• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mafia/Newbie 10! Game Over! Scum Wins!

Grump

Smash Apprentice
/vote ubermario
Since he took so long to /sign

What does everybody think of the exchange that happened at the top of this page between Sephiroths and Terywj?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, why do you vote Ubermario with that reason?

Him taking a while to confirm doesn't raise suspicion, or do you think he is just trying to stay quite to see what everyone else says?

Grump

Smash Apprentice
It was more of a RVS vote, since the game only just now begun. Usually, to get discussion going, I pick the last person that I have mentioned/talked-to pre-game-start and come up with some off-the-wall reason to give them my "random vote", and go from there :p It's to generate chatter really, so I can then begin to make more informed reads.

Now if he was staying quiet AFTER THE GAME STARTED, then some suspicion may be garnered. But that situation hasn't arrived yet.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
But Seph. If that was the case, you'd be voting for 1/4 of the forums! lol
Though you bring up a rather interesting point. How much do you read into sudden vote changes and/or not voting at all until right before deadline?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
But Seph. If that was the case, you'd be voting for 1/4 of the forums! lol
Though you bring up a rather interesting point. How much do you read into sudden vote changes and/or not voting at all until right before deadline?
It's a case by case senario, if the day is chaotic and there isn't really one good lynch target, it's common to have votes fly all over the place. Also, not voting is ok too, if your going for a lynch and your contributing, but you don't have a vote, it's perfectly fine. But if you stay hidden all Day and when the lynch time comes out you vote, you make yourself an easy target no matter what faction you belong to.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ranmaru. Don't edit your posts, I'm going to get that one Mod-reversed. Double post in future please.
Oops, It was habit. xD I'll try to keep a note preventing me from editing... can't mods just make it so that there aren't edit buttons? xD

self:reminder: DON'T EDIT

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, I'll think I'll wait for others to post, so we can see what they may think. :p
Vote: Ranmaru

Obvscum not reading the rules.

@Acrostic: Why'd you comment on the picture in my #41 and not the actual body of the text?

@Seph: Explain why Tery is scum

@Tery: Who's scum?

@Grump: Do you think J should be the day 1 lynch? I'm considering it at this stage.

@J: Why so inactive? :mad:

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
What does everybody think of the exchange that happened at the top of this page between Sephiroths and Terywj?
People should comment on this situation.

I'll say something on it later because I'm interested in what others think and I'm an all powerful IC and there's nothing you can do about it HAHAHAHAHA :awesome:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
There's no real need to make a stand on opening day. I'd rather wait and make assumptions once events start happening. Making irrational attacks and threats of voting is rather a waste of time in my opinion.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
unvote vote Terywj

This is an event and it is happening.

As a gentle reminder, on Day 1 relatively nothing is known about other player's alignments. The important thing is to force people to take stances while taking stances on your own. This is how real dicussion builds and we begin to scum hunt.

In a vanilla game such as this, it is often difficult for scum hunting to begin, because of how little we know. If we don't force discussion, it will not happen. We can't wait for scum to "slip" per se.

While Seph may be using stupid reasoning for calling Tery mafia, it is not his reasons that we should be interested in. Why did he take such a strong stance on Tery's alignment in his very first post? Why did he single out Tery in particular? Why didn't he comment on other players posting around that time? What is he trying to achieve? Is this townie or scummy? Or neither? These are all things from which discussion can be built.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I'm being an ***

@Tery:
How do you plan to scum hunt in this game?
Give an example of a previous mafia game offsite you've played before (link or just a small description if it's like IRC mafia).
When you say "once events start happening" what are you talking about?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm too used to discussing in private with the other players since again - I play an unnconventional Mafia. Anyway.

I made my stance clear and nothing has yet to change my opinions.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Just going to take a random stab at it.

Is it smogon mafia?

If it is I've played it before (and it's fun :D)

Also @All what would you say if I claimed Bowser? (I'm not asking people to claim btw)

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Vandie: @Grump: Do you think J should be the day 1 lynch? I'm considering it at this stage.
It's FAR too early to tell at this point. Though I do think that if s/he isn't active and assisting in the scum hunt after a while, then s/he should (at the very least) have everybody's FOS.

