• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Mario Kart SGP

Who should be added next?

• Birdo

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Wart

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Job 31:
I'll re-submit this for the new Ghost Track:

1618956798343.png
1618956843859.png

(Reference images above)

Ectoplasmalot:
An old hybrid between an abandoned village and a graveyard, with a large mausoleum serving as the "castle". 3/4 of the layout takes place in the village itself whereas the remaining quarter takes place in the castle-mausoleum. There is a sense of verticality to this, as by driving into some gravestones in the road, you can descend underground and continue the racing in an underground copy of the above-ground track. In the sides of the track, undead enemies such as Dry Bones, Ghosts, and of course Boos spectate the match, with a majority of the ghosts wearing medieval-era clothing, including some in suits of armor. If King Boo himself isn't racing, you can see him floating above the track, spectating the race and reacting based on what happens. He'll revel in schadenfreude when a racer gets hit with an item, shake in excitement when the final lap is initiated, and even fly down to applaud the winner.
As for the retro Ghost track...

1624040370302.png

Boo Lake:

This is another track from Mario Kart Super Circuit, much like the Broken Pier, but when it comes to aesthetics...there aren't any Boos or Lakes to be seen. So I suggest this come back, but taking place in some sort of haunted "park square" going around an actual lake with various ghost animals (Maybe even Polterpup too) and crooked trees.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Scuttle Mansion

An abandoned mansion infested by Scuttlebugs and literal dust bunnies. You race at their size. This is a 3-lap course like 3DS Rainbow Road. You will drive across shattered chandeliers, sofas with exposed springs, a grimey kitchen sink and all sorts of dusty places like that.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Job 31: Jackoland

A track taking place at dusk in a small rustic village next to a pumpkin farm. The village has decorations on its mushroom houses that are not unlike those seen during Halloween, with Jack-O’-Lanterns, bats, and cobwebs sprinkled about the scenery. The town residents are Halloween-themed, with Dry Bones, Peepas, and ghosts from Luigi's Mansion making an appearance. There are also a few originally designed pumpkin and witch residents.

You start in the town square and make your way down the dirt road as you race between mushroom houses on either side. You eventually reach a barn, and driving through it leads to farmland with several pumpkins growing in it. You can drive through the smaller ones to break them for coins. Jack-O’-Goombas and Splunkins hide among the normal pumpkins and spin out anyone who touches them, so keep a watchful eye.

1624152914527.jpeg

Eventually the pumpkins increase in size to the point where they tower over you. Some are hollowed out, allowing you to drive through them and do a trick as you exit it.

pumpkin1.png

One last ginormous Jack-o’-Lantern is placed at the end of the track, with a twisting tunnel hollowed through it (brief Anti-grav section). The racers fly out of the pumpkin and... back into the town square?

One thing to note is that this map essentially screen wraps; even though you're driving out of town and end up far away from it, the giant pumpkin inexplicably spits you out back at the starting line in the town to start the next lap. I feel like this unusual course looping adds to the mystery of the track; perhaps the residents possess supernatural powers that we are unaware of?

This is a very general layout that I only made to illustrate my point.

pumpkin2.png

EDIT: Just remembered that we also are submitting retro Ghost tracks, but I'll abstain as I have no good ideas.
Come to think of it... do we even need another ghost track? We literally added Broken Pier a while ago which seems to fit that role perfectly.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Come to think of it... do we even need another ghost track? We literally added Broken Pier a while ago which seems to fit that role perfectly.
The reason we are doing a second ghost track is to tie in with our 2 new characters, and there are enough haunted or ghost themed tracks throughout the series.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The reason we are doing a second ghost track is to tie in with our 2 new characters, and there are enough haunted or ghost themed tracks throughout the series.
I would argue a ghost track isn't necessary for these characters - both are spooky, sure, but neither are ghosts or have any affiliation with them. Vivian is more just a vague magical creature who just so happens to have a ghostly tail, and Ashley has more ties to demons and skeletons than ghosts.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I would argue a ghost track isn't necessary for these characters - both are spooky, sure, but neither are ghosts or have any affiliation with them. Vivian is more just a vague magical creature who just so happens to have a ghostly tail, and Ashley has more ties to demons and skeletons than ghosts.
I used the word ghost as a general Term for Spooky or Haunted tracks,

If everyone would rather have a different retro track prompt It can be changed.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Job 31 Part 2: Daisy Circuit

One of the most mellow courses in the series. The sunset-illuminated buildings would look amazing on modern hardware! It's an all-round solid track.

