• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
My only real worry with Mario RPG is that the perfect timing attacks hitting all enemies and the triple move might make a decently breezy game too easy. I'm hoping that enemies have been scaled to fit both and/or that there's an unlockable hard mode beyond just the post game boss rematches.

Incidentally with Mario role playing games being remade, fingers crossed that Super Paper Mario gets its shot on the next console. Its a solid game that deserves HD visuals and the gyro could easily replace the pointer elements.
They very well could have rebalanced the entire game to accommodate the Triple moves.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm pretty sure it's built over multiple battles and is available on bosses.
Honestly I can't remember well. My bad if so.

Still, pretty neat and interesting. :)

I like things lasting multiple battles as it gives more strategy/options~

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Just speaking of what I’ve been doing. Ever since the announcement, whether it be on Facebook/Instagram/YouTube, I’ve been lighting up the discussions/comments. I feel the more I do that, then the more consciousness the masses/Nintendo will see. The remake seems to be keeping a good flow going. Even in my Super Smash Bros. League, I’ve made all the other players aware of the cause. I feel like since this is my most beloved title that it’s my duty. I’m going about it in a way that’s not “trolly” or annoying. I’m just engaging/speculating about the game.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
GameStop is doing a pre-order bonus for Mario RPG. It's in store only though.

Six pins with the main cast and the game's logo.
I guess this is the first official SMRPG merchandise since the 90s
:geno:
F6VwdaOWYAAkNUx.jpeg

Edit: Also noticed the trademarking on the pins says "SQUARE ENIX Characters" so if anyone was hoping that Nintendo purchased the rights to SMRPG, uh, stop hoping.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Interesting thing to know about the remake this enemy had a confusing design that now we can see how it looks clearly
Another thing final fantasy 6 cameo was in the SMRPG the whole time but it was really hard to notice but now we can see it in booster tower
The table with the armor has a "B" on it in the remake, which I assume stands for Booster.

Looking at the original it's now obvious the the table used to have the initials "B.K." on it.

I guess Booster's last name starts with a K... except not, because they removed it.
Screenshot_20201021-181002_YouTube~2.jpg

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

View attachment 377981
Edit: Also noticed the trademarking on the pins says "SQUARE ENIX Characters" so if anyone was hoping that Nintendo purchased the rights to SMRPG, uh, stop hoping.

Vert excited about this to commemorate 27 years of waiting! Some Mario RPG merch goes for an arm and a leg on eBay. I still think there’s hope for Mallow and Geno amiibo down the line too!
More power to letting people remember/introduce Geno and Mallow to the world once again.

Oh yeah. It’s a beautiful thing.
Interesting thing to know about the remake this enemy had a confusing design that now we can see how it looks clearly
Another thing final fantasy 6 cameo was in the SMRPG the whole time but it was really hard to notice but now we can see it in booster tower
A real plus no doubt that objects that were once hard to make out are now readable, like Croco’s hands holding his loot.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Congrats to you all with this big revival. Arguably two of the best Mario RPG entries getting a remake is huge. I expected SMRPG to an extent with how active Square is on the Switch, but TTYD? Huge win right there. Actually thinking of getting both games.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

View attachment 377981
Welp, guess who's going to be camped out in front of Gamestop tomorrow morning and why

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, at least people have 2 months before SMRPG release. So, there is time for a pre-order if you want to. Just don't wait till the last minute if you are planning to get it.
1000010754.jpg

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Some more pre-order bonuses that I had to dig for a bit to find because these "pre-order guides" aren't doing their one job.

As usual, Japan gets probably the best of the bunch with a wallet featuring the main characters:
dunno-if-anyone-else-has-seen-this-but-this-wallet-is-a-v0-mlc6qcic3qhb1.png

There's a Walmart Canada exclusive keychain:
e82b9c9ea0a8bbf4e06bace4c4c753ee.png

Kinda neat. Not as good that one keychain for the OG game though:
tumblr_n63b0oswZP1s071aro3_1280.jpg

Credit to Geno Boost from 8 and a half years ago for that last image lol

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Some more pre-order bonuses that I had to dig for a bit to find because these "pre-order guides" aren't doing their one job.

As usual, Japan gets probably the best of the bunch with a wallet featuring the main characters:
View attachment 378140
There's a Walmart Canada exclusive keychain:
View attachment 378141
Kinda neat. Not as good that one keychain for the OG game though:
View attachment 378142
Credit to Geno Boost from 8 and a half years ago for that last image lol
So much stuff I'm going to be buying on Ebay. Ohh, my poor bank account. My poor wallet. I can hear my credit card screaming in the distance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
the bonuses look kinda bland to me. still would be nice to have but i might preordre at my local game store and i dont think they'd get these

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
the bonuses look kinda bland to me. still would be nice to have but i might preordre at my local game store and i dont think they'd get these
They do at GameStop. I just preordered mine.