Terwyj
There's no real need to make a stand on opening day. I'd rather wait and make assumptions once events start happening. Making irrational attacks and threats of voting is rather a waste of time in my opinion.
The irrational attacks and threats ARE a waste of time, but the reactions off of those are not! Therefor, the action needed to fulfill variable A (threats) are NOT a waste of time if they help us reach a valuable outcome (variable B, and finding reactions).

For example, a scummy thing to do would be halting investigation entirely. The mafia can accomplish it's adjective without discussion. We townies, however... cannot :(

So, I say you defend yourself now.
unvote vote: Tery

A little pressure is handy for finding out who's truly a townie. :)

Grump

Smash Apprentice
By the way, I'm usually a grammar Nazi, but I'm gonna refrain from /edit ing my posts. So deal with my its and it's ._.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Just going to take a random stab at it.

Is it smogon mafia?

If it is I've played it before (and it's fun :D)

Also @All what would you say if I claimed Bowser? (I'm not asking people to claim btw)
Nope. I do not know how Smogon Mafia is played either so.

It's FAR too early to tell at this point. Though I do think that if s/he isn't active and assisting in the scum hunt after a while, then s/he should (at the very least) have everybody's FOS.

The irrational attacks and threats ARE a waste of time, but the reactions off of those are not! Therefor, the action needed to fulfill variable A (threats) are NOT a waste of time if they help us reach a valuable outcome (variable B, and finding reactions).

For example, a scummy thing to do would be halting investigation entirely. The mafia can accomplish it's adjective without discussion. We townies, however... cannot :(

So, I say you defend yourself now.
unvote vote: Tery

A little pressure is handy for finding out who's truly a townie. :)
Go ahead and vote me. When it all comes down to it, I'll be voted off, and although I may be new to this type of Mafia and not be able to contribute much due to my conservatist nature you guys will be down one Townie as well.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Go ahead and vote me. When it all comes down to it, I'll be voted off, and although I may be new to this type of Mafia and not be able to contribute much due to my conservatist nature you guys will be down one Townie as well.
Cry of WIFOM? Dunno, too early to tell.

This is actually a poor argument though- you act as though you want YOURSELF to win, not your team. It is not "The surviving townies win" but "Townies win or lose regardless." IF it comes down to you getting lynched and flipping townie, we'll at least be able to salvage some vote data off of it, but I'd rather us all NOT have to deal with a misslynch.

Discussion Note: Is "you guys" a slip of some sort? Meaning she does not feel like she is a part of the townie group? Or am I looking too far into unintentional word choice?

Vandei
Well, given all of the different types of archenemies in the Mario universe, Bowser wouldn't really tell us TOO much besides the fact that you are possibly scum. Logic would dictate that, in this (hopeful) setup, lying shouldn't be needed. By saying you ARE Bowser, you would either be
a) Honest Scum
or b) Lying Scum
or c) Lying Townie

A and B need immediate lynchings, and C would as well if all they did was create discourse. Townies have no need to practice dishonesty.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
First off, I'm a guy. :3

Anyway. Perhaps I worded my last post poorly - blame me picking English as a third language - but what I meant to say was that as of current there is no real evidence to suggest that I could be Mafia. And by recklessly voting me to death results in the loss of a Townie to the Town, leaving Mafia less work to do. I was using that as a means of how that would not make up for my lack of information to this playstyle of Mafia.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
@Seph: What do you think of my discussion point mentioned above? Any thoughts?

@Inactive posters: Come on! Can't get a read on you guys if you aren't posting D: Otherwise it'll look like I'm tunneling :(

@Tery:

You're a guy? o.O Oops >.>

Indeed, and I'm not TRYING to lynch you at the moment. We still have 13 days before that happens! A common practice is to see if people crack under pressure. A simple single vote doesn't accomplish that. A second vote, and the potential for a bandwagon, DOES make people uneasy. I'm trying to find out how people react, what kind of logic they use, etc. etc.

