• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, I hope that Geno makes it in the next smash bros along with shantae and Rayman as part of my top 3 picks. Rayman and Geno returned after so long with Shantae being the underdog as Wayforward's mascot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel like there is no right answer here. I personally think if they make a sequel to Mario RPG, Mallow and Geno are back in the same form they were last time. I know some people say Geno's spirit may come back and inhabit something different, but I feel like if they bring him back, they bring him back as the blue doll. I have a thought that I don't want to post because I don't want to spoil anything, but I think the stage is set for a return of the boy in blue. I also feel if they feel strong enough to make a sequel to Mario RPG, I feel his chances are boosted for Smash. Obviously Nintendo/Sakurai/Square would see the importance he still holds for fans. But I also feel Mallow's chances are boosted too. He's getting a lot of love. Maybe I'm missing something, but there just aren't the same amount of new IP's as we had in earlier games and I feel a lot of legacy characters would still get pulled in (Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Geno/Mallow). My gut says they weren't just making this game for the love of making games. This was a test to see if expanding the Mario RPG series is viable and profitable, which my gut tells me it is. If Japan sold over 300,000 in three days of a game that was remade after 27 years, then imagine what a new Mario RPG game would do.
Well, I still have my doubts. What I am wondering is this...

What if the Star Road doesn't return? I mean, the Star Road was the reason Geno possessed a doll and went off into the woods before joining Mario and crew to find the Star Pieces. I honestly am not seeing how he could return unless something happens to the Star Road again. I am aware that there are other ways to include Geno, but I still have my doubts.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Well, I still have my doubts. What I am wondering is this...

What if the Star Road doesn't return? I mean, the Star Road was the reason Geno possessed a doll and went off into the woods before joining Mario and crew to find the Star Pieces. I honestly am not seeing how he could return unless something happens to the Star Road again. I am aware that there are other ways to include Geno, but I still have my doubts.
His bosses could send him down to deal with any old damn thing, honestly.

Maybe the situation in Mushroom Kingdom declined and there aren't enough pure, good-hearted people to power the Star Road with their love or kindness.

Maybe people stopped believing in wishes which would endanger his kind.

Maybe someone else stole or broke the Star Rod and Geno has to repair it or get it back.

Or just have him come back simply because he wanted to return. Nintendo can come up with any old excuse.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
His bosses could send him down to deal with any old damn thing, honestly.

Maybe the situation in Mushroom Kingdom declined and there aren't enough pure, good-hearted people to power the Star Road with their love or kindness.

Maybe people stopped believing in wishes which would endanger his kind.

Maybe someone else stole or broke the Star Rod and Geno has to repair it or get it back.

Or just have him come back simply because he wanted to return. Nintendo can come up with any old excuse.
I still have my doubts, but you are not wrong there.

I would personally like to see Geno's boss, the higher authority, be revealed in a potential future Super Mario RPG game, by the way.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I still have my doubts, but you are not wrong there.

I would personally like to see Geno's boss, the higher authority, be revealed in a potential future Super Mario RPG game, by the way.
Always loved the theory of :ultrosalina:being the higher authority myself. The storybook segments of the first Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite storylines in the Mario series outside of the RPGs, and tying the magic of Galaxy lore in with the Mario RPGs always seemed like a match made in heaven.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Noipoi

Howdy!
Always loved the theory of :ultrosalina:being the higher authority myself. The storybook segments of the first Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite storylines in the Mario series outside of the RPGs, and tying the magic of Galaxy lore in with the Mario RPGs always seemed like a match made in heaven.

This is a great idea

So you know they won't do it :nifty:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't think it's a 100% guarantee or anything, but if they do decide to make a Super Mario RPG 2, I think :ultrosalina: has a decent chance of making some kind of appearance. Her appearance in the 2nd Mario + Rabbids game shows that they are willing to add her to the more experimental story games. And the Luma cameo in the Mario movie heavily implies she's going to appear in some form in a sequel, showing they do see her as heavily marketable and a major character for the series as a whole.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat the remake! It took me a little under 15 hours, and while I wasn't aiming for 100% completion (since that would require 100 Super Jumps in a row when I can barely get 30, and getting 100 coins in one run of Midas River for one measly scrapbook entry), I did get almost all of the Monster List entries on my own. (the only exceptions were the Geno Clone that Belome summons and the Jinx Clone and giant Bob-Omb that Magikoopa summons, so I only had to pay 9 Frog Coins to fill it in)

Also, I managed to get the timed Geno Whirl hit on Exor to finish him off, which I was proud of. (it likely helped that I rarely used that attack, so the timing was on-screen)

I beat Jinx's third fight and Culex (giving Peach the Lazy Shell and an accessory that made her immune to status effects was a huge help), so in terms of enemies, I think I just have to beat the post-game bosses. I beat the first post-game boss before taking a break; their defense was insanely high, and the fight lasted so long that the boss in question ran out of FP, but Bowser's Poison Gas attack was incredibly useful.

TBone06

Smash Ace

Yeah, this makes so much sense. I mean Geno's spirit even kind of looked the same shape and colour as a Luma. I feel like there are so many ideas you could carve out using Rosalina. I mean Nintendo listened to the fans and made the remake. Maybe they are listening to other things too. Probably not, but this is right there in front of them.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Just completed 100 Super Jumps today. So I think I know what to do now in terms of my 3 files.

One file will be for my main playthrough, as well as any official replays I do in the future.

Another one will take place in Monstro Town, right before I get the Super Suit, so that I don't have to torture myself in trying to get it again.

And the last file will have the team be completely leveled up, with their best equipment, right before I fight Culex 3D.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just beat the post-game superboss, 3D Culex. All in all, the post-game bosses took me about two and a half hours to beat, with said superboss taking up about an hour. I'll spoiler tag a reason why that fight took so long, in case anyone wants to avoid my mistake:

If Culex dies and one or more Crystals are still active, the Crystal(s) will sacrifice itself/themselves in order to fully revive Culex, bringing him back to 9999 HP. This meant that I had to do the same fight twice. (I killed the Water and Wind Crystals, but I noticed that the Crystals buffed Culex when they died, and the Earth Crystal was out of FP while the Fire Crystal was a minor annoyance, so I left them alone)

By the end of the fight, I was mostly focusing on dealing damage with Mario, Bowser, and Geno, only having Peach out when it was absolutely necessary to do so - Peach had the Lazy Shell, but Culex used an attack once every four turns that could be blocked but dealt 9999 damage if it hit, and I was out of Pick Me Ups so Peach was my only way to revive people

It was an interesting way to handle the post-game rematches - the post-game bosses were more like puzzles than anything, with the exceptions of Jinx and Johnny; even then, Johnny's fight was more about inventory management, as I realized after my second attempt that giving Mario both versions of Lazy Shell would help him last long enough to beat Johnny despite having no healing powers and not being able to use items..

I completed the Monster Encyclopedia, so much like with Dragon Quest XI, that's good enough for me as far as completion goes. (frustratingly, my record for Super Jumps is 29 - I'm not going to aim for 100 Super Jumps, or 100% completing the Scrapbook, since doing that would require a perfect run of Midas River and you don't get anything for finishing the Scrapbook as far as I know)

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So I am close to the end of the game, about to enter Bowser's Keep, and I have to say this remake has let me once again experience joy.

We need to push for a sequel.
Based on how people are enjoying the game, I can expect a sequel on the Switch's sequel.

The only things are....what new stuff are added, who is gonna be playable, and how long the story is gonna be. I'm hoping for 30-35 hours on the next one. And some more level ups (like 50 max would be nice)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Based on how people are enjoying the game, I can expect a sequel on the Switch's sequel.

The only things are....what new stuff are added, who is gonna be playable, and how long the story is gonna be. I'm hoping for 30-35 hours on the next one. And some more level ups (like 50 max would be nice)
I think that…
SPOILERS

I still think Mallow and Geno will both be back. I mean it seems that Nintendo has a renewed interest in them, for example making sure they’re on the cover of the game now and all of the effort they put into the remake. What would I like to see in the sequel?

-A longer game
-Bump up the difficulty
-Bring Mallow and Geno back(I know Mallow is a prince now, but it worked for Sabin in FF VI, he can still fight. And they could come up with a way for Geno to return in a snap.
-More members of your team(Luigi is a must and I like the idea of maybe having Jinx on your team) I would just go ham and have a 14 character team, like FF VI. I’m down for that.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I would just go ham and have a 14 character team, like FF VI. I’m down for that.
Now how would that work? I never played VI, so I'm unfamiliar with the earlier FF games save for 7 and onwards. I take it members come and go throughout the game before they join together at the end?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Now how would that work? I never played VI, so I'm unfamiliar with the earlier FF games save for 7 and onwards. I take it members come and go throughout the game before they join together at the end?
Yeah more or less. You can meet whomever you want and swap at any time. Also….

