• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If I was requested to create a 6th game for the Switch in the Mario & Luigi series, I would have something involving Wario and Waluigi teaming up with the Mario Bros.
(As the third and fourth characters somehow, carrying each other piggyback style.)

Some possible titles
  • Mario & Luigi: Rivalry of Greed
  • Mario & Luigi: Duos in Crime
  • Mario & Luigi: Anti-Allies
And I would have the Giant Battles return because I love the idea of two huge beings towering over the landscape fighting.
(This time, it would be Wario who turns big to fight, last time was Bowser and Luigi back in Inside Story and Dream Team)

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so the Mario movie has me giddy with excitement, primarily because of all the references they're pulling all from throughout Mario history. It's got Mario Kart love, it's got Yoshi love, it's got a ton of Donkey Kong love, there was a leaked Luma McDonald's toy, which was REALLY surprising seeing as how this is more or less a retelling of Mario's origins...

One WMG person on TV Tropes, though, theorized that the RPGs would not be getting any references, whether it be for character cameos, or lore, or anything like that, attributing it to how these games have already been treated and how casual fans wouldn't recognize any of them. And all I have to say in response to that is, on top of this movie already bringing back Foreman Spike, Donkey Kong's poster showed SWANKY KONG in the background. Even if it's just a cameo, it's still Swanky Kong, who has not been physically seen since the 3rd Donkey Kong Country game. So, I'm convinced at this point, that literally anything is possible, and even if nothing DOES come up this time, I can't imagine we won't be getting some sequels.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Me, trying to escape from the ghosts of my past:

Awakened from my pale slumber because I just had the sudden memory flash through my head of this random dumb joke someone made in the old thread years back that went something like "Geno isn't getting into Smash, but that's because he's landed a starring role in the Mario movie".

..And I just think it'd be hilarious if he somehow actually got a cameo appearance, like just as a doll on someone's shelf or something. Not likely, considering the rights issues and present general opinion(?), but it'd be funny.

Thus far, I'm still not quite sold on Mario's voice, but everything else continues to surprise me. It kinda feels like someone asked "Okay, so which part of the Mario franchise do you want to put into the movie?" and Miyamoto just rolled out this floor-length list. While SMRPG references are probably out of the question, I wouldn't really be surprised to spot at the very least some sort of basic Paper Mario cameo or joke somewhere in the movie. ..I mean, besides Bowser's Castle flying around with spiky chains hanging off it.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There is something i wanted to discuss
for the people who played Pokemon Violet i think there is some inspiration to the Smithy gang in SMRPG
i am gonna put in spoiler since many still havent played the game yet
in Pokemon Violet there are iron forms Pokemons which looks robotics and some pokedex entry describe them as weapons and that sounded familiar to the Smithy gang in SMRPG and the similarities doesnt stop there in fact the shiny version of these Pokemons look exactly like the machine made version of the Smithy gang which are all grey in SMRPG and uncolored

this video displays all of them
what do you think?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Okay, so the Mario movie has me giddy with excitement, primarily because of all the references they're pulling all from throughout Mario history. It's got Mario Kart love, it's got Yoshi love, it's got a ton of Donkey Kong love, there was a leaked Luma McDonald's toy, which was REALLY surprising seeing as how this is more or less a retelling of Mario's origins...

One WMG person on TV Tropes, though, theorized that the RPGs would not be getting any references, whether it be for character cameos, or lore, or anything like that, attributing it to how these games have already been treated and how casual fans wouldn't recognize any of them. And all I have to say in response to that is, on top of this movie already bringing back Foreman Spike, Donkey Kong's poster showed SWANKY KONG in the background. Even if it's just a cameo, it's still Swanky Kong, who has not been physically seen since the 3rd Donkey Kong Country game. So, I'm convinced at this point, that literally anything is possible, and even if nothing DOES come up this time, I can't imagine we won't be getting some sequels.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Remember that most of RPGs features are owned by Square

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I still dont really get why everyone was so upset about geno not making it in?
I mean he had only one Major and one Cameo Appearence?
BWD On The Other hand had tons and people see him as a minore Character?
The Smash fanbase is just weird!

