• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Combos.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've been seeing combos that Marth can do and I figured we should create a topic to post as many combos that Marth can do, test them, and figure out if they're escapable, how escapable they are, and what percentages you can do them at. It would be good to list what conditions your combo needs to be done under. I'll post the first three.

#1 On Battlefield: (this is sort of hard to pull off and I've only done it on computers and only twice): u-tilt right below a platform, u-air and land on the platform, u-tilt the instant you touch the ground (should be extremely quick--less than 1/4 second), and then end with whatever aerial you like, I use a b-air in the most convenient direction. This works at early percents and I've seen it work on both Ike and another Marth. This may work at higher percents on other stages with platforms that are a bit higher from the stage than Battlefield's.

#2 Anywhere: At low percents you can short hop u-air, land on the ground and u-tilt. After that you can follow up with whatever. Not sure about the percents, but I've seen it work on Ike and Peach. From what I can see this is impossible to escape as you u-tilt immediately after the u-air. It's simple but doing things like this at the beginning can help you rack up damage fast.

#3 Anywhere: Emblem Lord covered this in his grab topic. According to him: Between 0%-5%, f-throw to f-smash. It should tip and give you a lead of 23%.

Feel free to post combos that, while technically escapable, are extremely hard to escape or will be extremely unexpected.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
The deal with the Uair is that you can "scrape" it when you land and cancel out the ending lag. You do Uair close enough to the ground so the hit box comes out but you hit the ground before the animation ends. When you touch the ground you are standing up and can do any move you want. Most do Utilt since you are most likely holding up on the control stick and just need to hit A. I have also done a dancing blade, Dtilt, Ftilt, even a forward smash after scraping a Uair. One of my favorites however would be scrape the Uair then jump and Nair.. .harder to do.. but effective.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Short hop fair then f-smash is a really good way to score about 30% damage. Dancing Blade (cancelled after 1st or 2nd hit) to Dolphin slash is a good combo to use against slower characters or those with high damage for a KO.

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
Shield cancel d smash more of a technique I have implemented that can be rewarding.

Duff0

Smash Ace
I do a small combo against everybody I play that I haven't played before.

SH fair to uair to utilt to nair

if there not expecting it its a good 40%

Felixphaeton

Smash Rookie
When someone is recovering from below the edge, run off, Fair, jump, nair.

If you can get the Nair in, then a kill is basically gaurenteed.

∫unk

Smash Master
Mindgame -> tipper fsmash. It works.

Duff's you can do a hyphen smash to finish. However, the opponent can get out after the first fair.

Are we including combos that occasionally work/usually work? There are certain combos that are hard to get out of but you can get out of them. For example the one xMiMix mentions (dtilt -> dancing blade) I believe can be DIed out but usually isn't.

xMiMix

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Ontario. I have a really good connection,
Mindgame -> tipper fsmash. It works.

Duff's you can do a hyphen smash to finish. However, the opponent can get out after the first fair.

Are we including combos that occasionally work/usually work? There are certain combos that are hard to get out of but you can get out of them. For example the one xMiMix mentions (dtilt -> dancing blade) I believe can be DIed out but usually isn't.
Yeah, It would be good to include these as well. I'm sure most of combos are going to be like that.
Most my opponents don't expect it anyway :)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Shield cancel d smash more of a technique I have implemented that can be rewarding.
Can you explain this one a bit? I'm a bit lost. Can the shield be canceled with a downsmash? I just haven't seen that before. If I get time to, I'll test this.

Thanks, and that definitely could prove to be a useful technique.

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain this one a bit? I'm a bit lost. Can the shield be canceled with a downsmash? I just haven't seen that before. If I get time to, I'll test this.

Thanks, and that definitely could prove to be a useful technique.
He probably means you dash at someone, then shieldcancel the dash into a downsmash.

Fhed

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I've been seeing combos that Marth can do and I figured we should create a topic to post as many combos that Marth can do, test them, and figure out if they're escapable, how escapable they are, and what percentages you can do them at. It would be good to list what conditions your combo needs to be done under. I'll post the first three.

#1 On Battlefield: (this is sort of hard to pull off and I've only done it on computers and only twice): u-tilt right below a platform, u-air and land on the platform, u-tilt the instant you touch the ground (should be extremely quick--less than 1/4 second), and then end with whatever aerial you like, I use a b-air in the most convenient direction. This works at early percents and I've seen it work on both Ike and another Marth. This may work at higher percents on other stages with platforms that are a bit higher from the stage than Battlefield's.

#2 Anywhere: At low percents you can short hop u-air, land on the ground and u-tilt. After that you can follow up with whatever. Not sure about the percents, but I've seen it work on Ike and Peach. From what I can see this is impossible to escape as you u-tilt immediately after the u-air. It's simple but doing things like this at the beginning can help you rack up damage fast.

#3 Anywhere: Emblem Lord covered this in his grab topic. According to him: Between 0%-5%, f-throw to f-smash. It should tip and give you a lead of 23%.

Feel free to post combos that, while technically escapable, are extremely hard to escape or will be extremely unexpected.
When u say test them, is it testing on computers or human players.

Warpix

Smash Rookie
I'm at school so I can't see the videos, I'll check them later, so I'm sorry if I'm listing something that has been shown in that video, but...

When on the ground Marth can do a Dancing Blade and then follow through with a Dolphin Smash, it racks up a fair amount of damage, but a full Dancing Blade should only but used on opponents with 0% since the final attack in a Dancing Blade may send the opponent out too far to be hit by the Dolphin Smash, so against damaged opponents, Marth should just not use the final attack in Dancing Blade. The other bonus about this combo is that although the Dolphin Smash may make Marth vulnerable for one or two seconds, when used on the ground, as it is here, it can send the enemy a good amount of distance, giving Marth time to recover from his Dolphin Smash.

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I've once pulled out: Grab near the edge -> Fthrow away from stage ->Fair -> Fair -> Dair on Zelda. IIRC it was from 0 to death on Lylat Cruise.

I think it's escapable though.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I'm at school so I can't see the videos, I'll check them later, so I'm sorry if I'm listing something that has been shown in that video, but...

When on the ground Marth can do a Dancing Blade and then follow through with a Dolphin Smash, it racks up a fair amount of damage, but a full Dancing Blade should only but used on opponents with 0% since the final attack in a Dancing Blade may send the opponent out too far to be hit by the Dolphin Smash, so against damaged opponents, Marth should just not use the final attack in Dancing Blade. The other bonus about this combo is that although the Dolphin Smash may make Marth vulnerable for one or two seconds, when used on the ground, as it is here, it can send the enemy a good amount of distance, giving Marth time to recover from his Dolphin Smash.
Why not just use the down finisher? It doesn't send people far at all. And Dancing Blade should almost always be followed through if you can. Not using the fourth move is not a wise strategy. If you're trying to follow it up with Dolpin Slash, I would understand that you wouldn't attempt a Dolphin Slash afterward if your opponent had a lot of damage already, but Dancing Blade deals great damage and the final hit has good knockback for the standard finisher, decent combo-ability for the up finisher (at lower percents) which lead into juggling, and the down finisher also racks up damage nicely and can be used to push the opponent off the stage without giving them much upward momentum, which is what you want when you look into edgeguarding options.

Thanks also to the ones who explained the Hyphen Smash and Aura Marth's technique.

As for the question about where I test these: All except for #1 are confirmed combos on humans and are inescapable (except there might be exceptions for the f-throw to f-smash even between 0-5%, and that is character-dependent, but I'm not sure about the exceptions). The first I'm still working on and have only pulled it off completely on computers (I think <.<;; ).

Edit: Oh, OmegaSephiroth, I've pulled off something similar too. Metaknight must have had some damage, I think. I pulled off a b-throw to f-smash tipped to RAR d-air spike. The spike was probably escapable, though. I think he was jumping to grab the edge and I hit him just before that. I didn't jump down to d-air him, though, it just used the outward swing of d-air to tip him from the stage. I saved the video on my Wii ;D

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Also I've gotten: Fair -> Utilt -> Bair (sometimes followed by Dair) I think this escapable too. (At least the Bair)
BTW, when I was once being edgeguarded, I did Fair -> Dolphin Slash = stage spike.

Smash Apprentice
On the spacies I like to chain fthrows together off the edge, run off, and jump while dairing (aiming for a tipper). I know that the throws aren't escapable at low percents (~0-23%), but the spike might be. Pretty much kills Falco, and if edgehogged, Wolf and Fox too. If you're facing the wrong way, you can dthrow to get them moving in the other direction.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
lol at the first match.

the third one was beast, I added it as a fav to my YouTube account.
Screw characters. Kizzu is top tier! So many uses for the dancing blade poke that I never thought of (fwd-b to nair is pwnage). He even used my "wind scar" combo (fwb-b to dolphin slash) better than I do. That makes sense tho considering Kizzu does mean "scar" in japanese. I think he is my favorite Marth and arguably the best one out there.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Easy combo that I haven't had anyone escape so far is just short-hop shield breaker into a d-tilt then a forward smash. If your distance is perfect the f-smash ends up bein a tipper. The shield breaker guarantees the d-tilt hits. At lower percentages you have to do 2 d-tilts to space the person for the tipper.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
I mostly chain together f-airs and predict air dodges. F-air is a huge part of Marth's game. Also, combos are overrated =-). Just forward B. Seriously. If your opponent is on the ground forward B, if they are in the air, forward air. Simple, yes?

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Actually, f-airs used to be a huge part of Marth's game. Basically all his moves have high prority now. Specially since his up/down smashes were revamped. And I've koed people so many times with a tip up-air it's getting old lol.
To omega: his d-tilt has great combo potential against walls but it's not exactly infinite. Best thing to do is 4/5 pokes then up-smash.

zero487

Smash Rookie
I always hyphen smash theneteor smash them to the edge then I throw them and meteor smash them one more time, if they have a shot at getting back up then I edge guard and keep meteor smashing until they die

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
lol @ triple post. Learn to edit posts.

Anyway, I looked through my replays yesterday and I noticed that in one match I did Fair -> Utilt -> Bair -> Fair -> Fsmash tipper. Looked really cool. Also I've killed few time with Fair -> Uair. Good stuff.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
thankyou a good thread worth of my awesomeness :D . my best combo on FD would have to be . sh fair to uair . bair .. wait a but drag them in with smashB then up B :) works on big chars

Top Bottom