SPOILERS

Just got to Rose Town. So many emotions right now when I walked into the Inn. It was gorgeous/glorious. Such a beautiful seen, they did such a wonderful job, thank you Nintendo/Square/Arte Piazza! ❤ After watching that….🥹

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I think that…
SPOILERS

I still think Mallow and Geno will both be back. I mean it seems that Nintendo has a renewed interest in them, for example making sure they’re on the cover of the game now and all of the effort they put into the remake. What would I like to see in the sequel?

-A longer game
-Bump up the difficulty
-Bring Mallow and Geno back(I know Mallow is a prince now, but it worked for Sabin in FF VI, he can still fight. And they could come up with a way for Geno to return in a snap.
-More members of your team(Luigi is a must and I like the idea of maybe having Jinx on your team) I would just go ham and have a 14 character team, like FF VI. I’m down for that.
Referenced FF6 twice in one post... YUP sign me up. There are so many characters they could make playable and that's not including new original characters as well. I think a 25-30 main story with 15-20 hours of extras would be perfect. Have a hard mode from the get go. Maybe add some DLC, but I don't think that's completely necessary.

I think Geno and Mallow HAVE to return. It can't be one without the other. They really made a point of putting Geno and Mallow out there through tweets, the cover art, in the trailer. I won't spoil anything but they do it in a creative way too towards the end. I have Mario RPG fever!!!

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
In regards to adding a hard mode, Nintendo probably isn't going to do it themselves, so maybe modders could make it so every enemy is a special enemy.

Their tripled stats would make landing perfect guards and the new AoE attacks way more important, and the doubled xp would help keep the party from falling behind.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So I just beat the
post-game boss run,
and oh my stars we need a sequel so badly

I so desperately want a sequel

Please, Square. Hear our call. Make a sequel to this wonderful game that is just as wonderful, and just as heartwarming, with a longer story, hard mode, and more cutscenes.

Do this, and we millennials will sing your praises for the rest of our days

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
So I just beat the post-game boss run, and oh my stars we need a sequel so badly

I so desperately want a sequel

Please, Square. Hear our call. Make a sequel to this wonderful game that is just as wonderful, and just as heartwarming, with a longer story, hard mode, and more cutscenes.

Do this, and we millennials will sing your praises for the rest of our days
I’m only up to Yo’ster Isle, and it just FEELS like there’s something coming after this game.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
I just finished the main story, and with the original game's ending, I used to get choked up, thinking that Geno and Mallow would never be heard from again, but now with how well the remake seems to be doing, as well as how much Square and Nintendo's relationship has improved, they feel more like tears of joy at the possibility that they could actually have a chance at future appearances now.

TBone06

Smash Ace
So I did something very silly because I was bored and curious about the impressions Mario RPG was making on Twitter. So I looked at the Nintendo of America page and compiled a list of all of their tweets with at least 5,000 likes for the month of November.

Now I don't expect this to mean anything outside of people are liking the particular content I'll have listed in a spoiler box below. But TLDR... in the month of November, there were 34 tweets by NoA (I'm not counting their retweet's of other tweets). Of those 34, 15 of them had to do with Mario RPG. Going a step further, of the 12 tweets that hit 10,000, Mario RPG had four of them. Most of the other ones were either Mario Kart, Mario Wonder, or Zelda. At the very least, RPG is relevant and the general public is clearly interacting with those tweets. I think Nintendo has to see this. On top of what looks to be positive sales data so far, I think the overall impression is very strong, which bodes well for future content.

If nothing else, it was fun to compare what fans are liking on Twitter recently and see where RPG stacks up against other games at the moment. Again, this was looked at out of pure speculation and for fun.

