• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Toolkit - Moveset Analysis

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
MARIO'S TOOLKIT

A SUPER SMASH BROS. 4 MARIO MOVESET ANALYSIS
Enclosed Instruction Booklet;
Clean = Always that Damage % when Clean
STK = ~___% = Starts to Kill around that percentage of damage (from center of Training Room) [No STK = Won't Kill]
SSS(Shooting Star Smash) = when a Meteor Smash is used on the ground and the foe is sent upwards
Power = Damage + Knockback

U/F/D/B = Up/Forward/Down/Back, used before Smash/Tilt/Air/Throw
RHop = Reverse Hop, AKA Jumping Backwards
SHop = Short Hop, AKA Tapping Up on the Control Stick/Pad or Tapping the Jump Button for a brief moment, so your character does a very small hop.

ABOUT MARIO
Mario, a.k.a. Mister Video Game, is the definition of "BALANCED", well, aside from the obvious Wii Fit Trainer pun. Like Melee says, his true skill shines depending on what YOU do. He has basically everything, Projectiles, Reflectors, Pushing Effect, the like, so play him however you want him, unless it's for Kamikaze-ing....Mario isn't the suicidal type.

STANDARD ATTACKS
JABS

Jab 1; 3% Clean

Jab 2; 2% Clean

Jab 3; 4% Clean
STK; +350%

TILTS

Up Tilt; 6% Clean
STK; ~235%

Forward Tilt; 7% Clean
STK; ~250%
Can be Angled

Down Tilt; 5-7%
STK; ~400%

Dash Attack; 8% Beginning, 6% Ending
STK; ~375%

SMASH ATTACKS

Up Smash; 14% Clean No Charge, 20% Clean Full Charge.
STK; ~165% No Charge, ~125% Full Charge

Forward Smash; 18-19% No Charge, 24-25% Full Charge | 14-15% Sourspot No Charge, 20-21% Sourspot Full Charge (Sourspot is at Mario's Palm)
STK; ~200% No Charge, ~175% Full Charge
Can be Angled

Down Smash; 11% Clean Front, No Charge, 14% Clean Front, Full Charge | 13% Clean Back, No Charge, 17% Clean Back, Full Charge (Front = Mario is facing the Foe, Back = The Foe is behind Mario)
STK;~230% No Charge, ~185% Full Charge

AERIAL ATTACKS

Up Air; 7% Clean
STK; ~175%

Forward Air; 14% Clean Sweetspot + Meteor Smash, 12% Clean Sourspot (Sweetspot is just a bit infront of Mario)
STK; ~100% Midair, ~270% SSS

Neutral Air; 8% Beginning, 5% Ending
STK; ~300%

Down Air; Multihit, 1% > 1% > 1% > 1% > 1% > 5% Clean. 10% Total.
STK; ~230%

Back Air; 11% Beginning, 7% Ending
STK; ~215%

SPECIAL ATTACKS

Up B; Multihit, 5% > 1% > 1% > 1% > 1% > 3% Clean. 12% Total.
STK; ~280%

Side B; 7% Clean + Flips Opponents + Reflects Projectiles

Neutral B; 5% Entry and Bounce 1, 4% Bounce 2 and Bounce 3

Down B; 0% Clean + Pushes Opponents + Chargeable

CUSTOM MOVES
UP B

Super Jump

+Jump Height -Damage (0%) -Knockback (No Knockback) -Startup Invincibility

Explosive Punch
+Power -Jump Height -Number of Hits (2 Hits)
8% > 13%, 21% Total

SIDE B

Shocking Cape
+Power +Destroys Projectiles -Foe Flip -Projectile Reflection -Cape Brake
12% Clean

Gust Cape
+Pushback -Power
5% Clean

NEUTRAL B

Fast Fireball
+Speed +Flies Straight +Range -Power -No Bouncing
3% Close Range, 2% Long Range

Fire Orb
+Damage +Multihit +Large Hitbox -Very Slow -Knockback -Range
2% > 2% > 2% > 2% > 2% > 2% > 2%, 14% Total

DOWN B

Scalding F.L.U.D.D.
+Damage +Less Charge Time -Range -Pushback
2% > 2% > 2% > 2% > 2%, 10% Total

High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.
+Pushback +Recoil Pushback +Range -Longer Charge Time

PUMMEL + THROWS

Grab

Pivot Grab

Release

Pummel; 3% Clean

Up Throw; 7% Clean
STK; ~240%

Forward Throw; 8% Clean
STK; ~285%

Down Throw; 5% Clean
STK; ~330%

Back Throw; 10% Clean
STK; ~185%

ADVANCED TECHNIQUES
CAPE BRAKING
How to perform; Use Mario's Cape Mid-air with Horizontal Momentum
Advantages; Stops Momentum Completely in small frame of time
UP B ANGLING
How to perform; Tilt the Control Stick/Pad in certain directions after triggering Mario's Up B
Advantages; Allows Mario to have a better Horizontal Recovery (Hold Control Stick Forward immediately), have a Reverse Up B (Hold Control Stick Back immediately) or have a better Vertical Recovery (Wait a little bit, then hold Control Stick Back)

COMBOS
NOTE: I CANNOT GUARANTEE ALL THESE WILL WORK, AND THESE ARE NOT TRUE COMBOS, MEANING YOU CAN START AND/OR FOLLOW UP WITH ANYTHING YOU PLEASE.
  • DThrow > UTilt until foe is just above Mario's Head > USmash
  • FThrow/BThrow > Jump > Neutral B
  • FThrow/BThrow > Dash Attack
  • DTilt > UTilt/USmash/FTilt/FSmash/DSmash/Up B/Neutral B/Down B/Side B/Jab
  • RHop > BAir, keep following foe > Nair
  • SHop > DAir > FTilt/UTilt/Side B/Forward Up B (AT)/Jab

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let's see....

First off, the fireball.
- The fireball's bounce should not decrease as it travels.

- Mario should be allowed to throw two fireballs at a time instead of one.

- Should be faster and go further.

Then, the cape.
- Implement the ability to glide using the cape like in Super Mario World.

Super Jump Punch
- Longer range please.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Let's see....

First off, the fireball.
- The fireball's bounce should not decrease as it travels.

- Mario should be allowed to throw two fireballs at a time instead of one.

- Should be faster and go further.

Then, the cape.
- Implement the ability to glide using the cape like in Super Mario World.

Super Jump Punch
- Longer range please.
I like the bounce idea for fire balls and the faster and further part as well as the glide part, im gonna add those to my OP.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Let Mario use FLUDD as a vertical recovery when pressing down-b with a fully charged up FLUDD in the air.

It would also push down enemies trying to get back on stage :3

a "soft" meteor

D

Deleted member

-FLUDD should have two types of nozzles. The first is the regular nozzle. The second nozzle is if FLUDD is being used in the air, he will become his Hover nozzle and this would help Mario recover slightly. The height and duration of this depends of how much you've charged FLUDD.
-I would have loved to see Mario's neutral air be his spin from Super Mario Galaxy, but it looks like that isn't happening...
-Buff Mario's recovery with the Super Jump Punch

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
how bout you have to hold a direction when choosing a nozzle.

like if your on the ground and you want to shoot forward, just use the regular directional aiming from brawl (with added improvements to range, and consistency).
also when you on the ground, when you press and hold down b, it aims the nozzle down and shoots you up like diddy kongs up b.

this way. if your in the air and you want to gimp someone it doesnt default to the recovery option.

i kinda like the cape glide idea. that will greatly improve his horizontal recovery.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
how bout you have to hold a direction when choosing a nozzle.

like if your on the ground and you want to shoot forward, just use the regular directional aiming from brawl (with added improvements to range, and consistency).
also when you on the ground, when you press and hold down b, it aims the nozzle down and shoots you up like diddy kongs up b.

this way. if your in the air and you want to gimp someone it doesnt default to the recovery option.

i kinda like the cape glide idea. that will greatly improve his horizontal recovery.
Yeah I would think the flood would work kinda like this.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
More power to his smashes, also maybe uair/bair; make dtilt safer to use, make flood not suck or replace it with tornado (probably not happening). It would actually make a lot of sense for Flood to double as a recovery, so maybe go with that.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
:mario2:
1. Aerial F.L.U.D.D switches to Hover Nozzle
2. More Special Power based attacks. Like how F-smash has a fire property, his D-Smash/U-Smash should have something too. For example: temporarily turning into Metal Mario during the attack for Heavy/Super armor.
3. U-taunt having a slight chance(around 5-10%) to make him temporarily GIGANTIC but being able to only do it once a match. Making him bigger wouldn't be overpowered, I mean... Bowser is weaker because he was a bigger target.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I've talked this to death, but...

-FLUDD should automatically charge over time like ROB's laser.
-Hover nozzle in the air. Boost to recovery, fun way to semi-spike recovering enemies.
-Holding down the Cape button mid-air should make him put it on and glide after swinging it.

I would just love if he had a really dynamic way of recovering to keep enemies guessing, while simultaneously being really good at stopping enemy recovery.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
im not really a fan of the time charger thing.
warios farts,
robs laser.

i prefer manual charge. that way you can select the right amount of power without having to guess at which time to use it.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
im not really a fan of the time charger thing.
warios farts,
robs laser.

i prefer manual charge. that way you can select the right amount of power without having to guess at which time to use it.

Technically, both ROB and Wario have indicators for when the laser's full charge, and Mario could too... but I get what you mean. And I'm not a fan of Wario's 120 second timer either, ha.

I don't really get exactly what Mario's charging is actually supposed to be, though. In Mario Sunshine, you wouldn't have to stand still and pump ever... just stand in water and suck it in. Also, in a heated battle it's hard to stand still and pump just so you can ineffectively squirt water later. I dunno. I just don't really like anything about the move as is. :)

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
I honestly just want PM Mario. He's the all-around character he was always meant to be.

Of course, that is highly unlikely, but he definitely needs a few power buffs.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Technically, both ROB and Wario have indicators for when the laser's full charge, and Mario could too... but I get what you mean. And I'm not a fan of Wario's 120 second timer either, ha.

I don't really get exactly what Mario's charging is actually supposed to be, though. In Mario Sunshine, you wouldn't have to stand still and pump ever... just stand in water and suck it in. Also, in a heated battle it's hard to stand still and pump just so you can ineffectively squirt water later. I dunno. I just don't really like anything about the move as is. :)
I would definitely speed up the charge among many other buffs to the move.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Going from Brawl to Smash 4, Mario definitely needs an overall buff in KO power to be viable. After that, FLUDD needs to be expanded on in some interesting direction. Brawl Mario was just too weak and had too little options.

An example of a great Mario is as Sonar said, Project: M Mario. He's the perfect balance between power, speed, and defensive capabilities, and he's viable vs everyone. The P:M team literally didn't change anything in his moveset, but that Mario felt so new and refreshing.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
If FLUDD shot more water, lasted longer, and were aimed easier, with a few extra nozzles, and the ability to make people slip, and do a bit of damage, it'd be awesome.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see Mario having a better recovery. Mario is famed in-universe for his jumping prowess, so it fits. The loss of Mario Tornado has hurt his ability to survive.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see Mario having a better recovery. Mario is famed in-universe for his jumping prowess, so it fits. The loss of Mario Tornado has hurt his ability to survive.
True, but they kept it true to the original Mario games. Luigi jumps higher, but Mario has better traction.
And if you take him out for a spin in Subspace, Mario platforms like a dream.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
In my mind, Mario should be the Ryu of the Smash universe. Ryu, while not the best character, is the starting block of the balances and differences in the Street Fighter games. He is the fighter that a newbie can pick up or a pro can use to destroy with. He needs some major buffs and I would like to see his fireballs work the way they are supposed to; zone opponents but of course no where near Samus. I do like everyone's idea of being able to point FLUDD downwards and help Mario's recovery.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
-Mario's down special should change to the Luma Spin. It should do a fair amount of damage and high knockback. It should also make Mario hop up a little (like it does in SMG), so it can also be a viable recovery.
-Mario's down aerial should change to the ground pound. It would be like a more easily-cancelled, weaker version of Bowser Bomb.
-Mario (and Luigi) should do damage while footstool jumping! Y'know, because in their own games, jumping is their main weapon. It wouldn't even take up a move, it's just a neat homage to the Bros' platforming past. I'm thinking like maybe around 3% (edited). They should also bounce off the opponent a little higher than any other character.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
10% thats crazy high for a footstool
luigis taunt spike only does like 1%

i think 1% or 2% should be sufficient.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
-Mario's down special should change to the Luma Spin. It should do a fair amount of damage and high knockback. It should also make Mario hop up a little (like it does in SMG), so it can also be a viable recovery.
-Mario's down aerial should change to the ground pound. It would be like a more easily-cancelled, weaker version of Bowser Bomb.
-Mario (and Luigi) should do damage while footstool jumping! Y'know, because in their own games, jumping is their main weapon. It wouldn't even take up a move, it's just a neat homage to the Bros' platforming past. I'm thinking like maybe around 10%. They should also bounce off the opponent a little higher than any other character.
I dont think theyll change his down-B since its alredy been showen that its the FLUUD
"Mario's down aerial should change to the ground pound"I really dont think that happen since his down arial in Brawl was a good damege racer just to make KOing easier
10% is crazy for a footstool it should be like 3%

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
His Final Smash...is terrible. Easily dodgeable.

Hopefully they make it so you can at least direct the stream of fire after it's launched.

Or better yet, give Mario a new FS altogether. I'm sure they can come up with something else more creative.

