• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Again? Yeah, they're available from now until release, I imagine the dual-pack deal is only until November, maybe it will continue after.

You get the alternate colours as soon as you pre-order.
Thanks for responding so fast holy crap haha!!

And the reason I asked about the DLC preorders is because I heard they sold out. Which makes a lot of sense </sarcasm>

R0Y

Smash Master
Thanks for responding so fast holy crap haha!!

And the reason I asked about the DLC preorders is because I heard they sold out. Which makes a lot of sense </sarcasm>
Ah, that was just the DLC codes off the Nintendo UK site. It's available on the eShop permanently, they probably just had a set allocation of codes for the UK site, that's all. Even the British eShop should be fine.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Two things: Are DLC preorders available again?
Do you only get the alternate colors if you preorder, or do they come with the DLC when it is released (in other words, are they exlcusively for preorders or just an early sample of the full DLC)?
You get the alternate colours if you own both upcoming packs on your account. There is a bundle to make that easier.

I reckon the Yoshis and Shy Guys were added as part of the mandatory patch today, but having the the unlock keys for the upcoming packs just unlocks the Yoshis and Shy Guys too. The actual content of the upcoming DLC will be added through 1GB mandatory patches.

In this sense, the Yoshis and Shy Guys aren't really pre-order bonuses, more like lock-on content.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So a part of this Mario Kart update is that now you can upload full races to youtube.

Nice Nintendo.

Edit: Dang I need to learn to fact check.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I went on a screenshot spree earlier today. Lots of Rosalina being sexy, Luigi Death Stares, Wario being Wario, and Mario posing for the box art (I guess, I just wanted to take pictures of him in the GLA :p):

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My share of Mercedes-Benz shots...

On an additional note, based on the complaints that I've been seeing at mariokartwii.com, it seems that Mario Kart 8's online race system has been made worse than before the update.

Nintendo promised increased stability, and yet it seems that online races are actually "less" stable. And it seems that Mario Kart Wii's VR system is rearing its ugly head again, as it appears that you literally have to finish in 1st place, or else you'll always be losing race rating points.

Keep note that I haven't done any post-update online races yet.

Last edited:

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
So what do you guys think are the chances that we will get more DLC beyond the Animal Crossing and Zelda packs? It seems they're using a completed version of the Yoshi Egg Icon for one of the new cups, so there is a chance the other icons the hackers found could be used for the future.
On an additional note, based on the complaints that I've been seeing at mariokartwii.com, it seems that Mario Kart 8's online race system has been made worse than before the update.

Nintendo promised increased stability, and yet it seems that online races are actually "less" stable. And it seems that Mario Kart Wii's VR system is rearing its ugly head again, as it appears that you literally have to finish in 1st place, or else you'll always be losing race rating points.

I only did a couple of races online, so far. I experienced a lot less lag than I ever have before (but that doesn't change that fact that I got destroyed :estatic:).

R0Y

Smash Master
My share of Mercedes-Benz shots...

In battle mode I've noticed far, far, far fewer item hits that don't register, make of that what you will.

I think the stability is about the same and it's people jumping to conclusions because they're still getting disconnected.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Is online connection stability a big problem for MK8? I ask because I very, very rarely had a problem with MKWii but with MK8 I get disconnected all the bloody time and it's very, very annoying - not only because of all the lost rating points but also because of my rather disappointing Win/Loss ratio (getting disconnected from a race of 12 adds a whopping 10 points onto your Loss counter).

Don't even get me started on the number of times I've fired off a perfectly aimed Green Shell in Battle Mode only to not have it register despite hitting my target...

On another note, HURRAY FOR AN ON SCREEN MAP

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The stability as a whole seems to be better, but I did encounter one soft freeze today.

Still having the issue where sometimes, when I hit someone with an item, they do the tumble animation, but still move at a normal pace as if I never hit them.

But the new (or old, I guess, since it's from MKWii) VR system is atrocious.

Like before, you get much better VR from playing with people of equal or higher VR. Playing with people of lower VR gets you less, and the penalty for losing is higher. However, with the update, they have made the VR system outright punish you for playing with people with lower VR at all, you HAVE to get first (or second, if you're lucky) to gain ANY VR. I've placed 7th on occasion, and would lose over 20 VR, yet I'll watch the person in 9th earn nearly the same amount. It's really unbalanced. I played for quite a while today and ended up with less VR than I started the day with, even though I placed highly in most races.