And I congratulate you on your English skills :p Had me fooled, and you construct much better than native English speakers.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I vote Vanderzant. He is quick to vote others, eh?? Hmmm. Choose your vote wisely.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
EBWOP

Vote Vanderzant

There. :p I can agree with Tery standing by, why not? : ]

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
No, I meant that he is quick to change his vote. Sorry about forgetting to say that. : ]

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
First off, I'm a guy. :3

Anyway. Perhaps I worded my last post poorly - blame me picking English as a third language - but what I meant to say was that as of current there is no real evidence to suggest that I could be Mafia. And by recklessly voting me to death results in the loss of a Townie to the Town, leaving Mafia less work to do. I was using that as a means of how that would not make up for my lack of information to this playstyle of Mafia.
Saying "I'm townie and if you kill me you'll let scum win." isn't really much of a defense. Neither is the lack of information point. The whole point of D1 is that you start off with 0 information. And the way you do find info is to pressure the other players.

I hope this is suffice Grump.

Unvote,

Vote: Tery

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Saying, "Saying 'I'm a townie and if you kill me you'll let scum win.'..." isn't a logical conclusion either seeing as I never actually stated such a thing.

If I am killed, the town loses a townie. Does that not give the Mafia an advantage?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
What the hell is a wifom hole.

Again, it's opening day and there's not much evidence out there against anyone. But if you guys are off to lynch me, be my guest.

I stand my ground. Vote: No lynch

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm pretty sure Seph was just throwing out a vote to whomever was there to take it. Although, I don't think Tery HAS to vote at all, correct?

I think it is alright if he doesn't vote yet... but of course, he is doing fine with questioning. Quite logical to question my last statement, for example.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You guys? Who do you mean as you guys?

I keep my vote final. (for now)

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Nope. I do not know how Smogon Mafia is played either so.
Well it sounds like it'd be similar to what you play. You're allowed both private communication and can freely quote your role pm and mod communication to others. So it's basically a "dumbed down" style of mafia where scum wins if they can make the best fake role pms, and where town wins by process of eliminating dodgy claims. Still fun though.

Also, do you not see the flaw in your reasoning that Grump and Seph have pointed out? Just because you're not used to this style of mafia doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. Though, we shouldn't mull over this any more. Honestly, if you don't like it then replace out :). Playing games should be enjoyable and not a chore.

Discussion Note: Is "you guys" a slip of some sort? Meaning she does not feel like she is a part of the townie group? Or am I looking too far into unintentional word choice?
I was actually more interested when he mentioned he's used to private communication, possibly implying that he doesn't have private communication in this game (i.e. is not mafia). So a possible soft town read Tery for that alone, but it's not too concrete at this stage.

@Ranmaru: Do you not think I was justified in voting Tery in my #93? Why I wouldn't change my vote if I were town, especially if I thought I'd hit scum?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
What the hell is a wifom hole.

Again, it's opening day and there's not much evidence out there against anyone. But if you guys are off to lynch me, be my guest.

I stand my ground. Vote: No lynch
Have you ever seen "The Princess Bride"? It's ok if you haven't but the term WIFOM comes from that movie. WIFOM means Wine In Front Of Me. In that scene the Sicilian goes back and forth from saying "is the poison is in your cup, or is it in my cup?"

I think the way I'm describing it is a little off, so here's a link to the definition.

http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Wine_In_Front_Of_Me

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Also, do you not see the flaw in your reasoning that Grump and Seph have pointed out? Just because you're not used to this style of mafia doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. Though, we shouldn't mull over this any more. Honestly, if you don't like it then replace out :). Playing games should be enjoyable and not a chore.
I believe the fact that I am actually playing this game after people like Sephiroths and X1-12 practically yelled at me to shows that I'm actually trying something new. If I were such an self-absorbant person then why would I bother playing a DGame Mafia when it's apparent that it is different. I thought it would be that obvious through my posts but. Guess not.

I don't see how me saying "Voting for me leaves the town down a person since I am a townie." is conveying the message that I am not liking the format of this game.

Top Bottom