EDIT:
Job 31 Voting: Scuttle Mansion

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job 31 Part 2:
Wario's Galleon

Now, I think about it, couldn't this have also qualified as a ghost track? Either way this course would be mostly the same except: 1. while half of the capsized ships are still Wario's property, some have Captain Syrup's flags - making this track seemingly the result of a sea battle gone horribly (but non-leathaly) wrong, and 2. the music doesn't grate your ears any more.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
View attachment 317906
Job 27: POW Block

In Mario Kart Wii, it was an item that damaged all racers ahead of you and slowed them down. POW Blocks has been the earliest-appearing Mario thing, with it appearing in Mario Bros. POW Blocks would be balanced out here as opposed to in Wii by virtue of not affecting items that are airborne from ramp tricks or Gliding.
Resubmitting this Retro Item for Job 32.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Job 11: Fake Item Box
...With some modifications. I want to repurpose this item to make it live up to it's name.

These updated FIB's actually, y'know, look like item boxes. The differences between real and fake are more subtle; gone are the ugly red Item Boxes that stick out like a sore thumb on the racetrack. Instead, Fake Item boxes only differ in that they have an upside-down question mark and don't spin.

But wait! There's more!

So, y'know how you often see FIB's strewn around the course and NOT near the real rows of item boxes? Yeah, nobody's falling for a lone item box in the middle of the track, no matter how authentic it looks. And even if you do decide to drop it near an actual row, the overlap of boxes will still be an obvious giveaway.

So for this new version, dropping this item near an actual row of item boxes will make it snap into the position the closest box to you, effectively replacing that real item box with a fake! This should make it much trickier for foes to tell what's real and what's not!
Submitting this again. I know this is like the second time in a row, but our current standard item roster is pretty solid and I'm not sure what else could be added without diluting its quality.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
The activity on this thread seems to have died down a bit, which is a darn shame. However, the fact that we were able to get it this far is pretty awesome. I'll gladly stick around until the very end, this is my favorite thread on Smashboards and hopefully it'll stay active for a long time.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The activity on this thread seems to have died down a bit, which is a darn shame. However, the fact that we were able to get it this far is pretty awesome. I'll gladly stick around until the very end, this is my favorite thread on Smashboards and hopefully it'll stay active for a long time.
Agreed. I may try to bump it on status posts at some point, having only about 4 users in the thread is a damn shame.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Since the roster picture hasn’t been updated in a while with new characters, I made one if you want to use it.
056AE41F-61DD-4E66-B56A-72C91C5AF384.png

I would have added the clone characters, but there isn’t a Game & Watch Mario icon yet.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Since the roster picture hasn’t been updated in a while with new characters, I made one if you want to use it.
View attachment 320961
I would have added the clone characters, but there isn’t a Game & Watch Mario icon yet.
Here's a render that could work. It's from Oil Panic and not one of the Mario games, but it does work to represent G&W Mario given the big nose, hat, and oil bottle resembling the cement from Mario's Cement Factory. Making icons for the roster maker isn't too difficult if you've got the right tools - use the Remove BG website to get rid of the white box, shrink the render in Paint.net to fit the template (there's one provided in the files), then handle the text in MS Paint - the template also includes letters so unless it's a long name you can just copy and paste. Shortening Game & Watch Mario to just "G&W Mario" should do the trick.
23E63360-89A3-4B70-B75C-B46BB3EE2F22.jpeg

