• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just made it to Marrymore. It turns out that if you succeed at the Booster curtain minigame, it automatically unlocks his complete entry in the enemy list, so that's good to know.

I also beat Boshi in a race - weirdly enough, the tutorial was more difficult than the actual race was. (It took me two tries to get the timing down for Boshi, whereas I never got the timing down for the tutorial despite trying at least ten times)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So I completed the game last night. Here's my thoughts on it and I completed it in less than 12 hours.

The game as a whole is just.....in awe. To be able to play a game that's remastered nearly 30 years later was truly shocking. When the game was first announced, my jaw dropped. HARD. No one was expecting this and having the masterpiece remade just made things better.

The pros of the game?

• Battle system was reworked
  • Combo system came in to give boosts during battles if you keep them going
  • Able to swap party members around during the battles gave me a FFX vibe
  • Updated graphics
  • More opportunities for frog coins during battles
  • Cutscenes for certain characters and bosses
  • Able to fight bosses again like Jonathan Jones
  • EVERYTHING from the original remained, even the dirty jokes and hidden references such as Peach's ???? [face_mischief]
  • If you know the game by heart, you'll breeze through it
  • Peach being the best tank once you get the ultimate defense equipped

The cons?

• WAYYYYY too short of an RPG. I finished the game in less than 12 hours
  • Lack of hard mode post-game. And I even beat the game on the highest difficulty (normal)
  • Battle system got ridiculously easier than the original
  • Enemies can be 1-hit KO during most fights. Some of the "upgraded" monsters take a few hits
  • Boss battles were easy once you have the action gauge at 100%. Most bosses were finished within 5 minutes or less due to this

Without a doubt, this game overtook the original in my Top 10 games of all time. Is it worth the 60 bucks based on what I shared? No

But is it worth the 60 bucks based on being a remaster and upgrades along with the nostalgia factor? Hell. yes.

And I'm gonna be playing this game again next year! Also....GENO FOR SMASH PLZ

I'm expecting Super Mario RPG 2 within 2-3 years from now. There's no way they're NOT gonna do a sequel. Hoping for other characters like Yoshi, Daisy, etc to get involved now.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So... do we count the Mario Rabbids games as part of the Mario RPG line up?

They're a different kind of RPG than the others but they still are RPG's.
Gonna go turbo-nerd on you for a minute.

Mario + Rabbids doesn't usually get brought up in discussions about the RPGs because it is a turn based tactical game, a genre inspired by tabletop wargames.

RPGs of all kinds originated from Dungeons and Dragons, which itself was also inspired by wargames.

Mario + Rabbids includes a few RPG elements here and there, but it's in a sister genre.

Alright, I'm done being pedantic. Have a Mallow.
media_F_LE0GoXwAAT3Tz.jpg

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
WAYYYYY too short of an RPG. I finished the game in less than 12 hours
I think that’s what I liked best about Super Mario RPG and other SNES-era RPG games. Quality over quantity.

I’m not 13 anymore. I’m 40 with more important things to do than homework and tests. I don’t have patience to play 100+ hours to finish one RPG game. I’d rather spend 100 hours on five different RPG games than to spend 100 hours on one RPG game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Just let me know there isnt anything that can be spoiled for me right?
(Ive watched a full playthrough of the og game)
Although checking out the official german version would be neat!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So I completed the game last night. Here's my thoughts on it and I completed it in less than 12 hours.

The game as a whole is just.....in awe. To be able to play a game that's remastered nearly 30 years later was truly shocking. When the game was first announced, my jaw dropped. HARD. No one was expecting this and having the masterpiece remade just made things better.

The pros of the game?

• Updated graphics
  • EVERYTHING from the original remained, even the dirty jokes and hidden references such as Peach's ???? [face_mischief]

The cons?

• Lack of hard mode post-game. And I even beat the game on the highest difficulty (normal)
  • Enemies can be 1-hit KO during most fights. Some of the "upgraded" monsters take a few hits
  • Boss battles were easy once you have the action gauge at 100%. Most bosses were finished within 5 minutes or less due to this

Without a doubt, this game overtook the original in my Top 10 games of all time. Is it worth the 60 bucks based on what I shared? No

But is it worth the 60 bucks based on being a remaster and upgrades along with the nostalgia factor? Hell. yes.

