• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 18 - Top Fifty Is Posted!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

Artorias used Abyssal Slam!
Does a total of 420 points of damage to Varimathras!

Varimathras' turn! Command?

> Fight
Item
Flee
Magic

Varimathras strikes!
Does a total of 219 damage to Artorias!

Yangus' turn! Command?

> Fight
Item
Flee
Technique

Yangus strikes!
Does a total of 333 damage to Artorias!

Artorias was vanquished!
Gained 1,111 Experience Points.
Yangus leveled up! Varimathras leveled up!

> Varimathras: Muhahaha!
> Varimathras: With that fel-fallen fool out of the way, there is nobody left to stop me from dominating the Top 10!
> Varimathras: Thanks for all the help, small fry...
> Varimathras: ...But you might meet me at the top, so you have to die!

!

Varimathras draws near!

Yangus turn! Command?

> Fight
Item
Flee
Technique

Yangus attacks!
Does 298 damage to Varimathras!

> Varimathras: What? How could I be defeated by this worm?
> Varimathras: If only my teammates followed me...Detheroc, why...
> Detheroc: You're the one who betrayed me, you idiot!

Yangus was defeated!
Gained 999 Experience Points.

Evil Sir Leopold was defeated!
Gained 6,666 Experience Points. Yangus leveled up!

It seems the world is a safer place now.

...?!

> Lord Galf: How...how horrible!
> Lord Galf: How could somebody do something so horrible to an innocent dog?!
> Lord Galf: If I don't stop you now...you'll surely become a threat to my dog!
> Lord Galf: You're not gonna be anything but dog food when I'm done with you!

!

Lord Galf approaches!

Defeated Lord Galf! Entered the World of Dreams...

> Baku: Hello!
> Baku: I'm Baku, the guide of dreamers!
> Baku: You say you have come to fulfill your dream? I can help!
> Baku: ...
> Baku: You want to win a contest? I think I know just the path. Follow me!

> Zomom: Ungh...
> Baku: Oh, look at this...a contest contender!
> Zomom: You...
> Zomom: You're the one who took my delicious egg away!
> Baku: I think that if you want to win...
> Zomom: I'm gonna crush you flat for that!
> Baku: ...You'll have to take him out first!

!

Zomom approaches!

Turn 10

Zomom uses Slammin' Sub!

Does 346 damage to Yangus!

Yangus' turn! Command?

Fight
Item
Flee
> Technique

Yangus used Parallax!

Does 550 points of damage to Zomom!

Zomom was defeated!
Gained 1 Experience Point.

> Baku: You are a most excellent fighter!
> Baku: But you still have a ways to go to reach the end...
> Baku: ...Let us continue down the path of your dreams!

> Jecht: This ain't the Dream Zanarkand I remember...
> Baku: Oh my! This challenger seems especially strong.
> Jecht: Course I am, ya little squirt! I could punt ya outta this whole dimension!
> Baku: And so full of spirit...this one looks like a Top Fiver for sure!
> Jecht: Aaaww, c'mon...don't underrate me like that.
> Baku: He is definitely fit to be your next challenge!

!

> Jecht: Yeah, that's right...c'mon, C'mon, C'MON!

The battle is long, hard and fierce, much like Jecht's sword. (Get out of the keyboard, Jecht.)

Turn 55...

Jecht's turn!

Jecht used Ultimate Jecht Shot!

Does a total of 645 points of damage to Yangus!

Yangus' turn! Command?

Fight
> Item
Flee
Technique

Yangus used an Herb!
Healed to full!

Jecht's turn!

Jecht used Explosive Grasp!

Does a total of 437 points of damage to Yangus!

Yangus' turn! Command?

Fight
Item
Flee
> Technique

Yangus tosses a boulder!

Does a total of 350 damage to Jecht!

> Jecht: Rotten...punk...

Jecht was defeated!
Gained 1 Experience Point.

> Baku: Excellent, excellent!
> Baku: It looks like your dream has finally matured...
> Baku: Your delicious, well tenderized, juicy dreams...
> Baku: Finally ready to eat!

!

> Baku: How wonderful it must taste!

Baku the Dream Eater approaches!

The battle is very confusing. But, in the end, you prove victorious...

Baku the Dream Eater was defeated!
Gained 12,122 Experience Points! Yangus leveled up!

But...how are you going to get out of the dream realm...?

> ???: The flames of the Candelabrum beckon me to the battlefield!

!

> Matador: ...Only one of us will escape this battlefield alive.

> Matador: You hold a Candelabrum...then you, too, must be seeking to win Make Your Move 18!
> Matador: That I cannot allow. Only the greatest movesetter is worthy of such prestige.
> Matador: It is made for a master movesetter...one who, admidst advertisements and applause, has won countless Make Your Moves...
> Matador: That movesetter is I, Matador!
> Matador: It is unfortunate that we have so few voters...
> Matador: But I believe it will be an excellent Top 50 regardless, as you and I contend for the Candelabrum.
> Matador: You should have farmed more Metal Slimes before challenging me!

!

Matador approaches!

> Matador: You haven't fought someone like me yet!

Matador used Red Capote! Accuraccy and Evasion maxed out!

Looks like you are in for a long fight...

Turn 31!

Matador used Focus!
Matador is charging a powerful attack!

Matador used Andalucia!

Does a total of 772 damage to Yangus!

Matador used Mazan!

Does 100 points of damage to Yangus!

> Matador: You still stand?!

Yangus' turn! Command?

Fight
Item
Flee
> Technique

Yangus used Grimmer Reaper!

Does 440 points of damage to Matador!
Matador was defeated!

Returned to the realm of the living!

A...courtroom?

> Kristoph: Your honor, my client has clearly suffered savage and harsh attacks from the accused's words and actions!
> Kristoph: Not only has the opposing side insinuated that my client has utilized entirely false procedures to gain entry into the Iron MYMer Challenge and suggested that she is cozing up to voters in order to gain a higher placing...
> Kristoph: But he has insulted her age! In this Dark Age of the Internet, what worse of an insult can you make?!
> Grunty: I may be green down to the bone, but I'm no older than a common stone!
> Kristoph: And so I tell you, my fair jduge, to sentence this criminal to death and five years community service on top of that!
> Judge Nemo: ...I'm not even supposed to be in this contest...
> Grunty: (You might think its painful I speak in rhyme, but to be honest I wish my lawyer was a mime!)
> Kristoph: I implore you judge! He called her hag and wicked witch and even said she flipped an E-Mail switch!
> Grunty: Are you sure you are a defender? Don't bring up things to make the public remember!
> Kristoph: Do these crimes not demand justice?!
> Judge Nemo: Well, I am not quite sure you are in the right-
> Kristoph: Right? WRIGHT?! WRIIIIIIIGHT...

> Judge Nemo: Oh dear...it seems that he has not taken his pills today.
> Judge Nemo: Strange newcomer, could you deal with this?
> Grunty: Do not think I will be taking this sitting down! We're gonna go at least one round!

Kristoph and Grunty appr-

Kristoph and Grunty were defeated!
Gained 2,016 Experience Points. Reached maximum level!

And so it comes to this.

The last challenge between untold glory and ultimate shame.

> Metireon: I have braved baseball players and their incessant bats.
> Yldretch: Crushed dark winged flying rats.
> Metireon: Vile bears full of little fluff, only nihilism beneath.
> Yldretch: And monologuing demons unfit for my rule.
> Metireon: And now we come to you as my final challenge.
> Yldretch: But a simple RPG character like you has little chance against the lord of all demons.
> Metireon: No items ever allowed in this fated match! Final Destination, lets go!

> Metireon, Yldretch: LETS GO!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
1) Yangus by MasterWarlord
2) Metireon by ForwardArrow
3) Grunty by MasterWarlord
4) Kristoph Gavin by Smash Daddy
5) Matador by Smash Daddy
6) Jecht by Smash Daddy
7) Zomom by MasterWarlord
8) Baku the Dream Eater by Smash Daddy
9) Lord Galf by MasterWarlord
10) Varimathras by MasterWarlord
11) Artorias the Abysswalker by FrozenRoy
12) The Butcher by FrozenRoy
13) Allen O'Neill by Smash Daddy
14) Knightly Witch Garnet by UserShadow7898
15) Michael by Smash Daddy
16) Zer0 by JOE!
17) Anti-Mage by FrozenRoy
18) Shadow Teddie by Smash Daddy
19) Lickitung by Smash Daddy
20) Gluth by FrozenRoy
21) Atlantis by MasterWarlord
22) Zyra by FrozenRoy
23) Yomi Mekura by Munomario777
24) Adel by Smash Daddy
25) MaloMyotismon by ForwardArrow
26) Tutankoopa by FrozenRoy
27) Marina Cannonvale by Katapultar
28) Goronu by Smash Daddy
29) Diancie by Jamietheaurauser
30) Kappa Tian by Smash Daddy
31) The Great Mighty Poo by Brostulip
32) Joe DiMaggio by FrozenRoy
33) Electivire by FrozenRoy
34) Chesnaught by JOE!
35) Colonel.EXE by UserShadow7898
36) Tangrowth by UserShadow7898
37) Honchkrow by Bridgeswithturtles
38) Gaige by JOE!
39) Mad Dummy by Reigaheres
40) Dragonslayer Armour by FrozenRoy
41) Alolan Trainer by Munomario777
42) Doppelganger Tsukika by Katapultar
43) Doppelganger Shirogane by Katapultar
44) Panther King by Brostulip
45) Detheroc by MasterWarlord
46) Excitebiker by Munomario777
47) Link 2.0 by Munomario777
48) Sandslash by JOE!
49) Melia by Dr. Slavic
50) Professor van Kripplespac by Brostulip​

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Make Your Move 19 is schedule to begin February 10th and will be headed by FrozenRoy!

For raw voting data, go here.

Get prepared for opening day, that Iron MYMer for it is still up!

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
"The victory is yours, then. A long time deserved..."
"This was my contest! Mine! How dare you let it slip through my fingers like that!"
So seriously, congratulations on the very well earned victory Warlord. Yangus is as deserving of a winner as Cornello was, and its satisfying to see it actually take home the gold this time. I know how much you've wanted this win, and finally it has happened. Congradulations!

Metireon 2nd is pretty shocking. I thought the set was good and one of my best, but my set library is rather thin on actual quality nowadays with Praetors and my MYM13 becoming increasingly irrelevant, and its a bit weird to see it having some close to winning. That said, it was definitely nice to see people actually do still enjoy my setmaking so much, and its fun to get so much respect for a character of my own creation. Hopefully next contest I can give you even better, its very motivational to see people like something of mine so much again.

Grunty is another well deserved high placer, and I'm pleased to see Smady manage to still get Top 5 with two sets. They're good sets too, Matador is really down to earth and well made while Kristoph's hilarious characterization and incredibly unique ideas are a great time. The rest of the sets rounding out the Top 10 are all quite good, though I feel it is a little sad to see only one set outside of Smady and Warlord place that high. Varimathras, Baku, Galf, Zomom, Jecht, all pretty satisfying and interesting sets.

Can't complain too much though. Its clear a lot of people outside leadership are stepping up their game, with a fairly solid showing from UserShadow and JOE this contest. For that matter, Muno's also been making some surprisingly big strides, and Froy was stuck only barely outside Top 10 with 11th and 12th place. Also, its a complete crime that O'Neill got only 13th. That was my second favorite set in the contest, didn't realize how badly it actually needed to be advertised. Lastly, he might not have placed super highly, but it is satisfying to see Brostulip get some sets on the list, you're a great new setmaker with tons of potential, and I look forward to you surpassing these already fun entries.

Lastly, I'll give a small retrospective on my own sets, since this felt like a bit of a developmental contest for me:

First of all was Malomyotismon, a set that managed a decent 25th placing. Its not one I feel too fond of, because it represents the fact that frankly my movesetting was starting to get rather stale. Between it and Karthus, they were just cheap attempts to replicate my MYM15 winner that had none of what made it fun. Malomyotismon is definitely better than Karthus and has a nice dash of ironic humor to make it possibly enjoyable for someone to read, but its just the same projectile setups I've been doing for years. I'm kind of glad it exists though, mostly as motivation for me to try new thing for the rest of the contest, and because it was good to get this character recognition as something deserving of mockery. Thanks for the inspiration Smady, as it was Kristoph that gave me the idea to do this, as well as watching Digimon Adventure 02's final episodes with you on a whim.

Juzo was uh... well, it was a moveset! It sure as hell didn't place, and that doesn't surprise me in the least. If anything, the reception is more positive than I expected when the first move is "ridiculously broken punch that causes you to immediately die". Can't deny I had fun with it, and actually feel like I made it pretty extensive for such a low potential character with the goofy chair mechanics and using the blood you get from severing your arm. Its not a terribly deep set, and one I'm not sure could ever really be balanced, but it was definitely the break I needed from Malomyotismon. Perhaps I'll come back to Dangan Ronpa for sets in the future, its not a good franchise, especially not anymore, but exploiting the nature of some of the characters is pretty interesting.

Metireon was something I created for the JOE OC challenge, and I actually have been working on a bit of a writing project for a long time so I got a bit excited about showing off some of what I've done. Working under the conditions was something I probably could've tailored to fit my comfort zone, but I realized after the reception of Malomyotismon I had to stray as far from that as possible. So I made a hyperaggressive brawler character with almost no projectiles and what stage control he had being designed more to benefit his rushdown than to do something defensive. It let me delve into risk-reward self damage stuff which I've always wanted to work with, but until Metireon(and Juzo) never really tried. Juzo was a bit of a practice run and this let me get more serious with it, and the result was satisfying. I'm not sure it really was better than some of the stuff below it(poor O'Neill), but the reception and the writing process made me for once feel like maybe I'm not a washed up hack after all. I gotta thank JOE though, it was his challenge that drove me to do this and it was a challenge that produced many interesting sets.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Oh cool, top 50 is up. Glad to see that I've improved from last contest – I moved up a whole two spots! ^-^

But really, congrats to Warlord, FA, Smady, and everyone else who placed. MYM18 was a really strong contest overall, even though I was really terrible at reading and didn't get to experience a ton of it firsthand. I will try to get on that next contest. One thing I will say is that the newcomer action was awesome this contest in particular, with Brostulip, Altais, and others really showing their worth and a lot of potential. Also the MYMini was a great challenge, thanks a ton Joe for hosting that (even if nobody technically completed the last week, heh).

MYM18 was definitely a transitional period for me. In terms of the quality of my sets, I don't think I quite topped my best from last time, that being TFH, and I had a pretty terrible start. But after growing throughout the contest, I think that now I've actually found a style or niche in terms of movesetting, between the two Bunker articles I posted during the contest and the characterization in sets like Yomi and especially Alolan Trainer. Characterization through mechanics is probably my favorite part of moveset design overall, as it's a real outlet for creativity and really fun to implement into a set. I also think I've grown in terms of the actual community itself, and stuff like Smady's Alola comment really was encouraging. c:

Looking forward, I'm super excited to explore my newfound style more next contest, as well as see what others have in store! I have several sets ready for opening day, and I'm very confident that they'll be better than my opening trio this time, heh. Beyond just movesets, expec
t more surprises frm me come MYM19!

Smady

Smash Master

Congrats to Warlord on his well-deserved win. It has been a long time since Warlord last won a contest, back in Make Your Move 8 with Dark Bowser, a set that was once considered one of the greatest movesets ever, that shows how far we've come since and it's great to finally have a Warlord win in the pantheon of our modern history. I don't know how it took so long, but if it was any contest this one certainly justifies it, as you definitely put out a lot of great movesets that you only need look at the top 10 to see their popularity. Welcome to the big boy club, fat man.

A big congrats too for FA, Roy, Joe, Muno, Brostulip, and to Jamie and Ivanquote for managing to vote in the end. This was a long contest and at times it felt like it would never end, but it was one of the most fun times I've had in Make Your Move. Lots of quality sets, more so than last contest. Frankly this is why I didn't run the table as much this time, too much competition! If only you guys had gone to a year long dinner again I might've swept everything. It's very satisfying to see us get into a better position and I'm more optimistic than I've been in years for our community's future.

On reflection, I'm very happy with my own sets this contest. They weren't all crowd pleasers, I obviously did not do as well as last contest, but I did better than I expected when I got two sets in the top 5, despite far more high end movesets and a very very concentrated barrage of Warlord movesets that made the top 5 super competitive. I'm really grateful for everyone reading my frequently typo-filled, imbalanced and unpolished sets, they wouldn't be half as good without all the feedback and constructive criticism I get from you guys. I'm still learning new stuff about this game to this day, even after all these years being in this community, helped along by new guys like Muno and Jamie especially, thank you and everyone else for keeping this challenging and fun.

My main goal this thread was to maintain my quantity of sets, and I succeeded, and then some! 11 sets, compared to 10 last contest. I also wanted to make my sets a little different from before, because I do tend to fall back into the safety of minion sets at times, so this contest was a big learning curve. It was quite refreshing to try out new things, and I'll continue to try out new styles next contest, because it's just boring and predictable otherwise. I was fairly surprised how well sets like Michael and Kristoph did, I made them over a couple of days for the most part! But once again I've learnt a lot of new things from the experience. Lets make it to MYMXX!

There are a few announcements I want to make in the thread, so here we go:

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Next contest will be different from the others in MYM's history. We'll be trying a new approach: instead of going on for as long as it takes to get 100 sets, MYM will instead go on for a set deadline. So if you were ever someone who asked "when does this thread end?" well, we'll now be able to answer that! This will mean we'll get less sets and instead of having a "top 50," we'll simply take the top 50 voted sets at the end.

This is going to make things much easier for people who want to keep up on sets in the thread, but don't have time to read 100 sets over almost a year. No more stalling, no more arbitrary and archaic numbers to meet. This should also make it easier to get on the top 50. Consider this somewhat of a reset of how MYM is run, as we've never done a fundamental change like this, but it is definitely time we approach MYM in a new way.

So to summarize:

MYM19 will go on for 5-6 months (to be decided) and there will be a set deadline given when the thread is posted by FrozenRoy.

On top of this, there will a change to a bunch of systems in MYM19 to further reflect the changing times.

Munomario will be running a new MYMini where you can make things like Pokeballs, assist trophies, stages, a set of specials, anything not a full moveset. We desperately need more commenting and this will hopefully push people like Warlord and Roy to post their rankcoms in the thread, and everyone else to chip in. When you comment, you'll get a super special token that will be entered into a lucky draw, and if you win you can create a mini of your choosing for everyone to try! More to come from Muno on this project so stay tuned.

Joe's OC contest will return and warp into a new mini-contest that will involve making sets around a whole series. I've seen a little of what he has planned and it's all very exciting, so anyone who was in the JOE-C contest this time that produced Jecht, Galf, Metireon, Garnet and Yomi should be interested in this, as well as anyone else who finds it cool. I'm very excited for this one.

URs will make a return, and there'll be a change in how they are run to make them easier to keep posting. Hopefully this time the team of me and Roy can keep them coming out, and if we do they'll be tied heavily into maybe Muno's idea as well, I always love running the URs and more excited than ever to bring them back in a new format.

