• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Pretty sure Zenyou said that it can viably combo from a down throw at decently high percentages against characters like Sheik. So it's not totally unviable.
That's not really an edgeguard. That's a stage dependent KO confirm.

Actually running offstage to F-air someone isn't going to work against a good player that knows the matchup.
So Anti just got those kills at BH5 by merit of his opponents not knowing the MU?
I found that it starts to work around 80% and works until 120% (for me anyway), but if you just know how the angle of the spike works, you don't have to be right up on the edge even, just downthrow and immediately fullhop and buffer F-air while doing it, and you can 90% of the time catch them while they're still in hitstun for the spike. Almost feels like a true combo, it's unreal.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I actually played a good Fox and...I think it's bad. Fox players just have to be more precise about their juggles.

It's favorable for Mario if they don't know how to frame trap because then you can shield all day and body him with grab combos and B-throw. But once they know how to convert random hits into generic juggles leading into autopilot frametraps...Fox clearly comes out ahead especially since he's better in neutral.

Fox is an insanely stupid character...though he's still terrible if he's at a stock deficit.

Ryu only has minor problems securing the kill extremely reliably vs Mario but he wins neutral. Similar top mobility specs, but generally way better moves in neutral.
I've heard coming from Nakat that Mario is a worse matchup for Fox, and I've seen his fox against both Ally and Anti, so I'm covinced it's in our favor. I've played the matchup myself and haven't had many problems with it. The fact that Fox is a fast-falling char gives us a lot more out of grabs and we have better OoS options. Usmash for recovering foxes takes away side B as an option pretty much so theyre better off recovering low, which they should. In which case there are ways to edge guard Firefox so off stage against fox is good for us. As for Ryu.....i think it's pretty do able but very annoying. Not saying Mario wins the matchup but from what I gather it's possible

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Yeah and some of Doc's buffs are frankly really underrated, and most people don't understand how much they actually improved him competitively.

The F-air buffs looked pointless until you realize that not only did it make F-air safer on shield, but it gave Doc legitimate KO confirms out of D-throw.

The U-smash buff which ZeRo brushed over, basically gave Doc a pseudo F-air in neutral. A lack of good forward facing options has always been a problem for Mario and Doc, and having U-smash to cover air options in front of Doc safely is a massive deal.

I'm not really sure if new D-air is an improvement over old 3DS D-air, but it works well enough.
Also doc's fair breaks shields in two hits :p style option confirmed

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've heard coming from Nakat that Mario is a worse matchup for Fox, and I've seen his fox against both Ally and Anti, so I'm covinced it's in our favor. I've played the matchup myself and haven't had many problems with it. The fact that Fox is a fast-falling char gives us a lot more out of grabs and we have better OoS options. Usmash for recovering foxes takes away side B as an option pretty much so theyre better off recovering low, which they should. In which case there are ways to edge guard Firefox so off stage against fox is good for us. As for Ryu.....i think it's pretty do able but very annoying. Not saying Mario wins the matchup but from what I gather it's possible
Thing is, a good Fox in my opinion will make it hard to abuse out of shield options against him when he gets better at converting his throws into juggles that Mario doesn't really have a lot of options to avoid. When a Fox has enough control to do that, it's very hard to outplay him in neutral as far as I'm concerned.

It's easy to beat a bad Fox because of Mario's grab combos on him. By far much much harder when they actually know how to juggle and maximize positional advantage from throws.

The few times I watched Nakat play Fox vs Mario at a high level I felt like he mostly had control over the games, to be quite honest. It's easier for Fox to get killed early by random things if he's not careful, and he suffers a lot at a stock deficit, but if he never allows that lead to happen in the first place I don't think Mario actually controls the matchup.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Thing is, a good Fox in my opinion will make it hard to abuse out of shield options against him when he gets better at converting his throws into juggles that Mario doesn't really have a lot of options to avoid. When a Fox has enough control to do that, it's very hard to outplay him in neutral as far as I'm concerned.

It's easy to beat a bad Fox because of Mario's grab combos on him. By far much much harder when they actually know how to juggle and maximize positional advantage from throws.

The few times I watched Nakat play Fox vs Mario at a high level I felt like he mostly had control over the games, to be quite honest. It's easier for Fox to get killed early by random things if he's not careful, and he suffers a lot at a stock deficit, but if he never allows that lead to happen in the first place I don't think Mario actually controls the matchup.
This is all assuming the Fox is good at the matchup though, along with the Ganon matchup. Realistically, if you know what you're doing you can win a matchup (usually). If the fox or Ganon is winning, then they're well versed in the matchup. It's not always who wins the matchup who actually wins. Not saying fox loses by a lot, I think it's actually pretty close but just by playing the matchup enough I see it much more favorable for Mario

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
http://gfycat.com/SomeCautiousButterfly

I've decided to take up the mantle as most obnoxious Mario, if someone's gonna do it it may as well be me
Looks like some serious old for glory stuff there XD

I wanna try to make it to an E2C sometime soon actually but I haven't had the time or money cause school is stupid

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hey, it's everyone's favourite Italian plumber! I feel like breaking out in a dance...

this never gets old...

*ahem*

The Roy boards just got brand-spanking new MU Discussion threads (hooray for better organization!), and the first character that's up for discussion is Mario! We appreciate any input you might have on this matchup.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mario-roy-match-up-discussion.422500/

Thanks in advance.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Anybody finds it odd that amiibos can escape Mario's jabs and shield them? I know they're heavier than human players and cpus, but I noticed that they can avoid Mario's full jab combo(sometimes) since his have less knockback while Doc and Luigi have alittle more than Mario. This is nothing special, but has this ever happen to you as Mario when facing amiibos?

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Hey, I'm a Jigglypuff main looking for some Mario MU experience. Anyone who wants to play some time?

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a link to the skype or discord chat for mario?

my skype username is jackyfalyfe

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
What's the Skype group? I would like to be added.

Do you have Discord account? If so can you add me to Smashboards Ike Discord group if there are any?

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
My girlfriend and I pulled this off at a doubles tournament this weekend.
I'm Mario and she is Link.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
My girlfriend and I pulled this off at a doubles tournament this weekend.
I'm Mario and she is Link.
Whoa, your girlfriend nearly miss the ledge after that Up air, nice job of utilize the FLUDD in team battle, this can't be done without friendly fire.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Whoa, your girlfriend nearly miss the ledge after that Up air, nice job of utilize the FLUDD in team battle, this can't be done without friendly fire.
Indeed but in competitive team battles, friendly fire is usually on.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
So, with the broacast tomorrow there's going to be released a new patch. Do you think Mario is going to get any changes?

BSP

Smash Legend
So, with the broacast tomorrow there's going to be released a new patch. Do you think Mario is going to get any changes?
I would like Dair's final hit to be sped up so that no one can interrupt it, but I don't think Mario is receiving any changes. I think he's a solid benchmark for a good character in smash 4 right now.

Swooch on in

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was look for some one to practice against as I have tros against Mario, any one around

NNID
LilG912
Guys, quick question. I been trying to study on Mario's cape for some hours. i felt that it was easier to cape in Brawl and it's a tad bit harder to cape in Smash 4. Did the cape lose some priority vs certain moves in this game or nah? I know that the cape comes out at frame 12 in both games. I thought it comes out around frame 13-15 because I thought I cape too late sometimes vs certain characters. I been realized that F.L.U.D.D is a safer option vs Ness' recovery. I wonder if I have to be quicker in this game than I was in Brawl when I caped it. I need some knowledge about his cape as I study, that's my problem.

Red Stache

Smash Cadet
Hello.

Just joined these forums a little bit ago, and hopefully I can be a help and not a burden when it comes to discussing Mario in Smash Bros 4.

Just curious though... why is the social thread titled "Mario Hotel"?
Why not call it "Mario's Pad", or "Super Pipe House"? I think those names not only relate to Mario, but sound more social too.
Or can it not be changed? It's OK either way.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hello.

Just joined these forums a little bit ago, and hopefully I can be a help and not a burden when it comes to discussing Mario in Smash Bros 4.

Just curious though... why is the social thread titled "Mario Hotel"?
Why not call it "Mario's Pad", or "Super Pipe House"? I think those names not only relate to Mario, but sound more social too.
Or can it not be changed? It's OK either way.

Red Stache

Smash Cadet
Ha ha... Should have realized someone would post that joke.

Again though, I think "Mario's Pad" or "Super Pipe House" would be better.
Another idea would be, "Mario Castle" (his castle in Super Mario Land 2).

If we need to stay with the hotel idea, we could use "Hotel Delfino" from Super Mario Sunshine or "Poshley Heights Hotel" from Mario and the Thousand Year door, or the "Marrymore Suite" from Super Mario RPG.

Or maybe us one of the Inn names for the title of the social thread.
I dunno, just something that was on my mind.

Top Bottom