Griselda

Smash Lord
Happy (belated) New Year! Here's to hopefully a big year for the Mario series. And maybe we'll actually get another RPG of some sort. Or at least ports of SMRPG, TTYD, or SPM? Speaking of which, I don't recall if I ever dropped this here or not - but I doodled Mimi from SPM again a couple months back, and I think I got her design to translate out of the blocky, 2D style a little better than the last time. I guess making her look vaguely Beanish was the right way to go, after all? I suppose it's also about time for me to replay the Paper Mario series again, actually.
Griselda and Mimi colors.png

Well, I'd say it's more that Geno's fans were upset about him not getting in, and everyone else (who didn't hate him) was more just like 'oh, that would've been cool. Moving on...'

Bandanna Dee - I'm assuming that's who you're talking about - also would've been cool, and had some pretty good moveset potential. And he's definitely not a minor character. Alas, the number of appearances a character has - or even whether they have any 'relevance' in the modern world at all doesn't seem to mean much when it comes to actually being selected. ...After all, the Ice Climbers got in before Wario. And Duck Hunt before Tails/Waluigi/Impa/etc.

I don't think there's any point arguing which character deserved to be in more, though (especially when unfortunately neither made the cut). A better use of resources would be brainstorming a way for both to eventually make it in and/or perfecting moveset mods for them. Whichever comes first.
Edit: Also I just looked at your most wanted list, and I'm glad there's someone else who sees potential in Vaati. The Zelda series could use another rep.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Happy (belated) New Year! Here's to hopefully a big year for the Mario series. And maybe we'll actually get another RPG of some sort. Or at least ports of SMRPG, TTYD, or SPM? Speaking of which, I don't recall if I ever dropped this here or not - but I doodled Mimi from SPM again a couple months back, and I think I got her design to translate out of the blocky, 2D style a little better than the last time. I guess making her look vaguely Beanish was the right way to go, after all? I suppose it's also about time for me to replay the Paper Mario series again, actually.
View attachment 365961

Well, I'd say it's more that Geno's fans were upset about him not getting in, and everyone else (who didn't hate him) was more just like 'oh, that would've been cool. Moving on...'

Bandanna Dee - I'm assuming that's who you're talking about - also would've been cool, and had some pretty good moveset potential. And he's definitely not a minor character. Alas, the number of appearances a character has - or even whether they have any 'relevance' in the modern world at all doesn't seem to mean much when it comes to actually being selected. ...After all, the Ice Climbers got in before Wario. And Duck Hunt before Tails/Waluigi/Impa/etc.

I don't think there's any point arguing which character deserved to be in more, though (especially when unfortunately neither made the cut). A better use of resources would be brainstorming a way for both to eventually make it in and/or perfecting moveset mods for them. Whichever comes first.
Edit: Also I just looked at your most wanted list, and I'm glad there's someone else who sees potential in Vaati. The Zelda series could use another rep.
yeah Vaati could be really cool Especially if hes a amalgam of MC Vaati (Bodywise) and FS Vaati (Some Abilitys and final Smash)
I mean Vaati is the Wind Mage and we Have no Wind Characters also i would love for more 2d Rep!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Happy New Year everyone!

Fans of well liked character upset well liked character didn't get in? It's a pretty straight forward scenario.

Maybe more people just like Geno that much more than BWD. I don't know what to tell you.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Because SMRPG fans were starving for new content since more than 20 years and Geno getting in Smash was the only hope left as it requires breaking Square-Enix barrier which is something Sakurai is able to achieve

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Because SMRPG fans were starving for new content since more than 20 years and Geno getting in Smash was the only hope left as it requires breaking Square-Enix barrier which is something Sakurai is able to achieve
You know, the more I think about it... I'm not actually sure if Sakurai was actually able to put Geno in as a full character. I mean, yeah, sure, Sakurai has a lot of pull in the industry, and sure, like the case with Ridley maybe after the continued support this go around Geno might have a chance next time since this stuff does sometimes influence developers and they can also just change their minds like anyone else, but I think in regards to Ultimate and even Sm4sh, the Square/Nintendo barrier regarding Geno/SMRPG content was still in effect. At the end of the day, Sakurai and his team are still working for other people and under various restrictions.

Back when Cloud got in, didn't Sakurai say something like 'We weren't able to put Geno in as a fighter this time, but we were able to make a mii costume'? I know a lot of people would assume that could've been a time issue, like he considered the idea but ran out of time and/or resources. But I'm thinking maybe he was just told 'no' about the character getting that level of representation, and he either didn't care to fight on the subject or he just felt he did good enough securing the costume deal. Do we actually know for a fact that he didn't have to fight to get the costume in?

I mean, I personally don't agree with a lot of his decisions, but even I have to give him the benefit of a doubt sometimes, and it's clear that way more than just his personal choices or wants goes into how Smash games get developed and what the final product ends up being.

I think it we want any element to be included in Smash, or in general if we want SMRPG content to return to video games and media as a whole, we've got to make sure that way more than just Sakurai knows about our support and interest. He doesn't own all of these characters, and he's still got to ask someone for permission whenever he does things.

I dunno, maybe this is all slightly out of character for me? But I'm a lil' too tired to tell.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Also i mean Mallow seems almost completly disliked as even a partner but i think its wrong to only have Geno when you only have to give Geno Some Mallow Assits and yopu get the best from both Worlds!

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Also i mean Mallow seems almost completly disliked as even a partner but i think its wrong to only have Geno when you only have to give Geno Some Mallow Assits and yopu get the best from both Worlds!
That's not true at all. A lot of geno fans like mallow and would love to sew him appear with geno in smash. Maybe not as a double character but as a part of his taunts or victory screen.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
That's not true at all. A lot of geno fans like mallow and would love to sew him appear with geno in smash. Maybe not as a double character but as a part of his taunts or victory screen.
Okay but i still think mallow could be lending some of his Talent to geno (For Specials) But the Normals would be all geno!

Griselda

Smash Lord
Okay but i still think mallow could be lending some of his Talent to geno (For Specials) But the Normals would be all geno!
I just read one of those fanmade Smash character breakdowns earlier, and the final smash written up for Geno had Mallow as the cutscene trigger, like Mega Man's black hole bomb. Geno would call in Mallow, who'd send lightning around the general area, and anyone caught in it would then be affected by the final smash itself, which was just Geno Flash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still think Geno appearing in Mario Kart Tour would be a more realistic first step towards becoming at least a spin-off regular.

Maybe he could appear in that Chocobo racing game as a Switch exclusive character...

Griselda

Smash Lord
I know it's probably not quite everyone's first idea when it comes to Mario games to put Geno and Mallow into, but I'd honestly like to see them in Mario Party. Aside from it being a chance for them to casually interact with other Mario characters on foot and get involved in all of the crazy minigames (some of which could then be brought over from Mario RPG like the Booster Hill barrel thing and going down the waterfall), I think there would be something almost poetic about their return to the Mario series being them traveling around and collecting stars again.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I still think Geno appearing in Mario Kart Tour would be a more realistic first step towards becoming at least a spin-off regular.

Maybe he could appear in that Chocobo racing game as a Switch exclusive character...
Would be cool but word has it Chocobo Racing underperformed.

I don't see SE putting any thing new into that game.

Griselda

Smash Lord
It's gotten pretty quiet, around here.
...So here, have a sparkly doodle-y Mimi.
sparkly mimi.png

I always really liked the smooth rainbow gradient aesthetic SPM had, to be honest. At least with stuff like Tippi.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Gonna be interesting to see what the future of Mario RPG's will be. The battle elements in Paper Mario now feel like an artifact, so a move away from them would arguably make the game feel less clunky, even if would be effectively dropping that remaining role playing elements from the series. I figured Mario and & Rabbids would have a healthy future as the SRPG for the franchise, but with Sparks of Hope's disappointing sales (including a struggling performance in Japan) and Ubisoft's shaky status, that subseries might be on hold for a bit after the DLC releases.

Given how active Square Enix has been on Switch, it really is a disappointment that we haven't seen a collaboration between them and Nintendo on a game again. If it wasn't an outright sequel to Mario RPG, there's enough great talent (and some great developments on HD-2D) that could really make something special with the right idea.

Griselda

Smash Lord
So they're just gonna put literally every other Mario RPG game on Switch Online before SMRPG, right? That's how this is looking. But at least once Gamecube games show up we'll finally get that TTYD port.

Also I just realized that by putting the original version of Superstar Saga on Switch Online, they've (accidentally?) put Geno on the Switch, via his minigame cameo. Unless that was taken out again somehow.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it's back, it's a minor cameo and easier to license money-wise. SMRPG has him as a main character, so... plus SE is far more involved in that game overall than just lending a couple characters. It's going to cost more to license. I hope it gets on the NSO soon, though.

Griselda

Smash Lord
For me, the ideal rerelease of SMRPG wouldn't be on Switch Online, it'd be as a standalone Switch release, with the soundtrack accessible through the menu similar to the 3D All-Stars collection. That, and a concept art gallery or something, maybe with the promotional material like that commercial with the singing piranha plants. It's probably super unlikely, but for me the ideal gallery would also have full animated turnarounds of the original 3D models used to make the game's pre-rendered graphics, but who knows if those even exist anymore after all this time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I started replaying Mario & Luigi. Yep, the button per character controls is still hard to get used to. I know I did well on the Jumprope game in the original, but this one. Ooooooof. Using a GameCube Controller(Switch Version) may be why. Might have to change to the physical Switch for a moment or something.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
I haven't gotten the chance to see the Mario movie yet, and yet I still got a vision of what one of the potential sequels could do.

If they were to introduce Rosalina, imagine if she had her own army akin to Bowser's, but as the ultimate good and not an evil uprising.

Rosalina - Bowser, the obvious top dog of the whole group
Lubba - Kamek, the second in command and personal advisor to the leader.
Geno - Blue Spiny Paratroopa, the devoted sergeant to the troops, providing morale for any war.

And to avoid a Toad situation, i.e. a lack of diversity in the different species, the troops themselves could consist of various Galaxy NPCs, rather than just Lumas.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Rosalina is the type to lead an army. She's powerful sure, but her whole thing is taking care of the lumas, who can't really defend themselves. She also doesn't have any royal power. She's not an actual monarch like Peach or Daisy. She just kind of adopted the lumas.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
This is real official artwork of Geno and Mallow
I just realized his sword can be used as side air attack
That’s what the artwork shows lol

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It's gotten pretty quiet, around here.
...So here, have a sparkly doodle-y Mimi.
View attachment 367222
I always really liked the smooth rainbow gradient aesthetic SPM had, to be honest. At least with stuff like Tippi.
How do her spider legs work in this Artstyle? honestly i dont wanna know!
BTW How many of you have played Bugfables? I just noticed it has gotten a german Translation! Neat!
(I obviously already played it in english!)
Would Mimi and Spuder hang out Together? Than again Mimi Is a giant spider and Spuder is a normal one so shell probably just stomp him!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
How do her spider legs work in this Artstyle? honestly i dont wanna know!
BTW How many of you have played Bugfables? I just noticed it has gotten a german Translation! Neat!
(I obviously already played it in english!)
Would Mimi and Spuder hang out Together? Than again Mimi Is a giant spider and Spuder is a normal one so shell probably just stomp him!
It's okay, you can know anyway.

Isn't my adorable spider-wife just the most precious thing? ♥

True Form Mimi colors.png

Sorry, took me a bit to notice - and then a bit more to doodle. ...Also wasn't quite sure if I should spoiler this, since it's technically not gory or anything like that. I can just edit the post if I need to, I suppose.

On another note - I have played Bug Fables. Haven't finished it, but got maybe.. a third or fourth of the way through, I think? Haven't touched it for a while, now. I can't actually remember whether I've spoken on it here before, or not. I've honestly got... mixed feelings about it, at this point. On one hand, it's something similar to the old Paper Mario gameplay, and on certain occasions I could almost feel like I was back playing Paper Mario 64 or TTYD again. ...But on other occasions I'd just wish I was playing TTYD. Bug Fables has certainly got spirit and good intentions, but something about the artstyle just rubs me the wrong way, if I'm not in the right mood for it. Maybe it's a little too simplified and flat?
I mean, I knew going in that it wasn't gonna have that Nintendo polish, but was still sometimes a little off-putting. Not that I'm just insulting it or anything, it's just not quite my favorite style, I suppose. Maybe it's just that some of the choppiness reminded me of the equally choppy and intentionally(?) limited animation of the modern Paper Mario trilogy, and that just makes me long for that silky smooth segmented animation from TTYD.
I get why Mario ended up with the choppy 2-frame walk cycle for the 3DS hardware, but it's a shame it carried over even to the Wii U and Switch. But, I'm just sort of rambling at this point. I think Bug Fables is a pretty admirable attempt at recreating that lost Paper Mario magic, even if it falls just a little short of the originals it's trying to imitate.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
We got another Geno Easter egg
Geno is officially in Roblox lmao

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
It's really good, but it has more of an impact on Mario as a whole rather than the RPGs specifically.
Yeah but it's still Mario and it's focused on the story side like the RPGs so i just wanted to hear everyone thoughts.

Also an excuse to revive this thread.

However, speaking on the RPGs. Something new has as risen.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm honestly betting that if SNES Remake rumor is true, its FE4 or Chrono Trigger, but I'll go nuts if it is indeed Mario RPG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom