• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mafia/Newbie 10! Game Over! Scum Wins!

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman

Hello and welcome to your first game of mafia. Mafia can be a lot of fun, and Newbie games are a great place to start. I'll start by saying that all posts I make in italics will be my IC (Inexperienced Challenged) voice. As an IC, is is my duty to set a good example on how to play, as well as to teach you about mafia theory and concepts.

Straight up, I will say that I wrote this post before the game began, and thus it is not in any way shape or form indicative of my alignment or win condition I am playing to. However, upon receiving my role pm, I may have chosen to omit certain parts, or add extra things if I am mafia. Despite this, everything I italicise will generally be my thoughts on mafia terms and mechanics. Stuff that's general knowledge, not my thoughts on the current game and its players.

Most of these mafia concepts remain the same from game to game. So my alignment should not show through my italicised posts. Be wary of this.

Mafia is a game of subtleties and motives. No one is going to tell you they are mafia. However, people will choose certain actions and say certain things because they are town or because they are scum (note: the terms 'scum' and 'mafia' are generally interchangeable for all purposes in this game). It is town's job to find these motives and scum's job to appear to have the motivation of a townie.

Fundamentally, good scum play is inseparable from good town play. Think about this and what it means for your faction.

Newbie games are generally fairly simple in terms of flavour (the themes in the game, i.e. Mario) and mechanics (how things such as the lynch and night roles operate, usually explained in the rules) and they generally run open set ups (meaning we know what roles are in the game, as well as how many mafia vs town).

However, simple games reinforce the fundamentals that make mafia such a fun game, making for some of the best clashes of wits; there are few unknowns other than a players alignment. No where for town or scum to hide. A true test of mafia skill :D.

Mafia games usually begin with the RVS (random vote stage) where players vote other players with the purpose of building discussion, from which we can begin to scum hunt (the process of finding mafia). During RVS, it is standard practice to also ask "random" questions which serve the same purpose as votes: to generate meaningful discussion.

The name RVS is actually lie, because people do not do things randomly (by the definition of the word). They will almost always have a reason for what they do (even if it's as simple as 'I felt like it'). A more apt name would be the 'Joke Vote Stage.' But if you want to be technical, the JVS could be considered a substage of RVS :p

tl;dr: RVS is a loosely defined term for the beginning of a mafia game, where there is no real or productive discussion related to scum hunting.

My biggest quarrel in mafia (and one of the most flawed mindsets I see in mafia games) is that RVS serves no purpose other than to 'start' the game. People underestimate RVS severely imo. It is such a good way to get a feel or vibe for other players alignments. I know personally that if I am absent from RVS, I struggle to play well regardless of alignment.

But remember, it's important sometimes to take things said in RVS with a grain of salt. The key to a successful start is player involvement.

Town's job during RVS is to promote discussion, in an attempt to:
1. learn other players alignments, and
2. demonstrate that they are both town and useful to town's cause.

There is no correct way to play as scum, and thus Mafia's job (especially) during RVS is to
1. appear to be town and
2. (more generally) manipulate lynches so that mafia win.

That is all for now! If you are already dreading future walls of text, then mafia may not be your cup of tea. I will answer any questions you may have about the game, and we shall learn as we go along :D.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Excellent write-up on the RVS :D It also probably helps the whole learning curve of newbies that you (supposedly) posted it PRIOR to receiving your role PM. Again, emphasis on that parenthetical phrase. That one up there ^^^

I equally agree that the RVS is seldom truly "random". But I'm not experienced in the meta of this site, so I'll hold my opinions private until I see how people play :]

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I love Vandy for that kick-off! Don't be afraid to ask either of us any term questions.

