• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
200cc too OP pls nerf. Holy dear god baby Jesus first night playing I got a silver trophy as my BEST. :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Probably that. I typically run Rosalina/Jet Bike/Slick/Parafoil.
The Jet Bike is an instant red flag for the 200cc, since it's more difficult to brake-drift properly with the inside drifting bikes. Try using the outside drifting vehicles, even if it means using the slowest vehicle combinations in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
BRAND New Rainbow road Ultra shortcut in Mario Kart 8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgF8Xoh10I
Click that to see it.
This shortcut is amazing and saves an unbelievable amount of time. In fact this shortcut may even be possible on 150cc.
It's not really an ultra shortcut if you're only saving 2-3 seconds on the clock. Sorry, but the video owner is heavily exaggerating the ultra part there.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
This is a minor thing, but I noticed that if you manage to land on the cable cars in Toad Harbor during the last part of the course, then you can perform a trick off of them.

I dislike that the handling of the CPUs' vehicles is unnaturally high. In some courses like Donut Plains 3, they can make sharp turns while barely losing speed while a human player needs to use the brakes in order to make those turns in 200cc. The way that the CPUs turn is similar to how your vehicle is controlled after you finish the last lap.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering if we'll start seeing a shift to smaller characters with higher acceleration as online 200cc develops. As important as brake drifting has become with the higher speed, I can see characters as light as Koopa and Shy Guy with high speed builds becoming a lot more viable in the near future. They strike a great balance between being too fast to be able to make tight turns and too slow to keep up with the competition. I still don't see the babies being viable though. They will always be too slow. No matter what.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm wondering if we'll start seeing a shift to smaller characters with higher acceleration as online 200cc develops. As important as brake drifting has become with the higher speed, I can see characters as light as Koopa and Shy Guy with high speed builds becoming a lot more viable in the near future. They strike a great balance between being too fast to be able to make tight turns and to slow to keep up with the competition. I still don't see the babies being viable though. They will always be too slow. No matter what.
Well I really only like the babies when they're in the games they should be in, otherwise they're annoying as hell. I do wonder if we'll have both 150cc and 200cc options.

I'm trying to be frugal right now so I haven't bought the DLC. When you race with people online how is it? Do you only play on DLC tracks when they're activated, or a mix between DLC and regular ones?

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Well I really only like the babies when they're in the games they should be in, otherwise they're annoying as hell. I do wonder if we'll have both 150cc and 200cc options.

I'm trying to be frugal right now so I haven't bought the DLC. When you race with people online how is it? Do you only play on DLC tracks when they're activated, or a mix between DLC and regular ones?
Haven't actually played much online because my upload speed is absolute garbage, but the few times I have played I didn't see any DLC tracks used. I'm sure they'll be available if you've purchased them though. But as for the DLC itself, I'm not sure it's entirely worth it. The tracks are all pretty great, of course, but the new characters and vehicle parts as far as I can tell are nothing but model swaps of preexisting ones. The vehicles are my biggest gripe by far, there's hardly any variance to speak of statwise. You'll not be missing out on anything there by skipping the DLC. Buy it if you've got the cash to blow and you want some more great tracks to race on, but otherwise I'd save the money.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Haven't actually played much online because my upload speed is absolute garbage, but the few times I have played I didn't see any DLC tracks used. I'm sure they'll be available if you've purchased them though. But as for the DLC itself, I'm not sure it's entirely worth it. The tracks are all pretty great, of course, but the new characters and vehicle parts as far as I can tell are nothing but model swaps of preexisting ones. The vehicles are my biggest gripe by far, there's hardly any variance to speak of statwise. You'll not be missing out on anything there by skipping the DLC. Buy it if you've got the cash to blow and you want some more great tracks to race on, but otherwise I'd save the money.
See I have heard marvelous things about the DLC, especially the second pack (though I have a bais since I only really read about that one). At the same time though I owe my cable bill which is 54 dollars so prioritizing is key.

I would love to be a notable Mario Kart player, but it's somewhat synonymous with being a notable Smasher, except everything is more online based. I read an extensive guide from the MK Boards which I just joined and should post in haha, and the game is deeper than I thought. I knew some stuff but damn this guy went in

I'll settle for high VR right now haha. All these people from France have 10000 or more!!

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
You definitely see a lot more variation on 200cc in terms of characters and weight-classes. I usually go as Lemmy every time I play 200cc and seemingly do just fine.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
You definitely see a lot more variation on 200cc in terms of characters and weight-classes. I usually go as Lemmy every time I play 200cc and seemingly do just fine.
Glad to hear it, nice to know that Bowser/Wario/Morton aren't the only characters online. As a proud Shy Guy, it's nice to see some more viability.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'm wondering if we'll start seeing a shift to smaller characters with higher acceleration as online 200cc develops. As important as brake drifting has become with the higher speed, I can see characters as light as Koopa and Shy Guy with high speed builds becoming a lot more viable in the near future. They strike a great balance between being too fast to be able to make tight turns and too slow to keep up with the competition. I still don't see the babies being viable though. They will always be too slow. No matter what.
I started bringing back my Mario Kart 64 swag with Toad and the Pipe Frame and standard tires myself.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I'll probably continue to use lightweight characters. However, I might use inside-drift bikes more often in 200cc. I usually use those bikes with heavyweight characters.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Just did a quick 200cc online session with a few buds, and from what I've played, lightweights are definitely the way to go, though I will say that my original assertion was a tad off, as a lot of mid weight characters are very capable in 200cc. I do think lightweights will perform better in the long run, but midweights are definitely not bad. My current winning build is White Shy Guy/P-Wing/Slick Tires/ MKTV Parafoil.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Three starred all cups on 200cc. Bit disappointing to be honest. It wasn't terribly fun or difficult, other than a few token blue shell losses.