Ixisspark

Smash Rookie
If his down+ b went into his other forms and neutral b were just the projectiles he throws

Ex: Pressing down+b transforms mario in hammer mario and then he can lob hammers and then if he became bee mario he could fire a bee in a straight line.

but obviously I would only add two more power ups after his normal form

Edit: Also maybe depending on the form either his smash can change or a hidden stat boost and nerf is added

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
make the fireball more consistent on the ground, improve FLUDD by letting it spray a more concentrated water spray, give his recovery more vertical distance or just change it all together. Mario has a lot of potential moves from his power ups. I say use more of that. Mario has a fireball from fire mario, give him more moves from his power ups. That could really change the character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well for some general stuff, I say give his Down Smash and Forward Smash some more kill power. Maybe add a fire effect to his other smash attacks to look more flashy. Make his down tilt more powerful too. Let Mario shoot two fireballs at once instead on one. Much like in his own platforming games. Let the fireballs bounce further too.

Letting Mario glide with the cape like in Super Mario World would be cool. Even more so if he can use the slam attack when landing from a glide.

Other than that give the Super Jump Punch more vertical range. Maybe, just maybe, give it the chance to be a better kill move too.

I posted some changes I want to see with FLUDD in another thread, so here's that post

"FLUDD could use a few improvements. Here's what I would do personally.

1) Let it do some damage. I seriously want this the most. I would have more of an incentive to use this attack, and I'm sure others would too. But when it does damage, Mario doesn't make the enemy flinch. Much like Fox's blaster. And the opponent isn't ringed out, at least you can say that you got some damage in on them.

2) Fix the charge time. It shouldn't take so long to use the move. If anything, have it work like Bowser's Flamethrower. Where Mario shoots water as long as Down + B is held. But it looses power if you hold it too long. This would be ideal to me as that's how FLUDD works in Mario Sunshine. Mario holds down the nozzle, and water shooting out until it slowly putters out.

3) Move knockback. Given that this move's main purpose is to push the enemy away, it would make things easier for FLUDD if the push back felt a little more significant.

Hover Nozzle: Someone mentioned giving it some kind of air recovery option. I think that would be interesting. We don't have that many moves that change when used in the air do we? On top of acting as a recovery option, maybe if the enemy touches the water of the hover nozzle, they take damage and are pushed downward."

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I would like if they make new voice clips for him, in Brawl he sounds bad, his ko scream is too quiet, he sounds nowhere near as good and energetic as the Galaxy games and after.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
From Melee's Nintendo Power Player's Guide.

Weak Attacks

1-2-3: Left Jab, Right Cross, Toe Kick

Strong Attacks
Upward: Uppercut
Forward: Plumber Kick
Downward: Leg Sweep

SMASH ATTACKS:
Upward: Lead Headbutt
Forward: Fire Glove
Downward: Breakdance Sweep

Dash Attack: Slide

Aerial Attacks:
Center: Plumber's Boot
Front: Plunger
Back: Drop Kick
Up: Bicycle Kick
Down: Drill Kick

Special Attacks
Standard B: Fireball
Forward B: Cape
Upward B: Super Jump Punch
Downward B: Mario Tornado

Grapples and Throw Downs
Pummel: Clutch Headbutt
Front: Heave-Ho
Back: Airplane Swing
Up: Mario Launch
Down: Down the Drain

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I would like if they make new voice clips for him, in Brawl he sounds bad, his ko scream is too quiet, he sounds nowhere near as good and energetic as the Galaxy games and after.
On a similar note to his voice, I'd like him to actually say his catchphrase at least SOMEWHERE in the game.

Like perhaps the character select... "Its-a me, Mario!"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On a similar note to his voice, I'd like him to actually say his catchphrase at least SOMEWHERE in the game.

Like perhaps the character select... "Its-a me, Mario!"
Well he does say "Lets-a Go!" when he starts a fight. That's like his second catch-phrase.

King Orfut

Smash Cadet
-Mario (and Luigi) should do damage while footstool jumping! Y'know, because in their own games, jumping is their main weapon. It wouldn't even take up a move, it's just a neat homage to the Bros' platforming past. I'm thinking like maybe around 3% (edited). They should also bounce off the opponent a little higher than any other character.
Im a fan of the Ground Pound idea. Damn near love it

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Give FLUDD a special use in the air IE Hover Nozzle. When charged it could easily supplement the nerfed recovery from losing Mario's Down+B from Melee, while also being a decent gimping move to hit opponents below you during their own recovery with vertical pushback. Would be a better and much more useful reference to Mario sunshine.
Other things I want are mainly system based, like making sure characters cannot dodge out of hitstun so I can actually combo with Mario in this game. That would be nice. Backwards ledge grabbing is probably still going to be a thing so a horizontal range buff on the cape would be more than warranted to try and supplement for that entirely. Less landing lag on specific aerials like Mario's Forward Air and Neutral Air would be nice too. Really though I just want a better Down+B tool and a better combo game. The other buffs are just there to fluff around and hope for a great showing from Mario cause Brawl was a sad story for him.

Top Bottom