• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 18 - Top Fifty Is Posted!

Smady

Smash Master

This is one of the best early sets in the contest when compared to the ending blitz, including a handful of equally great Warlord sets in Varimathras and Gruntilda, though I don't need to finish Yangus to say it's probably the best of all these movesets. Zomom should not be overlooked just for its earliness or some complaints about the logic behind its food causing Zomom to dash or whatever it was Muno said, no offence, this is simply a great set that puts a ton of effort into expanding the concept of food as a weapon. Zomom has several options for his food, the most memorable of all is his giant sub sandwich, but with plenty of other memorable foods such as the mustard and meaty bone. Zomom can choose to chow down and use the bare bone, or he can choose to eat up some of his massive sub sandwich to use it as a smaller weapon. It's a very fun playstyle where it revolves around eating your own weapons to change their properties.

That's not half of what there is to Zomom. Another very fun aspect is the characterization, which hits on both an ironic and serious level for the character. Zomom is both pathetic and glorified, as the set makes a persuasive argument for how fun this character is in the Sonic universe, at the same time as it derides the Sonic franchise. It's a fittingly self-loathing combination of derision and obsessing over such ridiculous Sonic clichés as running through hoops, the infamous Sonic onion rings used very imaginatively as a special and of course boulders, as made famous by Big the Cat. You wouldn't really expect for Zomom to do such a good job of representing the Sonic franchise but in spite of how much it mocks and derides Sonic, it's actually a lovingly crafted homage to the series in the best way possible from Warlord.

My Lickitung set was obviously the inspiration for this set and I can easily say this set outdid what I set out to do, mostly from the sheer effort and imagination Warlord put into the character. I never would have expected some of the stuff invented here, especially on the later inputs when there's not exactly a ton of potential. It's all fairly straightforward too. Zomom is not a complex character and his set is at its core, basic for the character, but as you'd expect out of Warlord has lots of depth too. It's also really funny if you enjoy breaking down the Sonic franchise to its fundamentals. A special gift is also there at the end of the set for anyone who wants to see the official Sonic character tier list that was somehow obtained from Sega themselves and is one-hundred-percent canon.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master

Marina is an easily overlooked set being that it's in the middle of the Mugen Souls, or Doppelganger Mugen Souls project that was posted by Kat mid-contest. The point of this project was to air out the closet and push out some movesets that were collecting dust on Kat's hard drive, but despite that, there are some real gems once you separate the wheat from the chaff. Marina is among the best of these and one of my personal favourites as it experiments with projectiles, a common playstyle this contest that was fun to see handled by Kat. This was one of the first sets this contest to focus on the idea of creating a projectile by combining a bunch of other moves into the cauldron, so to speak.

What makes this set particularly fun is that Marina's aerials and grab game has just as many fun projectiles and ideas as the specials and smashes, with a great consistency continuing throughout the entire set. The set has an interesting playstyle based around what projectile you choose, based on what moves you use, so that every attack has the dual purpose of attacking but adding to whatever projectile Marina wants to create at the same time. This creates a big ripple effect in the playstyle where every move potentially leads down a different projectile flow chart. This makes sense for the character too, who is a massive scatterbrain who just happens to have a talent for spells.

The set in general toes the line well between the chaotic aspects of the playstyle, when most moves are either projectiles or disjointed hitboxes and manages to keep it contained. It's all very chaotic, but not much more than your average Smash 4 set as there's a necessary focus on what is pragmatic for Marina's central projectile creation gimmick. For the sheer fun of seeing all the combinations and what Kat can come up with given such a fun concept, this is one set you don't want to miss. This project was Kat's major contribution this contest and it was a great surprise to see pop up, even a lot of the doppelgangers, that were meant to be redone later, are good sets, but this is definitely my pick for the best.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Make Your Move 18's advertising period has been extended to all of December!

Given the slow ad postings, some people catching up in reading and the fact that I am sure we would all enjoy some use of Christmas Break, the advertising period has been extended to end when December 31st ends (Or 12:01 on January 1st, 2017, if you prefer, although if you post them at 12:10 I doubt anyone would care to disqualify them), which should give everyone plenty of time to read and decide their favorite sets to advertise out!

Don't forget that you can always read during voting period. You have no excuse to give the gift of christmas and a brilliant vote list this new year's! Have a happy one!

Smady

Smash Master
This is not all the comments I'd like to make before the end, but thought I may as well stagger them out a bit, rather than wait to post all of them at once at the end.

Juzo
Juzo is an interesting set, that’s for sure. It’s not a long read and I’m sure basically everyone has read it already as a result of that, and there’s not much I can say to expand on the bleeding obvious. Juzo has a bunch of interactions at its core, hilariously cutting off his own arm but then giving himself a very short lifespan. You have to find space to do this in the match as it’s not painless and the set has ridiculous amounts of self damage. To counter balance the self damage, the set has equally absurd damage and knockback. And ultimately, this actually manages to work, which is very surprising, and says a lot about how competent you are at this, probably more than you realise at this point.

The characterisation is very nice here, both for the character and the series/anime. It fully embraces the meme, which may as well be the catchphrase of MYM18. It gets a lot of mileage out of a generic chair and some battering items. It does lack the nuance of actual; Smash 4 sets, primarily because it’s rushed, but could’ve looked more at Little Mac’s set for better execution as an example. You certainly could’ve done better melee than seen here though it would be missing the point, and I find it hilarious as well how this character is basically forbidden from being generic due to the stupid rule he must follow.

Of course the set has some problems too, that are fairly obvious. The characterisation is great, but you’ve said it leaves out a couple things he could ever have used on some filler-ish inputs. There are a couple of those to fill out. The aerials and throws aren’t exactly stellar sections, though I felt like there’s really only a couple of moves that are outright awful in the whole set, which for this character and a one day set is not bad. My only disappointment is really that you haven’t returned to finish off the proposed edits yet, as I imagine it would only take an hour to make this a decent 25-35 placer on the top fifty. I also think it’d be fun if you did some of the other characters you’ve discussed from this terrible anime.

Dr. Eggman
Davidk92 Davidk92 Hey there! I’ve been waiting for you to dive into a character like this, and I think it suits you better than the other sets you’ve made this contest, and I think is by far your best, though I will admit I gave my full attention to only this set and have little else to say about your others. I’ll make this a fairly detailed comment to make up for that.

First off, I am a big fan of your writing style. “Useful fear-mongering tool?” That whole bit in the first special too, all get off on the right foot in a fittingly verbose, but well crafted presentation. The only thing missing is some images. One thing I will say of the specials is I’m not entirely sure why you wouldn’t always have the Egg Wrecker out, when there’s no stated high start lag or duration to the move. On the same note, I’m not sure what the overall purpose of the barrier or Mega Mack are outside of a melee wall-range move and spreading some stuff on the stage. If these have some interactions later that’d be good, but in the specials you could’ve for example made the barriers interact with his missiles, maybe to buff them like a reflector? That’s become somewhat of a cliché recently but would be a perfectly valid way to improve the flow here so to speak.

This is a continued trend into the smashes, all the attacks do at least seem fitting but I find it hard to peg down Robotnik as any particular playstyle, whether it be attacker, or a big heavyweight bruiser, he’s mostly defined by prop use. While that is not incorrect for Robotnik, there’s not much of a cohesive character coming through from all these moves, and when you let the moves themselves define the set, having them all be props he takes out that limit the set’s potential. In the least, Robotnik could use these props in a particularly in-character way, but it comes across a little sterile.

To move on to the standards, the jab is a fun idea, although I feel like it would have been better if it was on the barrier special which really does not accomplish that much as a special, and these sorts of special properties belong on a special, not a jab. The standards here are pretty nice as individual moves, but continue to be hard to picture them as part of an actual playstyle for the character and would need something more integral in the specials to ground them. The down tilt is another move like jab that would’ve been better on a special, and would’ve helped to ground the set early on. As an example, if he could set mines, then use dash attack to dash over the mines without activating them… that could be something. This would help with the playstyle compared to stuff like the super high knockback on jab and utilt, while these are fun enough effects, they can’t accomplish much on their own.

A note on the numbers used here, I’m not going to tell you to use frames although that’d be a good improvement. Using frames is a bit much to ask though, unless you want to go to Kurogane Hammer’s site and look up move speeds, you’re best off just saying a move is slow, average or fast, rather than continuously saying 0.1 seconds. In Smash terms, 0.1 seconds is actually not all that fast, it’s below-average tilt speed. But it’s used a lot in this set to basically say “it’s fast,” when really you ought to just say that it’s fast. It’s not too important though, just a problem if you read the set literally and assume this is all meant to be balanced this way.

The aerials were fun, and I do think you have the right idea with making all the moves pretty creative, this set has a pretty good standard going for making all the moves stand out. The grab is an example of where you get tripped up trying to give a specific speed, as 0.2 seconds for a grab is actually really slow. Compared to most tethers, they come out around 0.16 seconds, not that this is that underpowered, but I doubt you really meant for it to work this way. I was never a fan of the Burn effect in this set, maybe if it worked into something else he did? I felt like the mine could be placed on the foe as a special and work the same way as Snake’s C4, then burning might ignite the C4 eventually, something along those lines. One smaller note is that it’s easier to imagine how powerful a move is by saying it will KO at a certain percent, and if you don’t say on who/what, it’s assumed to be Mario at centre stage.

The set ends on some serviceable, decent throws. I honestly kind of forgot about the Mega Mack and earlier stuff in the moveset by the time I got to the end, as it’s not really mentioned much, and doesn’t affect his other moves all that hard. Overall this set was actually fun to read because it has a lot of good animations and it’s got plenty of variety, but there’s just something missing about it. The Mega Mack could’ve done some fun mobility-affecting stuff on dash attack or other moves that have some extra movement, the mines and jab could’ve been specials, or even the neutral special could’ve been more relevant if only for pressure reasons. My best advice is to just treat your sets as if you have all the hindsight of already seeing them in the game, so you’re basically making a guide to how to play them, at the same time as making the moves conceptually. The more fun you can squeeze out of the character in this way, by giving their gameplay more depth, the better your sets will get. This set was at least fun to read, but you’ve still got some improving to do.

Varimathras
Varimathras is a very fun take on minions, in that he can betray his own minions, a hilarious and fitting concept for this character. The set plays on this for FFA and FFA politics, an old set would've abused this in very dumb ways, but this set always threads the needle between tricky depth and annoying abuse so that everything is fun for the Varimathras player and the opponent. There were a couple places this wasn't true before but I heard they were fixed, with the way Shades took over the foe. As it stands despite how appealing it is for a set like this to get abusive considering everything about the character and the concepts, it does a great job of executing the character, and that should not be understated.

The minions in this are tons of fun and very balanced considering how much impact they will have, and again make a lot of sense for the characterisation as Varimathras is a massive coward who hides behind his army. The investment is very extreme, requiring the lag of Zelda's teleport and then some to summon the minions, and it's got depth beyond merely swamping the stage in the minions. Every move brings a new consideration for how to abuse the betrayed minions or to make fun use of them. I also really love how the set references the WoW/Mario Sunshine bathtubs with the smashes, and I was impressed by basically every instance of it reinterpreting the Warcraft 3 spells and abilities. This is by far my favourite of your Warcraft 3 sets, I guess period. It's not too surprising considering how much material you had to work with compared to the others, this guy feels like he has all the positives of Warcraft 3, WoW and the memes we have come to love of these characters in MYM18, with none of the negative inherent difficulties. This and Gruntilda are both a ton of fun.