D

Deleted member

200cc is the best thing to happen to the franchise since Mission Mode in DS.

So good.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Even though the tracks weren't designed for it, I'm starting to prefer 200cc. All of the weight classes are now viable, and more shortcuts have opened up as a result of the higher speeds. The item mechanics still suck, but what can I say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Even though the tracks weren't designed for it, I'm starting to prefer 200cc. All of the weight classes are now viable, and more shortcuts have opened up as a result of the higher speeds. The item mechanics still suck, but what can I say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This. This a million times. If you take the time to learn the nuances of the mode and really get used to brake-drifting and learn the new lines, 200cc is the smoothest feeling thing there is. On top of that, every weight class is viable, something I don't think we've ever seen in a Mario Kart game up until this point. There's even potential for inside drifting to gain some ground as a usable option in competitive play (though that may be pushing it a bit). It's actually excellent.

Also @ LimitCrown LimitCrown , item balance is kinda jank in my opinion. I don't think there's been a single MK where you can actually get one of the best items in the entire game in 2nd place. *cough*Crazy8*cough*

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Also @ LimitCrown LimitCrown , item balance is kinda jank in my opinion. I don't think there's been a single MK where you can actually get one of the best items in the entire game in 2nd place. *cough*Crazy8*cough*
A Crazy 8 wouldn't see to be particularly helpful for a person in 2nd place. They would benefit more from triple red shells. I thought that some of the very strong items in Mario Kart 8 were weakened from how they were in the previous games.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I as well think the items will forever be silly, but 200cc is definitely the best for sure. It is so satisfying to be able to take shortcuts without immediately being slapped in the face by Lakitu. 200cc races also provide so many more variations of characters online, which makes me happy that I can now use Lemmy or Shy Guy and not be destroyed by super heavies with ease. Good upgrade, very good; but I am also in agreement that trying to drive on 200cc on some tracks is just.. no. lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
200cc can be way too chaotic sometimes. While it was designed to give lightweights a chance to shine, 200cc can "still" be dominated by the super fast heavyweight combos, if the players know precisely when to brake-drift, along with taking advantage of every shortcut that exists.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
200cc can be way too chaotic sometimes. While it was designed to give lightweights a chance to shine, 200cc can "still" be dominated by the super fast heavyweight combos, if the players know precisely when to brake-drift, along with taking advantage of every shortcut that exists.
This actually reminds me of an argument a friend of mine and I were having about Smash, I think it applies here as well. You seem to be saying that you can use max speed builds in 200cc and get good results, it just takes greater knowledge and understanding of the game. You're correct. This would be like picking anyone not called Fox or Falco a mid-tier to use at a high level over the top 8 characters in Melee. You can get good results, but it takes a lot of experience and knowledge. But at the same time, you could pick a lightweight character that is significantly easier to use (and arguably better in 200cc) and get the same if not usually better results. This would be like picking Sheik or Marth, characters that are considered better and easier to use than most characters. It takes a bit less understanding of the game, but you can get better results using them than say Yoshi for example. That's the reason we don't ever really see serious low/mid tier mains in Smash, and it's very likely the reason we'll never see top Mario Kart 8 players using max speed builds in 200cc.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I still have the tournament group (which no one still joined).

1845 - 5887 - 0876 (Global)

I changed it up, and it'll now be every Saturday and Sunday.
  • 200cc
  • All Tracks
  • No Limit
I'm still going for tournaments if players are up for it.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for asking such a n00b-ish question, but is there an MK7 community for Smashboards?
I don't believe so. This is the overarching Mario Kart thread, there isn't one for every game. So in a way, this is the MK7 community. If anything you'll want to head over to MKBoards, they're an online community like us, only they specialize in Mario Kart not Smash.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
I don't believe so. This is the overarching Mario Kart thread, there isn't one for every game. So in a way, this is the MK7 community. If anything you'll want to head over to MKBoards, they're an online community like us, only they specialize in Mario Kart not Smash.
Thanks, but that's not what I meant.
I phrased that question poorly. Sorry...
In the game, you can create/join communities. I was wondering if there was an in-game MK7 community for members of Smashboards.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I got 3 stars on all cups on 200cc not too long ago. All I can say is that I ain't doing that **** again.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

It's likely nobody will see this and it's likely this ain't real, but it'd be pretty cool if it was.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It's likely nobody will see this and it's likely this ain't real, but it'd be pretty cool if it was.
Unless Nintendo confirms this, treat it as being fake. The most obvious red card is the angling of the character mugshots, which doesn't exactly match with the way the other character mugshots are handled.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Unless Nintendo confirms this, treat it as being fake. The most obvious red card is the angling of the character mugshots, which doesn't exactly match with the way the other character mugshots are handled.
I wouldn't know any issues with the mugshots.

Keep in mind this is supposedly a shot from a Direct, not the game itself. Though that's kind of a red flag.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't know any issues with the mugshots.

Keep in mind this is supposedly a shot from a Direct, not the game itself. Though that's kind of a red flag.
Ever since Iwata passed away, we have not received any announcements of an upcoming Nintendo Direct. After all, Iwata was the main host of the past Nintendo Directs, and it just won't feel the same without him.

Top Bottom