FA has suggested a change to votes that will mean you get to add a + to your favourite SV, RV or WV. This is a work in progress, but this'll mean that you no longer have to worry about getting into the top 8 or 24 sets on a vote list, giving a little bit of leverage if you're the top of a given group. This'll also let you pick your favourite set in the contest to give a small boost to! Or not, this is entirely optional, but should add a new layer of competitiveness to proceedings.

Oh also a side note, I would like a new stadium banner, or at least for the current existing one for MYMdonalds to get a background finally! Been waiting on this so long I might just want a new one altogether. Any budding artists, like Joe, Reiga or even Kiwi if he's still here, get back to me with your best ideas. I think I can put these on a rotation so we don't lose any of these amazing banners.

Thanks for reading, and for all the good times over the years! Here's to many more years making sets together.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Finally got my long sought after MYM win! It's a lot more difficult with the varied personalities we have with voters, but it happened. I've really been gunning for one for quite some time, most directly in 16 with Cornello, which was about as competitive as this hyper competitive contest. I would still say Cornello's my second, but Yangus is an actual definitive set to top it with and actually deservedly achieve that win. For something in my style to really stick out as winner material, it has to be incredibly ambitious and takes a lot more effort than some old stuff. This was quite definitively my most ambitious contest within the actual contents of my 7 sets - while Detheroc and Garithos obviously did not live up to their ambitions, they were still major productions intended to be AAA sets and took a lot out of me as opposed to, say, Polpo or Hatchan.

This contest really has taken a turn for getting a lot more numbers exactly correct and fine tuning of sets. So much has to be gone through to legitimize sets that are practically guilty until proven innocent, and it's far more difficult with sets this ambitious. No matter how well you think you have thought it out, you will have to defend the set on several points now if it's remotely complex. Hopefully more actual discussion can happen on sets in the future that is more constructive, and reading can occur as the contest goes on. I know I was a big problem with this myself, but having experienced it firsthand, it really does a whole world of good to read early and get your opinions out.

I pretty heavily preferred the first half of Smady's contest with Kristoph and O'Neill and of course agree with FA that O'Neill was pretty destroyed when he was considered one of the biggest candidates to win for a while, a victim of the late readings. Smady too certainly got tarred with the nitpicking brush with Goronu, and that seems to have influenced some of his final sets. Jecht and Michael were still excellent additions to the library, though, and show that it is possible for him to meet these new very difficult to meet standards and appease me at the same time.

Pretty much the only thing directly bridging the gap with me with these people is Froy's sets. The Butcher too was considered a frontrunner for several months even if we knew he wasn't one by the end, and I can certainly see why his favorite would be Artorias. He had a pretty great collection of sets and did a good job focusing on his quantity, though if his previews for 19 are anything to go by, I'm curious to see what a modern day "AAA" contest for him could look like and greatly anticipate it.

A special mention to Brostulip for the Conker movement, it really was a joy to read. While I only ended up voting for two of them unfortunately, those sets suffered from not being able to participate in the discussion, and it's pretty hard to anticipate the harsh climate of MYM 18 going in. Here's to a more positive outlook in MYM 19.

• 1: Yangus
  • 2: Father Cornello
  • 3: Varimathras
  • 4: Zomom
  • 5: Evil Sir Leopold
  • 6: Grunty
  • 7: Slon the Rook
  • 8: Lord Galf
  • 9: Lord Morgan
  • 10: Lubba

Last edited:

GuyHi

Smash Rookie
NNID
owensoccer
Good work everyone, especially MasterWarlord. Doesn't seem like Absol made it to any votelists, oh well, guess that means there's allot of room to improve. I have quite a few sets planned for next MYM contest :)

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
And so, MasterWarlord finally has won a contest! It has been a long time coming and I felt like this was a pretty fitting contest for him to win, as he really put out a good contest this time around and Yangus felt a lot more deserving and definitive for him. With me having won MYM14, FA winning MYM15, Kat winning MYM16, Smady winning MYM17 and now Warlord winning MYM18, I'm the one with the longest time from my win now! Who knows, I'm the OP next contest and I did win the contest I OP'd...but sample size of one. So a round of applause for a well deserved winner and I am sure that along with Smady, Warlord goes into the next contest as one of the prospective favorites to win.

Warlord is also only the second MYMer to win more than two contests, even if some of them are old: MYM6, MYM8 and MYM18 (A full MYM Decade!). If Warlord wins next contest, he'll tie Smady for the most contest wins of any MYMer with 4 (Smady has MYM5, 11, 12 and 17!), but FA can tie Warlord if he wins next contest (13 and 15) and he came incredibly close this contest, while I can join the rather elite 2-contest-wins club (Warlord, Smady, FA, Rool and Kupa) if I win next time...

But of course, there's plenty of other people who could win too! JOE, prospective leader, not only was pretty actibe this contest, but expects to be even more active in MYM19, and he hit 16th with Zer0 this contest as well, not to mention people like Muno and Jamie made some pretty clear strides as well. But enough about specific people, I'm gonna start going down the Top 50 and pick some sets out.

Metireon: The second place set by only one point, it was a nailbiter to see who we would be talking about getting their 3rd contest win! Metireon was a set I really liked and while I don't think many people counted it as a big frontrunner, I was pretty confident in the possibility heading into voting and hearing people's reaction to it. Getting 2nd was certainly a huge success for ForwardArrow and I certainly hope gives him some great confidence heading into MYM19, as Metireon was pretty clearly his best since MYM15. Basically everyone liked this set to some degree and it was certainly very worthy on its own, and it felt pretty great to have it be the "winner" of the JOE Challenge.

Kristoph Gavin: I knew Kristoph was liked and considered it another potential frontrunner and it got 4th, which is pretty fitting for the edgy Gavin, who is probably getting off to the 4 is death references he can make in court now. This wasn't one of my favorite Smady sets this contest, but when he makes four sets I can SV, well that isn't exactly a big downside is it? This set had some people who really liked it and was the set people said was their favorite set second most after Yangus (outside of their own sets) and so it was extremely deserving of its 4th place for certain. Manfred way back in MYM12 got 5th, so we can now definitively say Kristoph is OBVIOUSLY the superior character here.

Matador: Speaking of favorite sets, Matador was my favorite set from the contest, so seeing it manage to get into the Top 5 despite two Weak Votes was a real treat, and as I expected it had some pretty big fans. I'm glad to see it right up there with the other big Smady set in Kristoph and it is a style that I definitely would like to see more of from Smady in the future. It even got the ForwardArrow SV!

Jecht: The JOE challenge produced this set for 6th in addition to the 9th placed Lord Galf, 2nd placed Metireon, 14th placed Garnet and 23rd placed Yomi! I thought this set was a pretty big treat with the similiar style to Matador, so I am pleased to see it get so high. I'm sure it burns Jecht's ego to just miss Top 5, though.

Allen O'Neill: And the winner for most misspelled-in-votelists name in MY18 goes to... John Kasich Allen O'Neill! Or was it O'Neil? Perhaps O'Niell?? Anyway, O'Neill was pretty fun, and was one of the few frontrunners early on, but it ended up faltering a little, and I was surprised it ended up behind The Butcher, even if only by one spot. I will say that considering the quality of the Top 10 in this contest, having O'Neill around here feels about right: O'Neill was my 5th favorite Smady set this contest and it ended up the 5th highest Smady set, the most I would say is that it and The Butcher would feel more as anticipated swapped.

Garnet: I was pretty excited for this set when I finished it and while it did squeak outside of the Top 10, I was glad as many people liked it as they did, and thought it was really nice to see UserShadow bring out a high profile set like this again. In a weaker contest, this would be a Top 5 frontrunner style set, but in a strong contest like this and with some noticable detractors it ended up a still very respectable 14th. This was the most sets from UserShadow we've seen in a while and personally I hope he manages a multiset contest next time too, because his movesets are always a treat in some manner, with Colonel.EXE/Tangrowth placing right next to each other and Colonel.EXE having some people who noticably liked it in JOE and Jamie.

Zer0: I was pretty worried this set would get decimated for a while with the great end of contest rush and knowing WL/Bionichute didn't like it, but it managed to pick up enough of a solid fanbase to get just outside of the Top 15, which felt about correct for the set even if I liked it more.

Yomi Mekura: This may have been only 2 places higher than Triforce Heroes, but I do feel it along with some other sets like Alolan Trainer showed marked improvement from you Muno, and this set felt like it even had some stronger supporters than TFH, gaining a super vote unlike TFH. This set was a whole WV away from a tie for 20th, so perhaps next time you'll break into the Top 20? You seem to have a lot ready for opening day from what I hear, so I'm excited to see how you evolve from here!

Diancie: Probably one of the placements which most surprised me, I was expecting Diancie to hit Top 25 myself, not to get the same placings as your last Crystal Princess, although it did so against much tougher competition. This was a set which I feel was pretty underrated overall. It is noticable than Jamie also voted for the first time this contest, a trend I certainly hope continues into next contest. Try not to be such a stranger next time! If you get more than one set out a contest, you could make some pretty interestin' strides I think.

The Great Mighty Poo, Panther King, Professor von Kripplespac: Grouping all three of @brostulip 's sets together here as this is more of an address to Brostulip directly. While I was one of the people who in general liked the sets less than others, I am still pretty happy to see some Brostulip representation on the Top 50 and I do think you have some good potential. Lets see how next contest goes, alright? I look forward to it.

Marina Cannonvale, Doppelganger Tsukika, Doppelganger Shirogane: Once again grouping the sets together as this is thoughts on all of them a fair deal, I am actually surprised these all placed so low! Well, except Marina, she is basically where I expected, but Shirogane I thought was gonna see more Warlordian appeal, while Tsukika I thought would have a few fans elsewhere, but they just didn't manage the fans I expected, most noticably I expected Warlord to like more of them. Hopefully we'll see more Kat sets, though, because it'd be a shame if he went out on a 27th placing after all the joy he has brought since MYM12, and I highly doubt that his quality is gonna be put out to pasture so soon.

Excitebiker: Not too much to say here but I just wanted to say I was surprised this set placed and even got an RV! Just goes to show you that making a set you think is "simple" or "throwaway" isn't bad, sometimes it garners a surprising fan base!

Now then, you may have noticed something missing from a T50 Retrospective and that is discussion of the user's own sets. That is because I have decided to tackle them 1-by-1 and didn't want them to interrupt my discussion of everyone else, so lets have at it!

Artorias the Abysswalker: This set may have just missed T10 by about as close as you can, tied for 10th and losing the tiebreaker by 1 point!, but the fact that it was my highest placing set makes me very happy, as I was expecting it to get bumped off of a lot of SV lists for 10th~ RV or so and I was worried it would end up below Gluth and The Butcher. Artorias was a set that I was personally very happy with when making and put a lot of effort into, but thought it wouldn't go over terribly well with people. Obviously I was mistaken! I didn't have a lot of confidence in this being a successful set when posted, but I did also set out to accomplish essentially everything I wanted (I wanted to make some MUs I did not end up doing) in this set. In this regard, it reminds me of my MYM15 Youmu Konpaku moveset, which followed a similiar arc.

I also thought this set was an especially strong showing of Artorias' character that was really captured well here and that overall it captured the feel of a Dark Souls game incredibly well. Thank you, everyone who supported this set!

The Butcher: The Butcher was a set I made slowly, was planned out a fair deal before the start of the contest, finished just barely outside of the Top 10 and was my other quite liked set. Despite that, overall this set left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth by the end, and I thought it was my most overrated set this contest. I do quite like the mechanic and I thought the set had a lot of fun stuff with the gameplay around the blood droplets, the flavor of the set is quite palpable and it DOES have some neat melee, plus the Furnace Blast...

But the melee ultimately disappointed me a lot, coming off of Count Dooku and especially after writing Artorias and seeing sets like Matador, Jecht and Metireon. I find it very unmemorable compared to my other sets and I was reaching for a decent deal of them, and I ultimately felt like the melee game was not as cohesive as I'd like. That's not to say the set is BAD, but I just ultimately felt that it was more of a good set then a great one, and I don't think it'll be looked back on as fondly as some others.

Anti-Mage: 17th! If you had told me when I was making this set it would be my 3rd highest placing set and beat out Gluth and Zyra, I would probably not have believed you. This set had one of my more interesting design periods in my career, being made in small chunks, practically one move or less a day for like two weeks, as I worked on other sets and got stuck or just wanted to work on things but wasn't sure what, specifically Artorias and my unreleased Antonidas set (which maybe I will release next contest?). The last half of this moveset was made in basically one day when I decided I should push it out after I had written so much. I didn't think much of the set making it and wasn't sure it would place, I figured it would place low though.

People's reactions to the set did improve my opinion of it though, although I still wouldn't say it is one of my best either, I also feel it is more of a 7 star-ish good set, nonetheless it had some noticable people who liked it, with a surprising Warlord Super Vote being the biggest one, and I feel pretty happy with the set unsurprisingly. My shortest moveset this contest at barely 6.5k words: More words doesn't always equal higher placing!

Gluth: Glad to see this set sneak into the Top 20, this set one that had been a LONG time coming, being about 1/3rd finished all the way back in Make Your Move 16, so seeing it come out now and do good was a treat. I got some inspiration halfway through the contest to improve the set, which I feel probably drastically improved the set's placing and surprisingly put Gluth on two SV lists! I'm not quite sure if I liked it as much as that, but I would say I am happier with it than The Butcher or Anti-Mage, and it was fun to write for the most part. Fun fact: The reason I strove to get this set out was that I knew I had it sitting around and had made Ekko's Up Special. Since I didn't want Gluth to seem like he was ripping off Ekko when I had previewed him out and knew people liked his ideas and armed with knowledge of making Ekko's Up Special, I powered through and finished this set so it could come out at the same time as Ekko, although I posted Ekko first since I knew Smady/Warlord/FA would have some pre-thoughts on Gluth due to previewing the set.

The other thing to talk about this set is that it inspired two notable sets, Shadow Teddie with his pits, and the preview of Gluth helped inspire Yangus' Neutral Special, to have any of my sets inspire other good sets at all is an honor, and both Smady and Warlord certainly improved on the ideas, as can be seen by the placings.

Zyra: Another one of my opening day sets, Zyra had been sitting in my preview queue for quite a while, I made it sometime during 16-17 I believe? Specifically, I began work on this set after Judge Nemo was made and received and IIRC after Nemo had aged for me, maybe it was after I reread it some for deciding where to rank Cornello? Anyway, though, Zyra was made to be my own take on the "every move is a minion" style of Judge Nemo, so I went into this set with the pre-condition that everything except the grab had to make a minion, using the seed mechanic. I stalled a lot after the Specials and 1-2 Smashes, not really anything specific, just was generally struggling.

I got a few ideas for some of the normal moves and minions in the Standards after and ended up finishing the set in about 2 days afterwards, which is probably why the minions after were so much more eclectic. Zyra is pretty flawed I feel, like The Butcher I don't think I make the game outside of her gimmick good enough, but she is a fun enough set with people who liked her and a set I feel is still a good representative of the character and whatnot, and I feel it has some good stuff worth ripping out later too.

Tutankoopa: While I felt like The Butcher was my most overrated MYM18 set, I feel like Tutankoopa was my most underrated, as it was a set that I quite liked when posting (although it needed tweaks to fix many meme exploits I missed making it in one day) and I actually felt it was one of my stronger MYM18 showings. It was a set that, at the least, accomplished what I set out to do with it: Remix a Rool classic with a modern edge that nonetheless retains the ideas of the original. I don't think there's really many minion sets out there that play like Tutankoopa and that the set ended up with some pretty impressive depth while remaining down to earth. Terraforming, minion manipulation, projectile play, item play! There's a lot at work here.

I was actually hoping when this was posted it could be Top 10 material (as the very high end of what it'd do), but it was pretty obviously not meant to be even once the fixes to the issues were in, however I did hope it could scab out a Super Vote in voting at least, and that it would crack Top 25. While it did miss that mark, 26th in a 3-way tie for the 24/25/26 spot, Jamie liked it quite a lot and ended up giving it a Super Vote, so I am glad that someone liked it as much as I was hoping as I made it.

Joe DiMaggio: Joe DiMaggio 32nd! I was worried this set would even place! I thought Joe was the worst of my opening day sets and would struggle to place, but it ended up with some pleasing places on people's votelists and was even IvanQuote's favorite set of the contest, a reminder that small sets for fun aren't something you should just ignore, and that sometimes memes can be dreams. Joe was basically just made due to watching exciting baseball stuff, listening to Mrs. Robinson and thinking how I have wanted to make a new baseball set after Randy Johnson, so it wasn't a set I thought deeply about, although I did get some simple ideas to edit it to be better later on. Slightly above average and I am certainly glad I made it.

Electivire: If Tutankoopa is not my most underrated set IMO this contest, then it is Electivire, a set which felt somewhat ignored by the end but which I personally quite enjoyed making, although I did need to repeatedly tone the power of the set down. Not surprising, as I intentionally tried to push this set's numbers a bit to the edge and see what would happen. Electivire was my idea of making a bit of a heavyweight, rushdown style "Bruiser", who wants to get in close and not necessarily get very far, but doesn't do huge comboing either, and I felt he successful pulled this goal off. Inspired by DM's Electivire set, I also wanted to mix in a slightly more logical but similiar Motor Drive system, and made some use/reference of that set during production. I actually ended up feeling this set was on Zyra/Butcher tiering for me, so take that as you will. I can't be unhappy it placed and didn't expect it to go very high, so.

Dragonslayer Armour: A sequel to Artorias and what was planned to be the 2nd in a series of 3 Dark Souls sets, the Dark Souls 3 set never finished because I got a bit pulled apart by different ideas and characters for it. The Armour had a simple thought: He is a big, lumbering brute with a big defensive advantage that brings with it many statistical weaknesses and has to be tackled in a Dark Soulsian manner, and which specifically allows him to approach projectile opponents in a Scizor/Chesnaught style. The Thunder mechanics ended up being my favorite part of the set and I would really like to make a set more fully exploring this concept. Ultimately ended up about where I expected and I like the set, but it is another set with pretty extreme balance and some other issues, I did feel that the melee was pretty dang good though.

Roy Koopa: Tied for 50th on the raw list, but lost to Kripplespac by a mere single point. I thought this set was a shoe-in to place over the ccontest just from snagging RVs/WVs, but it ended up only tying with 4 WVs as the top 50 was incredibly hard to get into, and I never made some edits I couldn't fully figure out to make it better. Considering that Roy has been in production since MYM14, yes MYM14!, just getting the set out felt like a good thing, and I feel it is a good set and better than Joe DiMaggio, although noticably worse than Electivire/Dragonslayer Armour. It wouldn't surprise me if I made more Koopalings in the future, who may have more success.

Leoric, the Skeleton King: Hoo boy. Leoric was originally intended to be a Halloween project, but not only did the set end up massive (Over 12k words!), but it was very unfun to write and ended up, in my opinion, being pretty bad. The melee stretches it, feels forced and while it has some pretty cool stuff like Forward Smash, ultimately it just doesn't make a good or coherent gameplan, the mechanic has some fun ideas but the way I took it compared to the other thing I had in mind with it (N'Dour and Geb from JJBA) just made it worse overall. It was a good learning experience, but I felt it was clearly my worst MYM18 set by the end, and a distaste to write.

