• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's down B in SSB4?

Frown

poekmon
I highly doubt that Mario will have a move from Super Mario Sunshine in the next Super Smash game. Do you think it will be the tornado once again since he had a similar move in Super Mario Galaxy, or something else?

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Fludd

Mario still has the tornado in Brawl so I doubt it would combe back as a Down B Move. His D-air is so much better than the tornado because it has nearly no lag. Fludd was barely used to its full potential in this game so Hover, Rocket and/or Booster modes could be added in SSB4. Brawl however is likely to be the last smash so SSB4 may not ever happen. Other Down Specials it could be are Ground pound, Long Jump, Mario Wing Cap/ Flying ability in SMG, and Charge like in Paper Mario(makes next attack more powerful and great with multi hit attacks) FLUDD's has good priority and range in Brawl already so it may remain the same in SSB4.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sakurai isn't putting Mario in SSB4. He's replacing the cast with the pandas in pandalian.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
OK well I think he may get his Galaxy move just have to wait and see.
side note no way this is the last one SSB=$ Nintendo:love:$

gallax

Smash Hero
if they used the F.LO.O.D. to shoot him in the air it would be kool. kinda like wario's fart. you have to chard the F.L.O.O.D. and then it shoots him way up and he goes wahooooo!!!!!

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
FLUDD in HOVER MODE

Fludd in hover mode would be best because it would help recovery and could be used as a spike. Being directly under Hover could knock the opponent downwards and be excellent for edgegaurding.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
in ssb4, they'd just make his dair tornado have a "galaxy" effect, making withs ome sparkle of light or sumthing

E-unit

Smash Cadet
If they DO make the F.L.U.D.D. have all those functions, what will be the button used? If they stick with the four controlls in SSB4, wont that complicate things?

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Maybe the F.L.U.D.D. will do something similar to Olimar's Pikmin?
Certain nozzles come out in a certain order. Normal(weight difference) --> Hover(horizontal recovery) --> Jet(approach) --> Rocket (vertical recovery).
This sounds like the most logical (and thus, most unlikely, logic is never followed in life *sigh*) way to make his F.L.U.D.D.

E-unit

Smash Cadet
....OR.....they could have it to where you can choose a permanent mode before matches, like a costume....meh:confused:

Neb

Smash Lord
Between the times of Melee's release, and Brawl's release is about seven years. They're bound to make a new Mario game before (if) the new SSB4 comes out, so maybe something completely different. But just for suggestion, what about that Raccoon tail/costume that allows him to fly?

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think in Brawl they should make FLUDD so that it doesn't have to be charged. However the stream wouldn't go on forever, and would still be situational as usual so it wouldn't be over powered. Actually that might be over powered but FLUDD as it is now has it's uses, but still it's one of the most useless specials. Also I think his recovery should be better, much better, Mario is a platformer king. If he has FLUDD he deserves to have the hover nozzel attachment. In Sunshine he couldn't even take it off am I right? Mario just let's himself die.

He doesn't glide either when he clearly has a cape. (I've never even seen his cape work like it does in Smash before.) He also can't crawl, but he can in 64 and Galaxy. Also I want his Luma Spin from Galaxy in. It was like his signature move, and it couldn't be abused because it takes a second or two for Luma to come back.

Maybe I'm just too much of a fanboy, but his b moves all seem sort of idiotic to me.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
Mario's moveset is designed to have something for every situation, I think his specials definetly fulfill that purpose. The cape to reflect projectiles, help recover, stall, reverse momentum. The F.L.U.D.D. to deflect projectiles, stop momentum, space, divert attacks. Fireballs as a spammable projectile, approach move, setup move. Super Jump Punch as a good recovery move that's fast and has invincibility frames.

I wish I understood why Mario is seen as such a poor character, but I guess I'm just a noob.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Mario's moveset is designed to have something for every situation, I think his specials definetly fulfill that purpose. The cape to reflect projectiles, help recover, stall, reverse momentum. The F.L.U.D.D. to deflect projectiles, stop momentum, space, divert attacks. Fireballs as a spammable projectile, approach move, setup move. Super Jump Punch as a good recovery move that's fast and has invincibility frames.

I wish I understood why Mario is seen as such a poor character, but I guess I'm just a noob.
The Luma Spin could deflect projectiles, as well as provide a recovery and up b could be the hover nozzel, it would still make sense that it would come out fast, as well as being recovery that could actually be on par or more with the other character's recoveries.

