• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's a decent mix-up at kill percentages since, if the opponent isn't expecting it, they'll likely airdodge after getting hit by it.

Which is easy to cover with Usmash/Fsmash.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It might be able to shield poke decently well if their shield isn't angled, which could net you a kill off of a read. That's about it though.

BSP

Smash Legend
Look up the video on edge slips, and force edge slips on people and aim for the lock

:phone:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Fair is bad unless you're really really good at spacing and timing it. All of Mario's aerials are pretty good offstage. Dair is pretty situational in that regard, though, so it's probably best to avoid that move offstage for a while.

SKidd

Smash Master
jab lock edgeslip is so legit, get that **** so much
and then they get scared and start rolling on the platform and it's just ****

yo have you guys considered reverse fludd as a momentum cancel thing like pika or luigi's side b?
get hit -> uair -> fastfall -> buffer turn around fludd

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
You can't do a rar'd or b-reversed fludd, so the only way to turn around would be to cape int the opposite direction. I've messed around with it and it's totally never worth it unfortunately, it usually puts you in a bad position and doesn't really help with the momentum cancelling at all.

tru0067

Smash Journeyman
Also with jab locks does it work in training mode, I can't seem to get it to work

Or maybe I just can't get jab lock to work in general

And what is our best throw

:phone:

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
How doesn't it work? Are you doing your second jab by accident? Or are they just invincible through your second jab and stand up?

Our best throw really depends on the player.
Some players like to keep their bthrow fresh for the 200% kill, while others prefer to use it to wrack up damage.

Our downthrow is the best throw at low % because it's our best combo throw, and out fthrow is our fastest and second most damaging throw. It's good if you want to keep up pressure because it doesn't give them too much time to react and keeps them pressured.

upthrow is garbage, never use it

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Uthrow has a few uses... it's like 2nd best at everything really. Does the same damage as Fthrow, sets up slightly worse than Dthrow at low percentages (except vs fastfallers like the spacies or Sheik...I'd actually recommend using this around 0-10% if you're going for combos off of a grab vs them since Dthrow puts them a little too close to the ground) and Uthrow kills about 10 or so percent later than Bthrow if that is stale for some reason.

It's our worst throw, but yeah. Not really too bad, I don't think.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
wait what?
Upthrow can actually kill?
I legit never seen this before cept in brawl- where it kills at like 40%

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
wait what?
Upthrow can actually kill?
I legit never seen this before cept in brawl- where it kills at like 40%
Yup. It's an extreme option, and Bthrow is ALWAYS better, but if it's stale for some reason, Uthrow kills a few percent higher. I've done it on multiple occasions myself.

But honestly, you should rarely ever need it. Dsmash kills around then even staled, most of our aerials do the trick by then, Utilt is amazing around that percentage...

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
i think dtilt is actually the worst move in the entire game

you get punished if you whiff, and you get punished if you hit

just use ftilt aimed downwards instead

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
It can, but it usually follows up by you getting punished in the face. Even when it hits.

I'd much rather just dsmash rather than trying to dtilt > dsmash.

The only real legit use I found for this is when the opponent is hanging on the ledge and doesn't have invincibility. It knocks them up high enough at high % for a fsmash, but no one hangs on the ledge without invincibility anymore.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
but no one hangs on the ledge without invincibility anymore.
This is true. They'll just refresh their invincibility or get out of range for being hit, and/or get back on the stage.

Dtilt in this, and pretty much every scenario I can think of, is terrible. As much as I like to be the savior of bad moves, I still haven't found a use for it. (And I turned Up-B into a staple!)

But that Fair. So good.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
fsmash should kill most of the time, since you're hitting them with it on the edge of the stage.

You can actually charge the fsmash a little while they do the forced get-up animation if you can time it right. I suck at it though, so I just fsmash them while they're on the ground. Don't forget to sweetspot it

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
in most situations you should always have it charged if your opponent happens to use like a falcon punch for example near the ledge use fludd to push him off and if you time it right theres a good chance for a gimp KO but most characters can still recover if you dont time it right

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Wait what.

Gimping with Fludd is situational at best. It's more of a disruption move and can keep them off of you when you're recovering. Honestly, I'm not even good with FLUDD. It's like my biggest regret.

In fact, I'll ask the question myself. How do you guys think I should start using FLUDD? Using it to keep distance from the opponent/myself is pretty arbitrary because it puts me back in the same position I just was. I find that using it to mess up my opponent's spacing on an aerial doesn't generally put me in the greatest of positions either. I usually don't HAVE to use it to keep them off of me when I recover, but I should probably do that more often.

But like, what other practical use can I give FLUDD? I feel like it's lonely because it's a move I should be using and it's not completely useless like D-tilt. How the hell am I supposed to write an extended guide about how to use the move if I have no idea what to do with it myself?!?! I don't practice enough to experiment with stuff, anymore. D:

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
FLUDD's best use is as a re-positioning tool.

Trying angling FLUDD upward. That way, it allows you to position your opponent slightly above you, forcing them to make an unexpected aerial that you can punish on. If you're on Battlefield, then you can also force your opponent to land on one of the platforms which is generally a better position for Mario. I also find Angled FLUDD to be really helpful in the Peach match-up. If your opponent is floating toward you, you can FLUDD them and it sends them higher up, seriously limiting their landing options if they don't see it coming.

Top Bottom