• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I couldn’t believe it myself, heck I had a dream last night that I saw a Super Mario RPG remake happen and I wasn’t even aware or thinking about any Super Mario RPG stuff!? 3 years, 3 years my goodness, I remember hoping for something like this 3 years ago back in the Geno Thread! And it’s so surreal!? It’s so beautiful! Mallow and Geno look just so amazing! After all this time, it’s happening! I cried tears of joy during the announcement, I can’t wait!

The stars really have aligned! Welcome home Geno and Mallow!🌟

QQS

Smash Lord
This is amazing. After 27 years, cant believe its real.

Is this the only active topic to discuss SMRPG/Geno stuff? First post in a while, came back to say hi since Smash Ultimate came out.

This is it my friends. The stars aligned.

Personally, I never stopped believin, and also I think chances for Smash (even in Ultimate) are still real. Maybe the game come with amiibo, maybe those amiibo scans offer you a certain puppet playable in Smash. Whether the chances for this Smash or future Smash are plausible or not, its okay. Today we won, anyway, we won after 27 years with the revival of this beloved game with epic characters. This is all we asked for.

SMRPG is a dream come true. Thanks to us, all.

Geno lives.

GENO AWAKENS!

IMG_6822.jpeg

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Anyone else notice how basic attacks like the shell can hit multiple enemies at a time?
You also seem to get stat boosts from getting "chains."
If I were to guess, both of these mechanics activate from perfectly timing your hits.

To top everything off, every time you attack an enemy a percentage bar in the corner of the screen fills. Could we be getting supers, or dare I say Chrono Trigger style team attacks?
Screenshot_20230621-204254~2-min.png

This is amazing. After 27 years, cant believe its real.

Is this the only active topic to discuss SMRPG/Geno stuff? First post in a while, came back to say hi since Smash Ultimate came out.

This is it my friends. The stars aligned.

Personally, I never stopped believin, and also I think chances for Smash (even in Ultimate) are still real. Maybe the game come with amiibo, maybe those amiibo scans offer you a certain puppet playable in Smash. Whether the chances for this Smash or future Smash are plausible or not, its okay. Today we won, anyway, we won after 27 years with the revival of this beloved game with epic characters. This is all we asked for.

SMRPG is a dream come true. Thanks to us, all.

Geno lives.

GENO AWAKENS!

View attachment 373680
Heeeyyy it's the coolest dude on Smashboards! Hope you're doing well!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I said this on another topic, but...

"Someone here said that Nintendo would have to be interested if they wanted to buy all things Super Mario RPG from Square Enix. Well, honestly, I can see that happening. Maybe this isn't 100 percent certain, but with Paper Mario games being the only Mario RPG game Nintendo has, and with the Mario and Luigi games dead due to AlphaDream being defunct, I can see Nintendo buying what comes with Super Mario RPG since they could use it as another Mario RPG series to have that they could make themselves.

...Or they could just continue to let Square Enix own the content and make sequels for Super Mario RPG if the remake is successful. Yeah, I know."

What do you all think of this?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I said this on another topic, but...

"Someone here said that Nintendo would have to be interested if they wanted to buy all things Super Mario RPG from Square Enix. Well, honestly, I can see that happening. Maybe this isn't 100 percent certain, but with Paper Mario games being the only Mario RPG game Nintendo has, and with the Mario and Luigi games dead due to AlphaDream being defunct, I can see Nintendo buying what comes with Super Mario RPG since they could use it as another Mario RPG series to have that they could make themselves.

...Or they could just continue to let Square Enix own the content and make sequels for Super Mario RPG if the remake is successful. Yeah, I know."

What do you all think of this?
It's more like we had zero Mario RPGs left before this remake, as Paper Mario isn't really an RPG series anymore and the devs themselves have said as much.

I could see Square making another one if this turns out to be a success, but Nintendo buying the rights to these characters and making it in-house seems pretty unlikely to me. They've always left the RPGs and a good chunk of other spinoffs to 2nd and 3rd party devs.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's more like we had zero Mario RPGs left before this remake, as Paper Mario isn't really an RPG series anymore and the devs themselves have said as much.

I could see Square making another one if this turns out to be a success, but Nintendo buying the rights to these characters and making it in-house seems pretty unlikely to me. They've always left the RPGs and a good chunk of other spinoffs to 2nd and 3rd party devs.
Yeah, I know. What I said was just a thought.

Anyway, here is an move for Geno's moveset I made up.

This is an Up-B move for Geno. It is called the Star Rise. With this move, Geno is surrounded by the seven Star Pieces that make up the Star Road, and with that, the Star Pieces lift Geno upward, or in an upward-diagonal direction if the player tilts the c-stick diagonally. This can also damage any enemies that are in the way.

I made this because there are not too many moves in Super Mario RPG that could work as Geno's Up-B recovery move. I thought this would be a nice idea to share.

So, what do you all think?

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know. What I said was just a thought.

Anyway, here is an move for Geno's moveset I made up.

This is an Up-B move for Geno. It is called the Star Rise. With this move, Geno is surrounded by the seven Star Pieces that make up the Star Road, and with that, the Star Pieces lift Geno upward, or in an upward-diagonal direction if the player tilts the c-stick diagonally. This can also damage any enemies that are in the way.

I made this because there are not too many moves in Super Mario RPG that could work as Geno's Up-B recovery move. I thought this would be a nice idea to share.

So, what do you all think?
Most movesets I've seen have Geno Boost be reworked into a recovery tool, but I personally thought Geno Blast would make much more sense, where the more he charges up, the more damaging lights he launches to propel himself, then have Boost as Down B, to actually serve a similar function to what it's supposed to do.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Most movesets I've seen have Geno Boost be reworked into a recovery tool, but I personally thought Geno Blast would make much more sense, where the more he charges up, the more damaging lights he launches to propel himself, then have Boost as Down B, to actually serve a similar function to what it's supposed to do.
I understand. I thought my idea was more unique, though. Long time, no see, by the way.

By the way, if Geno gets into the next Smash Bros. as a playable, would he appear like he does in the Super Mario RPG remake?

At the same time, speaking of the Super Mario RPG remake, I wonder if they will include what happens in that one point in Booster Tower, where Mario goes behind a curtain and when he comes out, he becomes his 8-Bit self?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
At the same time, speaking of the Super Mario RPG remake, I wonder if they will include what happens in that one point in Booster Tower, where Mario goes behind a curtain and when he comes out, he becomes his 8-Bit self?
I hope it's his sprite from OG SMRPG. Let it come full circle, lol

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Guys there is more screenshots in the Japanese website

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

Well we do have mario + rabbids which is great imo. I'm extremely excited for this remake and what it means for Mario rpgs going forward.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Well we do have mario + rabbids which is great imo. I'm extremely excited for this remake and what it means for Mario rpgs going forward.
That's more of a turn-based tactics game but it does have RPG elements so I see what you mean.
Ditto on being excited for what's next. I think the next step for the RPGs after this is finally a new game.

In case anyone missed it, the Japanese website has the individual renders for the characters:
FzMiyHoWAAMMCQL.jpeg
FzMiyHnWwAAVAm6.jpeg
FzMiyHoWcAI55DA.jpeg
FzMiyHlWYAEx0-d.jpeg

Mario is missing, though.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Geno and Mallow look completely natural, but Mario, Peach and Bowser are going to take some getting used to. I'm used to their modern proportions lol

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its funny, at first I was slightly put off seeing so many people react to the remake with the revelation that they never played the original, but now?

I'm excited.

Discussing the merits of the game has often felt limited to certain circles like this one, but the insane install base of the Switch and the ease at which people will get to play this version means an explosion of discussions, fan art, remixes, and just all sorts of the output by people finally getting the chance to experience SMRPG. I'm not necessarily saying that there will be an automatic explosion of popularity that will lead to sequels and Geno getting big support for Smash (though both would be very nice), but the knowledge that this game is going to have such a life to it is so cool to realize.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I haven't logged in since Smash was done, but I had to come back here and congratulate you guys! Just like with Advance Wars, this is again proof that if you never give up, you can bring back an old franchise / old game. Truly couldn't be happier for you guys, and I'm definitely hyped myself as someone who really enjoyed playing the original SMRPG.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
SEEING ALL THESE OLD NAMES AND FACES IS ABOUT TO MAKE ME CRY FOR THE 777TH TIME!

So I did a thing, which is that I did what I told everyone to do years ago and filled my promise: I recorded and uploaded my reaction to the reveal of the remake.

Idk how many of you all will care to see a fat autistic man get blasted back to when he was 5 and scream and cry like a baby at LITERALLY the thing I care about the most happening, but I hope it brings you joy. With so many other Geno Bros uploading their reactions, I had to make sure I didn't miss out...even if I am a bit late.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
it’s over there is no way Geno and Mallow will die again I hope square-Enix finally realizes that

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It seems the real obstacle is Nintendo's efforts to "standardize" Mario.

Plus, a lot of RPG characters remain exclusive to their games even beforehand.

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
So, I keep thinking about Culex, In terms of how he will look in the remake.
So, first of all, will he still be a 2D sprite or will he be 3D?
In the original Japanese version of the game, there was a joke that Culex was literally in 2D in universe, while the other character were 3D, so in the remake will he remain 2D?
If he did remain 2D, will it be the exact same sprite? Or will it be modernized in some way, like making it a fancier Sprite or something.
If they chose to make him 3D, will he still be in a different art style from the rest of the game? Will he be semi realistic?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Besides culex I think it would be cool if there are other guest extra super bosses like Sephiroth or Wart in SMRPG remake
I can see it now - deep within the depths of the Gate leading up to Smithy's Factory, you find Punchinello, who survived somehow and wants to make an even bigger name for himself by defeating Mario and company when they're at their strongest.

