• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Mario Enigma Machine [1.1.1] Patch Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
When did Battlefield tournaments get added to the online tourneys? Was that 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, or earlier?

It's nice that we can play on something other than various forms of FD for a change...

Oh, and a VERY minor change that I've not seen reported: when watching the replay channel, you now need to hit start to continue at the end of every replay, as the timer has been removed.

I guess that was Nintendo's way of ensuring there's still a person there watching it (just like Netflix does) so they don't waste bandwidth by sending you replays.

Last edited:

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
I have just learned character projectiles that can be thrown or picked up are referred to as "articles," and their data isn't stored in the character file data dumps.. So i'm wondering if we will ever get access to that data? Specifically speaking as a Pac-man main I'd like to know the BKB/KBG and any other information available on all of his 'Bonus Fruit.'

At the moment all we can do is manually test every character to see which fruit KO's them at what percent depending on their location of the stage (middle/ledge).

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I have just learned character projectiles that can be thrown or picked up are referred to as "articles," and their data isn't stored in the character file data dumps..
This does present a problem. I thought something was odd when I couldn't find Mega Man's Hyper Bomb changes in the data dump. Only the animation's data (a reduction in endlag). I've still got my pre-patch reference so I'll take a look around.

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
I'd like to bring up an nerf that was somehow overlooked. I'm not sure when this change happened but I know it wasn't this way over the summer.
The change is to Villagers normal up b (1)(Balloon Trip). previously you could gain roughly 10% more lift by rapidly spamming b, rather than just holding down b. This mechanic is now unfortunately gone. I noticed it 2 nights ago, so probably 1.1.1 or 1.1.0 change I would assume.
I was surprised it wasn't listed in the character changes. Anyway please confirm this for yourself and add it to the patch notes!

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I found that Villager's Up B 2 recovery fuel has also been changed in the same way that the default balloon trip has. This gives Up B 3 some much needed relevance since it doesn't use fuel.

I'd like to bring up an nerf that was somehow overlooked. I'm not sure when this change happened but I know it wasn't this way over the summer.
The change is to Villagers normal up b (1)(Balloon Trip). previously you could gain roughly 10% more lift by rapidly spamming b, rather than just holding down b. This mechanic is now unfortunately gone. I noticed it 2 nights ago, so probably 1.1.1 or 1.1.0 change I would assume.
I was surprised it wasn't listed in the character changes. Anyway please confirm this for yourself and add it to the patch notes!
Never heard of this mechanic with the move. Can you provide evidence it was ever the case? I can only confirm that mashing B has no effect in 1.10 and 1.11.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
Never heard of this mechanic with the move. Can you provide evidence it was ever the case? I can only confirm that mashing B has no effect in 1.10 and 1.11.
I personally can confirm after performing many experiments throughout the updates that it is true that this mechanic never in fact existed on any version.
I can confirm it exists in 1.1.0. It works best if you tap B somewhat slowly as rapid mashing seems pretty hit or miss.

Just go to Hyrule Castle, move to the low ground on the right. Holding B will cause Villager's head to reach the top of the screen. Proper mashing will take him just offscreen.

And, yes, tap jump was off.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm it exists in 1.1.0. It works best if you tap B somewhat slowly as rapid mashing seems pretty hit or miss.

Just go to Hyrule Castle, move to the low ground on the right. Holding B will cause Villager's head to reach the top of the screen. Proper mashing will take him just offscreen.
It wouldn't surprise me if tapping a button in time to his hands did this as a throwback to one of the many Balloon Fight games.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Dunno why my first side by side comparison didn't catch it, but yes, tapping B definitely makes you fly farther. Like, 30% farther than holding. The thing is, this feature is still there. The tapping of B instead of holding it kept you in the air longer, which is what made the difference in ascent. Synchronized tapping between 1.10 and 1.11 resulted in nearly identical height gains. The reason why it's nearly is because my timing is identical, but the length of time I keep my respective fingers on the buttons can't be frame perfect. Suffice to say, in half my tests, 1.11 went higher, and the other half had 1.10 go higher. No change in this mechanic.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
VERY interesting... i feel like nintendo wants customs to be legal... but I and i think a majority of the community likes the standard non customs meta game..

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
VERY interesting... i feel like nintendo wants customs to be legal... but I and i think a majority of the community likes the standard non customs meta game..
On the flip side, I feel like Sakurai and his dev team specifically waited until after customs were no longer legal before they started patching them because they didn't want them to be legal.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Are we pretending that the development team cares about (and makes decisions based on) insular tourney policy on the other side of an ocean?

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Because Nintendo had no frame of reference for balancing, since literally nobody "important" wanted to use customs, and customs were run to "appease the people who wanted them", as I'm sure most players tell themselves and then quickly, quietly dismiss the subject.

Then along comes tournament mode, where they could record general information about custom moves in a (not really) competitive environment, and analyze/re-balance accordingly, likely based on usage alone, because equipment got in the way of real analysis. But they also added non-equipment pro-custom tournaments, maybe realizing in hindsight that equipment is poorly implemented. If anything, I expect future patches to have even heavier attention to custom moves due to this addition.

What kind of backwards circular logic is it that Nintendo "didn't want us to" run customs because they didn't patch them "until now"? Shouldn't we take this as an opportunity to begin running them since they're under attention? Since they're becoming more balanced? Or do the anti-optionals need another scrap of wood out of fear for their dwindling cross-continental fire?