And this wouldn't be a big issue if they just added a "Search for Players with Similar or Higher VR" option, but they still haven't done that. I keep being put into lobbies where most people have 4,000 VR or lower, while I'm at over 8,000.

I was intending to reach 10,000 VR before giving the game a break until the DLC hits, but I'm not sure if I'll bother anymore. :\

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So there's no purple Yoshi or Shy Guy. Welp no reason to buy anything right now then...

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm HYPE. I'm HYPE.

Bought the bundle and DLC I'm SOOOOO PUUUUMPED.

Edit: Wait, not hyped. Kirby's not in there.

Double edit:

This is going to be my new signature soon.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The stability as a whole seems to be better, but I did encounter one soft freeze today.

Still having the issue where sometimes, when I hit someone with an item, they do the tumble animation, but still move at a normal pace as if I never hit them.

But the new (or old, I guess, since it's from MKWii) VR system is atrocious.

Like before, you get much better VR from playing with people of equal or higher VR. Playing with people of lower VR gets you less, and the penalty for losing is higher. However, with the update, they have made the VR system outright punish you for playing with people with lower VR at all, you HAVE to get first (or second, if you're lucky) to gain ANY VR. I've placed 7th on occasion, and would lose over 20 VR, yet I'll watch the person in 9th earn nearly the same amount. It's really unbalanced. I played for quite a while today and ended up with less VR than I started the day with, even though I placed highly in most races.

And this wouldn't be a big issue if they just added a "Search for Players with Similar or Higher VR" option, but they still haven't done that. I keep being put into lobbies where most people have 4,000 VR or lower, while I'm at over 8,000.

I was intending to reach 10,000 VR before giving the game a break until the DLC hits, but I'm not sure if I'll bother anymore. :\

Um yeah, that tumble thing legit happens to me all the time. I just hit you slow the **** down

I don't see the need for super punish heavy VR. If anything, that kind of discourages online play because of a faulty risk-reward scale. I think the previous system worked better, if I lost in a bad place my VR didn't get gouged. Note that I also haven't gotten the update yet so I don't know the full intensity of it

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last I've checked, the update is mandatory if you want to continue racing online; the update also increases the maximum race and battle rating from "9999", to "99999".

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well updates are always required to play any game online in every single game ever made that has had patches.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Bought the Bundle. We all already know that other companies will copy Nintendo and start a DLC Pre-Order trend, I already have a few bad ideas:

Pre-Order the overpriced Assassin's Creed 5 Weapon pack and get a laser gun for free (Overpriced at $5 value)
Pre-Order the grossly overpriced Elder Scrolls 6 DLC and get free Horse Armor
Pre-Order every single *current* Call of Duty DLC pack that will ever exist and get *Previous CoD game* for free (DLC sold seperately)
Pre-Order the Pop Culture Reference that won't age poorly DLC and get half off on Dubstep/****step gun

Anyways, I'm going to enjoy Orange Yoshi, don't know why people want purple so much other then "I can't have it? I WANNIT"

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I hope the karts include new gliders and wheels.
Even if they don't we're already getting a great value for $12 plus we get free Mercedes Benz DLC (Don't care if people hate it, it's free DLC which is becoming rare) and who knows, if Mario Kart 8 DLC helps to push games and consoles, Nintendo may make more great bundles like this with pre-order incentives and maybe more free DLC (Again I don't care if it makes sense, freeeeeeee)

Shog

Smash Ace
Pink Yoshi and Green Shy Guy Masterrace and nostalgia for Yoshi story.
But damn, Orange Guy/Yoshi is aaamazing. Totally worth it. I can't wait for the new courses :)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I just don't want Nintendo to announce a game, and then announce DLC before its release. As long as they stick to their tried and true method of making complete games with DLC coming afterward, I'll be perfectly content.

By the way, I appear to be one of the few who seem to like the Mercedes-Benz DLC. I do like a Mercedez brand car, so I guess bias plays a little bit of a role in this.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not much of a car nut but I totally dig the Mercedes DLC. I especially love how they light up in anti-gravity sections, specifically with the GLA and how it's logo lights up. And the Sports Coupé and some of the bikes already looked quite realistic anyway so it's not that unusual to have a realistic looking vehicle in the game. And putting Rosalina in the GLA and giving it Monster wheels turns her into the soccer mom to end all soccer moms! :p

Though I've been attached to the inside drifting bikes for a while now so I don't really use the Mercedes cars, but I do like how they look and don't mind seeing them online at all.

I just don't want Nintendo to announce a game, and then announce DLC before its release. As long as they stick to their tried and true method of making complete games with DLC coming afterward, I'll be perfectly content.
They're sort of doing this with Hyrule Warriors, as it's getting a Day One patch in the West that adds a mode and some other things, but for Japanese gamers, it's a free piece of post-release content. It fixes bugs too though.

In general, I don't mind getting DLC post release, even if it's announced before release. It really just depends on how it's done. For games like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and maybe even Smash Bros, I don't mind them going all out with it. Those games have the potential to be mini content platforms after the initial release, especially with Amiibo integration too.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The only one I like is the one that is neither the GLA nor the classic one. I forget the name.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone noticed that once in a while, the highlights that you upload onto YouTube may goof up with the sound?

At about 0:47, the sound on the following video suddenly disappears for a brief moment. Maybe it's some sort of bug with the upload process.

D

Deleted member

Pre-ordered the DLC as soon as it was available, and have been using nothing but Orange Yoshi since then. My Mario Kart skills are a bit rusty, though.
On another note I'm almost at 5000 VR, probably way below most of you but it's been a while since I played Mario Kart a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Has anyone noticed that once in a while, the highlights that you upload onto YouTube may goof up with the sound?
Its a common problem with YouTube and it happens to all kinds of videos on occasion. Just try a reupload if you really want it fixed.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Has anyone experienced issues with the game freezing before starting a race (not online) and receiving the error code 150-1031 Disc cannot be read, it may be dirty? Every time I tried to start a grand prix today the game would freeze and give me that error code and message even though my disc is practically brand new in condition no scratches or smudges whatsoever. I never had this problem with the game before (Something to do with the most recent update maybe? I also just recently pre-ordered the DLC packs)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone experienced issues with the game freezing before starting a race (not online) and receiving the error code 150-1031 Disc cannot be read, it may be dirty? Every time I tried to start a grand prix today the game would freeze and give me that error code and message even though my disc is practically brand new in condition no scratches or smudges whatsoever. I never had this problem with the game before (Something to do with the most recent update maybe? I also just recently pre-ordered the DLC packs)
There's always the possibility that something has gone wrong with your Wii U's disc drive.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Very odd, because my Mario Kart 8 copy is still working fine.
I don't think the problem has anything to do with my game disc, like I said it's in pristine condition I'm thinking it's either some weird issue with the latest update or maybe Wii U problems. I read somewhere online that using an external HD could cause problems but I pretty much have to use one seeing as I have the basic 8GB Wii U

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I made a vehicle part review a couple weeks ago at the mariokartwii.com website, but I never did show it here. Keep note that the following review was made before the Mercedes-Benz parts were released.

Vehicle Bodies

Group 1
Standard Kart
Cat Cruiser
Prancer
Sneeker
The Duke
Teddy Buggy

All Stats: 0

The vehicle bodies in this group are merely aesthetic, as they don't affect your combo's stats at all. You can still use the wheels and gliders to improve their statistics though.

Group 2
Pipe Frame
Standard Bike
Flame Rider
Varmint
Wild Wiggler

Ground Speed: 0
Water Speed: +0.25
Air Speed: +0.25
Anti-Gravity Speed: -0.25
Acceleration: +0.25
Weight: -0.25
Ground Handling: +0.5
Water Handling: +0.5
Air Handling: +0.5
Anti-Gravity Handling: +0.25
Traction: -0.5
Mini-Turbo: +0.25

The vehicle bodies in this body group offer a good acceleration and handling boost without having a negative impact on ground speed. In fact, the only cons that this body group has are very negligible. As such, these bodies can be used to make up for the weaknesses that the wheel parts might have.

Because this body group has a large amount of pros, it's one of the best body groups in the game. As a result, it's quite friendly towards all the weight classes.

Group 3
Mach 8
Circuit Special
Sports Coupe
Gold Standard

Ground Speed: +0.5
Water Speed: +0.25
Air Speed: +0.5
Anti-Gravity Speed: +0.25
Acceleration: -0.25
Weight: +0.25
Ground Handling: 0
Water Handling: 0
Air Handling: 0
Anti-Gravity Handling: -0.25
Traction: -1
Mini-Turbo: -0.5

This is the only vehicle body group to offer a positive ground speed boost. In fact, every vehicle body in this group is a kart. The speed increase that these bodies offer can help the lightweights improve their below average speed stats, but the lack of handling boosts does mean that the heavier characters might have a harder time using these bodies properly without the right wheels.

Group 4
Steel Driver
Tri-Speeder
Badwagon
Standard ATV

Water Speed: +0.5
Air Speed: 0
Acceleration: -0.5
Weight: +0.5
Ground Handling: -0.5
Water Handling: +0.75
Air Handling: -0.25
Anti-Gravity Handling: -0.75
Traction: +0.5
Mini-Turbo: -0.75

This is a very odd vehicle body group, as it boosts weight and traction, at the expense of acceleration, along with a negative impact on most handling stats. However, ground speed doesn't get any boosts at all. As a result, this body group is only really meant to be used by the heavyweight characters.

Interestingly, despite the lack of a ground speed boost, these vehicle bodies are among the best in the underwater department, offering a positive boost to water speed and water handling. As such, they're quite good for any tracks that involve underwater racing.

Anyway, while this is one of the worst vehicle body groups in the game, stat-wise, it does have some pros that are quite useful when you're using the right wheels and/or gliders.

Group 5
Biddybuggy
Landship
Mr. Scooty

Ground Speed: -0.75
Water Speed: +0.5
Anti-Gravity Speed: -1
Acceleration: +1.25
Weight: -0.5
Ground Handling: +0.5
Air Handling: +0.75
Anti-Gravity Handling: 0
Traction: -0.25
Mini-Turbo: +1

This body group offers the best acceleration boost, but at the same time, the lowest ground speed boost. While the negative impact on ground speed might seem bad, these vehicle bodies offer a lot of pros to make up for that flaw. And since the acceleration boost is quite high, even the heavyweights can have above average acceleration with the proper wheels and/or gliders, and they'll still have around average speed.

Overall, these vehicle bodies are friendly for all the weight classes, and are useful for anyone who's acceleration reliant. But be advised that they're also the lightest bodies in the game, making them pretty easy to ram off the track with a heavier vehicle combo.

Group 6
Comet
Sport Bike
Jet Bike
Yoshi Bike

Water Speed: 0
Air Speed: 0
Acceleration: +0.75
Ground Handling: +0.75
Air Handling: +0.75
Anti-Gravity Handling: +0.5
Traction: -1.25
Mini-Turbo: +0.5

This vehicle body group is unique in that it only consists of bike bodies. But what makes these bikes different from the ones from the other body groups is that they can perform inside drifting. They also offer the best handling boosts, along with the best acceleration boost that doesn't have a negative impact on ground speed. However, they also have the worst traction boost in the game.

Now, because these bikes can drift inside, trying to take sharp turns with them can potentially be more difficult than with the other body groups; this is especially true when the turns are circular, or the terrain is very slippery. They also can't perform the Fire Hopping trick, but because their acceleration boost is good, even the heavyweights can achieve above average acceleration with the right wheels and/or gliders.

Overall, these inside drifting bikes can be useful in the right hands, but knowing when to drift will be very vital if you want to win with them.

Vehicle Wheels

Group 1
Standard
Off-Road
Blue Standard
Retro Off-Road

Much like the vehicle bodies, these wheels are mostly for aesthetic purposes. However, unlike with the aesthetic bodies, the aesthetic wheels are a bit more usable in that you can use them over the other wheel groups if you're trying to maintain a tolerable acceleration stat without affecting ground speed.

Group 2
Monster
Hot Monster

Water Speed: -0.5
Air Speed: -0.5
Anti-Gravity Speed: 0
Ground Handling: -0.75
Water Handling: -0.75
Air Handling: -0.75
Anti-Gravity Handling: -0.75
Traction: +0.75
Mini-Turbo: 0

In Mario Kart 7, the Monster (along with the Red Monster) really lived up to its name with its high speed, weight, and off-road stats. However, that fame and glory has been stripped away for Mario Kart 8.

The wheels in this group are among the worst in the game, as they have way more cons than pros. This includes a negative impact on all the handling stats, along with a negative impact on water speed, air speed, and acceleration. And to make matters worse, no ground speed boost. Also, the traction stat is often considered to be expendable, meaning that the only real pro that these wheels have are their weight boost.

Simply put, these wheels should probably be avoided if you're not a racing expert.

Group 3
Roller
Button
Azure Roller

Ground Speed: -0.5
Anti-Gravity Speed: -0.5
Acceleration: +1
Weight: -0.5
Ground Handling: +0.25
Water Handling: +0.25
Air Handling: +0.25
Traction: -0.25
Mini-Turbo: +1.5

Meet the kings of acceleration for this wheel group. The wheels in this group are probably one of the best, as they offer a strong acceleration boost, along with boosting all the handling stats a little. They also don't affect water speed in a negative way, making them ideal for underwater racing.

Simply put, these wheels are the key to helping the heavyweights with their acceleration issues. But since they also hinder ground speed and weight, players will need to be aware of any heavier combos that may try to ram them off the track.

Group 4
Slim
Crimson Slim

Ground Speed: +0.25
Water Speed: -0.25
Weight: 0
Ground Handling: +0.25
Water Handling: +0.25

The wheels in this group are one of the best if you want that speed boost. Not only do these wheels offer a small boost to ground speed, but they also boost all the handling stats a little. Water speed does take a small drop, however, but that's easily negated if the vehicle bodies that they're paired with boost water speed.

If you want speed, but are weary of handling as well, these wheels can handle the job.

Group 5
Slick
Cyber Slick

Ground Speed: +0.5
Water Speed: -1
Anti-Gravity Speed: +0.5
Weight: +0.25
Traction: -1

Back in the days of Mario Kart 7, the Slick wheels were very hard to use, thanks to their bad handling and off-road stats. Mario Kart 8, however, has made some improvements to them.

The wheels in this group offer the best possible ground speed boost, along with boosting air speed and anti-gravity speed. However, they don't affect handling at all, which could be a problem if the vehicle bodies that they're paired with have no handling boosts either. Another flaw that these wheels have is that they're among the worst when it comes to water speed. As a result, they're not as efficient as the other speed-oriented wheels.

Group 6
Metal
Gold Tires

Ground Speed: +0.25
Water Speed: -0.25
Mini-Turbo: 0

If you want speed, but are also weary of weight, these wheels are your answer. However, they also have one of the worst acceleration boosts in the game, and don't affect any of the handling stats. Water speed also takes a small drop, but that's negated if the vehicle bodies that they're paired with have a positive water speed boost.

Overall, these wheels are pretty good, but are not friendly towards those who are focusing on tolerable acceleration for their combos.

Group 7
Sponge
Wood
Cushion

Ground Speed: -0.25
Water Speed: -1
Ground Handling: -0.25
Water Handling: -0.5
Anti-Gravity Handling: -0.25
Traction: +0.5
Mini-Turbo: +0.75

These wheels are quite odd in that their stat distribution is out of the ordinary. They hinder ground speed and ground handling, and yet acceleration and traction get a positive boost. However, the wheels in this group have more cons than pros, which does include being among the worst when it comes to water speed.

Simply put, while this wheel group may seem friendly towards acceleration, in the long run, it's basically one of the worst wheel groups in the game. Of course, this group is a tad better than that of wheel group 2.

Vehicle Gliders

Group 1
Super Glider
Wario Wing
Waddle Wing
Plane Glider
Gold Glider

These gliders are simply here for aesthetic purposes, but they're still usable if you don't want to affect any stats in a negative way.

Group 2
Cloud Glider
Peach Parasol
Parachute
Parafoil
Flower Glider
Bowser Kite
MKTV Parafoil

Air Speed: -0.25
Anti-Gravity Speed: 0
Traction: 0

Unlike in Mario Kart 7, changing gliders in Mario Kart 8 won't affect your combo's stats too much. But since the gliders in this group do boost acceleration without affecting speed, they can help raise your combo's acceleration a bit.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Today, somebody stole my Starman from my Super 8 powerup. And instead of coming 2nd in an online race on the GBA Mario Circuit course, I came 4th. What's the big deal you ask? This happened after I crossed the finish line (race had ended). The game took over the controls since the race was finished and as I was approaching the first corner someone hit me with a Green Shell, causing two people to go past me whilst the online results were attempting to tally up. Result? I drop two places.

Much sadness :(

Top Bottom