I'm expecting Super Mario RPG 2 within 2-3 years from now. There's no way they're NOT gonna do a sequel. Hoping for other characters like Yoshi, Daisy, etc to get involved now.
Short game isn’t bad after all this was the game that introduced many non Japanese to rpg games and they kept it basic and fun which can still be enjoyed by today standard to get familiar to rpg games
Now a sequel is something that should be long

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think that’s what I liked best about Super Mario RPG and other SNES-era RPG games. Quality over quantity.

I’m not 13 anymore. I’m 40 with more important things to do than homework and tests. I don’t have patience to play 100+ hours to finish one RPG game. I’d rather spend 100 hours on five different RPG games than to spend 100 hours on one RPG game.
Valid points. I would've been fine with something like 30-35 hours would do. 50+ would be too long for a Mario RPG

TBone06

Smash Ace
Yo T-bone! Good to see you, glad you’re enjoying the game!
It's been a hot minute!! Good to see you too and hope you're doing well. I took this week off and safe to say played Mario RPG to death. I miss this place.

seems like a time traveler so ancient to see SSB4 stamps in someone signature
Well I don't want to sound ancient as you'd say, but I'm 32 now, so I don't think you're that far off in gamer years! But I had to come support my boy in blue!

The pros of the game?

• Updated graphics

The cons?

I don't think anything you said is necessarily unfair. I think a hard mode would eliminate a lot of the cons people as a whole are saying. I think if they disabled triple attacks during boss fights, and make enemies as a whole tougher, the replayability would be huge. 20 hours might have been nice but like someone else said, quality over quantity, and this game is solid front to back. I'd prefer them save any new ideas for a sequel, and if they want to expand the game time for that, then I think that makes sense. I don't have the same time to spend playing games for 100's of hours, so I will replay a 10-15 hour game a lot more than a longer game. I loved the experience though. I need a sequel.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So with Mario RPG now out and a sequel could possibly be in the works, do you guys feel every character from the original Mario RPG will be playable in the sequel? My main concerns are Mallow and Bowser may or may not do so. It's also possible they could pull a Final Fantasy 8, and introduce them as guest characters to have control of temporarily. Here's my prediction

Mario
Yoshi
Toad
original female
Geno
new mage
Donkey Kong
A Koopaling (Ludwig or Larry came into mind)
Daisy

Guest:
Mallow
Peach
Bowser
Toadette

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So with Mario RPG now out and a sequel could possibly be in the works, do you guys feel every character from the original Mario RPG will be playable in the sequel? My main concerns are Mallow and Bowser may or may not do so. It's also possible they could pull a Final Fantasy 8, and introduce them as guest characters to have control of temporarily. Here's my prediction

Mario
Yoshi
Toad
original female
Geno
new mage
Donkey Kong
Daisy

Guest:
Mallow
Peach
Bowser
Toadette
I think the only two characters I feel pretty secure on coming back is Mario and Geno, though I think there is a good change the latter will be returning with a different possessed form. Not something that would make him unrecognizable as Geno, but something to differentiate him for the new adventure. Outside of those two, I feel like they are going to try and differentiate the roster, likely with a mix of series staples and new faces.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Damn, and that's without digital sales. It hasn't even been a full week yet.

I was thinking this game would have a minimum of 2.5 million lifetime sales but we might end up already passing that by the time the holidays are over.

(BTW, I assume this person is known to be reputable? I looked at their website and they did have a list of sources.)

TBone06

Smash Ace
Damn, and that's without digital sales. It hasn't even been a full week yet.

I was thinking this game would have a minimum of 2.5 million lifetime sales but we might end up already passing that by the time the holidays are over.

(BTW, I assume this person is known to be reputable? I looked at their website and they did have a list of sources.)
Here's another one: https://x.com/PaulGaleNetwork/status/1727719555609620634?s=20

I'm not entirely sure who this is, but PapaGenos follows him, so there has to be some credibility. He said there was over 1 million in sales already worldwide. So obviously there are a lot question marks. But I presume this would include digital. 1 million in three days seems quite high for me. You have to figure there will be tons of people who still haven't picked it up yet, people who will be getting it for Christmas, etc. My hope was that it would hit 5 million in total sales throughout it's lifespan making it the highest selling Mario RPG game. I felt if they could hit that, it would warrant a sequel.

If this tweet is accurate and they really sold 1 million worldwide in three days, I'd have to expect it SHOULD hit 5 million total. I know games typically are frontloaded when it comes to sales, but I think it's on it's way. I'd love to compare it to Mario Wonder's sales. I know it's done over 4 million in a month. Granted, it's not entirely apples to apples. I think Mario RPG could maybe do half of that in the same amount of time.

I'd also be curious to see the breakdown of physical versus digital sales. I've hear mixed things saying it's usually a 50/50 split, then 70/30. I'm not sure what the reality is anymore because I always just get the physical copy. Either way, it's very exciting to see!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Going to get the first star piece. My thoughts so far.....

Timing is different, but not too much. Things are easier to perfect time the block and attack. Overall, has the same charm like the SNES 27 years ago.

Missed the first frog coin..........
View attachment 380962
It's worth noting that, if you go back into the castle after beating Mack (er.. Claymorton) and leaving, there will be another Toad by the door where the hidden Frog Coin is, making it so it's no longer permanently missable.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Here's another one: https://x.com/PaulGaleNetwork/status/1727719555609620634?s=20

I'm not entirely sure who this is, but PapaGenos follows him, so there has to be some credibility. He said there was over 1 million in sales already worldwide. So obviously there are a lot question marks. But I presume this would include digital. 1 million in three days seems quite high for me. You have to figure there will be tons of people who still haven't picked it up yet, people who will be getting it for Christmas, etc. My hope was that it would hit 5 million in total sales throughout it's lifespan making it the highest selling Mario RPG game. I felt if they could hit that, it would warrant a sequel.

If this tweet is accurate and they really sold 1 million worldwide in three days, I'd have to expect it SHOULD hit 5 million total. I know games typically are frontloaded when it comes to sales, but I think it's on it's way. I'd love to compare it to Mario Wonder's sales. I know it's done over 4 million in a month. Granted, it's not entirely apples to apples. I think Mario RPG could maybe do half of that in the same amount of time.

I'd also be curious to see the breakdown of physical versus digital sales. I've hear mixed things saying it's usually a 50/50 split, then 70/30. I'm not sure what the reality is anymore because I always just get the physical copy. Either way, it's very exciting to see!
After the Mario movie it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of kids end up getting both games for Christmas.
It's really crazy just how big that movie was.

At my town's Halloween festival you'd usually see like 5 kids dressed as the brothers and maybe 1 Peach, but this year there were dozens of each of them.
I even saw a few characters that weren't in the movie like Waluigi and Rosalina.

On physical versus digital sales, I've heard it varies by country.
In the US I think it's anywhere from 50/50 to 30/70 physical to digital, depending on the game and platform.
Europe is about the same.
Japan has been more resistant towards going digital, but that's been changing in recent years, especially after COVID.

This game in particular is probably going to skew towards physical due to being a holiday release.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Mario
Yoshi
Toad
original female
Geno
new mage
Donkey Kong
Daisy

Guest:
Mallow
Peach
Bowser
Toadette
The more I think about this roster, the more I wanna modify it. But I'm thinking they should add more elements to their attacks like Water, Ground, Air, Light, and Dark

Mario
Yoshi
Toad
Jonathan Jones
Original female
Geno
New mage
Daisy
Jinx

Guest:
Mallow
Bowser
Peach
DK
Toadette
A Koopaling

TBone06

Smash Ace
I love grabbing all of these icon elements online, I can’t get enough of them. It’s so cool we still have another wave after this!
Oh yeah, it was the first thing I did once I heard about them. I didn't get them all but I made sure I got all of the ones I wanted. I got the Geno one as soon as it was available and made it my display. It's just a cool little extra that I didn't expect and I think it adds to the love letter the remake is. I also like that they added the bosses too. I need to grab Johnny. He was always my favourite boss, and kind of wanted to see him be playable.

After the Mario movie it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of kids end up getting both games for Christmas.
It's really crazy just how big that movie was.

At my town's Halloween festival you'd usually see like 5 kids dressed as the brothers and maybe 1 Peach, but this year there were dozens of each of them.
I even saw a few characters that weren't in the movie like Waluigi and Rosalina.

On physical versus digital sales, I've heard it varies by country.
In the US I think it's anywhere from 50/50 to 30/70 physical to digital, depending on the game and platform.
Europe is about the same.
Japan has been more resistant towards going digital, but that's been changing in recent years, especially after COVID.

This game in particular is probably going to skew towards physical due to being a holiday release.
I think you nailed it, the Mario movie really had a chokehold on everybody. I saw a bunch of kids dress up as Mario characters for Halloween as well. I think the timing is better now than it would have been if RPG was released prior to. I think they struck while the iron is hot.

That's good to know. I always go for the physical copy because that's what I grew up with and I find there is still a novelty to getting the physical game. I have to remember not everyone is like that. The younger demographic is so used to just buying things online. It definitely is more efficient when you don't have to leave your house.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, it was the first thing I did once I heard about them. I didn't get them all but I made sure I got all of the ones I wanted. I got the Geno one as soon as it was available and made it my display. It's just a cool little extra that I didn't expect and I think it adds to the love letter the remake is. I also like that they added the bosses too. I need to grab Johnny. He was always my favourite boss, and kind of wanted to see him be playable.
If you need a few extra points, there's little hidden object game for Zelda and Splatoon on the My Nintendo website. Took me about 8 minutes and I got 300 points out of it

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've made it to Nimbus Land - so far, the only Monster Guide entries that I've missed are the Geno clone made during the Belome rematch (Belome kept targeting Mario, and I didn't realize how low Belome's health was; I thought that damaging him would get him to the state where he'd start cloning people rather than spamming sleep-inducing moves) and the five entries related to Culex.

Has anyone found any hidden/optional scrapbook entries? So far, I've got the Yoshi race, taking a picture at Marrymore, staying in the suite at Marrymore, and finding Link and Samus.

(EDIT: beating Jinx for the third time gets you an entry as well. I assume the same goes for Culex, but I haven't beaten him yet - it likely doesn't help that I spend Mallow's first five turns using Thought Peek on Culex and the Crystals)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just finished the remake of Super Mario RPG. What a blast from the past! I loved it! It brought back memories I had when I played the original long ago, and the music in this remake was godly!

Though I must ask; anyone else feel nervous about Geno's chances of being a returning character if there were a sequel to not Smash Bros., but Super Mario RPG altogether? I can explain why I ask if you want.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I just finished the remake of Super Mario RPG. What a blast from the past! I loved it! It brought back memories I had when I played the original long ago, and the music in this remake was godly!

Though I must ask; anyone else feel nervous about Geno's chances of being a returning character if there were a sequel to not Smash Bros., but Super Mario RPG altogether? I can explain why I ask if you want.
I feel like there is no right answer here. I personally think if they make a sequel to Mario RPG, Mallow and Geno are back in the same form they were last time. I know some people say Geno's spirit may come back and inhabit something different, but I feel like if they bring him back, they bring him back as the blue doll. I have a thought that I don't want to post because I don't want to spoil anything, but I think the stage is set for a return of the boy in blue. I also feel if they feel strong enough to make a sequel to Mario RPG, I feel his chances are boosted for Smash. Obviously Nintendo/Sakurai/Square would see the importance he still holds for fans. But I also feel Mallow's chances are boosted too. He's getting a lot of love. Maybe I'm missing something, but there just aren't the same amount of new IP's as we had in earlier games and I feel a lot of legacy characters would still get pulled in (Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Geno/Mallow). My gut says they weren't just making this game for the love of making games. This was a test to see if expanding the Mario RPG series is viable and profitable, which my gut tells me it is. If Japan sold over 300,000 in three days of a game that was remade after 27 years, then imagine what a new Mario RPG game would do.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've made it to Nimbus Land - so far, the only Monster Guide entries that I've missed are the Geno clone made during the Belome rematch (Belome kept targeting Mario, and I didn't realize how low Belome's health was; I thought that damaging him would get him to the state where he'd start cloning people rather than spamming sleep-inducing moves) and the five entries related to Culex.

Has anyone found any hidden/optional scrapbook entries? So far, I've got the Yoshi race, taking a picture at Marrymore, staying in the suite at Marrymore, and finding Link and Samus.

(EDIT: beating Jinx for the third time gets you an entry as well. I assume the same goes for Culex, but I haven't beaten him yet - it likely doesn't help that I spend Mallow's first five turns using Thought Peek on Culex and the Crystals)
If you have plenty of Frog Coins, you can spend them on getting Monster List entries (3 coins per entry). The hidden NPC can be found in the second area of Booster Pass.

Top Bottom