November 10th - Mario Kart (43k likes)
November 1st - Mario Kart (30k)
November 14th - Game of the Year (Wonder) (27k)
November 2nd - Mario RPG (Geno) (15k)
November 3rd - Mario Kart (14k)
November 21st - Jet Force Gemini (14k)
November 9th - Mario Kart (13k)
November 13th - Indie World (13k)
November 17th - Mario RPG (13k)
November 9th - Mario RPG (10k)
November 12th - Mario RPG (Peach) (10k)
November 14th - Shantae (10k)
November 24th - Ganondorf Statue (9.6k)
November 6th - Mario RPG (9.5k)
November 10th - Mario RPG (Bowser) (9.5k)
November 6th - Smash/Switch Bundle (9.4k)
November 3rd -Warioware (9k)
November 27th - Switch Icons (8.7k)
November 16th - Mario RPG (Geno) (8.6k)
November 22nd - Mario RPG (Mario) (8k)
November 14th - Mario Wonder (7.6k)
November 14th - Mario RPG (Mallow) (7.6k)
November 17th - Amiibo (7.5k)
November 13th - Mario RPG (7.4k)
November 15th - Splatoon (7.4k)
November 28th - Mario RPG (poster) (7.3k)
November 7th - Mario Kart (6.9k)
November 30th - Game of the Year (Zelda) (6.4k)
November 17th - Mario RPG (Switch Icons) (6.1k)
November 6th - Mario Wonder (5.8k)
November 3rd - Zelda Amiibo (5.3k)
November 25th - Mario RPG (Mallow) (5.2k)
November 29th - Mario RPG (Geno) (5.2k)
November 11th - Mario RPG (5.1k)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
So I did something very silly because I was bored and curious about the impressions Mario RPG was making on Twitter. So I looked at the Nintendo of America page and compiled a list of all of their tweets with at least 5,000 likes for the month of November.

Now I don't expect this to mean anything outside of people are liking the particular content I'll have listed in a spoiler box below. But TLDR... in the month of November, there were 34 tweets by NoA (I'm not counting their retweet's of other tweets). Of those 34, 15 of them had to do with Mario RPG. Going a step further, of the 12 tweets that hit 10,000, Mario RPG had four of them. Most of the other ones were either Mario Kart, Mario Wonder, or Zelda. At the very least, RPG is relevant and the general public is clearly interacting with those tweets. I think Nintendo has to see this. On top of what looks to be positive sales data so far, I think the overall impression is very strong, which bodes well for future content.

If nothing else, it was fun to compare what fans are liking on Twitter recently and see where RPG stacks up against other games at the moment. Again, this was looked at out of pure speculation and for fun.

November 10th - Mario Kart (43k likes)
November 1st - Mario Kart (30k)
November 14th - Game of the Year (Wonder) (27k)
November 2nd - Mario RPG (Geno) (15k)
November 3rd - Mario Kart (14k)
November 21st - Jet Force Gemini (14k)
November 9th - Mario Kart (13k)
November 13th - Indie World (13k)
November 17th - Mario RPG (13k)
November 9th - Mario RPG (10k)
November 12th - Mario RPG (Peach) (10k)
November 14th - Shantae (10k)
November 24th - Ganondorf Statue (9.6k)
November 6th - Mario RPG (9.5k)
November 10th - Mario RPG (Bowser) (9.5k)
November 6th - Smash/Switch Bundle (9.4k)
November 3rd -Warioware (9k)
November 27th - Switch Icons (8.7k)
November 16th - Mario RPG (Geno) (8.6k)
November 22nd - Mario RPG (Mario) (8k)
November 14th - Mario Wonder (7.6k)
November 14th - Mario RPG (Mallow) (7.6k)
November 17th - Amiibo (7.5k)
November 13th - Mario RPG (7.4k)
November 15th - Splatoon (7.4k)
November 28th - Mario RPG (poster) (7.3k)
November 7th - Mario Kart (6.9k)
November 30th - Game of the Year (Zelda) (6.4k)
November 17th - Mario RPG (Switch Icons) (6.1k)
November 6th - Mario Wonder (5.8k)
November 3rd - Zelda Amiibo (5.3k)
November 25th - Mario RPG (Mallow) (5.2k)
November 29th - Mario RPG (Geno) (5.2k)
November 11th - Mario RPG (5.1k)
Well done compiling that! I’m sure Nintendo will take into account all the feedback. Also I believe the final batch of element icons are out for Mario RPG today. I’m also going to print out the reversible box art cover from the og ‘96 Mario RPG. I have glossy paper at work that I could print that out on!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Since it is around Christmas time, I want to post this song I made some time ago about Smithy from Super Mario RPG, in the form of a Christmas song, of course.

You'd better watch out
You're all gonna die
Don't even show doubt
I'm telling you why
Smithy Claus is coming for you

He'll pound your head once
And won't think twice
He will not care
Who's naughty or nice

He'll get you while you're sleeping
You'll be squashed like a cake
Unless you do turn to his side
So just run for goodness sake

You'd better watch out
You're all gonna die
Don't even show doubt
I'm telling you why

What do you all think?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Mario Wiki just gave Geno his own dedicated gallery page.

Just when I thought we couldn't possibly eat anymore, fate keeps finding a way to cram this stuff down our throats.
Haha, something about the scarecrow status has always been lol to me. Especially when it happens to Mario. It’s so funny when he does Super Jump as the scarecrow.

If I may ask, what songs would you imagine Geno having if he gets into Smash? I’d like to think he could get at least 8-9 like Hero and Sephiroth. I can see all of the songs being the remixes from the RPG remake(so 2 versions of Beware the Forest Mushrooms, SNES version and remix) Then maybe one of the songs could be a medley that would even have “sad song piano” as part of it.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I am wondering; with all those who bought the Super Mario RPG remake, what did they have to say about Geno in particular?
If you're talking about people playing the game for the first time, from what I've seen, they think he's cool but are surprised by how little dialogue he has relative to the rest of the party.

It's kind of a gripe with the game that I agree with.

Mallow gets pretty much the whole opening of the game to himself, in addition to having an arc about finding his parents.

Then, we meet Geno, who spends most of his introduction explaining what's actually going on in the plot.

Very quickly after that Bowser and Peach, who've also appeared earlier in the game, join the party almost back-to-back and have quite a bit to say, especially Bowser.

All these things combined make it so Geno has very little dialogue "real estate" to work with.

In a hypothetical sequel, I hope Star Road is an actual place you can visit, so we can actually learn more about him and where he's from.

One thing they could pull from another Square-Enix RPG would be the inn banter from Octopath Traveler.
It was just short conversations between two or three characters, but it really helped flesh them out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Haha, something about the scarecrow status has always been lol to me. Especially when it happens to Mario. It’s so funny when he does Super Jump as the scarecrow.

If I may ask, what songs would you imagine Geno having if he gets into Smash? I’d like to think he could get at least 8-9 like Hero and Sephiroth. I can see all of the songs being the remixes from the RPG remake(so 2 versions of Beware the Forest Mushrooms, SNES version and remix) Then maybe one of the songs could be a medley that would even have “sad song piano” as part of it.
Fight Against Monsters - original and remake
Still The Road is Full of Dangers - original and remake
Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster - original and remake
Fight Against an Armed Boss - original and remake
Rose Town - original and remake
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms - original and remake
And My Name's Booster - original and remake
Slope - original and remake
Fight Against Smithy - original and remake

It depends on whether Square-Enix is stingy about music or not, but I figure that the same people were involved with the music for both the original and the remake, and Yoko Shimomura seemingly has no problem with her music being in Smash, so I figure we could get both versions of a given song. (though if it's limited to one version, they'd probably go with the remake's interpretations)

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
If you're talking about people playing the game for the first time, from what I've seen, they think he's cool but are surprised by how little dialogue he has relative to the rest of the party.

It's kind of a gripe with the game that I agree with.

Mallow gets pretty much the whole opening of the game to himself, in addition to having an arc about finding his parents.

Then, we meet Geno, who spends most of his introduction explaining what's actually going on in the plot.

Very quickly after that Bowser and Peach, who've also appeared earlier in the game, join the party almost back-to-back and have quite a bit to say, especially Bowser.

All these things combined make it so Geno has very little dialogue "real estate" to work with.

In a hypothetical sequel, I hope Star Road is an actual place you can visit, so we can actually learn more about him and where he's from.

One thing they could pull from another Square-Enix RPG would be the inn banter from Octopath Traveler.
It was just short conversations between two or three characters, but it really helped flesh them out.
That may explain what I've heard from friends on Twitter, about how he got the most lines out of everyone in the post-game content to remedy this.

By the by, just beat 3D Culex for the first time. Took a total of 29 turns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom