• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Map Station[OP UNDER CONSTRUCTION!]: Delfino Plaza!

IYM!

Smash Lord
Brinstar is a horrible stage for samus, is small, making a dificult time for us for spaming missiles
also the two membranes can be hit by our missiles.

the only good thing here, is the small blastzones, that help us to kill early.

well, back to castle siege, at the second phase is important learn how to combine our missiles (homming) with the close range combat, the two statues give us problems with a full spaming

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Obviously. I'll just leave that post there to edit it later for IYM!'s convenience. I'll go find some points I've made about CS and post 'em here as well. It's the stage Samus seems to be most often CP'd to, which is fine by me. :bee:

IYM!

Smash Lord
Brinstar? Good for Samus? Realy?, well, you know more about samus than me Ismar, so i will wait your argument :)

OK, back on topic, Castle Siege isnt very bad gor samus, after all, the second phase ( this is the big problem of Samus in this stage) have the same duration than the phase 1 and 3, and those phases (1 & 3) are good for Samus

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Imo, Seige is bad for Samus. 2/3 of the transformations work against her and the only good transformation for her, the third, tilts, making it a veritable YI or Lylat. Overall, Seige is bad for Samus in most cases.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
In an odd turn of events, it's actually become one of my CPs of choice, especially against Snake of all people. I'll divide this by stage.

Stage 1/Top of the castle
Uneven terrain/main stage gives us the slight advantage and disadvantage depending on the situation. Being on the left side obviously opens up many options, while fighting a character with long ranged attacks will put us as a disadvantage being on the right. Z-air, U-air, U-tilt/F-tilt angled up, Up B and Missiles of course all appreciate the cover provided by the low platforms, and even bombs could be used slightly less crapily than usual. The edges are both walls, so Samus has an easy time stalling out with Wall Jumping(you can even do that Spiderman Bomb thing if your opponent is dumb enough to wait for you/too scared to approach. The ledges can trap you ala FD lip if you aren't careful, however. Overall this is my favorite part of the stage, the ceiling is odd that we get utterly screwed, not too low and not so high we can't KO with D-air/Smash. During the transitions to and from the other stages, you can abuse the temporary floor to sneak in a few more hits than normal, or even a KO if you're smart enough(hold them where there is no floor when transitioning from stage 3-1, get them near the edge so you can Z-air them off the walk off during stage 1-2, and so on). There is more to this stage, but I'll try to leave at least something that other people can contribute. :d

Stage 2/Castle hall w/statues
Yes, the dreaded statues that eat projectiles. For obvious reasons, this is the least liked part of the stage for many, but I've grown fond of it recently. While it is true the statues hamper our spam game, I find the not-situational advantages/disadvantages to add up to a neutral or even in Samus' favor phase of the battle, not counting certain characters(coughDee3ZeldaMario/PTwaterguncough). For starters, the disadvantages don't just hurt Samus(and don't hurt her the most, in fact). Unless your name is Zelda, your projectiles are at the mercy in the middle of the stage as well(this especially helps me in the Snake MU, as they'll have to rely on C4's as their only projectile while we still have Z-air and bombs to a non-existent extent). The statues have actually helped me more than hurt me. For instance, several of Samus never-used moves could be used to destroy them and/or refresh move. Helps that U-smash is a multi-hit move. But this brings up my next point. Samus' moves last longer when hitting the statues, which more than likely can assist in catching foes with the lingering hitboxes(again, helps in multi-hit moves or just moves that cover a decent amount of space, like D-air/U-tilt/N-air/D-smash, and even Z-air), and this'll do wonders against any characters/opponents who rely heavily on spot/air-dodging. Lastly, the biggest advantage, I think, is how well Samus can maneuver here. Up B lands perfectly on the higher platform, you can use bombs to stall around high up on the stage, and against characters who rely on projectiles, you can keep away and Charge a shot while they approach either fearlessly(mindgames to the max) or reluctantly(though your mileage may vary). Then there is, of course, the constant fear of the Grapple Beam(yes either on ground or in the air) pressuring them to the edge, or a lucky grab leading to a B/F-throw KO. Overall, I'd say this stage is good or bad depending on who you fight here rather than it just being automatically bad for Samus. Keep moving, play aggressively not just defensively, and use the stage to your advantage.

Stage 3/The underground/Hell
So as mentioned above, this is considered the only good one for Samus. The tilts really help her edge game, as she has a much easier time recovering than most from under the lip. Z-air anybody under it and unless they are MK/R.O.B.(even then they are in danger) and they are screwed. The side boundaries aren't very wide either, so this somewhat compensates for the higher than average ceiling, also making it next to ideal for surviving as well as KOing. Get 'em with a tippered Z-air or a Charge Shot near the edge and they'll die, or have trouble getting back to the stage. On the stage itself, the tilting can also be helpful occasionally. When falling, for example, sometimes the stage will tilt enough to let you dodge their attacks by stalling with bombs, air-dodging > Z-airing them back(or semi-fully charged Charge Shot if it's handy), and the tilting helps similarly to stage 1 in terms of projectiles. Careful so that the protrusions/higher side doesn't eat your projectiles, though. Lastly, being the higher side gives your attacks a bit more range if you use them right. D-air towards the lower side, F-tilts angled either up or down, and retreating D-airs all get ab it boosted. All of this is situational, though, and similar to stage 2, the effectiveness of the stage can vary depending on character/player.

Overall/Overall
Stage is good for Samus, but she'll lose to characters who can abuse it better or if they're just better obv. You have to keep an open mind and not rely on things you are used to if you are CP'd here, but it'd do you a lot of good to learn the stage for going there on your own choice, IMO. The stage has the traits to be good for Samus, but that is on paper. Just like to make Samus work, you'll have to work to actually make the stage work. If you are very versatile, or your opponent is not, then this stage will keep you/them on their toes. Tis all in your opinion in the end.

10pickuptheslackguys'

IYM!

Smash Lord
O_O good job IsmaR, the read was good and with good information.

in a text than i wrote before, i mencioned the tactic of destroy only one statue, than give us a free zone to start a spam, and the other statue can help us to do a defencive tactic (when the opponent crosses our spaming and Zair) the statue will be protect us for a while, and that is the perfect oportunity to start a Zair spaming again, or, in few situations start a combo or air combo.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This can be helpful sometimes, hurtful others. If you're fighting somebody like Zelda, whose projectiles go through the stage and if you are above her for any instant = aerial attack/KO of choice. If certainly helps against bigger characters who get sucked into Up B easily(the higher statue is just the right height for you to land right on it if you Up B from the ground), and for characters with projectiles it might just be better to leave the statues standing.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
IYM! Uair combo's into like everything. We can jab out of Uair if the last hit connects, if it doesn't and they get knocked back we just Z air and charge some lazorz. Wouldn't use lazorz on this stage unless you WANT to hit teh statue's and have the hitbox stay out longer

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Haha, the problem is we are all busy. I find samus mainz usually have better things to do than make tier *****s cry themselves to sleep at night. Which would explain our lack of decent placings and low tier status. We are easily the most productive-outside-the-internet board on here :p

IYM!

Smash Lord
this threat is close to die, Composer, when you will have ready the info about Lylat?

this threat is usefull for me, because, the only thing than i dont know very well wih Samus is which stage gives her adventages and troubles

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
this threat is close to die, Composer, when you will have ready the info about Lylat?

this threat is usefull for me, because, the only thing than i dont know very well wih Samus is which stage gives her adventages and troubles

In short, We all have similar counter-picks, with very few exceptions. I HEART rainbow cruize and brinstar.

Samus' main stages she does good on are:

Final Destination, for it's length so we can camp long before resetting positions.

BattleField: This stage is small, but Samus can keep the opponent in z air range always, with good spacing this is a great stage for samus.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
It also depends on who you are facing. For example, never take Falco or Diddy Kong to FD, they have the home stretch advantage.

Also it isn't wise to take the likes of Marth and such to BF because of his platform control.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Good news nobody!

Fueled by Pizza Rolls and CAKE (the band), I have the write-up for Lylat finished, and I will be getting the new Castle Siege one written up soon. I'm just waiting on one thing before I post them, but they are done.
I can't apologize enough for how busy I've ended up being... so I won't. :V

Where do you guys want to go next? I think we still have Pokemon Stadium 1 and Delfino to cover in regards to mostly starter stages, unless you guys want to change it up and cover a CP next?

IYM!

Smash Lord
i dont know much about Delfino so i will put few basic points
the mini BF than carry us arround delfino change its platform position betwen transforming, so we will need change our tactic to fit in the stage.
basicaly, these platforms help us with the basic (make less the fall state, with mssile cancel). Another good thing here is the ground, we can do Zair trought the stage, and spam it with out fear.

some phases on this stage have water, and this help us a lot, when we try to do a Dair spike, we can just conect 2 or 3 without dificulties or spam missiles meanwhile our opponent is swiming.

this stage isnt a good place to take a ChainGraber, because there are 4 places where we can die because a chain grab, and 2 more when they can catch us and give us a lot of damage, and only 4 safe places.

i dont see any real adventaje or disventaje here for Samus, So , for the moment, this is all i can say

