• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

§leepy God

Smash Master
I do wonder if Wario Colosseum is one of the GC picks, that would be awesome, that or Mushroom City would be cool. IDK, I like the music on those two stages. xD

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bowser's Castle is usually my favorite course in any of the games

Thino

Smash Master
New Mario Kart 7 Features Announced
by James Charlton - October 21, 2011 - 7:04 A.M.
Total Comments: 1 Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/nintendo_direct/index.html

A new Mario Kart channel, community features, and more!

During the Nintendo Direct Conference today, as well as in an extended Iwata Asks video interview, game producer Hideki Konno.confirmed that there will be 32 courses (16 brand new courses, 16 retro) in Mario Kart 7, and detailed all the new online features.

StreetPass
Mario Kart Channel will be in the game this time, unlike the Wii's separate channel in the system menu. StreetPass records, collected ghosts and more are accumulated there. StreetPassed Mii's can now be raced in Grand Prix mode. The AI reflects the player's racing style. You can also race with the player online and make him your rival.

SpotPass
Up to eight ghosts at once will be distributed via SpotPass. Players' best times in time attack mode are uploaded to Nintendo's server. The distributed ghosts are based on those player's ghosts. You will race in time-attack with up to 7 ghosts simultaneously, all with varying degrees of skill levels.

Online multiplayer
The game will support up to eight players online, and the frame rate is locked at 60fps. Nintendo have put more countermeasures to combat cheating this time around.

Community
One of the biggest new online features, players can make (or join) up to eight communities. The idea came from the fact people on message boards arranged online Mario Kart Wii game by exchanging friend codes, so Nintendo decided to make this process easier. Each community has a 14-digit ID that will give you access to the group.

Unlockable custom parts
Some machine parts are unlockable in single player, but there are some you can get by beating a StreetPassed ghost. Each ghost will hold a machine part that can be earned by beating it.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28155

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/amkj/play/index.html

A lot of pictures and misc here. Also, go to characters (the one after the red one), click on the characters, and you can see some characters playing on courses. idk if someone mentioned that, but it's very interesting. And it looks like DS DK Pass, Wii Mushroom Gorge, Wii Koopa Cape, and N64 Koopa Troopa Beach (?) are returning.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Mushroom Gorge is a perfect return stage for Mario Kart 7, now I don't have to die when someone pushes me off the edge since I can use a kite. XD

UberMario

Smash Master
Some new info:

The SNES track is indeed Mario Circuit 2.
The spiny shell follows the ground, then flies into the air to detonate upon the leader when within range.
The "7" item sprouts 7 items of varying power. There are two, conflicting reports about whether you get to use all 7 items, or are only allowed to choose one.
Wii Mushroom Gorge is returning, with a blue mushroom that causes the gliders to activate. (Here's a video of it: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/amkj/course/index.html )
MK64 Luigi Raceway is now split into two grooves, like in GCN Luigi CIrcuit: you can now drive on top of the blue tiling and use speed pads to keep up with the inner line. To increase the incentive to take the longer route, the item boxes in the turns are only on the tiling and there are more coins up there. (see the link above)
The community feature facilitates the use of clans?
The star theme is based off the Wing Cap theme from SM64.
The track with the Toad balloons is the first Mushroom cup course. It's a winding figure eight with a gliding ramp. You can use the ramp to glide over the overpass, though you have to be careful not to land on the earlier stretch of track.
The classic, "tubeframe" kart from the first three games is one of the available chassis.
There are two new Bowser Castles this time?
There is another track that goes through a piranha plant-infested sewer.
There is a musical stage.
-The fake item will not return after being in every 3D Mario Kart beforehand. Similarly, Boo seems to not be returning as an item, either, possibly implying that one of the new unlockable racers is a normal Boo. The new items from Mario Kart Wii (the Mega Mushroom, POW Block and Thunder Cloud) have also been scrapped.

If the Mushroom Cup footage is anything to judge by, the courses are more difficult than Mario Kart Wii's. It looks like they are about on the same skill level as Mario Kart DS's.

This battle course image shows differently colored balloons, which means that the classic-style Battle Mode is back!

Nintendo's website also shows that 64 Big Donut, GBA Battle Course 1 and DS Palm Shore are returning.

Some more retro tracks were shown:
-N64 Koopa Troopa Beach (so much for a decent retro GBA pick. At least the next Mario Kart won't have a N64 Mushroom Cup course. :/ )
-GCN Dino Dino Jungle
-Wii Mushroom Gorge
-Wii Koopa Cape

Wii Coconut Mall was also named in a NintendoWorldReport article.

The N64 and GBA selections for this game are absolutely terrible, but it looks like the DS and Wii picks are good. Dino Dino Jungle is an awesome retro choice, but seriously? 7 Mushroom Cup tracks out of 16 retros? I wonder what the remaining two are...

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
This is a little confusing for the retro courses. Could it be 3 N64 Courses and 3 GCN Courses? That will leave only one SNES/GBA though, but with 3 N64 Courses, it really leaves a mess out of how things will work out, considering there's only 32 Courses and 2 Retro courses left.

UberMario

Smash Master
Snaking isn't in this one, right? :urg:
Snaking is in EVERY Mario Kart except for the first one. (Yes, that includes Mario Kart: Super Circuit, which actually had the most effective version). Mario Kart DS' snaking is no better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) than Mario Kart 64's, and Mario Kart Double Dash's mini-turbos actually came out faster than Mario Kart DS's. Interestingly, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Is the only Mario Kart so far where you can see a staff ghost snaking. Go to Baby Park in Time Trials and you'll see what I mean.

Mario Kart Wii has it, too, but it's inferior to wheelies with inward-drifting bikes. It only became more well-known and infamous in Mario Kart DS because it was the first one to go online and thus the one that most Mario Kart players were introduced to the technique.

The only reason that it isn't possible in Super Mario Kart is because there aren't any mini-turbos in that game, period.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
According to one's recent "confirmation" that they claimed from a recent Nintendo Power issue to be true, Wiggler and Queen B. are the last two unlockable characters: http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=6981&pid=229235&st=450&#entry229235

Now, this dude could be trolling, but I thought I'd go ahead and post this here anyway. Personally, I still want more direct proof.

Edit: Well... it looks like they were right. o_O http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3ds/mario_kart_7?start=1060 (Scroll down for the pics...)

Thino

Smash Master
Snaking is in EVERY Mario Kart except for the first one. (Yes, that includes Mario Kart: Super Circuit, which actually had the most effective version). Mario Kart DS' snaking is no better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) than Mario Kart 64's, and Mario Kart Double Dash's mini-turbos actually came out faster than Mario Kart DS's. Interehstingly, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Is the only Mario Kart so far where you can see a staff ghost snaking. Go to Baby Park in Time Trials and you'll see what I mean.

Mario Kart Wii has it, too, but it's inferior to wheelies with inward-drifting bikes. It only became more well-known and infamous in Mario Kart DS because it was the first one to go online and thus the one that most Mario Kart players were introduced to the technique.

The only reason that it isn't possible in Super Mario Kart is because there aren't any mini-turbos in that game, period.
correction : snaking does exist in SMK, its not visual but the speed boost is noticeable as well as a short rev up change in the motor sound when its successful, so yes there is actually a miniturbo.

The technique of going left and right on a straight to build it is called NBT and is very similar to MKSC's ZZMT but harder.

Yup, Honey Queen and Wiggler are playable. This is very surprising, especially Honey Queen. :p
Glad theyre going for original character instead new clones like they did for baby daisy and toadette.

:phone:

UberMario

Smash Master
The Honey Queen is going to be chosen less than King Boo was in Mario Kart Wii. Also, it will be amusing seeing a Wiggler driving past giant Wigglers at Maple Treeway. lol

correction : snaking does exist in SMK, its not visual but the speed boost is noticeable as well as a short rev up change in the motor sound when its successful, so yes there is actually a miniturbo.

The technique of going left and right on a straight to build it is called NBT and is very similar to MKSC's ZZMT but harder.

Wow, I'll have to go back and try that. 0_o

Also, here's a video of how effective snaking can be in a kart-only environment in MKWii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_hT5PPZja4

UberMario

Smash Master
N64 Kalimari Desert was doubly confirmed if anyone feared that it was scrapped. Also, there is a small clip of Coconut Mall and an indication that Wuhu Island will take up two track slots. (There is a 1 next to the Wuhu Island clip. I'm guessing that the clip with Yoshi and Dino Dino Jungle is Wuhu Island 2)

Anyone want to take a guess at what the final retro pick will be? I doubt that either SNES or GBA are getting a second course (which is a shame, because MKWii and MK7 made Mario Kart: Super Circuit's tracks look generic and terrible. It's almost like they wanted to spite Intelligent Systems by only using Bowser Castle 1). I think that it's either going to be N64 Wario Stadium or GCN Wario Colosseum.