I don't have a problem with the actual move FLUDD, just that it has to be primed and I'm sort of nuetral on the fire balls. Also how would FLUDD be used to halt momentum? Also Mario isn't bad, but compared to some of the other characters, it makes it obvious that he would be a much more fun, as well as more useful if some things were changed.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I say screw his down B. Change his entire moveset. Game and watch-ify him. I wanna see Mario broken in ssb4. People don't realize how epic Mario could be if they gave him what they should give him. He's been thru so many games and done so many things, you could write books on the guy

Veggi

Smash Champion
I say screw his down B. Change his entire moveset. Game and watch-ify him. I wanna see Mario broken in ssb4. People don't realize how epic Mario could be if they gave him what they should give him. He's been thru so many games and done so many things, you could write books on the guy
I thought his down b was a good idea, they should make it more useful though. His side b and up b need to leave though, seriously making up moves for Mario=no go.

Also his side smash should be a hammer.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
I thought his down b was a good idea, they should make it more useful though. His side b and up b need to leave though, seriously making up moves for Mario=no go.

Also his side smash should be a hammer.
Your Ignorance Sickens me, His side B comes from Super Mario World on the SNES, it was arguably the best Mario game ever made. That's where the tornado, and the Cape came from.

Furthermore his up B is symbolic of his ability to jump up and smash bricks from below.

Seriously you know nothing about Mario history.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Your Ignorance Sickens me, His side B comes from Super Mario World on the SNES, it was arguably the best Mario game ever made. That's where the tornado, and the Cape came from.

Furthermore his up B is symbolic of his ability to jump up and smash bricks from below.

Seriously you know nothing about Mario history.
I know his side b is a cape, but it functions nothing like the one in the games, therefore it equals a made up move. Also I know Luigi's current drill spin came from that game, but where did he have a tornado? Also his up b was made up too, Mario jumps up to hit blocks. It wasn't a recovery move in his games, it was him crushing blocks. Functions made for things Mario has in his games that don't exist in his games, are what I would consider made up.

Also you know what sickens more people than lack of knowledge for Mario games? People who get mad and insult people, when the person on the insulting end had a reason for what they said.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
I know his side b is a cape, but it functions nothing like the one in the games, therefore it equals a made up move. Also I know Luigi's current drill spin came from that game, but where did he have a tornado? Also his up b was made up too, Mario jumps up to hit blocks. It wasn't a recovery move in his games, it was him crushing blocks. Functions made for things Mario has in his games that don't exist in his games, are what I would consider made up.

Also you know what sickens more people than lack of knowledge for Mario games? People who get mad and insult people, when the person on the insulting end had a reason for what they said.
I take you never spun with the cape in Super Mario World then, Did you know that It could stop baseballs and other projectiles? I'll bet you didn't. Likewise you can also hit enemies with the cape to daze and kill some.
The cape in SSBB works very similar to the cape as an attack in SMW, the only real difference there a reflector property is added.
To top it off the cape slows your decent and helps your recovery in SSBM and SSBB. Take some time to go play Super Mario World and Oh I don't know, GET THE CAPE AND USE IT AS AN ATTACK before you tell me that it functions nothing like the cape in it's original source,

(granted you cant fly with it, personally i think you should be able to hold the cape out when you use it in the air to enter a glide, but still be able to just tap to use it as in the standard way it's used now. That would be cool)

Oh and by your logic for the Super Jump Punch, Mario shouldn't even be able to do mid air Jumps. Or his Fair spike (which pwns)

Also, how do you fail to see the resemblance between the Mario Tornado and the Luigi Cyclone, (hint they look exactly the same the previous SSB, and still look almost identical in brawl)

Now please, don't act like you know everything about Mario, because you so clearly don't.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I take you never spun with the cape in Super Mario World then, Did you know that It could stop baseballs and other projectiles? I'll bet you didn't. Likewise you can also hit enemies with the cape to daze and kill some.
The cape in SSBB works very similar to the cape as an attack in SMW, the only real difference there a reflector property is added.
To top it off the cape slows your decent and helps your recovery in SSBM and SSBB. Take some time to go play Super Mario World and Oh I don't know, GET THE CAPE AND USE IT AS AN ATTACK before you tell me that it functions nothing like the cape in it's original source,

(granted you cant fly with it, personally i think you should be able to hold the cape out when you use it in the air to enter a glide, but still be able to just tap to use it as in the standard way it's used now. That would be cool)

Oh and by your logic for the Super Jump Punch, Mario shouldn't even be able to do mid air Jumps. Or his Fair spike (which pwns)

Also, how do you fail to see the resemblance between the Mario Tornado and the Luigi Cyclone, (hint they look exactly the same the previous SSB, and still look almost identical in brawl)

Now please, don't act like you know everything about Mario, because you so clearly don't.
The bolded are statements that shouldn't be taken seriously as they provide no additional persuasion and are statements that are made without any knowledge of the person in question.