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Delfi Hey. I find the platform stuff semi useless if I'm spamming but my main objective is to put the opponent above me. While riding the stage I like to spam my opponents and use hit and run tactics, this stage is huge, like it's actually ridiculously huge so this works pretty well. Now the platforms above me are where I rack up most of my damage. Uair works great here and you can usually land a sweet Bair with most of the platform combinations, making for easier kills. Also the water, as IYM said helps out a lot whether you do kill them with a spike or just use it to rack up damage, it is still heaven for us. However our spike is rather non lethal in comparison to others, so know your opponent, if they have a spike I wouldn't advise trying to beat them unless you are sure you can win. And I feel like working out, back with more info later.

:251:

Delfino is a stage where it is HEAVILY down to personal preference. I find myself playing on this stage more oftenly thanks to Samus' superb sharking abilities. During the first part of the stage where you spawn onto the platform, your first priority is to GAIN control of the platforms. Should you not manage to do this, you will be eating a very harsh rush down, and thanks for the lack of ground beneath the platforms, getting gimped is a realistic possibility on this stage, but if you know enough about the platform designs on this stage and know how to apply pressure with zair and missiles then you definatly have a really good bet on this section. The platforms also change shapes, placements and sizes, so be sure to observe this so you know just when it's safe to upb or force pressure on. Also, a really really good tip here, RECOVER HIGH. I can't stress this enough. I've been gayed over by Delfino's ledges far too many times, and thanks to the platforms placement (when they are tilted on the sides) we can easily land with much punishment (unless your opponent has very good aerial punishing options (MK and/or characters with a large range come to mind here).

When arriving onto Delfino square (the long stage with two water pools at both sides) we OWN this section. Camp your opponent to death, hover over the water until an opening comes around to begin gimping. If for any reason your opponent is stupid enough to land in the water, THERE IS NO REASON WHY THEY SHOULD GET OUT. Our dair is more then decent enough to force them down and eventually kill them. You shouldn't really be loosing to anybody on this section unless they're called Metaknight.

Now depending on which section is next, you play the part accordingly. On the rooftops of Delfino, you better PRAY your opponent isn't a D3. He can WALK OFF THE STAGE WITH A CG. This is hell for us if the character you're facing has a good rush down game. The boundaries on this stage are TINY (at least on the sides) so be sure to look out for opportunities where we can apply pressure. You are able to crouch under the sides in the middle to avoid some spam (Falco's lazers) so be sure to utilize this, you can save yourself a good 50% by doing this. This is also where you should be getting your kills thanks to the side boundaries.

Now the pillar section (the grassy pillars coming up from the sea), these are going to be a typical love it or hate it situation, actually, who am I kidding? You should LOVE this section. Thanks to the pipes the opponent is forced to JUMP to reach us, HOW EPIC IS THAT? They can't shield our spam, and should they attempt to hide on one of the ledges from the pillars/ the water, they should be getting spiked respectivly. We can also wall jump off the pillars, so utilise this to gain better spacing. The boundaries on this stage are quite small, so be careful against characters like Snake who can utilt us here as easily as taking candy from a baby.

The Island is a strange thing, VERY strange thing. You are able to FALL THROUGH this Island, so seriously be careful, I've lost tournament games because of this rubbish. The slight hill on the Island really does hinder us, it forces us to use homing missiles or approach, and it can get quite annoying. With the correct timings however, you are able to deal with it accordingly. RUSH DOWN your opponents here, apply any sort of pressure you can to insure they don't arrive on that section.

The place with the parasols and the port are going to be put together here, simply because they both have the same walk off issues and wall infinite issues. You can crouch beneath the walls, but our crouch sucks, so we can STILL GET HIT. The boundaries also do us NO favors.

Overall, this stage is down to personal preference. Observe the background whenever you get the chance, not just for the beautiful scenery, but also because you can PREDICT where you'll land next, so you can space yourself accordingly.

Take characters who don't adapt to new environment as well as other characters. These characters are ones like Zelda. She can't shark properly because of her piss poor recovery so she is forced to remain grounded, and on a stage where we are constantly moving, it's hell for her to keep up with his. She can't utilise any gimmicks on this stage that other characters can. We can also heavily outcamp her here.

Avoid Metaknight, D3 and Diddy Kong. Metaknight I shouldn't have to explain why we don't take him here. D3 can walk us off and bair wall us quite effectivly so it's sometimes difficult to recover, the fact he has 4 jumps doesnt help us either. Diddy Kong has a banana walk off :/.

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
Let's get this thread active again. It's an important part of placing well in tournies. Which is what samus needs :)

Top Bottom