• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Toolkit - Moveset Analysis

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Give FLUDD a special use in the air IE Hover Nozzle. When charged it could easily supplement the nerfed recovery from losing Mario's Down+B from Melee, while also being a decent gimping move to hit opponents below you during their own recovery with vertical pushback.
Building off of that, I think it would be interesting to incorporate FLUDD nozzles based on certain situations/inputs: Down+B in the air does hover, Down+B > Pressing forward does turbo, and Down+B > Up does rocket. It's pretty unlikely that Sakurai would do this, but I think it would give Mario a lot more options and make him more unique of a character.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I want the fludd removed his old down b was much better i don't need a move to safely edgegaurd it should still take risk to edgegaurd someone not just hitting down b. I want him to be more like melee mario/doc mario.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Customizable moveset to include the other nozzles of FLUDD.

Excuse my fanboyish dreams.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd love a new Final Smash for Mario. The Mario Finale looked cool and would be easy to buff, but it's so NOT Mario. And while I don't care for Mario a whole lot in his own games most of the time (since he's not really a character, he just has an endearing, jolly voice, and if there are multiple character options available, he usually has the most basic attributes), I'd like something that draws from his games a bit more. And I think I finally thought of the perfect one:

The Lucky 7.

Mario's games are all about using power-ups, including the Mario Kart games. It's what Mario is known for. Without power-ups, Mario wouldn't be interesting to use in his own games. Power-ups are also a huge part of Mario Kart, which is arguably more popular than Smash. So why not make power-ups the focus of Mario's Final Smash?

Although I say to use the Lucky 7, which is from Mario Kart, I don't mean incorporate an actual kart into it, but merely that Mario breaks open an Item Box from Mario Kart, and gets the Lucky 7 (this could be a flashy cutscene similar to Captain Falcon's Final Smash in Brawl). The items involved in the Lucky 7 are a Super Mushroom, Green Shell, Red Shell, Banana, Bob-Omb, Blooper, and an Invincibility Star. Of these 7 Mario Kart items, we know 5 are returning for Smash Bros. Blooper and Red Shell are the only ones missing right now. However, Red Shells were an item in Smash 64 and in Melee. They were absent from normal VS Play in Brawl, but were present in the Subspace Emissary. And since the Spiny Shell is in Smash 4, I think it's fitting that the Red Shell should return. As for Blooper, maybe it will be an item yet, but it wouldn't be a stretch to make it exclusive to Mario's Final Smash.

The Lucky 7 would work much like it did in Mario Kart 7. The items would spin around Mario while not in use, meaning he can keep them there forever, potentially, but if Mario gets hit, he'll drop the item. And the player simply has to press the A button to activate/throw the items.

I just think it's the most thematically appropriate Final Smash for Mario, and it would be more effective than the Mario Finale was in Brawl. If they wanted to, they could even change things up. They could add the other Mario items that are in Smash into it, and rename it (similar to how the Lucky 7 has become the Crazy 8 in MK8). Or they could simply make the 7 items he gets completely random, and they could encompass the entire item list (except for crates and what not).