I'm sorry if the statement was a joke and I'm a stupid troll-feeder, but the horse is the leftover dust of a skeleton; why in gods name are we still beating it? Does it make us feel better about our current meta where a single player holds a two or three digit win streak? "Well, at least we aren't using customs!!"

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Are we pretending that the development team cares about (and makes decisions based on) insular tourney policy on the other side of an ocean?
I said that's kinda what happened, not that I believe they made a decision to do so. They're being balanced after people seem to have given up on them.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Shaya Shaya , we're long overdue for putting the last of the changes into the OP. Heck, they're even in video format now. All I could add is that Villager's Up B 2 also suffers from reduced fuel regeneration just like the default. Beyond that, it seems we've hit every tangible difference for this patch. Nice work, everyone. See you all in a month or so when we're finding infinites with the next DLC character.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Wait was Kirby's copy Shield Breaker also nerfed in shield damage?

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
The frames on :4myfriends: Tempest (N-special 2) in the OP are incorrect.

Total frames (uncharged) were reduced from 76 -> 67 (9 frames less endlag).

Total frames (full charge) were reduced from 165 -> 158 (7 frames less endlag).

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
LordWilliam1234 LordWilliam1234
If you're not too busy, could you help us understand what's happening with the shieldstun and hitlag changes regarding Luma's safety on block? The theoretical changes aren't adding up with what's happening in reality. I did some frame testing using video footage, and lots of Luma's attacks (namely jab, dtilt) look less safe on block despite the currently accepted formulas for projectiles.

edit: http://smashboards.com/threads/shields-in-1-1-1.419235/page-5#post-20262902

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
LordWilliam1234 LordWilliam1234
If you're not too busy, could you help us understand what's happening with the shieldstun and hitlag changes regarding Luma's safety on block? The theoretical changes aren't adding up with what's happening in reality. I did some frame testing using video footage, and lots of Luma's attacks (namely jab, dtilt) look less safe on block despite the currently accepted formulas for projectiles.
I'm no expert on the subject of shields, but who's saying Luma is a projectile? He has his own character files. Data for every attack and animation. I know that may not sound definitive. But consider the likelihood that the dev team would miss one of the single largest aspects of any one character design - Rosalina's Luma, when making such a groundbreaking changes to shields. One of which was removing the shieldlag discrepancy on hitlag modified moves. Like Ryu, Marth, and Roy, all of Luma's moves had varying hitlag modifiers that made their antiquated Brawl shield design stand out as favoring and hindering such characters. So even if Luma was considered a projectile at any point, they wouldn't miss Luma in an update where they make projectiles matter. You have to consider the possibility that Luma is a character, or even has his own unique formula. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
Okay, just curious, what does "mishaun compree" mean? Probably has been asked before, but I really don't care to look through 31 pages to find if it has, and a quick google search revealed nothing obvious, so.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Okay, just curious, what does "mishaun co.mpree" mean? Probably has been asked before, but I really don't care to look through 31 pages to find if it has, and a quick google search revealed nothing obvious, so.
...okay, just in case you're being serious, it's what Fox sounds like he's saying on the victory screen in one of the games (Mission Complete)

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Okay, just curious, what does "mishaun compree" mean? Probably has been asked before, but I really don't care to look through 31 pages to find if it has, and a quick google search revealed nothing obvious, so.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Nah. Falco's is way more (less) accurate.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
>_>

To actually answer your question, I believe the star under Mission Complete means that every change visible in the character files has been documented in the OP of this thread.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Geez everyone, you could afford to be harsher than that. It is truly unacceptable to not know an obscure Melee reference in the form of text. We should hang him by a gamecube controller cord.

As for that field in the OP, its use has been problematic. Dozens of changes in the OP (and more changes that still haven't been added to the OP) were found after the "Mission Complete" was given. So it's an issue when somebody brings up a legitimate change that needs investigating and others tell this person "no, they said they found everything in the OP". Every patch we get characters riddled with mystery changes to moves that probably affect nothing at all, but we still can't describe it. Thus, the mission isn't complete for them, and probably won't be. If that field in the OP accurately represented things this way, we wouldn't be scratching our heads every time we find a change from a previous patch that went undocumented.

Astellius

Smash Ace
To actually answer your question, I believe the star under Mission Complete means that every change visible in the character files has been documented in the OP of this thread.
Thanks, that answers what I was actually asking about. I was asking what it meant here, not what it was a reference to.

Geez everyone, you could afford to be harsher than that. It is truly unacceptable to not know an obscure Melee reference in the form of text. We should hang him by a gamecube controller cord.
Let's do that!

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
shame that Marth and Lucina's shield breaker was nerfed but with how shield now work in smash 4 I guess it makes sense just sucks as a marth main lol

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
shame that Marth and Lucina's shield breaker was nerfed but with how shield now work in smash 4 I guess it makes sense just sucks as a marth main lol
It doesn't make sense. Shield HP has nothing to do with shield stun (and SB still doesn't do much shield stun). Trust me, this has been discussed like crazy.

Shog

Smash Ace
I am not sure if this fits, but Samus Custom Move, the slow missiles, got nerfed: Prior to some unknown point it was possible having 3 out at the same time(2 normal 1 super) now you can only have 2 out.

If that was common knowledge I am sorry. But projectiles get rarely new information so I wonder if this was missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom