• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I understand, I just like building on a subject. This is a discussion thread after all.
Yeah, I know. Sorry if I was lashing out at your or anything.

But seriously, I do feel it would be a new character that is the higher authority altogether. Maybe a big time god of the Mario universe?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know. Sorry if I was lashing out at your or anything.

But seriously, I do feel it would be a new character that is the higher authority altogether. Maybe a big time god of the Mario universe?
It's fine, this isn't the first time something like this has happened with my responses.

It would be very cool if it was a new character. The only thing I could see getting in the way of a new character being the higher authority is the strange legal circumstances around making a new character at all for this remake. Like, would they be owned by Square or Nintendo? One would assume Square given the rest of the cast, but Nintendo has seemingly been pretty consistent on them owning third party created Mario characters since SMRPG. I would not be surprised if this was a major discussion between Square and Nintendo during the development of this game, especially with the possibility of a new super boss (Though even that can possibly be avoided by using an already established character as the boss).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's fine, this isn't the first time something like this has happened with my responses.

It would be very cool if it was a new character. The only thing I could see getting in the way of a new character being the higher authority is the strange legal circumstances around making a new character at all for this remake. Like, would they be owned by Square or Nintendo? One would assume Square given the rest of the cast, but Nintendo has seemingly been pretty consistent on them owning third party created Mario characters since SMRPG. I would not be surprised if this was a major discussion between Square and Nintendo during the development of this game, especially with the possibility of a new super boss (Though even that can possibly be avoided by using an already established character as the boss).
That's interesting.

Now that you said that, I had a thought: The Super Mario RPG blog said something about a new something we will have to watch out for, maybe a boss. It is most likely a boss, but what if the new secret boss was "the Higher Authority"?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's interesting.

Now that you said that, I had a thought: The Super Mario RPG blog said something about a new something we will have to watch out for, maybe a boss. It is most likely a boss, but what if the new secret boss was "the Higher Authority"?
That is one of several options for sure. Personally, here is what I have personally spitballed to myself:
  • Culex rematch. Given the rest of the bosses have rematches, it would make some sense for Culex to get one. I could also see them giving him a 3D model for the rematch.
  • Higher Authority. The most mysterious figure in the original game and would be major fan service to those speculating about them for decades. Could easily be framed as a test of Geno and the party as a whole. They could either be a new character of an already established cosmic Mario character like the Star Spirits or Rosalina.
  • Rosalina. I know I just mentioned her as possibly being the higher authority, but I could also see her showing up completely separate from that aspect just because she is both popular and hypothetically strong enough to warren super boss status.
  • Someone completely new and purposefully mysterious. Probably the most far-fetched, but this idea is they pull a Kingdom Hearts and drop a complete mystery as the final challenge while also dropping hints something is brewing. Real Xemnas in KH1 and Lingering Will energy.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That is one of several options for sure. Personally, here is what I have personally spitballed to myself:
  • Culex rematch. Given the rest of the bosses have rematches, it would make some sense for Culex to get one. I could also see them giving him a 3D model for the rematch.
  • Higher Authority. The most mysterious figure in the original game and would be major fan service to those speculating about them for decades. Could easily be framed as a test of Geno and the party as a whole. They could either be a new character of an already established cosmic Mario character like the Star Spirits or Rosalina.
  • Rosalina. I know I just mentioned her as possibly being the higher authority, but I could also see her showing up completely separate from that aspect just because she is both popular and hypothetically strong enough to warren super boss status.
  • Someone completely new and purposefully mysterious. Probably the most far-fetched, but this idea is they pull a Kingdom Hearts and drop a complete mystery as the final challenge while also dropping hints something is brewing. Real Xemnas in KH1 and Lingering Will energy.
If it was the Higher Authority, I wonder what dialogue he would have or how he'd interact with Geno? That said, if it is Rosalina, I wonder how she would interact with Geno, whether or not she is the Higher Authority?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If it was the Higher Authority, I wonder what dialogue he would have or how he'd interact with Geno? That said, if it is Rosalina, I wonder how she would interact with Geno, whether or not she is the Higher Authority?
I feel like is she was the higher authority, Geno would acknowledge it upon seeing her. I could see him giving a lot of respect to her either way. I'd be very curious how they handle Rosalina seeing the rest of the Mario cast though, as while I doubt Nintnedo cares too much about the Mario timeline, the team working on the game would likely want to avoid the questions that would arise from the Mario cast seeing Rosalina in a SMRPG Remake. Then again, I can also see them choosing not to acknowledge if the cast or her knows each other at this point and just go strait to battle. If it were up to me on how to handle this problem, I would go with using the oft forgotten Cosmic Spirit from SMG2. It would keep Rosalina presence obvious while still obscuring her enough where some timeline ambiguity can be argued.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel like is she was the higher authority, Geno would acknowledge it upon seeing her. I could see him giving a lot of respect to her either way. I'd be very curious how they handle Rosalina seeing the rest of the Mario cast though, as while I doubt Nintnedo cares too much about the Mario timeline, the team working on the game would likely want to avoid the questions that would arise from the Mario cast seeing Rosalina in a SMRPG Remake. Then again, I can also see them choosing not to acknowledge if the cast or her knows each other at this point and just go strait to battle. If it were up to me on how to handle this problem, I would go with using the oft forgotten Cosmic Spirit from SMG2. It would keep Rosalina presence obvious while still obscuring her enough where some timeline ambiguity can be argued.
That is an interesting take, and a good one. If they were to use anyone's idea to handle that problem, I would like to see them use yours!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, kind of related, but speaking of Rosalina, there is something called Super Mario RPG: Armageddon. It is a fan hack of the original Mario RPG we all know and love, and it has Rosalina in it.

I know it is not the real, official thing, but just a heads up in case anyone is interested.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Mario and friends have finally bested Smithy! They go for a victory lap around the Mushroom Kingdom and refight several bosses along the way. But then Mario remembers the Shiniest Stone he picked up days ago. He'd forgotten about it. The party returns to Star Hill on a hunch, and use the Shiniest Stone on a brand new star-shaped door that's appeared. The stone fits, and the door opens!

Everyone cheers, running through while imagining the great treasures they're about to grab - Golden Hammers, Cricket Pies, Smash Invitations, but then-

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Take a look at this:
Haven't played Tetris 99 in a while, but I'll definitely drop in for this. I heard that they made event points easier to earn so it shouldn't be too difficult.

It's another NSO related promo for the game as well. This along with the Mario Wonder profile pics leaving on the 16th pretty heavily implies that we'll be getting some SMRPG pfps, in my crackpot opinion.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Take a look at this:
Haven't played Tetris 99 in a while, but I'll definitely drop in for this. I heard that they made event points easier to earn so it shouldn't be too difficult.

It's another NSO related promo for the game as well. This along with the Mario Wonder profile pics leaving on the 16th pretty heavily implies that we'll be getting some SMRPG pfps, in my crackpot opinion.
This year we get Geno and Mallow appearing in 2 games we are being fed well!

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
This video does a good job listing all the pre order bonuses:
TL;DW, The US is pretty much stuck with the cheap looking pins from GameStop.

The Nintendo store has by far the best one with an acrylic standee, Geno keyring and, if you pay a little extra, some much better looking pins, but you can only get it if you live in the UK.

Walmart Canada's looks alright with a keychain of the whole party.

Japan has some good stuff but I doubt anyone in this thread lives there.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Mario and friends have finally bested Smithy! They go for a victory lap around the Mushroom Kingdom and refight several bosses along the way. But then Mario remembers the Shiniest Stone he picked up days ago. He'd forgotten about it. The party returns to Star Hill on a hunch, and use the Shiniest Stone on a brand new star-shaped door that's appeared. The stone fits, and the door opens!

Everyone cheers, running through while imagining the great treasures they're about to grab - Golden Hammers, Cricket Pies, Smash Invitations, but then-

You know, I honestly think whatever the new stone unlocks, it being a door on Star Hill makes way too much sense. It's a cool location, but it doesn't have any bosses even though you get a Star Piece there, and the remake could use this opportunity to give it a very notable fight.

Griselda

Smash Lord
You know, I honestly think whatever the new stone unlocks, it being a door on Star Hill makes way too much sense. It's a cool location, but it doesn't have any bosses even though you get a Star Piece there, and the remake could use this opportunity to give it a very notable fight.
I'd also like to know what's up with all of the mammoth skeletons swimming through the ground as if it's water. Star Hill is pretty, but it's also very mysterious.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have to admit, there is a bit of a small trepidation in me now so close to release. Not about the game or its potential success; the remake's looking great and it'll do crazy numbers in Japan, let alone around the world. No, my small bit of anxiousness is about a fear that... this is all we'll get.

I know that's selfish, getting such a loving remake that will enshrine Mario RPG on one of the best selling (and in a position to become the very best) consoles of all time is more than I could have ever hoped for. This release will lead to loads of fan art, remixes, and probably even Switch game mods; it's going to be big. Yet I'm a little fearful that we'll never get an official followup, that this will be a one and done tribute to beloved title that Nintendo and Square Enix will then move on from. Its admittedly a silly thing to worry about in the grand scheme and given the game isn't even out yet, its obviously way to early to doompost about a lack of sequels/spin-offs but given just how incredible the 2023 version of Super Mario RPG looks, it would feel like waste if this wondrous little version of Mario's world isn't revisited again.