The cape in Super Mario World would destroy everything not just projectiles. Projectiles are just objects that it would eat through and it has nothing to do with the cape's reflector abilities. The cape in Smash Bros. turns people and projectiles around and when it does it causes damage. In Super Mario World it was a spin attack. The only thing they have in common is that they do damage, in two different ways. Also regarding the cape, the style it is used in Super Mario World is far more effective for damage dealing, as well as different than the style used in Smash Bros.

The main function of the cape in Smash Bros. is it's ability to turn things around. Considering this feature was never used in Super Mario World, not even the style, shows that they are not the same thing. I agree on the thing about Mario should be able to glide with it, assuming the cape is the same thing in both SMW and SSB. Taking that feature out is ridiculous.

Yes, he shouldn't be able to jump in midair and his f air doesn't make much sense unless you look at it as just Mario having the ability to increase the size of his body parts. However I never stressed the problem of his second jump because there is no available replacement for it that could be taken from his games. If they changed Yoshi's second jump to him jumping simply twice, then I might be a little concerned. Whether Mario's f air pwns is irrelevant.

About Mario's previous down b and Luigi's current down b. I wasn't referring to them. I was referring to Luigi's d air. Also about the last thing, I could say it right back to you and it would make just as much sense. I never stated to know everything about Mario and neither did you. This arguement is almost pointless anyway. It's all revolved around how similiar I consider things.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
i think that the fludd could be a directional thing. If you shoot it behind you, you fly forward like foxes side b but slower and stronger, forward would do what it does right now, if you don't press anything it could do the same thing as squirtle's water gun when it hurts people, if you shoot it down you go upwards, and if you shoot it up it shoots out a bubble kinda like yoshi's egg or it could just shoot some water that hurts people or the water could be like game and watches uair

i guess veggi and superraccon are too wrapped up in their foolish argument to care about anything else

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The bolded are statements that shouldn't be taken seriously as they provide no additional persuasion and are statements that are made without any knowledge of the person in question.

The cape in Super Mario World would destroy everything not just projectiles. Projectiles are just objects that it would eat through and it has nothing to do with the cape's reflector abilities. The cape in Smash Bros. turns people and projectiles around and when it does it causes damage. In Super Mario World it was a spin attack. The only thing they have in common is that they do damage, in two different ways. Also regarding the cape, the style it is used in Super Mario World is far more effective for damage dealing, as well as different than the style used in Smash Bros.

The main function of the cape in Smash Bros. is it's ability to turn things around. Considering this feature was never used in Super Mario World, not even the style, shows that they are not the same thing. I agree on the thing about Mario should be able to glide with it, assuming the cape is the same thing in both SMW and SSB. Taking that feature out is ridiculous.

Yes, he shouldn't be able to jump in midair and his f air doesn't make much sense unless you look at it as just Mario having the ability to increase the size of his body parts. However I never stressed the problem of his second jump because there is no available replacement for it that could be taken from his games. If they changed Yoshi's second jump to him jumping simply twice, then I might be a little concerned. Whether Mario's f air pwns is irrelevant.

About Mario's previous down b and Luigi's current down b. I wasn't referring to them. I was referring to Luigi's d air. Also about the last thing, I could say it right back to you and it would make just as much sense. I never stated to know everything about Mario and neither did you. This arguement is almost pointless anyway. It's all revolved around how similiar I consider things.
Now suppose Mario's cape was amazing as it was in Super Mario World, (can you say unbelievable broken and overpowered, due to virtually no ending lag and pure rapeage on damage, knockback, and hitstun?) Did you know that Fireballs also delivered killing blows to enemies too? Also where is Mario's ground pound ability if that is so important to you.
Furthermore, do you realize what you said by admitting to the no mid air jump? Only a handful of characters would be have even a halfway decent recovery.
Functionality of moves isn't suppose to be exactly the same in Smash Bros. are they are in their respective source games, their suppose to reminiscent of those games.

