• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Discussion: OP is a bad person

Battlecow

Play to Win
Danny SSB has a legit mario. Watch him play against Tambor or those other Chilean scrubs at the big offline chilean tourney.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
dunno where you pull my quotes from anymore, you know my posting history better than i do and im often wrong anyway

if your definition of camp is 'sit in the box' then it goes something like: kirby with fox lasers > fox > link > mario > who cares

too bad kirby will never get close enough to get fox's lasers

TalosSSB

Smash Cadet
Mario has interesting fireball setups with that funky landscape on Congo.

I find mario's fireballs to be much more effective on the map saffron because you can combo off pokymans and you got such a close area of spike abilities your down B could spike along with the walls to throw off of then the right side of the map can be used to camp and edge guard with.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I dropped Mario like a bad habit and now I just use Falcon/Fox I'm officially try-hard

anyways if someone wants to make a guide they can

lalala OH nanana

Olikus

Smash Champion
Do people slide the same timing on marios sh dair, uair, like they do on fox sh double laser? cus I can sh double laser easy, but struggle with marios sh dair, uair. maybe because I have to z- cancel the dair too thats messes it up.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Do people slide the same timing on marios sh dair, uair, like they do on fox sh double laser? cus I can sh double laser easy, but struggle with marios sh dair, uair. maybe because I have to z- cancel the dair too thats messes it up.
Yep .

sydor92

Smash Rookie
I was wondering how to use Mario's fireball correctly. I use them, but when they hit my enemy, he can grab me because I think there is so little hitstun. What are your options if a person:

1-blocks the fireball

2-gets hit by the fireball

3-if they jump and immediately do an attack

4-if they jump and don't immediately do an attack.

The Star King

Smash Hero
1 - aerial their shield and grab

2 - aerial and combo or grab

3 - aerial

4 - aerial

I'm assuming you are throwing the fireballs in the air as you're moving towards them. You shouldn't really be doing then on the ground much. Also you can choose to do nothing if you think you're not close enough

asianaussie

Smash Hero
5 - run away and throw more fireballs

yes i read your assumption, but this is still arguably the best choice in a lot of neutral situations

sydor92

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Also, what is the advantage of throwing the fireballs in the air? And if they get hit by the fireball, does that disrupt their attack? I would assume it does, or else they can just anti-air you once you jump at them. I'm thinking of falcon's up smash or pika's utilt in particular but not exclusively.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's not that throwing fireballs in the air is good, but rather that chucking them while stationary on the ground is just bad: you're stuck there with no protection above you (or below you)

quite a few attacks will get interrupted by fireballs, but a decent number also cancel them out, like a lot of link's attacks, kirby's b-air, lots more etc - pika u-tilt should beat fireballs quite easily, falcon u-smash too, in the early parts of the attack

it's literally been more than a month since i've played properly, i might be wrong about some of this

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Fox can't go under the fireball or he'll get hit

If Fox jumps he could get hit by the fireball or eat a Mario aerial to the face (depending on the height and angle of the jump)

If Fox shields Mario will follow up with an aerial on shield -> grab

I didn't draw the spacing perfectly but hope that explains it

sydor92

Smash Rookie
So ballin, what if that was the captain and he jumped straight up and backfisted. Or any character jumped straight up and attacked. I was thinking the backfist because I think it has better range than most of mario's aerials. If you know they are going to do this, what should you do?

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's good, you're seeing holes in proposed tactics. Yeah, they can aerial through, just don't do it if you think they're in a position to do so and think they will. A lot of people are noobs though and won't do anything about it

I personally think fireballs are overrated but that's just me

sydor92

Smash Rookie
So I've been watching Isai, and he seems to use fireballs the most on Hyrule, obviously it is one of the best for zoning and you have more room for projectiles. There has to be a solution to beating out falcon's backfist. if he jumps over the fireball you threw in the air fireball. I am not positive but I do believe it will beat out mario's areials (please correct me if you find otherwise). I feel like there is an effective strategy to make people do what you want or put you in an advantageous position while throwing fireballs

ballin4life

Smash Hero
So ballin, what if that was the captain and he jumped straight up and backfisted. Or any character jumped straight up and attacked. I was thinking the backfist because I think it has better range than most of mario's aerials. If you know they are going to do this, what should you do?
If the fireball is at the right height then I think the backfist would go over it and falcon would still get hit maybe.

I'm not saying it's some kind of uber trap that's impossible to escape from, just giving an example of a setup that's better than throwing a standing fireball where they can just jump over it / cancel it out easily.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Mario has some cool fireball tricks in the Hyrule tent to vary their timing, trajectory, and positioning in relation to Mario. It's a little gimmicky but it seems to work on almost everyone.

sydor92

Smash Rookie
I'll look into that ballin. I understand that its not an impossible trap, but I was just looking for some ways to improve fireball usage. Thanks to all who contributed, I appreciate it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
does hitting the right side of the hyrule tent (the slanted part) influence the fireball speed in any way?

There's nothing less funny than Australians making generalizations about region humor
was just joshin

also, capitalising sentences, then not punctuating them at the end is a pet peeve of mine

The Star King

Smash Hero
I was just joshing too

Also I've always done that so too late to bring that up now buddy nyuknyuknyuk

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
ok so i can dair>uair 30% of the time, by sliding my finger from c to a really quick, is there an easier way to do it or is it just learning it

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
Pete advised doing the attack inputs with R instead of A. It was too late for me to change my ways but using R does help. I am about 90% on doing SHDA correctly and I find myself alternating between the different methods.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
i can do it like 40% of the time now and its just a S.O.B. to learn guess its just my horrible smash skills according to LD

Froski

Boss of Bosses
I agree with using R to pull that off. I can do it with success 89% of the time if i do it that way.

The only hard part for me is actually pulling off a dair uair chain without grabbing on accident.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Both I guess. The point of the method would be the Dair though, since the uair is only a matter of timing (r or a should matter), whereas for the Dair you can bypass the kinda unreliable sliding motion.

Top Bottom