• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth just got ten times better

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmIkv9S0nwc

Marth still has his IASA frames on his d-tilt just by looking at this video.

Here is an explanantion of IASA frames by The Great Leon in another thread. It's copied and pasted.

Interruptable As Soon As
basically you cancel some of an attack's lag with another action, like jumping, shielding, or attacking. in melee, marth's DTilt was 40 frames long and was IASA after 20 frames (iirc). So after 20 frames you could do something else, like a FSmash.
This means he can safely attack on the ground. If he gets a hit then just chase them. If he misses then cancel the lag with a dash or a roll.

This is Marth's game now.

Bow down before the Lord of Brawl.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Unless your name is Marth then you are a usurper to the crown.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
When Marth does a d-tilt he can cancel the lag with any other action as soon as he pulls his arm back from the stab.

That's as simple as it gets.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
oh ok i do that all the time i just didnt know that that was what it was called....too bad CCing isnt very effective anymore :(

Irow

Smash Ace
You dare challenge Marth? You dare threaten his throne? Heretic, prepare yourself for war.

You know, this could have been posted in the General Marth Discussion... But I guess that people need to know how much **** Marth is.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You can copy and paste my original post in the Marth discussion thread.

D

Deleted member

he's the best in melee too, I don't see the difference really.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Due to system changes and other characters geting nerfed, Marth is pretty much in a class of his own IMO.

denisuki~

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmIkv9S0nwc

Marth still has his IASA frames on his d-tilt just by looking at this video.

Here is an explanantion of IASA frames by The Great Leon in another thread. It's copied and pasted.

This means he can safely attack on the ground. If he gets a hit then just chase them. If he misses then cancel the lag with a dash or a roll.

This is Marth's game now.

Bow down before the Lord of Brawl.
Theorycraft some more.

L1F3

Smash Cadet
So what you are saying, that like in Melee, Marth can still "cancel" his d-tilt into another move? If he can still do that, how is he better? What about his other properties and the like? From what it looks like, he still has range, and same attacks [idk their properties tho], but runs slower, but his attacks come out/end faster than in Melee.

~L1F3

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
Too soon to tell if he will dominate Brawl, but he definitely looks promising :).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Notice the important dialogue @ 3:35:

"Where's your forward air now?"

Poor Sheik.

Hopefully Brawl won't be Marth infested and every tournament scene boils down to Marth dittos.

I doubt it really.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Marth didn't avoid the nerf hammer.
He gothit with it.
Yeah his tipper is still quite strong but it takes alot more damage to kill someone and the range was reduced.
His recovery was reduced a good amount as well.
not to say Marth isn't great but he isn't as good as he was last game which I am glad since it was **** facing a good Marth.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
How did he counter the nerf hammer?
You're not countering it if nothing else was buffed.
Marth has been nerfed they haven't given him anything to buff him up.
Canceling the lag of his moves has been there since melee so that isn't a buff.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Other characters got the nerf hammer alot worse.

Marth got faster in attack speed and has alot of natural combos in a game where combos are very hard to do. He doesn't need to risk jumping around in a slower game since his dancing blade ahs been buffed and how now still has his d-tilt cancel. This augments his approach game.

Also his counter now returns whatever damage would have been done to him but last just as long.

His nerfs are less range, less grab range, and slightly slower in running speed.

So what?

He still outranges the majority of the cast. He can still has good grab range and he still quick on his feet.

If you can't see why Marth is good in Brawl then I don't know what to say.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Dtilt can't really be used reliably as an approach because it takes much longer to dash forward then crouch and dtilt. By the time you can get this out unless the person you are playing is terrified they can react before you can even get the dtilt out. And they can still shield grab you if you try to jump in with a fair. If they happen to be near you it's decent though.

Having played Brawl the past 2 days, Marth is easily the best character as of now. The fact that as of right now it is incredibly difficult to combo someone from anything makes Marth's range stand out even more. His overB is ridiculously fast and while it doesn't kill until high percentages it makes a decent interrupt. His bair and fair for edgegaurding is also just as good as it was in melee.

I finally have gotten the hang of not trying to l-cancel...

emb1234

Smash Apprentice
Well, this is good to hear. I feel kind of sorry for people that don't play Marth, since he didn't get nerfed much. I know I'm sick of Fox and would be annoyed if he was just as good/ better. However, I am a Marth player, and I think I'm going to especially enjoy playing as him in this game, overpowered or not.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Marth actually did receive some buffs. His recovery is better now (hint: Side B isn't used for recovery anymore, Brawl noobs). Shield Breaker will actually break shields now and has better range. Side B combos more easily now as well. The counter just seems flat out stronger as well.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
The one character I hoped would be made less g ay and now he even more unstoppable than before.Wow.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Arcnatural: Dash? Pshhhhh. I'm not gonna dash much in this game cept to get quick grabs or dash attacks. I'll just fox trot or walk to d-tilt. Also his over B is very fast so Marth now has a good stopping/spacing/combo tool.

Jx31

Smash Ace
Arcnatural: Dash? Pshhhhh. I'm not gonna dash much in this game cept to get quick grabs or dash attacks. I'll just fox trot or walk to d-tilt. Also his over B is very fast so Marth now has a good stopping/spacing/combo tool.
Ah, it's a good day to be a Marth main.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh come on! How can he still be the gayest character in the game?

Not like I hate Marth, but he seriously needed to be toned down. I'm guessing that his loss in ledgeguarding (via autosweetspotting by other characters) isn't enough. >_>

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Great, now he's better. >_>

Oh well, he'll probably be banned in tournaments if he's that good. <_<

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Naw dude, Marth actually countered the nerf hammer, which is why his counter is so good now.lol
LuLz.

And holy crap, Does Marth even have competition? Atm, it appears his only worrisome characters could be Metaknight, Pit, and perhaps Sonic. [depending on how much he can get in people's faces, which appears to be quite the bit]

Even though his range did get slightly shortened, it's still > most other characters. Which means, yes, he will dominate again, regardless of him "killing at a higher percent." He can double fair again, his down-tilt is amazing again, his neutral air can actually kill this time around, his fair is better than it was, and his up-tilt appears to have more knockback. AND his grabs are just as good as they are in Melee. The only difference is that it seems more characters do not have to worry about the stun as much from the throws.

Hmmm. Marth > most, if not all characters. He will definitely dominate the early Brawl scheme. So much is certain.

Oh well, he'll probably be banned in tournaments if he's that good. <_<
Nah, it's very unlikely they are going to ban any characters. It's more likely that a few "Marth" stages will get banned. Unless, of course, every stage are belongs to him. Nobody bans Marth in Melee because he can still lose. This time around, there is bound to be a character, at least one, that will counter Marth. More than likely because of Edgeguarding. Metaknight or Sonic? Maybe Pit? Perhaps even Toon Link?

The point is, Marth didn't get nerfed in ways to make him unplayable. That's all. And considering everyone else appears to have been nerfed..... this is looking to be Marth's game.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Of course Marth wasn't banned in Melee but he still was a broken character. And buffing him would be unbearable for those who have to play against him.

Sure, they're could be one character who could counter him. But who will go through all of that? Espeically if they never liked him/her.

And who wanted to be nerfed to the point of being unplayable? I wanted him (as well as the other 4 top tiers) to be nerfed to the point where he isn't a suck pain to fight against.

Top Bottom