grab. Those are easily my most successful moves against Sheik players, and not coincidentally are two of Marth's best moves. Just do what you can, and use plenty of grabs.

If you were willing to put the time in

practice using tipped and non-tipped forward aerial, and combos from up throw (don't know how well tech chasing from forward or down throw works, but you could practice that, especially because it could potentially lead to a tipper). also, you'll really want to avoid being grabbed by sheik, because that's her easiest way to combo you. keep her at the range of your tipped fair...

I SAY USE FOX AND **** THAT HOE ~

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Marth vs. Sheik and Marth vs. Fox are my two favoriate match-ups. I main a Fox, but those matches usually bore me if I'm not playing. There's just something about gracefulness going against speed.

Edit: What happened to the OP? Were you able to finally defeat his Sheik?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
its an even matchup if the marth is smart and spaces. end of discussion.. yeah it blows for shiek if you can keep her in the air... nothing to do but try and spam needles to get back down
This is basically saying"it's an even matchup if the Marth plays better than the Sheik." So what if the Sheik plays smart and spaces themselves correctly?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Then it's fun, theres no more boring then a sheik that has no idea what it's doing.
M2 vs Sheik is also "fun" then.

Ever notice how you may do a **** combo on sheik only to be tiltslapped to death? At high %, all sheik needs is a grab. Sheik can also needle the crap out of Marth's recovery.

Maybe it's something a little birdie told me about eurosheiks being smarter...

Aesir

Smash Master
lolwut?

Thats not even close to the same, mewtwo has no chance LOL.

Link vs Sheik is closer to Marth vs Sheik.

Ever notice how you may do a **** combo on sheik only to be tiltslapped to death? At high %, all sheik needs is a grab. Sheik can also needle the crap out of Marth's recovery.
Fair beats everything she has. and sheik only needles his recovery if marth is in the way of the needle, she can only shoot them diagonally down, and straight across. that leaves with a lot of room. Unless of course they're going out of their way to hit you with a needle then I could see that being a major problem.

They very well might be. lol

Retroking2000

Smash Master
My Comments In Red

Heh, tears I see those letters, the black ones. They can't hide from me. ^_^
**** it you are too smart

LOLl has a point

yeah thats true , you can smashDI needles(needs good reactions) also you can use the 1st swipe of overB , sheiks tilts arent that bad , marth needs to put some of his tilts to good use

not smarter just displaced mental aspect . its hard for europeans to learn moves of a US site because of PAL differences, the US sheiks have that easy dthrow to set up almost any of their combos , where as PAL sheiks have different forces to work with .

lolwut?

dont have it frostbyte aesir is challenge you M-O-R-T-A-L C-O-M-B-A-T

that was just a lateral statement because you said marth vs sheik is fun

i dont know about NTSC link , but PAL link is really good in this match up

Fair beats everything she has. and sheik only needles his recovery if marth is in the way of the needle, she can only shoot them diagonally down, and straight across. that leaves with a lot of room. Unless of course they're going out of their way to hit you with a needle then I could see that being a major problem.
fair is too good if a marth where to fully abuse the fair in that match up sheik offensive aspect will be inhibited . and thats the key most sheik play half blind when it comes to defense

They very well might be. lol
ROFL
hey aesir have you got any matches on youtube ?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
lolwut?

What type of fair? Rising shfairs don't hit if Sheik is ccing, single fairs can be outranged (or outprioritised, whichever way you look at it) by Sheik's ftilt. Approaching fairs can get you tilt/jabslapped, retreating fairs are good, but they aren't as effective as needles. Full jump fairs will get you *****. Keep in mind this isn't a reality, though you'd imagine a sheik who would "capitalise on your every mistake" with this kind of mindset.

Marth will always, at a certain point be vunerable to needle fire.

Aesir

Smash Master
What type of fair? Rising shfairs don't hit if Sheik is ccing, single fairs can be outranged (or outprioritised, whichever way you look at it) by Sheik's ftilt. Approaching fairs can get you tilt/jabslapped, retreating fairs are good, but they aren't as effective as needles. Full jump fairs will get you *****. Keep in mind this isn't a reality, though you'd imagine a sheik who would "capitalise on your every mistake" with this kind of mindset.
Again lolwut?

Unless the sheik just sits there throwing needles at you then retreating fairs will always work. This is where playing smart comes in, I'm not saying fairs are an end all solution, but when you do it right it gives sheik less options.

Unless it's FD.

retreating fairs can not be out prioritized by sheik. Unless she hits you with needles. in which case the sheik is an idiot for just sitting there charging and throwing needles.

Marth will always, at a certain point be vunerable to needle fire.
There are points where sheik can't hit with needle fire. >_> they lack versatility. It's not like y.links bow that can hit on every angle.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
retreating fairs = sheik dash attack. it's easy to catch marth without his jump then and slap for the kill.

Aesir

Smash Master
^ How often does that happen though? from personal experience thats happen to me, once a set a tops. >_>

Unless I'm just not thinking then it happens a lot more. Both Marth and sheik never use their DJ in this match up the first one who does lost the stock >_>

The Last Dragon

Smash Apprentice
The sheik I play against thinks he is INVINCIBLE. He keeps dash attacking me until he get an opening, but he aint getting no openings cos I grab his FACE. And every time he jumps I fair him DEAD!!!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
The sheik I play against thinks he is INVINCIBLE. He keeps dash attacking me until he get an opening, but he aint getting no openings cos I grab his FACE. And every time he jumps I fair him DEAD!!!

Dang dude, you must be mad good. I never thought of that. Grab Sheik, and when they jump Fair them. I should try that...Grab, and Fair when they jump. Sweet, thanks man.

:confused:Are you serious?

Top Bottom