I don't know, it just seems like it would be really cool.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Changes I would make:
--Technical Stuff--
Main: MAKE. HIM. FASTER. Just a tiny bit.
--A Moves--
Forward Tilt: Add a bit more horizontal knockback, so the opponent doesn't curve to the ground as fast.
Down Tilt: Maybe have a chance of causing forced tripping on the foe? Like 50-50%.
----
Forward Smash: Maybe add some range, not as in reach, but make like the fire-ball that comes from his hand bigger.
Down Smash: Add some more knockback, making it a good KOing move.
----
Up Air: Add less knockback, more combo potential.
Foward Air: Hit the sweet spot, act's like a Meteor Smash. Miss the sweet spot, act like Doc's.
Down Air: Make it a slight-meteor-smash (as in the opponent goes down, but not as fast) if the last hit connects with Mario's lower-foot area.
Back Air: A bit more knockback would be nice.
--B Moves--
Standard B: Make it more like the Main Game's Fireballs, having a shorter bounce, faster movement and 3 bounce-then sizzle, instead of Brawls 2 bounces, then sizzle.
Up B: Make it go a bit higher.
Down B: If you use F.L.U.D.D. in the air, it uses the Hover Nozzle, and you can hover for a set amount of time, depending on how long F.L.U.D.D. was charged up. No Charge = You ain't getting far. Max Charge = Almost like Peach's floating ability. Does not put you in a helpless state, though, so it's good for recovery.
--Final Smash--
Idea #1: Rock Mario from SMG2. Basically, you can become a giant boulder and get to roll around and road-kill everything. You can use it 3 times, but you cannot jump, and slamming into any object that isn't a player will break you out by force, and rolling off the edge will break you out with enough time to grab back onto the ledge. The plus side is, you move very fast and hit VERY hard with high knockback. Before boulder-izing, Mario can move freely and try to get in the path of the others so he can hit them, but he moves slower than normal.
----
Idea #2: Star/Rainbow Mario. Basically like Super Sonic, but you can't fly, however you get a VERY high jump + double jump.
----
Idea #3: Just buff the Mario Finale, make it bigger and un-escapeable once caught in it.
----
*phew* That's alot of typing. What do you think?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
More emphasis on his pyrokinesis(i.e. the Firebrand)
Other nozzles and moves for FLUDD
A better voice and more happy expressions.

Veggi

Smash Champion
This is basically my "If I lived in a perfect world" Mario moveset. I included the power-ups for Mario and Luigi, but not the rest of the ways I would want to differentiate them because that would take too long. Differentiating Mario and Luigi is a plus for me.

The power-ups were distributed to Mario and Luigi by how tied they were with each Mario Brother and if they weren't tied to them at all I gave them based on color scheme. They ended up pretty even with ten for each.

Power-ups:

Mario

Super Mushroom
Fire Flower
Tanooki Suit
Hammer Suit
P-Balloon (gone after set amount of time)
Metal Cap (gone after set amount of time)
Bee Mushroom
Propeller Mushroom
Rock Mushroom
Super Acorn

Luigi

Frog Suit
Vanish Cap
Blue Koopa Shell
Boo Mushroom
Spring Mushroom
Penguin Suit
Cloud Flower
Boomerang Flower
Super Bell
Double Cherry

1.) I think Mario and Luigi should have the ability to pick a power-up before the match and then activate it by taunting, which would just show him tossing it out and be very quick. If he taunts while he is already powered up he just looks around in his pockets and then shrugs. He gets the power-up available to him again every time he loses a stock, but he loses it when he takes 50%. I thought what they did with the metal cap in Brawl - was really cool. It could definitely be expanded upon.

2.) His dash attack should do more damage, go farther, and hit people horizontally instead of vertically.

3.) FLUDD has a really long lasting stream that can be aimed more flexibly, he also doesn't have to charge it. It just shoots until he runs out of water. The water is refilled every time he loses a stock or he touches water.

4.) His neutral b is replaced with the Luma Spin that spins enemies around in circles if it connects, making it so that if they try to recover immediately after being hit they will do the move in the opposite direction, making it's use for this just as useful as the cape. It also reflects solid projectiles (as opposed to Ness, Lucas, G&W that only work with energy projectiles.) When he uses this move in the air, he gets a boost upward. This move has no hitstun and hit people away from him, so people will not get their up b back if you hit them. To balance it, you can only do this once in the air before touching the ground. If you press down while in this move in the air, you while home in on the nearest target below you and do a lot of damage.

5.) His new up b is the hover nozzle that pushes people downward slightly if it hits them and it has no hitstun. If you up b on the ground, it's the same one he has in Brawl. Both nozzles access the same tank so if you lose all of your water, you will have to rely on Luma Spin to recover. If the player isn't stupid, this should never happen, but it prevents spamming FLUDD.