Also just to be silly

10cartoVandy'sposr x3

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
You know, I have a hard time determining whether VG Cats is funny or not. I mean the Sparta reference applied to Mushroom Kingdom, okay. But there is no deeper subtext you know. No underlying joke. No greater message. Just mixing in VG Cats with Mushroom Kingdom... eh. I mean the art is wonderful. But still. Sometimes he gets it, but most of the time Scott is just missing that je ne sais quoi.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Correct Role PMs going out. Note, any information in a PM that's not yours and you received by accident is liable to change and cannot be trusted. If you recieved multiple PMs and and unsure which one is yours, PM me back

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Correct Role PMs going out. Note, any information in a PM that's not yours and you received by accident is liable to change and cannot be trusted. If you recieved multiple PMs and and unsure which one is yours, PM me back
I got 5 minutes before class. Let's find out if I know what it'll be.

Edit - How would you send multiple incorrect PM, X1-12?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Last night I sent a couple of people multiple role PMs because I forgot to change the name of who I was sending to. All PMs from this point will be double checked

X1-12

Smash Champion
All PMs out. We will begin once everyone has confirmed. I strongly suggest you subscribe to this thread.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
@ Everyone: Is this your first mafia game that you've started playing? Have you had any previous experience in any other games? Do you have any hobbies, dreams, skills, or sexual preferences that you would like to share?
I don't think telling us how much you make a year is going to make a difference in this game.

Also, J is mafia because he's cool, and cool guys are mafia. Wait that makes me mafia too! Crap X1 restart the game because the two coolest guys are mafia!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I don't think telling us how much you make a year is going to make a difference in this game.
I think you misunderstood. [1] First of all, I stated that I would like to earn a six-figure salary. Provided below is a source of my original quotation with the underlined part to substantiate this statement. Either you didn't read the entire post, decided to skim reading my posts, or made a mistake in phrasing your initial statement.

Acrostic said:
I have just started getting into mafia games. I prefer town roles. I have access to a computer, however finals are approaching and I feel that time constrictions prevent me from playing to the best of my ability. I have participated in another mafia game on another board, but I have been lynched. I find that I prefer playing 2-3 games at once. I love to sleep. My dream is to find a lifestyle where I can get at least ten hours of sleep a day. My skills involve basic network diagnostics and molecular biology lab work. I would like to have a six-figure income, live alone, and have a job that requires minimal effort so that I can focus on things that I'm interested in learning about.
[2] Second, you only took a portion of my original statement and misconstrued it as if the only topic of focus was regarding money. Perhaps this was another mistake in how you decided to phrase your comment. However when it comes to playing the actual game, using such methods will make it look as if you are attempting to manipulate the town by selectively using pieces of information that will make another member look bad, rather than actually taking time out to sort out the thinking process that was invested in the original act.

As someone who has already played this game, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't take RVS seriously. But when the game starts you should be more careful about how you write your responses, because I will decide to vote based on these factors.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
EBWOP:

I think you misunderstood. [1] First of all, I stated that I would like to earn a six-figure salary. Provided below is a source of my original quotation with the underlined part to substantiate this statement. Either you didn't read the entire post, decided to skim reading my posts, or made a mistake in phrasing your initial statement.

Acrostic said:
I have just started getting into mafia games. I prefer town roles. I have access to a computer, however finals are approaching and I feel that time constrictions prevent me from playing to the best of my ability. I have participated in another mafia game on another board, but I have been lynched. I find that I prefer playing 2-3 games at once. I love to sleep. My dream is to find a lifestyle where I can get at least ten hours of sleep a day. My skills involve basic network diagnostics and molecular biology lab work. I would like to have a six-figure income, live alone, and have a job that requires minimal effort so that I can focus on things that I'm interested in learning about.
[2] Second, you only took a portion of my original statement and misconstrued it as if the only topic of focus was regarding money. Perhaps this was another mistake in how you decided to phrase your comment. However when it comes to playing the actual game, using such methods will make it look as if you are attempting to manipulate the town by selectively using pieces of information that will make another member look bad, rather than actually taking time out to sort out the thinking process that was invested in the original act.

As you are someone who has already played a game of mafia, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't take RVS seriously. But when the game starts you should be more careful about how you write your responses, because I will decide to vote based on these factors.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The point I was making was most of your post was unecessary as it provided nothing to the game. It's about reading whats implied.

