• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
So, who is ready for tomorrow? What do you think the next big fad kart / driver fad will be? I can see the Streetle and the Villager being overused heavily.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just about all three DLC characters (Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser) and their kart sets will pollute online more than Rosalina or Morton on any given day. I expect use of Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, and Link to slightly dip for a brief period of time.

Seriously though, I aim to be the only Rosalina in most multiplayer games. <_<

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
DLC will be available at 4 AM after maintenance, like Mewtwo was.

Pretty darned hyped, but not that hyped. I'll probably wake up around then because insomnia... Hopefully not an hour before like with Mewtwo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Dry Bowser does have the same stats as Bowser, Wario, and Morton, he'll probably be abused a lot in online races.

Anyway, I'm afraid of what the 4.0 update will do to the race rating system, since the 2.0 update was really awful to it before the 3.0 update got released.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If Dry Bowser does have the same stats as Bowser, Wario, and Morton, he'll probably be abused a lot in online races.

Anyway, I'm afraid of what the 4.0 update will do to the race rating system, since the 2.0 update was really awful to it before the 3.0 update got released.
Hm. I remember that. Don't think the patch notes said anything about it though, so you shouldn't have to worry.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's still something that needs to be kept in mind, because the race rating system can be changed without "any" warning whatsoever.
The patch notes always told us ahead of time that the VR system would be changed, 2.0 included. People didn't care because they thought it was only going to add the GLA kart and stuff. We're pretty safe.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Tried out all of the DLC:

200 CC: Daaaaammmmmmn. The speed increase is too much fun for me to be doing with. I main Koopa Troopa so having him in this mode was just splendid. It’s like F-Zero + Sonic Unleashed in means of speeding through tracks. You also reach higher than ever before, almost to MK7-levels of gliding.

- Villager: CUTIE —— And also they combine expressions with poses to the cute aesthetics of others. I noticed combinations like Joy’s flower particles + Bashfulness expression and + Flourish’s star things with Pride’s pose. Also did I mention he’s a total cutie. Lemmy has a new rival in town.

- Isabelle: She’s cute too, but I think it’s undermined by her Animalese. SO incomprehensible, it sorta dumbs down her appeal. I think I recognized her go “Ha-Ha” when passing a racer though, pfft. Sweetie, but I might like VIllager more.

- Dry Bowser: Didn’t try him.

- GCN Baby Park: About what you expect, except the track’s much wider and the carnage isn’t that crazy entirely due fences around the track’s center. I think it can get really chaotic during online though. The speed-up on the track’s music by every lap is such a wacky touch.

- GBA Cheese Land: Dude, Chain Chomps. You gotta be really good at avoiding ‘em now because I think they’re huge, Like, really huge this time. The music is just complete good-feel bumped up by that second half - and the track is still twist-turning as in it’s original format, quite a bumpy ride.

The aesthetics are quite fascinating too, with those pizzas far in the background at one point of the track.

. Wild Woods: This place’s really beautiful man - but boy does the track feel short! I don’t think they rushed it with this one however, seeing how we had this track as a preview right back to November. But for what it’s worth, it really nails it’s goal by being branching, having a beautiful natural settlement, and culminating to lovely waterslide in the end. You’ve got to see it, it’s like Ozette from Tales of Symphonia and Frontier Village from Xenoblade Chronicles had sweet love with Maple Treeway with Koopa Cape on the end.

- Animal Crossing: Holy smokes, did this place deliver. I got the Summer version! All the cute little things and touches from AC-games are just everywhere for me to bask in with the Mario Kart-feel. Fruits give you boost (WHY CAN’T WE DO THIS IN OUR GAMES AGAIN?), you collect Bell Coins, most of all, this place will have you in relaxed, yet very awestruck feel. Such a beautifully crafted track that isn’t gladly that short but might have ya wanted to see more when you come back to the end. The music that popped in when I finished the race had me almost tear up and just sit back for a long moment. Could just stayed there forever.

- 3DS Neo Bowser City: Since I live in Finland, this is known as Koopa City in EU. And let me tell you, while I’m not too minding it’s here, this is still one of my more disliked tracks from Mario Kart 7 due being so constantly picked by people for being such a BORING track. I don’t understand why they like this track so much anyway: It just has nothing to keep things interesting, especially jarring by the fact that it wasted it’s potential slapping a rain on a futuristic city but not bothering to take advantage of the setting, and mostly it’s still just twists and turns after another. Boooring.