6.) If you hold the jab button, he releases a steady stream of flame right in front of him that hits constantly. Similar to the way Pit's two types of jabs work.

7.) Forward smash is a very strong hammer with the same animation as Mario's RPG games.

8.) His new side b is whatever power you picked. Certain powers would not have all their abilities activated by side b though. For example you would hold jump to hover like the tanuki and you can glide with the cape by holding jump. Fireballs would be much better than they are in Brawl btw. They would be bigger, last longer and you would be able to shoot two right after each other.

When the player does not have an item activated, using side b will make him do a long jump that can be canceled with an aerial or special move and keep the momentum.

9.) His down air is his ground pound. It is used as both an attack and a way to get to the ground faster.

10.) Mario can crawl. If you run and then crouch, you will slide. It would help him a lot with projectiles in the same way it helps with projectiles in his 2D games. If you are crouching and get hit you won't move. If you tap up after pressing down, you will do a back-flip. If you tap down, then up while running you will do a long jump. If you are running and press back and then jump, you will do a side flip.

13.) Down smash is stronger.

14.) If Mario footstools someone it does 20% and has a lot of hitstun. It also is unaffected by shields.

15.) Mario has a new down tilt. It is the animation for Mario's low Galaxy Spin. If Mario crouches and then uses Galaxy Spin, he will attack with his foot instead of his hands. It would be so much more interesting than the one he has now.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Good news, everyone! The Mario Finale is back, and it's better than ever!
...Sorry, I lied.
It got Faster, Less Multi-Hitting and Smaller.
Good job, Sakurai/HAL/Sora/Namco-Bandai. Good job.
Just what Mario needed.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
I would like to see changes ability-related to Mario. I never want to be Mario because his abilities seem bleak. Same with:4luigi::metaknight::4mii::4yoshi: in my opinion

p.s. If anyone wants to send me conversations they are welcome because I really feel like debating with someone lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Considering the new physics engine, I personally suspect Mario is probably totally fine. He's good at setting up juggles, which this game puts a larger emphasis on.

Small things I'd want are his Jab cancels to be more consistent on the entire cast, and his U-tilt to have fewer ending lag frames. His F-air in general should deal more damage for how difficult it is to land. Also his D-air should have been the ground pound with his N-air being the Mario Tornado, but w/e.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think it'd be cool if Mario could use the hover nozzle with F.L.U.D.D., and his down special do slight damage.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Give him a recovery similar to this:
You'd be able to do that Ground Pound with the nose Mario does, if you steer it down.
It'd deal good damage and knockback to opponents that are hit directly, and grounded ppl next to you would suffer a weak hit similar to Dedede's Up B Ground Pound.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
1. Recovery. With a guy with the nickname of Jump Man, he should have better recovery.
2. FLUDD. I like his FLUDD move, but it should deal more knockback and do some damage.
3. Fireball. This move needs to deal more damage, and maybe travel farther. And some minor other changes to make it better.
4. Faster. They should really increase his speed a bit.
5. Attack power. It's clear that most of Mario's attack were a tad weakened in Brawl, so they should have more power this smash.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
1. Recovery. With a guy with the nickname of Jump Man, he should have better recovery.
2. FLUDD. I like his FLUDD move, but it should deal more knockback and do some damage.
3. Fireball. This move needs to deal more damage, and maybe travel farther. And some minor other changes to make it better.
4. Faster. They should really increase his speed a bit.
5. Attack power. It's clear that most of Mario's attack were a tad weakened in Brawl, so they should have more power this smash.
I have heard people say he's much more sped up, up to the point of him being high tier potential, so that's good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
  • Jab cancel combos more consistent on all the cast
  • U-tilt less ending lag so that it self combos more reliably and is a safer anti-air
  • F-air more damage/knockback (I think they did this from what I've seen?)
  • B-throw slightly more knockback
  • D-air grounded hitbox more vertical knockback to improve combos. In fact, make that his N-air. >.>
  • Mario's REAL D-AIR SHOULD BE THE GROUND POUND. Oh well
  • Mario's current N-air should probably do 12/6 damage at any rate. 10/5 damage? I mean...really?
  • More damage on Cape
  • Complete invincibility on startup of Up-B (should be invincible frames 1-6 imo), disallow SDIing of the hits. If it's not going to be a kill move, that's completely fair.
Those are the main ones that I can think of from a competitive standpoint.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Thematically, absolutely nothing. I know a lot of people HATE F.L.U.D.D. but it helps his diversity a ton. Gives the players a taste of what the game has to offer along with the rest of his moveset. (Reflection moves, pushing moves, projectile moves, recovery moves, etc.)