Koopa Troopa Beach has been HEAVILY redesigned, as in, it makes the tweaks done to N64 Bowser's Castle in MKWii look like a straight port. The rock structures are in different positions, there are more alternate routes, the cave is in a different location and more!

Oh, and Wiggler drives in a surfing pose. That is all.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I dont know, I dont think Nintendo is into having DLC for most of there games. I think they'd probably save additional characters and tracks for a new game. Maybe DLC for new staff ghost records or something.

UberMario

Smash Master
I dont know, I dont think Nintendo is into having DLC for most of there games. I think they'd probably save additional characters and tracks for a new game. Maybe DLC for new staff ghost records or something.
I agree with this. I could only see the DLC being used to add new missions, tournaments or ghost records. Maybe, just maybe, they might patch the game to fix balancing issues, but from what we've seen, it looks like the item balance is pretty good and characters only have "normal" bonuses.

EDIT 11/11:

The Star Cup, Leaf Cup and Battle Courses have both been shown on the Japanese Mario Kart site!

[collapse=spoilers]
The Star Cup contains Piranha Slider, a sewer track with Piranha Plants and Giant Gloombas that resembles a combination of 1-1 and 1-2 from Super Mario Bros. There is a very colorful outdoor section which uses a lot of SMB-style props.

The 2nd track is Wario's Ship. The course consists of the racers going through a sunken ship filled with Fishbone and a gloomy reef.

The 3rd is New Bowser City, which is so awesomely designed that they gave it a remix of Toad's Turnpike
and the Wii Circuit theme

Wuhu Loop 2 is the final Star Cup course, which takes place in a highly moutainous area with at least one tunnel. The music is a remix of the Wii Sports theme.

The Leaf Cup consists of N64 Kalimari Desert, DS DK Pass, GCN Daisy Cruiser and Wii Maple Treeway. Daisy Cruiser's pool is now sloped, allowing the racers to just go through it instead of around it.

That means that the Special Cup will consist of the DK track shown in the demo, the ice course with Comet Observatory, Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road, while the Lightning Cup will have GCN Dino Dino Jungle, DS Airship Fortress, Wii Koopa Cape and the last retro that hasn't been revealed.

DS Palm Shore hasn't changed, but GBA Battle Course 1 and N64 Big Donut have been modified significantly. GBABC1 has Rocky Wrenches in the track while Big Donut has a gliding section over the center, which is filled with items and lava plumes.

The Battle Mode seems to be somewhere in between the classic and Wii modes: each player is by themselves, but there is a time limit (you can tell because the "Hurry Up!" theme plays on the Big Donut video). You earn points by attacking enemies and there doesn't seem to be a limit to the amount of balloons that a character can swipe with a mushroom. It hasn't been revealed if you're taken out of the game if you run out of balloons, or if you simply have a point reducted and respawn like in mario Kart Wii, however, the points definitely come into play when the time is up. It seems like the 6 battle courses shown before are the only ones that will be in the game, so that might mean that we won't get any Super Mario Kart, Double Dash or Wii battle courses.
[/collapse]

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
No Double Dash!! battle courses? But Luigi's Mansion was the best!

And that final Retro Track had better be Yoshi Valley.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
If the last course is a N64 course, then it has to be Royal Raceway. It just HAS to be that. That big jump is perfect for flying. There's also water on the course, if that matters.

also, I so called the Daisy Cruiser pool would connect to that shortcut. :p

UberMario

Smash Master
also, I so called the Daisy Cruiser pool would connect to that shortcut. :p
Well, what I meant is that you don't get picked up by Lakitu if you go into it. Instead, you can just drive through it and out the other side of the pool. (In the clip shown, 5 drivers visibly enter the pool while Daisy is in 6th, and three seconds later, at least 3 drivers are still being seen driving down the staircase.)

It's hard to tell where the other two drivers went, so maybe they do have a shortcut in the very center of the pool after all.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
If the last course is a N64 course, then it has to be Royal Raceway. It just HAS to be that. That big jump is perfect for flying. There's also water on the course, if that matters.
Only if they included the SM64 Castle easter egg.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'm now even more disappointed that they chose GBA Bowser Castle 1. All of the other games have at least two fan favorites coming back, and yet they chose Super Circuit's only representation to be one that was outclassed in it's own game by three other Bowser Castles, oh well. :/

(Assuming that the World Report article is true, of course. They correctly announced the return of Daisy Cruiser, so I have to believe that this is legit, too.)

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
You know, originally, this game looked like it would be the best of the series. But, after seeing how they opted for the Queen Bee and Metal Mario over people like Fawful and Kamek, removed the items like the Mega Mushroom and the Pow Block, still don't have a N64 style battle mode, managed to forget retro tracks like Yoshi Valley and the battle courses Double Deck and Luigi's Mansion, yet somehow included SNES Rainbow Road? Don't get me wrong, SNES Rainbow Road is awesome, but I liked how Rainbow Road was always the last course and always unique. It was the only course in SMK not to be numbered. Including a retro one is kind of like adding Master Hand to the SSB4 character roster. Just, no. No. It changes the feel of the game.

And where did bikes go? The only good thing about this game other than flying swimming karts is the lack of baby characters. I hope.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dry Bowser is in the latest Mario game. I demand him in Mario Kart!

I can't loose my new favorite main

UberMario

Smash Master
But, after seeing how they opted for the Queen Bee and Metal Mario over people like Fawful and Kamek
I have no idea why they went with Queen Bee either.

removed the items like the Mega Mushroom and the Pow Block
They removed the Mega Mushroom because it limited creativity. If you watch the videos, you will notice that a mega character would likely get stuck in courses like Neo-Bowser City or in the shortcut on Koopa Troopa Beach. The POW Block ruined item strategy more than the lightning and spiny shells, so I'm glad that one is gone. Removing the Boo and Fake Item Box items is a bit baffling, though.

still don't have a N64 style battle mode
At least it is free-for-all now. The reason that they didn't go back to the older format is because people would just camp online and anyone that lost their balloons would simply disconnect. The newer system rewards aggression and keeps players in the game. Hopefully, the classic battle mode will be one of the options for communities, but I'm not counting on it.

managed to forget retro tracks like Yoshi Valley and the battle courses Double Deck and Luigi's Mansion
They wouldn't include two different versions of Luigi's Mansion in the same game. Also, the reason that they didn't include Double Deck is because they already chose Big Donut. Having 3 mushroom cup courses over tracks like Royal Raceway or Yoshi Valley is ridiculous, though. However, this is still by far the best retro track selection.

yet somehow included SNES Rainbow Road? Don't get me wrong, SNES Rainbow Road is awesome, but I liked how Rainbow Road was always the last course and always unique. It was the only course in SMK not to be numbered. Including a retro one is kind of like adding Master Hand to the SSB4 character roster. Just, no. No. It changes the feel of the game.
SNES Rainbow Road was a retro track in Mario Kart: Super Circuit, too. This won't be the first time that a Mario Kart has two rainbow roads.

And where did bikes go?
People hated that the bikes completely outclassed the karts in Mario Kart Wii. Even if you snaked with the karts, you wouldn't be able to keep up with wheelies unless your opponents were truly terrible.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Only a handful of courses you can have a noticeable advantage against bikes with karts, and that's only 6 courses out of 32, (Toads Factory, Coconut Mall, DK Summit, Rainbow Road, Delfino Square, and Bowser's Castle N64). >.<

UberMario

Smash Master
☯ Only a handful of courses you can have a noticeable advantage against bikes with karts, and that's only 6 courses out of 32, (Toads Factory, Coconut Mall, DK Summit, Rainbow Road, Delfino Square, and Bowser's Castle N64). >.<
Mario Circuit, Wario's Gold Mine, Daisy Circuit, Maple Treeway, Moonview Highway, Bowser's Castle, Peach Beach, GCN Mario Circuit, DK's Jungle Parkway and DK Mountain also noticeably favor inward-drifting bikes. The only tracks that I've found to be close to a dead heat between the karts and bikes are Mario Raceway, Sherbert Land and Grumble Volcano, and that is only with the top tier karts.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I don't know what the point was of adding Bikes, to be honest. At that point it's becoming just Mario Racing, not Mario Kart. I don't see how in testing they didn't realize that Bikes were simply better than Karts in almost every way.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite, because when I did play competitively a long time ago I used Daisy + Mac Bike. But, everyone used Bikes competitively, unless there was that one person that was pro enough to sport a Kart.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used Dry Bowser on the Bowser Bike

How do heavy characters fair competitively?