Your right that I am wrong about your wage statement, but as you can see by my statement, it really doesn't provide much to the game.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
This is my first game of Mafia. I have played some RP's, so I know how to stay within rules, such as NO GOD COMPLEXES. (broken powers)

My hobbies are videogames. : ]

How about you Acrostic?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Seph said:
The point I was making was most of your post was unecessary as it provided nothing to the game. It's about reading whats implied. Your right that I am wrong about your wage statement, but as you can see by my statement, it really doesn't provide much to the game.
The wage statement wasn't meant to stand out on its own, it was intended to get people involved by building up a good atmosphere. Encouraging people to participate is for the mutual benefit of everyone. In order to imply meaning you need people everyone to get involved. That was the main purpose of the initial post. I am well aware that I am not in the Pool Room or in the User Blog shooting the breeze and talking about sports or politics. I don't understand how someone who is telling me to develop a more introspective game by reading into statements can't read into the fact that the purpose of the comment was to develop an at-ease atmosphere while remaining a bit serious at the same time. If you literally thought I was planning on making this mafia game a social thread, then perhaps you are the one who needs to be a bit more introspective before posting a criticism during RVS.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Never mind my question, I just saw your quote, Acrostic.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
This is my first game of Mafia. I have played some RP's, so I know how to stay within rules, such as NO GOD COMPLEXES. (broken powers) My hobbies are videogames. : ] How about you Acrostic?
This is my second game of Mafia. I can't talk about the first one because it is currently on-going. I never played an RP before, it sounds cool. Do you play RPGs? My favorites are Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars, Final Fantasy, and a couple of others. I don't have any hobbies besides sleeping. :embarrass:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Ranmaru, next time just double post instead of editing if you made a glaring mistake. You can write in EBWOP on the double post to indicate that it is meant to be a correction.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
AH, thank you very much. I just have a habit of posting quickly, and editing. (which is probably a good habit in most cases hehe)

This is my second game of Mafia. I can't talk about the first one because it is currently on-going. I never played an RP before, it sounds cool. Do you play RPGs? My favorites are Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars, Final Fantasy, and a couple of others. I don't have any hobbies besides sleeping.

Ah, that is fine, and I understand. Yes, the RP was fun, it was based on Zelda. I have played Final Fantasy (many of the series) Xenosaga, Star Ocean, Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario TTYD, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga (that is an awesome game), Knights Crusade (very simple RPG I'd recommend for kids), Chrono Cross (LYYNNNX)

I love sleeping too but it's not a hobby for me lol. I can't have fun while sleeping. :]

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
/Confirming

Sorry Sorry, school then theatre. Busy but I'm ready.

Shhh Sephy we still gotta have fun mis-lynching townies first. ;)

Grump

Smash Apprentice
/le sigh.
No Ubermario to be found :( He must've gotten pummeled by UberMetaknight or something. :p

X1-12

Smash Champion
It was a pleasant day in Mushroom Kingdom, just like all days there. However suddenly a cry was heard in the town, and all the Kingdom rushed there to see the body of an innocent being dead in the Plaza. It became obvious that there were some in the glorious Mushroom Kingdom who didn't want happiness for all. It was the job of the town to find them!

Day 1 begins!

No votes have been placed

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch!

Deadline for end of Day 1 is 17th Dec. - Good Luck all!

Mod Notes:

1.) This information has been added to the first post:
Whichever of the Mafia players sent the Night Kill will be the one to visit that player and commit the deed.
If the player who sent the kill is jailed, the other mafia member will carry out the kill.
If there is only 1 mafia member remaining, the jailer can stop the Night Kill by jailing the lone mafiat
2.) Votecounts should appear roughly at the top of each page (40ppp)

3.) From this point on I will be posting in this colour so its easy to notice my posts.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, I'll think I'll wait for others to post, so we can see what they may think. :p

Top Bottom