• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776460p1.html

The game is called "Mario & Sonic at the Olympics"

"Players compete in events around venues based on official locations for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Featuring a supporting cast of recognisable faces from the world of both Sonic and Mario, players can choose from a range of characters including Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, Tails and more."

I myself am reluctant to believe this, what with April Fools coming up,.What do you guys think?

edit: http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php
looks pretty real after all. If this is true, we can all but assume Sonic is in brawl. ^_^

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh. My. GOD.

If it's an early Aprils fool Joke, gg. I can stand being fooled by liking this.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
This IS factual. Go to the link and you will see statements from the heads of SEGA and Miyamoto himself. Besides, a quick look at the chalendar tells me it isnt April yet.

I wonder how long this game has been in development. It seems to be comming out relatively quick considering when they announced it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It seems to be comming out relatively quick considering when they announced it.
Hence one of the reasons it could very well be an april fools joke. Seems to be coming out way to soon, and rather a time before the olympics. And being up on the official site? Blizzard announced that Whisps were the new race for the WoW expac.

And the date? There's been pleanty of jokes that have come out a day or so before april 1st, it's gotten so people expect something like this on the first, but a few days before makes it seem more credable.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Vulpine51 said:
This IS factual. Go to the link and you will see statements from the heads of SEGA and Miyamoto himself.
Yeah, because there's no way that words could be made up. If it's written down, it must be true!

Gideon said:
I'm a woman.
Whoa! Wasn't expecting that!

I don't know. I'm pretty hesitant to believe it. Considering we're only a few days before April Fool's, it could EASILY be a prank.

I'll believe it on April 2nd. If it's true, then awesome, Sonic's almost a guaruntee for Brawl. If it's not true, then it was a pretty good prank.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There was an article of this in USA Today. If it's a prank, they got pwned.

I

i8waffles612

I hope its not a joke.... Oh well, we will just have to wait till after April Fools Day....

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Considering that someone plays a joke like this every year & "Mario & Sonic at the Olypics" is the most uncreative title I've ever heard, I say it's a joke. They might as well have called it "Mario & Sonic go to Camp." A real game would have a title like "Mario Vs. Sonic: Olympic Blast", except different and better then that.

Vulpine51
This IS factual. Go to the link and you will see statements from the heads of SEGA and Miyamoto himself.
But if you don't go to the link you won't see them. Explain that, genious.

Vulpine51
Besides, a quick look at the chalendar tells me it isnt April yet.
What's a chalendar? Is that like a calendar for people who are challenged?

Vulpine51
I wonder how long this game has been in development.
0 seconds.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer

Volrec

Smash Lord
Considering that someone plays a joke like this every year & "Mario & Sonic at the Olypics" is the most uncreative title I've ever heard, I say it's a joke. They might as well have called it "Mario & Sonic go to Camp." A real game would have a title like "Mario Vs. Sonic: Olympic Blast", except different and better then that.

But if you don't go to the link you won't see them. Explain that, genious

What's a chalendar? Is that like a calendar for people who are challenged?

0 seconds.

Jeez freeman, dont be so rude. Everyone makes mistakes.
Judging by the boldings, so do you.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
What I think: Another Mario spin-off/sports game with some pizaz

What I hope: An April fools joke that leads up to the announcement of Sonic in brawl...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
The Olympics logos and brands are not very easy to obtain for anything. Going out of their way to secure the rights to the Olympics for a joke is an absolutely ******** business move, and Sega and Nintendo would be in extremely deep sh*t if they used the Olympics logo and brand without the Olympic council's permission.

This isn't fake in any sort of way.
from a post in the sonic thrad in brawl dsicussion. I think that makes sense, and pretty much confirms this.

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
from a post in the sonic thrad in brawl dsicussion. I think that makes sense, and pretty much confirms this.
I agree. It wouldn't suprise me either. With all the other Mario sports spin-offs you kinda run out of sports. Why are the Olympics so hard to believe? Is it because Sonic is included too?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You guys are REALLY drawing lines. Just because there is a game coming for the Wii, possibly, that has Sonic doesn't automatically mean Brawl will have him. He had his OWN Wii game and there has been no announcement so far. It's not to say he won't be in it, BUT you guys are just jumping to conclusions on scraps.

The more I read, the more I hope this is a prank, but if it's not, I doubt I'd play it.

Also, it IS coming out a full 6 months before the actual Olympic Games which is a bit odd to me. I think it's just a hype machine that Nintendo is using to get some money from the Olympics. It's ratings have been down in recent years, and having kids playing games like something they can watch on TV will entice them to watch.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I don't remember games based on the olympics being good so I'll pass. Which is a shame because IGN's teaser made it sound so cool.

"Sonic and Mario finally team up..."

Then I click on the link and it's like "For the olympics!"

Why did everyone jump on this as being fake so quickly?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
This was also featured on a segment in Attack of the Show today. Nothing was shown but the main picture, so at this point it's either real or they've been fooled too. First I'm thinking "It's finally happened" and now everything is so much more complicated than it should be. If this is true, there's like a 99% chance Sonic will be in Brawl. If not, then, lol.