I do wish we'd get keychains or plushies or something too, though.

🤔 We should make Nintendo put out a line of Super Mario RPG plushies. Ooh, and TTYD ones. Paper Mario ones in general really

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Yeah, these days the only good bonuses come from collector's editions, and scalpers absolutely eat that stuff up.
I remember trying to get the Metroid Dread one but having to settle for a crappy coffee cup:
FAEOyJ9VQAEl3fv.jpg

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure how well that idea will work given that the Paper Mario characters are deliberately flat and acknowledged as such in-universe.
It's just a plushie. They make plushies for any old thing as long as the franchise is popular, so I don't see why Paper Mario plushies would hurt.

Everyone would buy the hell out of Goombella and Vivian dolls and we both know this.

Dukefire

Smash Master

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Yeah, online discussion about Vivian is going to be a s***show as soon as we get any info about her.

Nintendo seems to be making some graphical changes to bring every version of the game in line with one another, but aside from some from a few kind of arbitrary changes, the localization appears to be the same so far.

They're going to be stepping into a minefield of angry Twitter users and clickbait Kotaku articles regardless of whether the script regarding Vivian is different or not.
Silver lining? Maybe the increased attention will help drive sales.:ohwell:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
As along they stick to the Original Japanese intention, then it should be fine.

It's X so i doubt it.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Hey. I had a whole more in-depth post planned, concerning my thoughts and responses to... well, everything that's gone down for Mario RPGs recently. But then I got sidetracked by other stuff, including my birthday, and I was honestly just caught off-guard by TTYD getting a remake. Even though I'd been keeping an eye on the rumors for months, I was expecting it to not even be revealed until late next year if it was real. Guess Nintendo proved me wrong.

So, considering I'm not sure when I'll get to writing that in-depth post, I figured I'd just pop in and see what's been going on here, at least.

People are talking about whether or not the script regarding Vivian will be updated or changed? Honestly... while I can understand why some people would be upset if it stayed the same as the original English script, I wouldn't be too bothered, myself. I mean...

You'd think I'd be the one to push for more representation, right? But, personally, I feel that whether Vivian is treated as trans or cis isn't actually very important for her overall story and character arc. It's about her self worth and standing up for herself, and whether Beldam misgenders her or not doesn't add or remove anything from that. Vivian was still being abused either way, and I think that was communicated well enough with the localisation. But then again... that's just my take on it.

I'm honestly just happy that Vivian is back at all. I'm happily surprised that we're getting such varied character designs in a modern Paper Mario - and, yes, it is just a remake, but that hasn't stopped design changes from happening in the past, like with the Mario and Luigi series. If this really was just an upscaled port of the Gamecube original like the rumors suggested, I'd be willing to believe that it could be brushed off, but this being a full remake with from-the-ground-up reworked visuals tells me that Nintendo put both thought and money into maintaining the original designs for the party members and NPCs.

Which, of course, obviously also includes the Goombas and Koopas and such. They likely could've just reused the character assets from Origami King and gotten away with it. But, to me... this remake means that they're counting on thick-eyebrowed Goombas and Toads with hair to sell. Sure, you could say that they're banking on old-school Paper Mario fans to make up a sizable portion of the sales, but they're still taking this risk with reverting the design changes they made for brand consistency, whether it was an in-house idea or just something they approved. This is an important turning point for the aesthetics of Mario spinoffs, I feel, and Nintendo has to have at least a decent amount of faith in this paying off.

Me? I'm buying two because I saw a Toad with a mustache, and I'm not afraid to admit that.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
We're less than 2 months out from SMRPG Remake and they still haven't directly said who's developing the game.

I was wrong a while back when I said Square always leaves remakes to other devs because Live A Live was co-developed by them and another studio, so I'm beginning to think this one is actually being made by Square and/or Nintendo themselves.

Also, Mallow's Psychopath has a new, less clever but more intuitive name:
psychopath-renamed-v0-pl6wv1ehm3rb1.jpg

Not sure if Nintendo has shared anything else about the games because Twitter is still screwed up and I don't want to make an account.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
So, this is probably going to seem incredibly obvious, but we've seen from screenshots that the Triple Move meter is always present, even before Geno joins the party. So if you keep battling and grinding prior to that, to the point where the gauge fills up completely, what happens then? Does it just stay maxed out, where nothing can be done about it, until at least the Bowyer fight?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, this is probably going to seem incredibly obvious, but we've seen from screenshots that the Triple Move meter is always present, even before Geno joins the party. So if you keep battling and grinding prior to that, to the point where the gauge fills up completely, what happens then? Does it just stay maxed out, where nothing can be done about it, until at least the Bowyer fight?
I'm assuming there are smaller two person super moves. Maybe Mario and Mallow have one.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Heh, I’m surprised we don’t have a count down to the big day.(Insert Count Down boss from Smithy Factory here)

Top Bottom