UberMario

Smash Master
New footage from LA has been uploaded, showing the full length of the tracks for the final four cups:

Star Cup
Special Cup
Leaf Cup
Lightning Cup

The new Rainbow Road look like it might be the hardest track in the entire series! Even Bowser's Castle 4 from MK:SC looks easier than it.

Ok, SNES Rainbow Road is harder. :p

For those that don't feel like watching the more-than-an-hour's worth of footage, here's a rundown (spoilers)

-You don't lose your items unless you fall off the track, allowing you to conserve your items after being struck by an explosion or lightning for the first time since Mario Kart: Super Circuit
-The spiny shell is about half of the size of a Bowser Shell (or about the size of a kart), it travels along the ground at a fast pace, then flies up when it's about 5 seconds away from hitting the leader
-MKWii style drifting is back, but mini-turbos are built up faster, allowing for snaking without constantly having to wobble your circle pad.
-VS Mode is no longer able to be played in single-player mode?
-The karts move really fast in this game compared to Mario Kart Wii. I'd compare it to Mario Kart 64's speed.

Star Cup:
-Piranha Plant Slide is about 30% outdoors and 70% indoors
-Wario Shipyard is a very complex course with tight, technical turns and high banking. Part of the race is in a dreary reef and the rest goes through a partially sunken ship (both inside and outside of it!)
-Neo Bowser City was nearly entirely shown in the JP's preview. The only part that they didn't incllude was a small trek through a part of a sewer or generator (hard to tell) and through a hairpin turn to the bridge. The track design is basically a very twisty and narrow figure-eight.
-Maka Wuhu/Wuhu Loop 2 goes all of the way from the suspension bridge to the top of the mountain, then you fly from near the peak to an island far away. (You'll be in the air for nearly 15 seconds) There is also an alternate route that goes THROUGH the mountain, but comes out lower in the air, and yet another route which follows the beaches for a longer period of time.

Special Cup:
-DK Pass is just like it is in the demo video shown earlier this season. The giant towers seem to be able to be activated by hitting them, causing them to blast out air at the players.
-Rosalina's Ice World is a split-level track, where about 30% is run either above the water or below it. There isn't much else to say about the track. Visually, it resembles a cross between N64 Frappe Snowland and N64 Sherbert Land.
-Bowser's Castle looks like something out of Crash Team Racing. Only about a third of the race is spent inside the castle (which itself has two different routes). The rest goes through a nearby sea and a few active volcanos.
-Rainbow Road looks intense. It's very long (unlike Wuhu Loop and Maka Loop, this does a complete loop around, ironically. To give you an idea of how long the track is, N64 Rainbow Road is possibly a little shorter.) Part of it has launch stars, blind gaps, a trip on a planet's rings and even a section on the moon!

Leaf Cup:
-64 Kalimari Desert is littered with ramps everywhere. Also, the two trains are closer together, making it more likely to get interrupted on the second crossing, rather than the first
-DS DK Pass the Mushroom and Star filled item box returns (suggesting that the Spiny Shell box in N64 Luigi Raceway may return, too!)
-GCN Daisy Cruiser replaces the engine room with an aquarium full of eels, clams and fish. Bizarrely, the pipe is still there to lead out, yet it doesn't propel the player or make them glide. The starting area now splits in half, so instead of being forced to use the right deck, you can go to the left, too.
-Maple Treeway removed the stunt ramp from the hairpin turn, forcing the player to powerslide instead of just driving forward and doing a stunt. The trampoline was replaced with a gliding section

Lightning Cup:
-Wii Koopa Cape opens up the pipe so that cheep-cheep can flow through it. The amps and water flow from Mario Kart Wii are gone
-GCN Dino Dino Jungle adds a gliding section to force the player to avoid the dinosaur's head in mid-air! The bridge is still there, but it's easier to get knocked off of it.
-DS Airship Fortress seems to fire Bullet Bills faster than in Mario Kart DS. Nothing else looks that different.
-SNES Rainbow Road keeps the invincible Thwomps from the original while also causing the track to shake when one or more crash down. The track was kept to scale (unlike most of the ports to MK Wii) so it's very easy to fall off.

D

Deleted member

Wario Shipyard, Maka Wuhu, Bowser's Castle, and Rainbow Road look fantastic, to say the least.

Top Bottom