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
I always wanted Mario to get a new up throw where he throws the enemy up so that they land on a brick block that appears out of nowhere just above his head, then jumps and punches it from underneath sending them flying upwards.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
:4mario: moves [SSB4]
standard :GCB: Fireballs
side :GCL:or:GCR::GCB: Super Cape
up :GCU::GCB:Jump Punch
down :GCD::GCB: Super Mario Galaxy like Mario Tornado

Down aerial :GCU::GCD::GCA: SSBM Like Mario Tornado

Last edited:

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I think that maybe Mario should be able to switch his FLUDD nozzle between squirt and hover through one of his taunt buttons. Similar to how Samus switches beams in Project M. But Mario can do it while airbourne on the fly.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not sure what else to really say. We already know all of his variant moves. I'm hoping that Scalding FLUDD is as useful as it sounds, I'd totally use it as a move.

Other than that, I hope he has more general K.O power this time around. From the E3 demos, it seems like people managed to use him fairly well. I hope this keeps for Mario in the official release. Because he looks almost as fun to use in Melee.

One last thing, the I'm hoping the Mario Finale is stronger.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I know it's basically said and done, but here is what I would've liked to see in his moveset.

Remove F.L.U.D.D. and replace it with the Mario Strugglenado.
D-Air becomes a ground pound like P:M Wario.
Side-Special alts were Hammer and Boomerang from their respective Suits.
SOME part of his moveset involved his iconic hammer in every RPG (F-Smash? D-Smash? Dash Attack?)
Somehow, duck-jumping was capable because of how iconic it is in core Mario games.
N-Air was the Galaxy spin.

And for the love of god do SOMETHING with that mediocre Final smash

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I know it's basically said and done, but here is what I would've liked to see in his moveset.
As unlikely as it would do him any good, there's always balance patches/DLC that could mean more change down the line.

...Though I think his Final Smash is just destined to suck.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
As unlikely as it would do him any good, there's always balance patches/DLC that could mean more change down the line.

...Though I think his Final Smash is just destined to suck.
Hm, hopefully they'll either buff up Mario's FS or give him a whole different FS all together (Although, the second choice's probably highly unlikely, especially that the fact that were getting even closer to the release.). But regardless of how close we are, anything can change for Mario. :ohwell:

SmokeOut

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2406-5837-9935
They just need to make him exactly like Project M Mario. The best Mario to date!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I come back (after thinking this got no replies) to find out that this Thread is not only stickied, but there's more then 70 replies.
Thanks, mates. I'm gonna update this to make it a bit more accessible in the near future.
If anyone could get me gameplay pictures of each of his moves that I don't have shown already, that would be fantastic.

Last edited:

SmokeOut

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2406-5837-9935
There's a video showcasing all of his custom moves on YouTube. I would like to see them used in actual competitive combat though.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Noone listened, I guess.

Last edited:

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
This a good guide, but doesn't really show you how to play Mario. :v

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Sorry if my post is in a wrong thread but, which are the best Mario custom moves to use in a competitive scene? Like the second good gust cape, fast fire ball etc. Thanks!

Top Bottom