For now though I'm just going to focus my energy on taking in all the positives from this release and consider myself lucky that the likes of Mallow and Geno are getting such a well deserved spotlight after so long.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd also like to know what's up with all of the mammoth skeletons swimming through the ground as if it's water. Star Hill is pretty, but it's also very mysterious.
I doubt we will get any answer that will satisfy what the heck is with those things, but the new bestiary might give a little bit of something.

I have to admit, there is a bit of a small trepidation in me now so close to release. Not about the game or its potential success; the remake's looking great and it'll do crazy numbers in Japan, let alone around the world. No, my small bit of anxiousness is about a fear that... this is all we'll get.

I know that's selfish, getting such a loving remake that will enshrine Mario RPG on one of the best selling (and in a position to become the very best) consoles of all time is more than I could have ever hoped for. This release will lead to loads of fan art, remixes, and probably even Switch game mods; it's going to be big. Yet I'm a little fearful that we'll never get an official followup, that this will be a one and done tribute to beloved title that Nintendo and Square Enix will then move on from. Its admittedly a silly thing to worry about in the grand scheme and given the game isn't even out yet, its obviously way to early to doompost about a lack of sequels/spin-offs but given just how incredible the 2023 version of Super Mario RPG looks, it would feel like waste if this wondrous little version of Mario's world isn't revisited again.

For now though I'm just going to focus my energy on taking in all the positives from this release and consider myself lucky that the likes of Mallow and Geno are getting such a well deserved spotlight after so long.
I can kinda get your worry, but I think I'm just too happy about this game existing to be super concerned about what comes beyond. I hope there is a follow up, and I think it is certainly more likely with the remake refreshing the potential series, but I will always be happy that we get a remake at all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Only one week remains, everyone! Hope you are all ready for the remake of Super Mario RPG!

EDIT: Also, this.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Only one week remains, everyone! Hope you are all ready for the remake of Super Mario RPG!

EDIT: Also, this.

Didn't know about ArtePiazza before this, but the game seems to be in good hands judging from the reactions of people who've played their previous stuff.
Remakes are mainly what they do though, so we're probably not looking at the developer of a hypothetical sequel.
Wow, they went really hard on this remix.

How long until someone does this to it?
:troll:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Game has leaked, so be on the lookout for spoilers.

One interesting (production related) revelation is that the game was largely internally developed by Nintendo with support by ArtePiazza. Very intriguing news given that it puts the series in a better position to get actual sequels if/when this one does well.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here they come. This time, I am not going to see spoilers until I get the game.
Screenshot_20231104_165330_YouTube.jpg

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Game has leaked, so be on the lookout for spoilers.

One interesting (production related) revelation is that the game was largely internally developed by Nintendo with support by ArtePiazza. Very intriguing news given that it puts the series in a better position to get actual sequels if/when this one does well.
Here's a link for more details if anyone's interested:
Further details on the team behind Mario RPG’s remake were shared by Twitter user Mondo_Mega. Nintendo EPD’s Ayako Moriwaki reportedly directed the Switch version.

Moriwaki most recently acted as assistant director for Pikmin 4. Before that, she worked on Yoshi’s Crafted World (2019) and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (2013).

According to Mondo_Mega, other Nintendo EPD staff were involved in Mario RPG’s art direction, graphics and UI. Nintendo Pictures, the animation studio formed last year, reportedly provided character art and animation.

Several of Mario RPG’s original development team are also reportedly credited as having worked on the new version, including event designer Taro Kudo, co-director Yoshihiko Maekawa, and composer Yoko Shimomura.

It’s claimed that Square Enix’s involvement in Mario RPG for Switch was limited mainly to supervision.
Very cool that they're bringing some of the old devs and directors back. Also really great that Nintendo EPD is working on it too. Good to know they're more involved in this than we thought.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Between Mario Wonder, SMRPG remake, and the Paper Mario 2 remake, it's great to see Mario as a franchise embracing the creative side it had during the Gamecube and early Wii eras. The stale homogenization of the franchise that took place during the late Wii, and largely the Wii U and 3DS eras were some tough times, but with Odyssey being the first light of the tunnel, it's a massive relief that Odyssey wasn't just a one-off and that we're fully back to the creativity of the Gamecube/early Wii era Mario franchise.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's a link for more details if anyone's interested:

Very cool that they're bringing some of the old devs and directors back. Also really great that Nintendo EPD is working on it too. Good to know they're more involved in this than we thought.
Looking at the names mentioned reminded me how many SMRPG devs went on to be M&L devs. I hope there are more M&L devs involved here, as them being brought into Nintendo internal to work on SMRPG would make AlphaDream going under hurt a little bit less.

Top Bottom