Ekko, the Boy Who Shattered Time: I'm kinda sad this set couldn't get just one more WV to place, as it is one I am still undecided on, despite a lot of people being sure it is trash, although I wouldn't say it is necessarily good, as it is pretty flawed, but this is a take on a time travel idea I had that is similiar, although admittedly I feel worse handled, to a Yoshikage Kira preview I have around that I could still finish some day. It has the Gluth style Up Special here, not Anti-Mage style as that is more Mewtwo-ish, and I really got a feel for it here over Gluth, the move was specifically why I tunneled pretty hard on making this set and ultimately actually really enjoyed making it, along with the fact it is around the time I got decent with making GIFs and got to make some swanky GIFs of his stuff. Along with taking ideas from one of my old favorites, Youmu Konpaku, this was a set I had high hopes for on release, but which ultimately flounded. I feel this is another set with a lot of good ideas worth ripping out and in the end I enjoy it and had a blast making it.

Ultimately, MYM18 was a very fun contest, I was a lot more active than my memetic MYM17 contest and a lot of improvements all around from basically everyone in the contest: Smady, IMO, even managed to improve upon his glorious MYM17, and got more sets out even!

It all leaves me very excited for the next contest, which I will have the honor of OPing, and makes me want to start some new Projects up for it...

A great 2017 and Make Your Move 19 to all!

And...

Congratulations to MasterWarlord, for the win he well deserved to have, I'm happy for you.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
"Pain!
Is your reward for being near me...
Fate!
Won't be your friend when I'm around...
Blame!
Me for the tragedies that follow...
Grave!
The situations that surround..."

"Things that are precious, and things that are not. Things that mustn't break, and things that may. Tell me... who has the right to decide such things?"

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."

"It's fun to kill a man, to take all that he had, and could ever have."

"Grant me the strength to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

"People who want to improve should take their defeats as lessons, and endeavor to learn what to avoid in the future. You must also have the courage of your convictions. If you think your move is good, make it."

"Your human form is so...confining. You could be infinite!" "I am enough."

"Mark my words, Ashen one... You remain among the accursed..."

"The hated boss who beats you down and beats you down and never lets up..."

"I am on no one's side. My only concern is to see the lighthouse beacons lit once again."

"I'm not big on sermons. Broken bones teach better lessons!"

"A river in a dry land!
The last ace in a lost hand!
A heartbeat for a tin man!
Oasis in a singed land..."

Crystanium

Smash Hero
There'll be a new thread, we'll make sure to post the link in here when it's up which will be on the 10th. See you there!
Thanks for the heads-up! I know I only worked on one character, and she never seemed to be completely finished, but I've had some new ideas that I'd like to present.

JOE!

Smash Hero

FINAL RESULTS
In the end, the MYM18 Challenge mini cropped up 5 complete entries (not including my own example), a respectable finish! These final five sets hopefully got all the entrants thinking in ways they are not used to, encouraging to think outside of their comfort zones and make sets they would not even consider before! I know that despite there being a "Final Five", many more participated along the way. I am curious, what did everyone think of the experience, for making a set with strict criteria as opposed to the free-form normal MYM? Lets hear it in the thread!

Lets see what you came up with:

Yomi Mekura
Munomario777 Munomario777

Creativity: 7
Muno's entry is the only surviving "whip" character, as well as the one with the most blatant "Stance Change", the two archetypes fitting quite nicely thanks to the unique Rope Kunai she possesses! In summary for Yomi, the "Attached" rope style allows long ranged moves that offer less damage per hit/combo potential in exchange for more stage control, with the "Detached" kunai style offers far more damage and combo potential but with little range or priority. From neutral she can change between styles immediately with a press of B, but more interestingly she can change stances mid-move in some instances. A great idea by Muno was that during "Attached" attacks, you can press B to sever the connection and launch the other Kunai out as a projectile at a set angle per attack (a whip attack that goes forward will shoot it forward, etc), and thanks to her magnetic equipment she can recall the Kunai at any time with another press of B to return to the attached style, as well as create a "boomerang" type of projectile. She can also do with while wielding both kunai separately, by pressing B on a hit to stick the foe with the kunai to sacrifice her alternate press combo inputs (think like Link's Fsmash where she strikes with one kunai, then the other) and damge for some moves in exchange for a decent DoT on the foe and a powerful control option. Once stuck with a Kunai, Yomi can yank it out towards her at any time for 5% and knock the foe back at her direction!

This versatility continues on with most of her moveset, having vastly different attacks in each stance and the Separated style in particular having a variety of moves that have an alternate press or attack depending on if you retain both Kunai or not. In particular is her Down Air, which has a very cool twist on a landing hitbox where you have multiple options upon landing such as rolling away or doing an additional attack in a chosen direction. Speaking of, it seems that she could have an almost Falco-esque playstyle with this move! One example of a Yomi-Pillar would be to hit a raw Attached Dair, bounce up, then do another Dair but this time throw the Kunai downwards. From here, she could either Detached Dair for the dive-kick, or even press B to yank the foe upwards and control their tech option then Dive Kick if time permits, or even Dive Kick -> B, Launcher from Rope kunai and repeat! As mentioned in the set, this is even better if done in a smoke cloud, as it can obscure what option Yomi is going for in this aerial tech chase situation, which is a good asset for many of her "option select" type of moves. Something I'd like to know though is how fast she can recall the Kunai after throwing, not only for her pillars as I mentioned, but even for her cool throw follow-ups where you can toss a Kunai at them. Can you throw, Kunai, recall for great damage here?

While she has many natural combos and interactions such as this, I have to question some other decisions (some of which I go more into in the practicality side). The smashes in particular seem a bit odd for the power/animation, the Kunai Fsmash is just as strong knock-back wise as the laggier and more potent looking Rope version, especially when it can be a projectile? Its also a bit weird that the rope lacks a full charge effect when the Dsmash has a full charge on both Rope/Detached versions. The Rope Usmash is also a bit weird with how the rope can block an attack, is that like with Ryu's parry taking 1 hit? She also seems to have some manner of supernatural control over the smoke in her throws, which seems underutilized outside of those two moves and Down B. Speaking of, the Rope Dthrow is just.... yeah, I'm not sure why you would want to pick that throw over the others? Things like that are a bit distracting in the set.

On the whole though, I am happy with the results of how you pushed the weapon using the elasticity of the rope, the detaching, ninja moves and the Kunai as both a melee and projectile weapon!

Practicality: 6

On the practical end is where I see a couple of issues with Yomi. It is understandably hard to balance multiple options at once when you can swap between styles on the fly. Undoubtedly, you will run into the issue of Option A sometimes just being flat out better than option B. I touched on this already with the Fsmash, where you get the range and power with the Kunai version that you have with the Rope, but it is much faster and safer (even cancel-able with another B press). For a good example, lets look at a move I feel embodies this with the Rope Side B:

Attached Side B has a good deal of options, note that the initial "tug" on hit will deal 7%, so add that to the following damages:

Stab neutrally (6%, no press) / Stab Upwards (6%, hold Up) / Stab down (6%, hold Down)
Re-position with less lag (2%, hold back) / Yank out early (2%, Shield)
Throw Kunai (5% only as there is no 7% hit, B on start-up)

So at base you are looking at somewhere between 9-13% if you don't use it as a projectile, with decent re-positioning.

But then you added the ability for her to grab a snagged foe, granting the following options which I can only assume are still in the attached style:

Pummel (2% a pop),
Fthrow (8% total, similar utility to neutral Stab of Side B)
Uthrow (10% or 9% total that either sends the foe upwards or tech chases based on %)
Bthrow (9% that can KO near a ledge around 180%)
Dthrow which extends the grab duration...?

The damage goes from 9-13% to 9-17%+ depending on how often you pummel, and with similar positioning. I am guessing that grab only works on the ground, but when you have the option to I do not see why you would do anything else besides possibly the hold Down option from the normal to do a tech chase when Uthrow would be in an odd spot, or perhaps the hold Back option to combo into an attached Bair?

A similar issue arises with her Detached Side B lunge, in regards to the air at least. Firstly, her unique Air Dash / Wavedash seems more optimized for Detached use just due to how her rope aerials work. Aside from Dash back->Fair, the rope controls space in such ways that the dash wouldn't be too beneficial compared to the re-positioning of the Detached moves. But then, the air dash has a crawl input, making it go at an angle either down/forward or down/back, something the aerial Side B does much faster and with more distance + reward on hit! It just seems that more thought may have gone into one stance than the other in certain circumstances, which while understandable does take away from balance a bit, especially when at times she may not even want to swap stances based on match up.

Execution: 7
Instead of just going by the last criteria, I will be using this section to talk about the set as a whole and Muno's process going into it.

The play style at work here seems to be a zoner who wants to gain an advantage, then swap to the close combat stance to deal heavier damage. Yomi has other tricks too, mainly the Smoke Cloud that specifically masks her option selects more than merely just obscuring anything, making it slightly more effective in practice as it really masks the moments you don't want opponents to see! This I feel did the best at making the opponent feel blind like her as it takes away their sense of reaction. Moving the smoke felt a bit "meh" though as it seems like it'd be more frustrating than useful given you and the opponent would keep moving it back and forth in practice with all sorts of moves (not to mention how it is implied she has some control over it but it's very underutilized).

Each stance does the same "thing" with the A -> B press, which is great for game play flow. Attached style will launch the swung Kunai as a projectile mid move, and Detached will "embed" the secondary Kunai into a foe with them taking DoT and being susceptible to a further B press for 5% and light knockback towards Yomi at any time. Its a bit of a toss up here as while the ability to yank a foe at any point is strong, they can shake the Kunai off and missing a Kunai severely hampers the offense of Yomi for several key moves. Let alone preventing her from going into the long ranged Attached mode, in my mind it seems like the embedding would be best used to almost immediately yank the foe back which places more emphasis on the attached stance (which is also default), but also semi nerfs the detached in a way. For example, you are far more potent with both Kunai when detached, as many moves get halved damage or even lose additional hits all together when you throw/embed. You can always yank the foe/kunai to you for 5%, but then you go right into attached mode again. In a sense it seems like this feature is almost just to supplement the attached mode's offense than being a good mode in it's own, the flow going as: Attached -> gain advantage, swap via B or Kunai throw, do some damage to embed -> yank to more Attached attacks. All in all, especially with the varied attached Side B I feel that the set on the whole leans more on the attached side than the detached, which may go against the plan of a 50/50 play style split?

Total: 20
A great effort by Muno that hopefully put his mind to work in areas he hadn't before! It's great to see people try something new, and despite what I had to pick on above I still find Yomi Mekura to be a great set of this MYM. Here's to the future contests where Muno can build off of this experience.

Knightly Witch Garnet
@UserShadow7989

Creativity: 10
UserShadow's entry, the Knightly Witch Garnet, stands out as a "control" type character despite her appearance as a warrior. Using her coveted Mithril Thorn as both a sword and wand, she ultimately uses it more like a conductor's baton as she commands an arsenal of weaponry and armor to fight alongside her. This ties into her main mechanic as she "conducts" her lingering spells with the Thorn while not doing any other actions that'd use it (IE attacks), and if she does use the Thorn she will "pause" her other spells. This makes for an interesting way to time moves from afar as say, a weapon she ensorcelled to life could be mid swing, then stop as Garnet jabs, only to continue when her jab ends for a mix-up!

Speaking of weapons, she has quite the arsenal at her disposal with a very clever take on "stance changing". Using her Neutral Special, you can select one of 4 different weapons to summon: Dagger, Lance, Shield, and Hammer. Each of these weapons alter a number of moves (Jab, Dash Attack, Ftilt, Fsmash) much like wielding a Beam Sword or Home Run Bat whenever somebody is holding them, something that hasn't really been explored in smash with item characters, or MYM for that matter! They automatically perform their "Ftilt" when they pop into existence from Neutral B, and by pressing B again she can launch them anywhere within 180* as if aiming a bow and arrow using her Mithril Thorn as a smash-thrown projectile. Pressing A will have her equip the item immediately, and any other input will simply drop the item to the ground.

Each item carries very different properties, so I will go over them briefly. The Dagger is the lowest range/damage, but fastest option with the ability to scoot your character like mini Wolf Fsmashes. It also has a special ability on the Fsmash where clashing with an attack leaves whoever you are attacked stunned briefly thanks to some magic! The Lance is the opposite, being the most long ranged option but with some of the slowest moves. It's length allows it to act as a barrier when thrown at the ground that can take a hit or two, stab foes at a distance as a persistent hitbox when in use, and the magic ability to deal double shield damage on it's Fsmash. The Shield takes the defensive spacing of the lance and takes it up a notch as it actively reduces damage by 10% to attacks it clashes with, and leaves them with 5-9% in return for even touching the shield based on how fast they run into it. The inputs are all counter/stance like as you huddle behind the shield and hope foes run into it to stack both the natural recoil and the input's attack, or run into them yourself. Ironically despite it's armor and power, the shield is rather unsafe on shield itself as the attacks have decent end lag and do not stop you from being grabbed. The shield also lacks magic on any of it's moves. Finally, her Blacksmith Hammer trades speed and reach for raw power with each swing! The Hammer's other main draw is it's interaction with other items, able to repair weapons that have stamina like the Lance or Shield if they're her's, destroy other creations that have stamina with a damage bonus towards them, and even launch items as if they were soccer balls with her jab! The most destructive Fsmash of the bunch is found here too, as the massive swing makes a magic shockwave forwards as an additional hit in exchange for the huge lag.

What is amazing about this though is that enemies and allies can also use the items in these same exact ways! Aside from how Garnet magically teleports items to her hand instead of yanking them from the ground, there isn't anything different between her and say Yoshi wielding the items in the same way. This opens the floodgates for all sorts of team strategies or even counter play vs Garnet where perhaps a character she is facing uses an item better than she can! Luckily her Up Special still ensures they know who really masters the weapons as she can toss the weapon in any direction, including her Mithril Thorn, then variably teleport to it within a 1.5 platform radius to add even more variety to her game plan. Down Special can summon a suit of armor to protect herself from enemies with a clever defense mechanic where you gain super armor to attacks that deal less than it's current stamina (max 30%), that can either be a one-off attack as it is summoned with a punch / stall and fall in the air, or smashed to equip it onto herself where she can teleport to the armor (which can be a fun trick by itself combined with up B) as well as then split damage taken between herself and the armor, increasing the lifespan of both. Though she should be careful in that breaking the armor makes it unusable for quite some time and adds extra hit stun if she was in it!

All of this is well and good, but the icing on the cake is her signature special: Spectral Fire. Side B behaves much like Zelda's Dins Fire as a blue flame comes out of the Mithril Thorn and is controllable as it flies forward. She can cancel the input with any other and leave the small orb in place, or direct it into a foe with either version dealing 4% and a small amount of knockback as a very low priority trap/attack that any move will beat out. Alternatively, she can smash the input to wreath her Thorn in the fire and perform a thrusting attack for 6% + the fire's 4%! If she misses this hit however, the fire will remain on the Mithril Thorn until it is successfully used again, adding a bit more damage to whatever move she pleases upon a hit. This carries over to the meat of the move as hitting a Weapon or the Armor will cause them to flash with the 4% hitbox before forming a ghostly hand/aura to become animated! An animated weapon is carried by the ghostly hand and can fly about the screen at Ganon's run speed, performing any of the weapon's 4 attacks at it's leisure towards foes. The hands attack slower and for less damage, and have 20% HP and freeze for double the hit stun time they normally would when hit, as well as when Garnet is hit or attacking, becoming harmless. If struck, a foe can steal the weapon from the hand like grabbing a thrown item, or simply pummel it until it goes away / take the chance to run to Garnet. If you animate the armor, it becomes a more traditional AI minion as it gains the stats of Garnet when wearing the armor and can run about trying to punch foes. You can toss a weapon it's way and give it additional moves too though, allowing for much better offense and defense atop it's natural defensive mechanics at the cost of having no floating weapons. Alongside 3 floating fireballs, the animated armor or weapons can be quite the obstacle for foes, distracting them as they become targets or adding to Garnets offense!

This core makes Garnet feel less like a knight and more like a commander of the battlefield as she conducts variable minions and supplies herself and others with formidable weaponry. Something that perfectly mirrors her backstory and brings out her real personality through gameplay is just excellent writing overall. Smashes all affecting weapons is a nice touch, as is the grab game sort of "puppeting" the weapon. But the most fun I found was with the Tea Party taunt that adds what I'd imagine a hilarious mini-game to For Fun / Glory matches!

Practicality: 8
So the one thing I have to say right out of the gate, and a fear I had after seeing there are 4 weapons to pick from, is that one of the weapons seems to be overly strong. This happens to be the Shield of all things for a few reasons. Firstly, it negates 10% damage when "active" which I will compare against her own moves first, as if the enemy stole the shield:

Dagger Fsmash
Lance Smash Throw, Lance Fsmash
Shield stacked with max speed...? Shield Fsmash
Hammer Ftilt, Hammer Dash Attack, Hammer Fsmash
Armor Power-Punch
Charged normal Fsmash
Usmash 2nd hit
Charged Dsmash
"charged" Fair
(Throws)... though she has a very poor grab.

Out of her whole set, only a handful even break the 10% threshold and of these most just barely! She can always grab, but you go out of your way to state that her grab is poor and somewhat avoidable or punishable. On the flip side, the ability for a foe to get past this varies greatly as well, unless they can grab through her offense/etc. That is unless she has say, the Armor or Ghost Hands using the shield to gain a massive survival increase + passive hitbox stacking (how does that work with the normal moves again, does it just add raw damage to the attack and take on the attack's knockback?), or even with the orbiting Dsmash as it can probably take an extra hit than normal weapons + have better hitboxes? The latter I feel would be far more potent as they cover up the weakness of the "pets" given that the shield would greatly reduce the chance of them stopping by being hit, while also bolstering their passive offense as Garnet could knock foes into said pets to get that sweet stacked damage. After all, most knockback speeds would outclass Falcon run speeds to score that 9%.

Its funny in a way, it seems like it'd be balanced in how good it is to have for either party, but it then seems imbalanced in that it is polarizing for the other options or for who wields it. I'm unsure how to really fix the shield, other than maybe needing much more skill to "armor" through things like more of a parry, or reducing/removing the passive hitbox? Overall I feel she is very well balanced between the effort needed to perform some of her more potent abilities, and her natural moves having checks and balances. Its just that one of her biggest selling points/mainstays has a bit of questionable balance to it as well...

Execution: 9
The execution here is very good, though I do have a few nit picks. First, "Spell Effects" are a bit confusing in terms of how they are placed/discharged from the thorn and weapons. For one example, you mention that Dtilt discharges any effects (Like Side B) from the Thorn. So how exactly does Side B work otherwise? Is this just a mention of how it works normally (spent on attack), or is this a specific case of the effect going away on use? Also, does the 4% get added as a straight boost or an additional hit? That is very important for combating an opponent using the shield, FYI. Speaking of the magic effects, having them on the aerials are a bit odd though I suppose I'm not sure where else I'd put them. She has new runes, the ability to "absorb" runes in Nair and re-use on her next attack like Side B (maybe that Side B effect should have been this?), and the bouncy trap from Dair's landing hit box which is pretty fun. Though, do you bounce immediately by creating it? Oh, also she has a hover I had forgotten about until Fair, there is barely any mention of this ability in other moves/strategies!

Overall these don't detract too much if at all from the whole package, but did leave me pondering while reading.

Total: 27
Knightly Witch garnet is a stellar entry and really demonstrates what it means to delve into a "looked over" concept such as equipped items granting new moves. Atop all her other strengths like a fun armor system and ability to conduct the playing field with pseudo-minions and literal "conducting", US has made quite the gem this contest!

Lord Galf
MasterWarlord MasterWarlord

Warlord's.... Warlord, Galf, is best described as hybrid heavweight bruiser and summoner who uses minions almost like ammo for buffs, with a focus on sweet-spots in both styles. This dude made the mold for HMA's in his series, and rightfully so as his massive frame and cruel disposition lead to quite an imposing figure! at least towards humans, as he has an extreme affinity for his pack of dogs to the point of valuing their lives over those of his own species. In fact, he will fly into a rage if someone dares touch them! When enraged, his movement goes from sluggish to scary temporarily as he can both run and attack much quicker than normal, with an even bigger boost if someone were to KO one of his precious pups. If he does not wish to use his dogs as cannon fodder for both taking hits for him on top of boosting himself, he can always summon expendable villagers instead. These do not incur his wrath whens truck, but are faster to summon and can produce more or his unique Dog Collars for foes to navigate through.

Galf's Dog Collar is quite the unique weapon, even among the others this contest as it is mainly used to control those who you can successfully ring-toss. The trick is to land a tossed collar with Side B on top of a character, exactly as you would a ring-toss. Once collared,a foe immediately takes 10% and flinches, combined with a light DoT over the 5 second duration to total 12.5%, as well as taking recoil for any attack they make by a small yet notable amount which can add up to quite decent damage with time. Combined with his hard hitting moves using the Collar as a melee weapon, Dogs and Villagers tossing rings about this can all add up quite nicely and smother the foe before Galf himself is overwhelmed! Oh, and we must not forget his Up B chain tether which can put foes on a leash to limit the knockback they take or use his dogs to boost his movement speed much like a sled team to add momentum to melee attacks. Speaking of his melee attacks, he has quite a good mix of clever uses for the weapon + his gargantuan size and anger. A rapid jab with a timing-based finisher as opposed to a traditionally "angled" input is neat, relying on the position of the Collar mid-jab when ended instead. His various moves that abuse his speed boosts from rage is a nice touch, and I particularly enjoyed the Fair's landing hitbox of releasing the Collar like a tossed hula-hoop of doom! Though, on that particular note the animation doesn't quite make sense as described, he swings it sort of like DK's Fair, but then it rolls outwards?

What I really loved about his set-up however is the focus on using the minions he summons as ammo for various effects, rather than straight up attacks. On the one hand, they provide this guy some much needed cover from offensive characters by just absorbing hits/projectiles and in return boosting his speed to an actually usable degree. On the other, he can have various micro-management opportunities by giving his villagers rabies of all things to infect others with, tossing out a chicken bone to have the dogs or villagers perform a powerful attack wherever the chicken flies by them, hold his dogs to heal them or manually trigger his rage, or even grab his dogs/villagers to use as an attack via throwing them. Classic Warlord grab game right here!

The two taunts, as well as the general gruesomeness of his animations that really display his character are really great as well. Warlord has done a great job of bringing this one-off character to the limelight.

Practicality: 5
Unfortunately, Galf suffers from the "Big Slow Complex" where the dude ends up being too big of a target for his own good. Even if he can be interrupted in summoning a pet and still have it come into existence after a moment, there is still no immediate effect of summoning them like with say, Brawl DDD's pets acting as a projectile to at least immediately threaten space with. Sure he could toss a dog collar, but he has to charge it to get any distance and many characters could easily run right under it to approach given his height anyways, let alone shoot their own projectile to interrupt! The same goes for his chicken bone item as it too has a bit of start up to summon, then throw out at a height above ground.

His big frame and huge weight means that if he gets baited and loses neutral he is in for a bad time, as he then only has a tether recovery that needs to be charged for any significant distance which can spell trouble when sent off stage with his high falling speed. In short he would be much frailer in practice than his appearance leads on. In order to trigger a rage effect a dog needs to be attacked, but even then if a dog + him are attacked at once he won't gain super armor unless the dog is outright KO'ed, so that isn't even that risky for the foe to rush in when a dog comes out unless they toss a huge move that'd destroy a poor doggo in one go.

I'm sure in some matchups/stages he could get away with getting the dogs out to abuse the rage effects / toss rings for safety, but as mentioned in the set numerous times his height would often allow characters smaller than himself to just avoid nearly all his offense. Bigger characters usually have more range/power which means they are more likely to hit/kill dogs to trigger rage. On that note, they also would probably often be knocking Galf around on hit too far for him to retaliate given his aerials are all sort of poor for getting back down when juggled, and the range means they could often hit past a dog/villager to smack Galf too.

As much as I like the idea here, the "meta" around the character leads me to think he would not really work too well outside of fishing for a grab / space to start summoning his meat shields. But even then most characters could find ways around that...

Execution: 7

This is a great use of the source material here with various gifs and images to help with the set. I especially appreciate the inclusion of icons above the heads of grabbed victims to indicate when certain effects are ready. This alerts both parties, which can be straight up useful for Galf as intended, or even a mind game when Galf goes for a different option than what is being advertised. The way you have the loyalty of Villagers going back and forth and how it goes into the combined ring toss game is great as well, though this does bring up a fundamental problem with the set.

Despite being advertised early on as something rather powerful, it seems there is little to being collared outside the threat of the Up B tether which is also somewhat telegraphed by needing to be charged/etc. For how hard it is to secure the ring toss on an opponent who is moving about the stage at varying speeds, it seems like more could have been done with it? The actual tethered mechanic was a bit odd too, does the chain's HP replace the timer on a collar? Given how hard Galf hits / how easy it'd be to smack him around, it seems the chains won't be lasting long anyway until one party is forcefully snapped off, making the chain really only good for another troll Up B multi-hit before the foe is released from it.

These, combined with how he is missing a full charge smash effect (also what, is up with Fsmash's collar smash effect? Is this something for collared foes only? Wasn't too clear) is going to take some points off unfortunately.

Total: 22

Galf is a great entry on the whole for it's concepts and creativity, but unfortunately it is also plagued by the same great characterization. In Smash, a character like this would find it very hard to function without "get off me!" type moves, or at least a really reliable projectile. It was mentioned several times that his versions of these either require rage to really be good or naturally have a hard time hitting foes who could go lower than the initial throw angles. Essentially anyone faster than Galf without triggering him, or those who could hit back so hard/from a range to negate the brief armor/rage effects would get the jump on him. This is unfortunately a huge let down when imagining him interacting with other characters and something to keep in mind for the future, but at least the concept here is top notch!

Jecht
Smady Smady

Creativity: 9
Smash Daddy's entry to the challenge has probably the most unique take on a stance change out of nearly anything in recent MYM history. While the Blitzball may be his signature weapon, it being almost an ally with how often youw ill see it zooming to and from Jecht to allow him to space and set up effectively, the real treat here is his Up B: Jecht Shot. A somewhat normal "acrobatic flip" Up B at a glance, the twist here is that he flips and remains upside down for a moment where he then has access to his entire set, but reversed! This means his Dair is now his Uair, and vice versa, as well as the angles of all attacks to be flipped over to make launchers into deadly spikes!

Atop of this (below this? Not sure since he's always flipping) he has Waterga, a FF spell that allows the user to create spheres of water. This changes the physics of whatever goes through to behave much like swimming through water in a Mario level. Generally, everything slows down, you get to jump forever when inside, and different elements can do different things. Jecht himself can also slice the water to create "splash" hitboxes, disrupt movement, and more importantly delay the hits of his Bliztball and Meteor. The two act as his biggest zoning tools aside from his sword, as they can be tossed about for varying degrees of threat. The Ball can combo far better and cover his back, while the Meteor is a powerful spike on impact! More importantly, the Meteor can become suspended in Waterga to create a platform to perform upside-down normals if you lack a platform or roof handy. I do appreciate the dynamic here, but at the same time I do with the envelope was pushed a little further sometimes. Of Course Dair becomes totally different from a stall and fall, but Uair doesn't really follow a huge dynamic shift either aside from going down to a floor quickly, which he would do anyway due to high fall speed?

Delayed hits are a big theme as well, mainly from the Blitzball but also from the way he can launch foes to follow through with reversed attacks, making for a unique playstyle that ultimately has tons of ways to pressure and spike foes at the edge in true Jecht style!

Practicality: 6

Jecht still has the issues I stated prior when it comes to balance. Mainly, a character with good movement who then can also stifle the movement of others through both zoning, swordplay and literal slowing down with Waterga. One side has to go down here in order to be fair I'd imagine, as even with his relatively poor recovery, his onstage presence would be so good combined with his fun playstyle of pressuring to the edge /goal and going for flashy spikes, it may be too stifling in practice. Especially given how despite the overall poor quality, the way he can recover allows a degree of safety and finess to overcome gimp attempts outside of raw distance knocked back.

Also, it is a little dubious on how often the Meteor could hit people from random setups given the speed. Sure you could cancel it, but then it is still plummeting to earth at Fox's dash speed from not too high a distance. This also ties into other delayed hits mentioned in the set that just left me scratching my head just based on numbers, such as certain moves hitting a blitzball back out when it would really not be able to be timed with the return hit/etc.