At least they kept the Koopa Clown-fan near the start line. It looks more elaborated by it’s aesthetics though which is okay.

- GBA Ribbon Road: One of my more liked tracks in Super Circuit might just be completely new track on it’s own. Holy smokes to all the new things in this track. The Mecha Koopas is a very good way to even out racers too tightly close to each other, and the Koopa Clown Jack-boxes is a great touch to one of the gliding sections. I can still recognize the track layout too, from jumps to long but slightly curving roads made of rippling ribbon. Hehheh. A toy-full, joyful, and colorful experience.

- Super Bell Subway: This track hits… home. Sunny day under a subway is nostalgic to my inner child, and the way the above portion of the track was designed just reflets that: shops, stairs with those passenger blockers, fountain near the end, arching window hall above as you start the race… the peppy music reminiscent of 70s + anime openings just tops it all up! We have a new subversion of Coconut Mall guys!

Aside from that, the track is also really clever: the roads near the train rails are lengthier but safe, but the train road is fast to maneuver, though you gotta be good at avoiding the trains. Also you can find graffiti in some parts of the underground section. This track will surely be one of my faves.

- Big Blue: Massive F-Zero GX-vibes here, daaamn. This track’s a one-way course, so there’s always something new going down. It’s very close to ocean, and even one point of the track you race upside down as the ocean’s above ya! It’s one long ride that has you try to pit many ways to get ahead of others at certain part of the track like the red/green revolving paths that can will slow you down or keep you going, the sweet waterslide section, and much more. The music is about as great as you can expect, unff. Big Saxy Blue.

Also the time when I got on the 3rd lap, I heard something so close to my childhood that squeaked before burning rubber to the final rush.

Damn Nintendo, you did amazing job again, I loved this more than DLC 1.

9.0 for this baby.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Tried Mushrooms Only, SNES Rainbow Road on 200CC
It's madness
Pretty hard to control with slick wheels
Loving 200CC nevertheless

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Tried 200cc for the first time today. Picked Mario Raceway as the first stage. Everything seemed managable st first, but during that first turn, it just kept getting faster and faster and faster... @_@

Miyamoto WASN'T lying when he said you need to brake around turns. Some turns, no amount of lining up the turn will save you. YOU WILL DRIFT OFF IF YOU DON'T BRAKE.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's an interesting mechanical change in 200cc...

By default you could brake mid-drift to slow down a bit, but only for a moment or you kill it. Now in 200cc you can brake for like a second before you lose your drift. Pretty jarring to bounce back and fourth between ccs... Actually, it might be easier to play tracks like RR(U) on 200cc then 150.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've gotten my hands on the new update, and have managed to 3-star the second DLC pack cups in Mirror Mode. I'm now at the 200cc, and have 3-starred the Mushroom Cup, Flower Cup, and Star Cup.

Interestingly, by utilizing the brake-drift mechanic, even the heavyweights are able to handle 200cc's speed insanity, though you might not want your combo's top speed to be too high.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's kinda funny...

Zelda gets one character, one vehicle, one set of tires and glider, and one track.

Animal Crossing gets three characters (:4villager: and :4villagerf: have different stats), two vehicles, one set of tires and glider, and practically four tracks. And I think it got more stamps...

Heh, not that I'm complaining.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
As a die-hard F-Zero fan, I have long resented Mario Kart for stealing the spotlight from F-Zero.

Having said that...

The Big Blue track is amazing. So many nods to the F-Zero series (I nearly squealed when the F-Zero X announcer yelled "YEAH, THE FINAL LAP!"). I almost feel optimistic about the future of F-Zero.

And let's not forget the excellent arrangement of the Big Blue theme...

Overall, very satisfied with this track. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
cheese land is cheese.

200cc has a skill ceiling, and I want tournaments now.
I still have my smashboards tournament group, just so you know.

Isabelle (Blue Falcon + Azure Roller + Paper Glider) is really nice.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Had a long online session with @ IsmaR IsmaR @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy and @ Starcutter Starcutter . GGs all of you. Loving 200cc. Always feels like you have a fighting chance, unless its Baby Park.

Really liking :4villagerf: on the Moped and all the other AC gear. Feels very comfortable and just right for 200cc. Favorite new stage is probably Wild Woods and the Super Bell Subway.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm terrible at 200cc....:crying:

but it's still fun to me! :awesome:

Had a long online session with @ IsmaR IsmaR @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy and @ Starcutter Starcutter . GGs all of you. Loving 200cc. Always feels like you have a fighting chance, unless its Baby Park.
I had no idea anyone other than IsmaR was in those races, so yay?

Might as well add @artisticgamerxl to that list cause he was there! (I don't think he's really active here, so maybe not)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've gotten most of the new cups three stared now, probably would have 'em all if I had the time. What'd you use @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy ? I've been sticking to Featherweight/Sport Bike/Roller and it's been working pretty well.
I did work my way up by doing 50cc, followed by 100cc, then 150cc, and then Mirror mode. Once I started doing the 200cc, I was able to 3-star all the cups by sticking with the following vehicle parts...
  • Body
    • Biddybuggy
    • Landship
    • Mr. Scooty
  • Tires
    • Roller
    • Button
    • Azure Roller
    • Leaf Tires
I did come close to 3-starring the Egg Cup 200cc with the Blue Falcon, but it wasn't meant to be at Mute City.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Really liking :4villagerf: on the Moped and all the other AC gear. Feels very comfortable and just right for 200cc. Favorite new stage is probably Wild Woods and the Super Bell Subway.
I feel special being called out, yay!

Some of those races were really brutal when track knowledge comes into 200cc. Mute City was a car insurance agent's breakneck fantasy. Also, love the Luigi and Isabelle support I was getting. Isabelle really flies with the P-Wing + Sponge combo.

As for my favorite new tracks, I favor Super Bell Subway because it titillates my autistic fixations the setting and layout really make the train station concept shine. Oh, and that music! Also fulfills Mario Kart 8's quota of Planes (Sunshine Airport), Trains, & Automobiles (the entire friggin' game, or Toad's Turnpike).

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Things have been awful for me online, and it's not because I've been losing a lot. Now I'm suffering from way too many disconnections, which are taking a toll on my race rating. I've never had this issue with the 3.0 update, so I'm very suspicious that the 4.0 update made the online services much worse.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I already found some hilarious looking bugs in the form of maps you can glitch out of.

~19 seconds in

IsmaR on Miiverse said:
In 200CC, you go so fast that you can glitch out of the ceiling on some tracks. On Music Park, you look like you are launching into space.
[collapse=My perspective]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Perspective of others below]
[/collapse]

There's nothing scarier than Shaq wearing a Bowser outfit literally crashing through the ceiling down on top of you.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
Things have been awful for me online, and it's not because I've been losing a lot. Now I'm suffering from way too many disconnections, which are taking a toll on my race rating. I've never had this issue with the 3.0 update, so I'm very suspicious that the 4.0 update made the online services much worse.
I haven't played online for very long, but I haven't been disconnected so far. Are you sure it's not something on your end?

Edit: Just realized that I got to 404 posts while I'm talking about disconnections.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Has anyone found any 200cc specific shortcuts yet? There's bound to be at least one out of all the courses we've got now.
The Big Blue 2nd Lap corner cut is pretty much viable on all speeds. But its almost guaranteed to land every time in 200cc. 150cc is highly likely, but a Mushroom may be needed for most setups.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Probably irrelevant to most people here, but MKDS is also now for sale on the e-Shop.

Sadly both Wi-Fi (obviously) and Multiplayer are unusable, but it's still a pretty decent buy at only $9.99.

Mission Mode, Emblem Editor, and of course a true Battle Mode (complete with built in mic functionality for inflating Balloons) are sorely missed in MK8.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't played online for very long, but I haven't been disconnected so far. Are you sure it's not something on your end?
Like I've said before, I never suffered from so many disconnections with the 3.0 update, but the 4.0 update gave me so many disconnections that I couldn't even raise my race rating much; I did gain over 100 points last night, but I lost about half of it to the disconnections.

deadcult

Smash Cadet
so my game is updated to version 4.0 with both DLC packs installed but I still do not have the 200 cc mode. is it something I have to unlock because it seems as if my game is up to date.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
so my game is updated to version 4.0 with both DLC packs installed but I still do not have the 200 cc mode. is it something I have to unlock because it seems as if my game is up to date.
You need to get 1st in all of the 150cc non-DLC cups to unlock 200cc.

Top Bottom