This is quite a stir. I'm looking forward to what the status will be this Monday.

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
From IGN:
'We asked the inevitable question, what does this announcement say about the possibility of Sonic becoming a playable character in Nintendo's forthcoming Wii fighter, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but neither Nintendo nor SEGA reps had any comment.

"We're only speaking about this title so there's no comment about that," said Scott Steinberg.'

grawr. we were this close to a comformation. I think it's safe to assume Sonic is in brawl at this point, but we don't really know until we get something official.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
CK, the reason this is being taken is partly confirmation for sonic in brawl isn't that its sonci on the wii. that we have. its the fact that nintendo and sega are working on the same game with sonic and mario in the same game. Nintendos obviously not going to tell sega it can't publish on the Wii, but letting the publish doesn't mean they're necessarily collaberating with them. This, however does mean that.

D

Deleted member

It might be a joke, but on Matt-IGN's blog he said that this is one of the games that he's known about for a long long time but he couldn't tell anyone about. Sooo yeah.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
CK, the reason this is being taken is partly confirmation for sonic in brawl isn't that its sonci on the wii. that we have. its the fact that nintendo and sega are working on the same game with sonic and mario in the same game. Nintendos obviously not going to tell sega it can't publish on the Wii, but letting the publish doesn't mean they're necessarily collaberating with them. This, however does mean that.
You are assuming that just because a company, like Sega or Nintendo, is the publisher, the developers are all the same. Is it possible? Sure. Is it definite? Not at all. Snake was never in a game with Mario, but he was in there as a surprise. Goombas were in a game with Mario. Does that mean they will automatically be in it?

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
You are assuming that just because a company, like Sega or Nintendo, is the publisher, the developers are all the same. Is it possible? Sure. Is it definite? Not at all. Snake was never in a game with Mario, but he was in there as a surprise.
Actually, Mario and Yoshi had a cameo in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for Gamecube...

I'm not saying the reasoning is any more rational, but. Yeah. They were technically in a game together. Eh-heh.

Bomberman and Wario were also in a game together.

And Snake was in a game with Optimus Prime.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
You are assuming that just because a company, like Sega or Nintendo, is the publisher, the developers are all the same. Is it possible? Sure. Is it definite? Not at all. Snake was never in a game with Mario, but he was in there as a surprise. Goombas were in a game with Mario. Does that mean they will automatically be in it?
Goombas are glorified peons. It is a species classification, not a real character. Sonic is the central character of his own series, which has previously had nothing to do with the Mario series. The selling point of this game, I would argue that the very reason it exists is to put Sonic and Mario in the same game. It is a collaboration of two companies which it is widely known and excepted do not share properties with each other and the very title, "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games," totes that fact around. I agree that it isn't a certainty, I agree that folks may be counting unhatched chicken embryos, this doesn't make Sega a 1st-2nd party developer, but let's face it but; if this is legit, its something of a big thing. So, Sonic in Brawl? You're right, not definite, it is really teatering the edge of probable in my mind right now.

I'll step back now, and let the inevitable rampant speculation take its course.

Andy

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Goombas were in a game with Mario. Does that mean they will automatically be in it?
CK, don't be an ***. You know there's a diference ebtween the weakest enemies in the mario universe and a major character.

And if there's an adventure mode again, yes. Yes, goomba's will be in it.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
The only April Fools' Joke I know about is EGM's April issue which mentioned the new Kingdom Hearts game on the Wii, which will be titled "Mushroom Kingdom Hearts", where Nintendo, Disney and Square characters join up to fight the Heartless! As much as I was excited at the idea, it was just a cruel joke by EGM...

But no, we knew Sonic and Mario had to join up SOMETIME, and for the first time ever, they will be colliding in the olympics. It's all over the internet, and IGN doesn't post cruel jokes (besides, having Mario and Sonic jumping hurdles would be a VERY DIFFICULT thing to photoshop.)

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Still, no details have really been talked about, gamewise...or so I know of. Anyways, yeah, *still hopes for a prank leading to his announcement for brawl*.

Wonder who will win the 100-meter dash?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Because companies never put up jokes on their websites, which is why I'm playing as a whisp on warcraft, eating a burger from the Blizzard resteraunt.

Not saying it can't be true, just saying your reasoning is flawed.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Does either company have anything to gain from pranking its fans? This joke is too ******** to be done on such a large scale. Just my .02.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
Well, as of right now, this game is pretty much real, due to the attention that it has been getting and the fact that the highest officials of Sega and Nintendo (including Shigeru Miyamoto) have said it themselves. No april fool's joke has ever had this much attention, which even the non-game media have been alarmed by it. Also, it would be pretty stupid if Sega and Nintendo bought the rights to use the Olympics logo for a frickin' joke, which they would be put into major trouble if so.

Oh, and hi, I'm Shadic. Funny how I joined back in 2003, yet I completely forgot I did. Weird, huh?

valtiel

Smash Journeyman
This still seems sorta fishy. I still don't believe its true. Watch it comes out I'll be laughing my *** off!

Top Bottom