Execution: 4
-No full charge effect
-No taunts
-No varied tilts

As much as I like Jecht as a set, concept wise, unfortunately you missed a lot of marks here for the contest execution.

Total: 19
Overall I really, really liked the idea of Jecht as a set. The stance change to merely being upside down to flip knockback is great and should be explored more, and the general playstyle was very fitting of the character if a bit iffy on the numbers between timing/stats. Though, as a contest entry you missed a good chunk of criteria, so I have to take away there.

Metireon
ForwardArrow ForwardArrow

The final entry of the Final Five, ForwardArrow's Meterion has probably the most engaging backstory of the OC's with him being the leader of a rebellion who essentially sells his soul for the ones he loves. The evil weapon that he confiscated to make sure the corrupt government could not abuse is the demonic Monolith, a slab of otherworldly metal that acts as a gate to the realm of Yeldritch, a powerful demon. In a twist of fate, Meterion almost falls under Yeldritch's spell to use the evil power to destroy the government that tried to use Yeldritch in the first place, ultimately costing Meterion's sanity and eventually his own life! Despite his fate, Meterion is seen as a hero through the rebellion he started and a great leader, inspiring generations to come.

In gameplay, the Monolith is quite the unique weapon pretty much any way you slice it. The shape of the thing is just a massive rectangle, which in turn allows it to be a great defense. Simply put, striking the monolith when it's active in either certain animations or mid-swing will deal no damage to Meterion, and instead knock him back for 1/2 the knockback he would have taken. This can be a great asset not only for simply not getting damage, but for dealing it too! If he is knocked forward lets say when the monolith was hit behind him from the wind up of a smash, the momentum he gains will add damage and power to the move as he swings!

Not only is the Monolith a formidable slab of metal, but it also acts as a doorway for various attacks to summon demons as hitboxes or other creepy effects. In particular is his Ftilt which has widely varied "mini summons" as tipper hits for different effects as a new demon pops briefly from the end of the monolith. The most potent example however is his neutral B where he essentially "opens the door" and spews out dark energy like a firebreath type attack. When he lets go, the energy still lingers about as a dark cloud that damages foes and can be absorbed by the demons as a fuel to beef up their attacks. Even deadlier still, is that the clouds will detonate after 10 seconds as additional hits of anywhere between 8-25%! It should be noted that self-damage is a big theme given the demonic sorcery at play here, with the firebreath harming Meterion as he holds it as does the cloud's poisonous gas. This carries over to the cloud's detonation being able to strike Meterion as well, which he can luckily abuse with the Monolith's momentum mechanic! He must be careful though, as if he is reckless he may end up becoming just another victim of Yeldritch as the demonic powers spell out his own doom...

As for other highlights, Meterion has a very fun take on recovery where he uses the Monolith as a projectile only to have Yeldritch reach out and yank him to it, as if not letting him escape the curse he has been burdened with. This adds a very high octane style to his offstage game or even general movement as he is the fun type of glass cannon where he has that "sweetspot" recovery range where it is very dangerous to try to intercept, yet rewarding if you manage. His down B is also particularly fun as you create a more "open" pact with Yeldritch in order to boost your own offenses in two ways. The first, is that all moves now deal 1.2x damage on hit for the price of taking 5% every time you attempt a swing (hit or miss). The second, is that when you Down B again you release that pent-up power in an eldricth explosion that covers Meterion and deals damage equal to each 5% swing plus the bonus damage inflicted per foe! Speaking of afflictions, his Side Special is also great both in use and characterization as Meterion uses the monolith to smash the crap out of some demon egg pod thing that tried to escape, and thus splash gross demon goo everywhere. Not only is this a strong move, but the goo deals DoT on everyone it hits (including himself) and nerfs their defensive stats, especially shield regen/health. All these specials can be used in a myriad of ways from hyper aggressive Monolith-mashing action, to more evil demonic manipulation with the goo/snap back features from Yeldritch, and anywhere in between. The set is oozing with well thought out features such as ways to follow a more "Corrosive" playstyle by abusing DoT effects and increasing them via "lashing" the foe, or a more "Explosive" one by abusing momentum far more to create multiple nasty playstyles for this glass-cannon. He even benefits from opting to do as much damage as he can to himself with his grab game getting stronger the higher HP he is at, with a ridiculous Down Throw is he manages to get past 200%!

Practicality: 8

As for the practicality of all this, I must say that this dude would most likely need some "number tweaking" in reality given the range and damage, as well as the self damage amounts. Those are all easy fixes though, but one thing that puzzled me a bit conceptually was the Clouds. They are a huge part of his gameplay, but it is kind of unclear how they can be used effectively? For instance, the initial shape of them is a bit hazy since the way they are created is via a stream of energy, but then are they ovals/rectangles/circles? Also, does the momentum effects work on them if he is in a bigger one and surrounded by the cloud? I am unsure if he will just be hit regardless, or the Monolith hitbox takes priority over his own when it comes to taking a hit. Either way it is a nice balance feature that he himself can be hit by the ridiculous larger clouds, making the risk/reward play-style dependent in a way.

Down B should probably have some form of "soft cap" on the max damage it can deal (outside 999%). Given it is always 5%+X% bonus damage, after like 2-3 hits he could easily deal 30% from this or such. Perhaps like, after storing X%, each subsequent hit dealt only grants some fraction of the charge or an always-on diminishing return? I know Meterion is all about pushing the envelope on how much you are willing to risk to end fights fast, but depending on how this could work it could take away from his multiple playstyles and instead make this the best by default.

Everything else seems fine conceptually to me though, with nothing really sticking out in particular as you had gone out of your way to say how slow he is when attacking as well as give reasonable numbers to his big range hits. Something I like here is also how even with how crazy the damage can get, you still have so much risk and setup you need to pull off to even try and if the slightest miscalculation occurs he is done for, a nice touch!

Execution: 9

-No Taunts
+Very in character with detailed animation descriptions and even reactions from him like in Nair.
+Also, an attempt at Matchups!

I had to take away a bit here as you are missing one of the criteria. A bit of a shame considering the other parts of the set that shine with characterization!

Total: 27

Overall a fantastic showing from FA. A great character with unique playstyles that each fit what is presented to a T, its no wonder he got so much praise! I hope this has been a refresher for you FA, going out of your comfort zone with Meterion really seems to have worked out in your favor.

CONCLUSION OF MYM18
This contest produced good placement for nearly every entrant in the MYMini, especially Meterion at a stellar 2nd placing! Top marks for the challenge are shared between him and Garnet as well, and though it is tough to choose between the two as they tied in score... I would have to give the edge to Meterion as though Garnet was excellently crafted and a favorite of mine this contest, Meterion I feel better captured the essence of the contest with how everything revolved around him and his weapon. Garnet often would be swapping weapons and using minions, which is great but a bit outside of the overall theme. Congratulations are in order for all of the final five though, you did fantastic jobs!

I'm proud to say that the reintroduction of the challenge mini was a success, getting 5 excellent sets into the fold and hopefully getting everyone to look at movesetting in a slightly different way. Hopefully my feedback was valuable as well, but I would love to hear what the participants in particular have to say about the process going forward! Speaking of, I may have something already in the works for the next contest...

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero

MYM 19:
THE MYMER UNIVERSE

Seeing the success of several different studios ever since the explosion at Marvel, we have DC and even Godzilla getting into the mix of creating universes for their characters to play in. Heck, you could even say that smash is a representation of the "Nintendoverse"!

This MYM, it is your turn to join into the latest media craze and create your own MYMer Universe! This will be a contest-wide Challenge Mini that has a few requirements per entry throughout the lifetime of MYM19, as well as specific tasks from week to week that has to deal with your own "universe". Lets go over the details:

1) Your universe must have at least two sets occupying it from MYM19.
Sure, Iron Man may have started the MCU, but that's only because Nick Fury showed up! To qualify for the challenge, you must submit at least 2 full sets that are designated as entries. Ideally, they should also share the same franchise and story elements.

2) The characters of your universe must share a common "core" attribute that is unique to them.
Fox and Falco share the same spread of "specials", Xenoblade characters all have ways of altering their stats, and your characters all share a common gameplay theme too! Your entries should all share a common "core" to their sets be it a particular mechanic, twists on the same couple of moves, or anything in between. Make sure that when somebody sees the characters they can be related through this!

3) The universe will need a connected story.
The Mario bros are well, bros, and they rescue Peach from Bowser and Bowser Jr. They're ready to help her wherever she is taken, including Smash Bros! Why are your characters together, and better yet why are they all clashing in Smash? Entries should each add to the story of your universe in some way as to why they are connected as well as why they are in MYM-Smash!

4) The universe will need settings, side characters, world building!
Smash bros features stages from across tons of games, items from nearly every period of the franchises it features, and even assist trophies from games that are not represented by the playable characters! Your universe will need to include such elements as well, but details on that will vary as MYM19 goes on...

Each week will also feature a mini challenge related to your universe, so be on the lookout for that. Details on specifics will be coming the first week of MYM19, but until then lets get the creative juices flowing!

Speaking of, maybe I should let you all in on a little project I will be doing this time for the Challenge, can you guess who these are?

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Its the return of my Big Picture Post Plans! Although, hmm, it seems to be missing a section...maybe it will turn up somewhere...?

UNDER❤TALE

RWBY:

Yu-Gi-Oh!

League of Legends

Warcraft and Hearthstone:

Magic: The Gathering

Defense of the Ancients 2:

Kingdom Hearts:

Homestuck:

Diablo:

.Hack:

SMT/Persona: