• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
me if SMRPG remake leak is fake

how many years we have waited for Geno official return
we are getting close to 30 years!
and both Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series are dead/lost its soul

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Yeah i'm hoping for that remake too. Still going for the original but it's about time Super Mario RPGs and the cast got the limelight once again.

Imagine a remake as good as this.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
1687304328289.png

Man, things are certainly getting weird here. It feels WAY too coincidental that all 3 of these Tweets went up yesterday. And I know we've all had talks about keeping expectations low, but...come on! If there isn't SOMETHING for this game coming up tomorrow, it'll just further cement the Geno/Seven Stars community as one of the ultimate punching bags in all of online video game discussion.

People wouldn't be that overly cruel, would they? Like, I know it's the internet, and those kinds of people are everywhere, but that would be particularly evil.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
NAH BROS??????? IT MAY BE TIME?

I have no idea who this Twitter user is, but I'm assuming there's a very real possibility that they're trolling/throwing out false info. (the Mario RPG fanbase seems VERY easy to rile up, whether we're talking about Super Mario RPG or any Mario role-playing game, especially since Nintendo seems to more or less have abandoned Mario RPGs as a concept between closing down Alphadream and doing nothing with Paper Mario)

Stuff has been leaked from Directs before (off the top of my head, Banjo-Kazooie for Smash), but other stuff has been "leaked" quite a lot with no sign that it actually exists (for example, Halo: The Master Chief Collection for Switch), so I'm just going to assume this is fake. (would be great if it was real, though, even if it was just Super Mario RPG on the Switch Online service)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As someone who recalls the many ups and downs as a Geno supporter during the Fighter's Pass era, I'm definitely keeping to a healthy skepticism about a Mario RPG remake. If it doesn't happen, I'll still keep my fingers crossed for a reimaginging/sequel to happen some day. If it does happen...

...I'll be quite happy that so many new fans will get to experience the game.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Hello, King K. Rool supporter here. I remember hearing about the Super Mario RPG rumors back when Geno was being supported for a Fighters Pass spot. I was rooting for the Geno supporters, since I love seeing long-awaited characters getting added to Smash. To me, Geno is right up there with King K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo. I’m sorry he didn’t make it, but I’m glad we finally have closure on the rumors regarding the Super Mario RPG remake. I remember Fatmanonice discussing the remake quite a bit. Cheers, and here’s hoping Geno is featured more often in the future!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In the last month the Geno thread was active I said this:

I'm tempted to be a bit cynical and think that given what Ultimate was, that if Geno couldn't get in here that there's not much chance of him in the future, especially the further and further time moves away from Mario RPG and its fans/supporters move on.

But gaming in the last five years has been a funny thing. Streets of Rage has come back after 25 years of being forgotten by Sega, the Mana series has gradually stepped out of the shadows, and now even Metroid feels back in its rightful place as a heavily promoted series again. Basically, I think a lot of times series or characters that are so easy to give up on and stop thinking about have a way of coming back in the most unlikely ways. And given how Geno has been talked about so much in the last few years, I get the sense that his absence may not be as permanent as I once thought.

It’s a hell of nice feeling to look back on that statement after today.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

"I am in charge of the music for the remake version of "Super Mario RPG" announced at the Nintendo Direct today. I put all my heart into arranging all the songs, hoping that both the fans of the original and those playing for the first time can enjoy it! Stay tuned for more news ♡"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now who thinks Sakurai will have an excuse to not include Geno in the next Smash Bros.? Because I sure don't!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
booster.png

Catching up on the Direct (I only saw the first 15 minutes or so), I noticed a few cameos in Booster's toy box. (I can't remember if any of these were in the original, but while Samus's inclusion makes sense, I wasn't expecting to see Diskun or the car from Stunt Race FX in here)

EDIT:

Turns out that they were there, though it was harder to tell.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
It's even dropping the day before my birthday, too!

I swear, Mario fans are eating so damn good this year!

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452

I don't think I've ever popped off so hard on stream; both loud screaming and violent sobbing, none of which my mic could handle lol

We finally won.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just hope Nintendo will gain control of Geno after the remake. Then at least he can be a spin-off regular.

But still, let him be a main series character before being more than an Assist Trophy like Waluigi.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just hope Nintendo will gain control of Geno after the remake. Then at least he can be a spin-off regular.

But still, let him be a main series character before being more than an Assist Trophy like Waluigi.
They'd have to buy the rights to him from Square Enix and I'm still not entirely convinced that they care about him that much to do that lol.

It's been said five billion times by now but it's just still wild to me that SE managed to retain the rights to their SMRPG originals considering how many of their other games (Kingdom Hearts, FF7, Chrono Trigger, etc) have all these legal issues/complications with other companies). Even Rare had to give up their DK (also Star Fox/Dinosaur Planet) characters to Nintendo post the Microsoft buyout.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hello everyone, Geno supporter back in Smash Ultimate here popping in to say...how incredible this is. When the orchestration changed, I got goosebumps!

It has been a long time and here we are...let's enjoy this for as long as we can till November 17th. I am just happy new people, who have never played this gem, get a chance to play it.

Welcome home to our 2 boys!

Top Bottom