...then he gets slashed in half and this starts playing.

(though I'm pretty sure this is going to mostly be a straight port. There are a few additions, like that gauge on the bottom left and timed hits seeming to give other bonuses, but I'm guessing they won't add new bosses. I'd love to be wrong, though)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I can see it now - deep within the depths of the Gate leading up to Smithy's Factory, you find Punchinello, who survived somehow and wants to make an even bigger name for himself by defeating Mario and company when they're at their strongest.

...then he gets slashed in half and this starts playing.

(though I'm pretty sure this is going to mostly be a straight port. There are a few additions, like that gauge on the bottom left and timed hits seeming to give other bonuses, but I'm guessing they won't add new bosses. I'd love to be wrong, though)
Punchinello isn’t a smithy gang member though

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Is Fatmanonice still around? Wonder what he thinks about all of this? He must be proud.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't expecting a remake of my favorite Mario game of all time but here we are... it's been more than 48 hours and it's still surreal! I never reacted that much during an announcement in any direct.

And it's not just the realization that they're doing a remake of the game, it's the shock that it actually looks faithful by trying to mimic the original game in HD and even kept the characters design intact which is amazing since you won't expect most of the designs in a modern Mario game even if it's a remake whether it's the Toads, the ennemies like Chained Kongs, Valentina and surely even if it's more than 4 months away before release, they won't alter anything...

...Right?
Sorry for being like this, I'm just anxious about the fact they could still ruin it and sanitize some characters, hopefully what we saw in the direct was the final product.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
it’s over there is no way Geno and Mallow will die again I hope square-Enix finally realizes that
Seeing Pikmin 1+2 in there brings such a big smile to my face.
So many smaller franchises and spinoffs are coming back in a huge way thanks to the Switch being a magical-ass system.

Advance Wars, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Warioware, Mario RPGs, 2D and 3D Metroid, the list goes on.

Now how about a new F-Zero?
a90.jpeg

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
Seeing Pikmin 1+2 in there brings such a big smile to my face.
So many smaller franchises and spinoffs are coming back in a huge way thanks to the Switch being a magical-ass system.

Advance Wars, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Warioware, Mario RPGs, 2D and 3D Metroid, the list goes on.

Now how about a new F-Zero?
View attachment 373793
Why not just make Captain Falcon a character in every Mario spinoff, like if Nintendo doesn’t know what to do with a future F Zero game, than why not put F Zero characters into other games.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
So the dream has now come true and the game has been realized....

What wants/hopes that you want come with the remake?

Personally, i would want 3 things:

1) Similar to Sparks of Hope, I don't want to have Mario stuck as my mandatory party member and would be able to customize fully. I want to go for a Geno-Mallow-Bowser myself. I like having heavy hitters on my team and healer is just the icing on the cake.

2) Geno and Mallow Amiibo. Lord, I hope this happens. Would be a missed opportunity if it didn't.

3) This

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So the dream has now come true and the game has been realized....

What wants/hopes that you want come with the remake?

Personally, i would want 3 things:

1) Similar to Sparks of Hope, I don't want to have Mario stuck as my mandatory party member and would be able to customize fully. I want to go for a Geno-Mallow-Bowser myself. I like having heavy hitters on my team and healer is just the icing on the cake.

2) Geno and Mallow Amiibo. Lord, I hope this happens. Would be a missed opportunity if it didn't.

3) This

1. post game stuff after beating the main story
2. guest boss battles besides Culex
3. SMRPG merch such as figurine and amiibo

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
man i can imagine next smash announcement first newcomer to be Geno shown the same smash way as smash 64 intro or his first entrance in SMRPG bringing the whole concept of bringing toys to life to smash again

That would be cool, and fitting, but I imagine that the first new character they reveal would probably be Waluigi.
Kind of off topic though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am going to talk about Geno for Smash Bros. here, and say something I said on another thread (which was in response to a post about Sakurai wanting Geno in Smash Bros.) and I quote:

"Well, I can see that if Sakurai wanted Geno, he could have added him by now, but, there were other Square, no no...Square Enix characters to work on. I bet given how easy it is to make humanoid characters, and how many of them were in DLC of Smash Bros. Ultimate, I think that is one of the reasons why Geno probably was not DLC, other than things like Nintendo, who was picking the DLC at the time, not choosing him.

Another theory of mine, which is about why Geno was not even in the base game of Ultimate where he could have been more likely for that than DLC, is that if I heard correctly, Hero from Dragon Quest was planned for the base game of Smash Bros. Ultimate, but was moved to DLC. If this is true at all, I can see that they were focusing on other Square Enix characters at the time and not Geno, and given how many newcomers were in the base game, which were not much, I think Sakurai just did not have time to make Geno playable. "

What do you all think of all this? I am curious to know.

Top Bottom