Did you know that at the time of the first Super Smash Bros. foxes move set was completely made up? Before then Fox McCloud was never once depicted in hand to hand combat.
Also, where does most of Olimar's moveset come from?

The point is Mario's move set has a lot of source reference that still functions very similarly.

If you want to argue about characters being true to their characters rather than functional in the Smash Universe please go to this thread and post on

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165818

You'd find it quite enjoyable really,

Veggi

Smash Champion
Now suppose Mario's cape was amazing as it was in Super Mario World, (can you say unbelievable broken and overpowered, due to virtually no ending lag and pure rapeage on damage, knockback, and hitstun?) Did you know that Fireballs also delivered killing blows to enemies too? Also where is Mario's ground pound ability if that is so important to you.
Furthermore, do you realize what you said by admitting to the no mid air jump? Only a handful of characters would be have even a halfway decent recovery.
Functionality of moves isn't suppose to be exactly the same in Smash Bros. are they are in their respective source games, their suppose to reminiscent of those games.

Did you know that at the time of the first Super Smash Bros. foxes move set was completely made up? Before then Fox McCloud was never once depicted in hand to hand combat.
Also, where does most of Olimar's moveset come from?

The point is Mario's move set has a lot of source reference that still functions very similarly.

If you want to argue about characters being true to their characters rather than functional in the Smash Universe please go to this thread and post on

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165818

You'd find it quite enjoyable really,
The cape and fire balls could be balanced, yet they would still be the same attack. Also, only the weak enemies could be taken down with one hit if I remember correctly, and it took quite a couple hits to bring down someone like Bowser. I didn't say I approved of either the Smash Cape, or the SMW cape. I never mentioned that all of the moves that Mario had should be put into Smash Bros. However if it were to be in, I think his ground pound should be mapped to down air. So his Luma Spin could be his neutral b and his fire balls would pull a Ness and be his side b. That's just my opinion though.

I think I already explained this, but mid-air jumps that are pulled out of no where are fine as long as they don't have anything that could be used to replace it. (Yoshi's flutter kick jump) The same thing applies to the other character's moves, note that I said making up moves for Mario was a no-go, I didn't mention any other characters for a reason. Also, reminiscent doesn't seem to be what Sakurai was going for, look at poor DK's moves. I could only recognize 3 of them. One of the three was 2 thirds of the actual move. Also, I didn't say that every character should be as powerful as in their games, but Mario has plenty of moves from his games that could be used for his specials, yet we get things like his side and up b.

I've seen the topic, it isn't anything worth putting up here since it's not what I'm talking about.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The fact that the attacks come from his games should be enough. Trying to relate lag or their usage in 2 completely different types of games is irrelevant. I'm just saying I'd like to see Mario in MK's place where he belongs without blood, sweat and tears put into practice.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Here is how I'd want to see Mario's moveset changed if a new Smash game was created.

1. D-air should be the ground pound
2. N-air should be Mario Tornado

Otherwise, I'm quite fine with his Down-B being FLUDD.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The fact that the attacks come from his games should be enough. Trying to relate lag or their usage in 2 completely different types of games is irrelevant. I'm just saying I'd like to see Mario in MK's place where he belongs without blood, sweat and tears put into practice.
This guy is right we're arguing like two uber Mario nerds about three moves. Mine consist of "look how similar they are." yours consist of "but look how different they are."

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
He's hitting **** with a cape. I don't see how that could possibly construed as two different things. The Link boards aren't freaking out because Link doesn't carry the bombs with two hands. The UpB IS Mario. It wouldn't make any sense to have anything other than a jumping uppercut. Jump up, put your fist above your head, hit stuff. He even has coins come out of the opponent like a block.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I actually had a crazy idea once of making a hybrid of Melee Mario and Brawl Mario's Dair so you could have something like a drill tornado.

Gindler

Smash Champion
FLUDD, I don't see why everyone was so POed they took away the tornado as a special. It was nearly useless as a special and now that the tornado is Dair (way more useful than the drill thing). So yeah way better now.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman

It's because characters like Marth, Meta Knight, Snake, etc can all easily beat Mario without much effort, or, in fact, more like half the characters in Brawl without much effort.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Nah, he'll keep it. Sakurai doesn't like changing characters movesets. even when new games come out, he ussually keeps the moves for the players. Did fow change in any major way after asault? no

Top Bottom