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Here's a render that could work. It's from Oil Panic and not one of the Mario games, but it does work to represent G&W Mario given the big nose, hat, and oil bottle resembling the cement from Mario's Cement Factory. Making icons for the roster maker isn't too difficult if you've got the right tools - shrink the render in Paint.net to fit the template (there's one provided in the files), then handle the text in MS Paint - the template also includes letters so unless it's a long name you can just copy and paste. Shortening Game & Watch Mario to just "G&W Mario" should do the trick.
View attachment 320963
I’ll give it a try. It will take some time though, because my computer is really really slow.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Something I've been thinking lately: I know we said guests will be saved for DLC, but maybe when we're nearing the end of the base game's dev cycle we could add a single base game guest racer, but instead of being someone big like Link or Sonic, it's a niche; mostly-forgotten; retro; or otherwise quirky/silly Nintendo character a la ROB?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Job 32 results

Gorgonzales Gorgonzales Item Box and GolisoPower GolisoPower 's POW Block will be our last 2 retro items,

Job 33

Submit a Special Item that is for 2 or more characters,

These are the characters that don't have a special item
-Mario
-Peach
-Daisy
-Yoshi
-Toadette
-Waluigi
-Dixie Kong
-Cappy

Kart, Glider, Wheel and Driver Bio Submissions are now open!
Do you mean the item must be shared by two drivers, or that we should submit more than one item? While I'm all for more shared items to prevent clutter, the former would be a little challenging since most of the characters in this list don't have much in common with one another.

Or are we able to take a special item already used by one character not on the list and also give it another character on this list?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Do you mean the item must be shared by two drivers, or that we should submit more than one item? While I'm all for more shared items to prevent clutter, the former would be a little challenging since most of the characters in this list don't have much in common with one another.
Initially it was the former, I realized how hard it would be and I've changed the job to read "Submit 1 or 2 special items" so it is the latter.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Some driver bios:

"Vivian is a good friend of an alternate Mario counterpart, she at one point worked with her nasty big sisters to stop Mario but eventually joined his side. Vivian and her sisters have since made up and no longer squabble. Vivian has incredible powers like melting into the shadow and creating fire. This is her first time at a Mario Sports event so she'd prefer to stay out of the spotlight."

"Wario is the greediest guy in the Mushroom Kingdom - whether he's pushing out shovelware or stealing pirates' gold, he'll do anything for a quick buck. His hygeine is lacking (the only reason his teeth are so clean is because he picks out and eats individual bacteria, ew!) and he can get violent at the most inconvenient times, but he has a heart - albeit a very small one - and some close friends who are willing to put up with his delinquency... when he's not underpaying them at least."

"Waluigi is a crafty guy who cheats at every sport he can. He's not exactly as fowl a player as Wario (who his relationship to is unknown) but is much more sneaky and subtle in his tricks. He doesn't have very good control of his emotions, so he doesn't take losing well - matter of fact, he doesn't take winning well either, you can call him a "sore winner". Nobody really knows what he's up to when he's not sporting or scheming."

"King K. Rool is Donkey Kong's worst enemy and a crocodile of many faces - whether he's stealing bananas or trying to blow up the entire jungle he's always got some ridiculous, elaborate disguise and weapons themed around it. He hasn't had many clashes with the Kong clan lately - have the monkey buddies made peace with the cold-blooded monarch, or has he been preparing a secret counterattack for 2 decades going? That's up to your imagination... for now!"

I was gonna submit Rambi as an item for Dixie, but honestly I think he could be his own racer. I'll certainly try to submit some items. I have my eyes set on Daisy and Waluigi currently.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Job 33:
Fire Flower (Used by Mario)

Figured it'd be best to get this one out of the way now. The Fire Flower would work as it does in Double Dash; launching 5 fireballs at once to wreak havoc upon the track!

I also feel like this special item could conveniently be assigned to other potential characters down the line with similar elemental abilities (e.g. Fire Bro, Piranha Plant, etc).

Power Moon (Used by Cappy)

In Super Mario Odyssey, Power Moons are used to power up the Odyssey, allowing it to set sail. This would be fun to replicate in Mario Kart!

When this item is used, your kart jumps high up and your glider automatically activates at the peak of the jump. When things get a little too hectic on the ground, just use this to soar above the chaos!

Top Bottom