• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Discussion Thread

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
guys i heard that from the *** version of brawl to american, marth now has more lag in american with fair true or false?

Okysho

Smash Ace
But he's been nerfed so much he's hard to handle unless you play as only him... it's not a pretty sight...

Hi all! Oky's come to say hi!! Don't forget about me! I'll try and come back during the weekend and fix up this place, for the time being I need to fix up a bunch of my real-life stuff first, but I'll be back!

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i see in marth more nerfs than buffs
Buffs: forward b
sheilds faster
aerials can ko better
up a
up b more knockback
rolls better

Nerfs: shorter range
worse recovery cannot recover with forward b
cannot combo as much as before :( dont like this one
cannot chaingrab anymore
spiking now harder
floatier
edgeguarding got nerfed but still not bad
much harder to sh nair since range is worse

so why are ppl sayin that hes best by far hes top or high tier but not the best by far, this pisses me off cuz alot of ppl are playin marth since they think hes the best and hes a HAVE TO PLAY char. By this were getting people who play marth by just spamming forward a all the time and making him look dumb bu not using any other moves.

im sorry if i offended u or said anything bad but i hated when ppl said hes best by far when brawl is extremely balanced game and there is no super top tier chars. i believe that there is a best char for every indivual person because this char may suit his or her playstyle. dont stop using ur favourite char because hes not high in the tier list. if hes not high then make him high by using him well kinda like wat gimpyfish did:p
btw wat i say is not always right but i believe this time it is :) and no im not trying to troll and also why is this thread suddenly become a desert?

Okysho

Smash Ace
I agree with most of what you've said, however I can't agree with your statement that the whole game is balanced. Take a good look at SSE 50% of the time you're using Pit, Link, Yoshi, Mario and Kirby. Also, in terms of moveset all of the focus, power and buffs have been thrown into the newcommers leaving most of the vets with nothing. (Except the ones heightened by favourism) A perfect example of this is Marth, even Samus, who's charge shot now has almost 0 knockback. Link, Pit, Mario, Kirby, MetaKnight, DDD, Ike (Sorry SDZ it's true) Zelda, Wolf, got EVERYTHING making it harder for a person to simply pick up one character randomly to play as for fun, while still being good as their main. One thing that comes out of this though, it weeds out the "I'll play Marth cuz he's strong!" players from the true-blue Marth supporters, because it takes real skill to handle him now.
And I agree... where is everyone?

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
I agree with most of what you've said, however I can't agree with your statement that the whole game is balanced. Take a good look at SSE 50% of the time you're using Pit, Link, Yoshi, Mario and Kirby. Also, in terms of moveset all of the focus, power and buffs have been thrown into the newcommers leaving most of the vets with nothing. (Except the ones heightened by favourism) A perfect example of this is Marth, even Samus, who's charge shot now has almost 0 knockback. Link, Pit, Mario, Kirby, MetaKnight, DDD, Ike (Sorry SDZ it's true) Zelda, Wolf, got EVERYTHING making it harder for a person to simply pick up one character randomly to play as for fun, while still being good as their main. One thing that comes out of this though, it weeds out the "I'll play Marth cuz he's strong!" players from the true-blue Marth supporters, because it takes real skill to handle him now.
lol wow thnk god cuz i thought i would get so many bad posts at me and i rly dont like it wen someone says ill pick marth cuz hes strong and the only thing they do is spam forward a and think their good
btw i got a rly funny pic of ike but i dont want to post it or else sdz gonna kick my butt lol its about his "gayness":) and it was 100% random lol

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious as to what you guys think are Marth's weaknesses.
Because judging from how some of you guys go on, I wouldn't think he had any, lol.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Okysho: It's cool. I noticed I've been picking up some of the newcomers like Ike, Pokemon Trainer and Lucas. And Ike doesn't have everything lol he's kinda limited, especially one on one. You'll rarely see me use Ike in one on ones. He's powerful, but his moveset isn't really that great. I've talked to pros with Ike and most of them say the same thing and they usually have Ike as a secondary Main.

Doodx: ...Gayness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPqaai1XQU

...Hell I drew Ike in drag, so I'm curious of what you want to show lol.

I'm not that anal about what you guys talk about with Ike. Sorry if I came out that way a while ago. It's just too much Ike bashing all at once will get to me (I get that enough as is in real life, cause nobody likes me when I'm Ike << ).

off-topic question: Who happens to know a game call Tales of the Abyss?

Shök

Smash Champion
There is only one downside to the ultimate final smash, if you use it in the air and miss, it is instant DEATH! This does not occur when used on the ground, you'll stop at an edge.
Sorry to disagree, but I can assure you that is not true Okysho.

On FD, I had the final smash ball.

I jumped in mid air from the right side of FD and accidentaly used Marth's final smash.

I missed and I didnt hit anything.

Yeah I though I was dead but suprisingly I wasnt.

I flew all the way to the left side of FD, and then suddenly stopped.

Then I contined to make my way back to the stage.

I dont know it that was a glith or something but the final smash in mid air did not kill me.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned before.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Sorry to disagree, but I can assure you that is not true Okysho.

On FD, I had the final smash ball.

I jumped in mid air from the right side of FD and accidentaly used Marth's final smash.

I missed and I didnt hit anything.

Yeah I though I was dead but suprisingly I wasnt.

I flew all the way to the left side of FD, and then suddenly stopped.

Then I contined to make my way back to the stage.

I dont know it that was a glith or something but the final smash in mid air did not kill me.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned before.

Nope, Marth's final smash DOES NOT go forever. It stops. The same thing Happened to me, I got pretty lucky ^.^

I've even made stages where it dosent go all the way across.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to what you guys think are Marth's weaknesses.
Because judging from how some of you guys go on, I wouldn't think he had any, lol.
The only real weakness that isnt player-based is his sword range, it sucks in this game. That and he's pretty easy to kill, if you get him sent flying.

But those can be made up for, if the player is really good.

Characters aren't the ones with all the weaknesses, so much. Its more whos playing the character, so you should be asking "Whats your weakness, Superninjabreadman?" instead of "Whats Marth's weakness?"

Too bad Im not tellin.

__
And, Doodx, no offense man, but -please- learn to spell, it gets annoying reading the "Ok plz thnx lololololol" stuff a whole lot, Its fine -in- games. but when your talking about games... you really need to add your vowels in.

Worldkaos

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I've been busy failing at real life. College is kicking my *** this semester. After tomorrow I'll be free till my vacation in the middle of May. To SNBM and SDZ, so what's happening between us? I haven't been here in awhile :ohwell: And also, on the topic of Marth's weaknesses, two words. Projectile spammers.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Okysho: It's cool. I noticed I've been picking up some of the newcomers like Ike, Pokemon Trainer and Lucas. And Ike doesn't have everything lol he's kinda limited, especially one on one. You'll rarely see me use Ike in one on ones. He's powerful, but his moveset isn't really that great. I've talked to pros with Ike and most of them say the same thing and they usually have Ike as a secondary Main.

Doodx: ...Gayness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPqaai1XQU

...Hell I drew Ike in drag, so I'm curious of what you want to show lol.

I'm not that anal about what you guys talk about with Ike. Sorry if I came out that way a while ago. It's just too much Ike bashing all at once will get to me (I get that enough as is in real life, cause nobody likes me when I'm Ike << ).

off-topic question: Who happens to know a game call Tales of the Abyss?
GAME FACT

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGxCxSCZcE

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wSTThCIjx6k

10gayikes
even if i hate yao**** whit all my soul, i'm not blind and i'm sure he isn't a normal straight (may gay or asexual or even a closet straight).

BTW: I do know tales of the abyss (cause i'm a huge "tales of" saga fan (i even wanted cless as namco representative in brawl)), but i haven't played the game (cause of the lack of PS2, but still i know of Jade, Luke, Guy, Anise...)

Sorry, I've been busy failing at real life. College is kicking my *** this semester. After tomorrow I'll be free till my vacation in the middle of May. To SNBM and SDZ, so what's happening between us? I haven't been here in awhile :ohwell: And also, on the topic of Marth's weaknesses, two words. Projectile spammers.
well:

Emblem_Lord said:
Dealing with projectiles

1) Jabbing - This is simply using Marth's jab or any attack really to neutralize a projectile. This is the simplest and most effective way of dealing with a lot of projectiles and really limits their effectiveness. The attacks that I would suggest you use for this are Marth's jab of course, and his fair. Jab is very quick, but using the fair will allow you to adjust your spacing while getting rid of the projectile. This method works on Thunder Jolt, baby Aura Spheres, PK Fire, PK Thunder, Turnips, Peanuts, Razor Leaf, Fireballs, Boomerangs, Arrows, Missiles, Eggs, Waddle Dees and Paralyzer blasts.

2) SH Airdodge - By taking advantage of the new airdodge system and Marth's great DI, you can close small distances and still be relatively safe. You might eat a projectile or two, but nothing two serious. This can be used in place of jabbing if you like, but I personally reserve it for Din's Fire and Light Arrows. This really reduces the effectiveness of Din's Fire especially. Since you can DI while airdodging you still have control over your spacing, so remember that. You want to land outside of their close range moves, so you can start zoning them.

3) Rolling - Simple, but effective. Just a nice simple way of closing in quickly. Don't spam it otherwise your opponent will wait for it and punish. But if you know your spacing, and know the distance of when your roll will end in relation to your opponent's positioning, this can be a great way to put yourself exactly at the right spacing to start your offense. This is something I tend to use vs Falco.

4) Perfect Shielding - A good alternative to jabbing and gives you something better to work with vs projectiles that might be a bit tougher to get around. Works wonders vs Wolf's laser since it has a slow rate of fire. Works fairly well on Pit's Light Arrows too. After you Perfect Shield you will usually want to walk forward not run since you can't shield in the initial dash frame. If you walk forward however you can still shield. If you are close enough to your opponent, then you can run to close the gap. You can also SH from your shield or roll as well.

5) Jumping - There are three main forms of jumping that are most effective at closing in. There is full jumping, SHing, and instant double jumping. Full jumping is good for long distance, SH is good for very close distances. And Instant double jumping is a SH then immediately using your second jump. This is good for medium distances. Remember that you have complete control over your DI while jumping and you can airdodge at anytime or attack. You can also fast fall to hit the ground sooner. You options at your disposal so don't forget that. Different forms of jumping will come into play depending on your distance of course and who you are up against. I find full jumps to be most useful against Falco and I use SH's when I'm very close to start a spacing game. I also use SH's when I'm close to Pit to do the same. You can SH over Toon Link's standing arrow and Pit's Light Arrow if it's going straight.

6) Ducking - Simple, but effective for when opponents try to use SH projectiles and their projectile travels in a straight line. Most effective on Toon Link's SH arrow and Falco's SHL to an extent as long as the laser isn't too low. You can also duck a straight arrow from Pit.

7) Counter I do this a lot vs Falco not so much vs other characters. Good for when opponents try to use projectiles up close. Pretty straight forward and useful vs the space animals especially Falco, but also good vs Pit's who like to use arrows up close.

8) JC Fair out of shield Another good tactic for when you are close and you shield a projectile. Immediately SH from your shield and do a fair. You could also do Dancing Blade from the SH too if you wanted to be a bit more fancy and you are close enough.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
GAME FACT

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGxCxSCZcE

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wSTThCIjx6k

10gayikes
even if i hate yao**** whit all my soul, i'm not blind and i'm sure he isn't a normal straight (may gay or asexual or even a closet straight).

BTW: I do know tales of the abyss (cause i'm a huge "tales of" saga fan (i even wanted cless as namco representative in brawl)), but i haven't played the game (cause of the lack of PS2, but still i know of Jade, Luke, Guy, Anise...)

well:
LMAO XD! I see Ike in a new light. (Either that, or people just take things WAY too seriously and far into things). I knew Ike was a softy but geez. Oh the people at Intel System make me giggle.

anyway, yay someone that knows the Tales series ^_^ Though I kinda came late into the series (Symphonia was my first Tale's game). I just mentioned if anyone knew cause me and a group of friends have started fandubbing the skits in Abyss, and I kinda want some opinions. We're thinking of trying Symphonia at some point...cause those skits just aren't as entertaining as the original Japanese with voice acting.

I know this is so...out there right now for this thread, but I'm going through a Tales of phase and need some critiques from any Tales fans lol

To Worldkaos:

It's finals week for me, so I haven't been able to plan a rematch yet.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Yes it's true, Due to the facts presented, it kinda does show that Ike is gay, (not that I have anything against gay people) It's ust kinda sad when people don't admit it and try and put it on Marth (and I posted proof about that multiple times also)

As for a Namco rep, Personally I wanted Lloyd since his game did the best of Namco's share of the GCN reign.

As for player weaknesses, good analysis, Marth is good in only the best player's hands. ^-^ Boo Sakurai favourism!!

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Nope, Marth's final smash DOES NOT go forever. It stops. The same thing Happened to me, I got pretty lucky ^.^

I've even made stages where it dosent go all the way across.
It doesn't go on forever, it just goes a very long distance. If you are on one edge of a stage and shoot towards the other side, or you are on a huge stage such as Hyrule, you won't die if you miss, just fly a long distance.

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
Hey, whats up pals! Long time no see. Im sorry i havnt been on... My Wifi sucks and, well it isnt working at the moment, that is why my freind code isnt on here. Well hows it going everyone??!!

I just came by to say hi, and how is the tourney, i havnt bother to look yet, im just asking now!

T-major

Smash Champion
oh for Fu...!

seriously! I'm fu(king sick of this nonsense! in no way whatsoever, does that even IMPLY that Ike is gay! AT ALL! you know what it shows!? that Ike isn't an @$$hole! he cares about other peoples feelings, and the wellbeing of others. THATS SYMPATHY PEOPLE! Soren was hungry, he gave him a sandwich... that means he's gay!? AND YOU THINK THAT MAKES SENSE!? are you all fu(king ******** or something!? Soren's a branded, Ike doesn't care. that doesn't mean he's gay, it means he's not racist!

seriously. I don't know how the **** you people can be so stupid as to stretch things out of proportion like this. use some common fu(king sense people.

so, unless you can provide actual PROOF as to how Ike is Gay, and not two cut scenes that don't prove anything at all except that Ike isn't racist, I expect you to shut the fu(k and start using your heads for once.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
LMAO XD! I see Ike in a new light. (Either that, or people just take things WAY too seriously and far into things). I knew Ike was a softy but geez. Oh the people at Intel System make me giggle.

anyway, yay someone that knows the Tales series ^_^ Though I kinda came late into the series (Symphonia was my first Tale's game). I just mentioned if anyone knew cause me and a group of friends have started fandubbing the skits in Abyss, and I kinda want some opinions. We're thinking of trying Symphonia at some point...cause those skits just aren't as entertaining as the original Japanese with voice acting.

I know this is so...out there right now for this thread, but I'm going through a Tales of phase and need some critiques from any Tales fans lol

To Worldkaos:

It's finals week for me, so I haven't been able to plan a rematch yet.
Well ike may be asexual (after all he didn't knew how that impacted soren, cause soren had such a hard infancy, and ike being his first friend and all stared whit just giving a fuking sandwich... but he still don't show interest in woman), but who knows. Also Intelligent Sistems is a way to pervert (phedofilia, elderphilia, incesto, homo... and is calsificated "E+10"), also i think he has something whit ranulf.

BTW: "T-major" i DO know that don't exactly prove ike is gay, but the fact is he don't show any atraction to woman, and say some "gay" sentences like: "you're smarth, but bad whit your emotions", "(after soren tells ike he won't get close) then ill go close to you". he could easily say something more fraternal.

OFF-topic: well, talking about the linear motion battle system RPG saga, i think it's kinda cool you're fansubing it, but to be honest, why don't just copy the japanese skit voices and paste those in the skits? but still nice.

Also Okysho, even if i love ToS and Loyd Irving a lot, i think Cless Albaine deserves_more/has_more_chances than Loyd, i mean cless is the first tales hero after all... (also i have a theory of Cless being sucesor of loyd cause they second names sound a WAY to similar in japanese)

Okysho

Smash Ace
This is totally off topic... you're right, but I actually had a debate about this with my friend, he thinks that ToP is indeed a sequal to ToS.

Hey... did you notice that Marth and Sigrud are the only lords whom actually have a normal relationship with their characters? (Roy doesn't count because he can get married to Ciclea (sp) who is old enough to be his mother) Kinda strange isn't it?

Oh this isn't including FE 2 or 5 since I've never played either of them.

Also, just for the record, the Re-make for the GBA has it pronounced "Cress" though... since L and R are pretty much interchangeable in Japanese... should that matter?

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
This is totally off topic... you're right, but I actually had a debate about this with my friend, he thinks that ToP is indeed a sequal to ToS.

Hey... did you notice that Marth and Sigrud are the only lords whom actually have a normal relationship with their characters? (Roy doesn't count because he can get married to Ciclea (sp) who is old enough to be his mother) Kinda strange isn't it?

Oh this isn't including FE 2 or 5 since I've never played either of them.

Also, just for the record, the Re-make for the GBA has it pronounced "Cress" though... since L and R are pretty much interchangeable in Japanese... should that matter?
ToP IS a ToS sequel (is official). Also GBA vercion of ToP isn't very reliable, i mean they confused the gender of Klarth's wife. And cless is the japanese original and all of the "fansubs" of the original ToP for snes. the translators just did a mistake.

on-topic: Well to be honest the few of the FE lords have a establish relationship (i mean roy had like 6 sluts). Speaking of Sigurd, i think MAY he's blood related whit Marth (cause he uses a sword identical to falchion, and only Anry (and sigurd looks a lot like anry) descendants can use it, just a theory thought).

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Well Phantasia takes place thousands of years after Symphonia. But Symphonia is more of the Prequel really then saying Phantasia's a sequel. :/

And Fandubbing is more fun lol, plus the dialogue is not that similiar to the Japanese. (Jade could say Nibble in English, but he's really putting his glass up action in the Japanese version as an example).

See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLxtBNEADU
The bloopers are a riot lol.

alchfilosofer: i think you're thinking WAY into the Ike is gay thing lol. though I can see people saying that Ike's gay after that, it's really subtle proof. heck if I had gotten to see that scene before i read this, i would've gone "aww Ike's a softy *cries*" instead of "I'm going to seek out the part that makes you gay...omg there!". It was a good laugh to see it in that perspective, but it's not enough for me to believe Ike's officially gay.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Well Phantasia takes place thousands of years after Symphonia. But Symphonia is more of the Prequel really then saying Phantasia's a sequel. :/

And Fandubbing is more fun lol, plus the dialogue is not that similiar to the Japanese. (Jade could say Nibble in English, but he's really putting his glass up action in the Japanese version as an example).

See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLxtBNEADU
The bloopers are a riot lol.

alchfilosofer: i think you're thinking WAY into the Ike is gay thing lol. though I can see people saying that Ike's gay after that, it's really subtle proof. heck if I had gotten to see that scene before i read this, i would've gone "aww Ike's a softy *cries*" instead of "I'm going to seek out the part that makes you gay...omg there!". It was a good laugh to see it in that perspective, but it's not enough for me to believe Ike's officially gay.
To be exact phantasia hapends 4000 years after the symphonia end. and you're right symphonia is a prequel to phantasia.

And those fandubings were better than i expect, seriously 4kids NEEDS to learn from you and your frineds.

Also, i MAY be overthinkng ike sexuality, but anyway, i'm definetly not sure if he's gay, but i'm sure he isn't normal, that is all

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
lol i started a whole topic with a picture that i was goin to show but i CANT show it because i left my sd card at my cuzins:(
snbm: yeah i get u, i just get lazy and sometimes i cant read my own words lol, ill try better:)
T-major: not trying to do anything but seriously, is it coincidental that ike never talks to girls and is talking like that to soren all the time?
if u never knew who ike was what would u think?
this could also be a big mistake lol but look at it...

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
wow the thread just died
i need help with my sd card, wen i put it on a wii it says that it cannot store anything and btw it is micro sd so can anyone help? i wanna store sum vids so that i can post them:)

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
What an amazing thread. I think Marth is the greatest character in the history of SSB.
Who cares how he looks...well a little but he is awesome. Especially that sword. FALCHION

Okysho

Smash Ace
****... Okysho's finding himself busy until probably the beginning of june!! 2 Final projects due within the next two weeks, then the huge anime con of the year (I haven't even started on a costume so I'll either be Marth again [3rd year] or it'll be really crappy) then there's only maybe a week or two before I start studying for final exams!! Okysho is pwned by school!

But seriously the Defenders is sinking and fast, I know I need to re-work this place and polish it up, a lot. Also would it hurt to spend some more time on the DoA homepage? I know I haven't updated that in a while either, but there are forums there too... post something... please?

Truly sorry everyone!! The council has command until my return, check the DoA HP if you don't know your rank!

Okysho out!

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
****... Okysho's finding himself busy until probably the beginning of june!! 2 Final projects due within the next two weeks, then the huge anime con of the year (I haven't even started on a costume so I'll either be Marth again [3rd year] or it'll be really crappy) then there's only maybe a week or two before I start studying for final exams!! Okysho is pwned by school!

But seriously the Defenders is sinking and fast, I know I need to re-work this place and polish it up, a lot. Also would it hurt to spend some more time on the DoA homepage? I know I haven't updated that in a while either, but there are forums there too... post something... please?

Truly sorry everyone!! The council has command until my return, check the DoA HP if you don't know your rank!

Okysho out!
<_< You need to migrate the clan off this thread~

Hell, I'll go make the new thread to get some new members and more activity going.

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
O_O @ the Ike debate and stuff

Seriously, I already knew about much of the controversial/debatable stuff in "Fire Emblem" games that 'cause of the Marth Support topic.

At least Marth is a wholesome person, huh? :grin:

Okysho out!
Good luck!

I'm gonna go register at the Defenders of Akanea forums and try to stimulate it.

<_< You need to migrate the clan off this thread~

Hell, I'll go make the new thread to get some new members and more activity going.
Sounds good to me. :)

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
hey i just wanna say that i registered in defenders website :)
i also have to say that i will not be online alot because i have realy important exams very soon so if a new thread is made then you can add me as well in the support list :)

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could join this clan. I'm a Marth and Ike main of some decent skill, SilentDrifterZ can vouch for me I think... Anyways I signed up on the website although it looks a little dead on the forums section over there. I'll be around here a lot so don't worry about me being active.. I would done this much sooner but I just hadn't had the gosh darn time these days.

Top Bottom