Conker Movement
@brostulip Welcome to MYM! I was very pleasantly surprised reading all your sets that you have a very fun style and some neat ideas, apparently you’re a lurker and I can tell you know a thing or two already. I did read Classic Bowser too, and I don’t think there’s much point in commenting on that one really, it’s obviously not to the standard of your Conker sets. Speaking of Conker, lets get right to the namesake of the movement.

Conker has some very fun characterisation for starters, and sets the tone well for the rest of this project of sets with how it’s ribbing on Rare, Nintendo and what have you. The Rare down smash and the vainglorious aggressive playstyle, full of blood, violence and weaponry fits Conker like a glove. As someone who never played Conker or any of the Rare games as a kid, I got an immediate understanding of the game and the tone of the project from this set, even if I didn’t read it first, it’s a good starting point and makes for a good barometer on the rest of the sets here.

This set does have some issues however. Firstly, while I am actually okay with the OHKO mechanic, it is a bit awkward that it activates on an arbitrary number. The actual idea works and I like that Conker can cut his opponents in half in this gloriously gory way to win, but it could definitely be more elegant in its execution. There’s also just some awkwardness in how powerful all the reflectors become when you compare them to Smash 4, where reflectors are already good enough without having an attack attached to them as well. The closest comparison is Ness’ fsmash, which is fairly slow and telegraphed, whereas Conker has far too many casual reflecting moves. On a positive note, I felt like you did a good job balancing the various weapons you can equip for the aerials and standards.

Overall this is definitely the weakest of the group, but it’s not too bad, and for a character that just beats people up with props and takes out mass props it gets a surprising amount of things correct.

Next up is The Great Mighty Poo, and of all the sets in this project, this one is obviously the most unique… experience. I don’t know if you know that someone else made a set for this character a long time ago, and I did not expect he’d get another, let alone one that is actually good. This set strikes a nice chord of the projectiles, the various manipulation of GMP’s, er, body size and his infinite range singing special. He’s always a big pain in the ass, again a fitting playstyle on the character as in Conker, but really this set does pretty much everything better than Conker.

It really has to be highlighted how great the writing style is here, from the move names, to the use of scatological vocabulary. It’s pretty much perfect. The moves themselves also get a lot more out of the character than I would have expected by squeezing all you could out of the fairly minor concepts of body size changing and projectiles. Part of why this one is one of the best ones is it has a better balance of say, the projectiles and the size shifting and “goop” mechanics, rather than seeming too lopsided in one direction or another. Overall this was actually really fun and I’m happy it turned out this way, rather than being a turd.

The Experiment and Little Girl is next, this one is one of the odder ones of the group, not because it’s better or worse (it’s actually fairly in the middle of the group) but it has unique qualities to it. The first thing is that it’s by far the most unique body shape. Poo has to constantly size down to keep up his projectile spam, Experiment is fairly big, although not that large, and stays that way. I think a missed opportunity here is not making more use of that. Overall though, I actually think this is still good despite being the second worst.

So this set does some fairly big projectile and minor minion interactions, it’s some straightforward and simplistic ideas like changing the direction or strength of a laser and absorbing attacks into another attacks. It’s quite nice as a simple playstyle, and makes sense for such a weapons-based character. The Robo-Spiders were also really well executed. I also feel like, despite the writing style, this has some of the best quips in the project, especially when it comes to the Little Girl.

There are some issues though, and this is the one case I actually thought the writing style wasn’t good of all 5. This one just gets too ahead of itself because of the interactions at times. I can figure it out just fine for the most part, but it’s a bumpy ride. For example I had some problems identifying what the laser smash does when it absorbs lasers out on the stage already, as it’s worded in a very indirect way. I can relate to going more abstract, but I would try and aim for the writing styles of Panther King or GMP in future sets if you can. Besides that, I just think this set is a bit simple and not the best balanced compared to the others, but still good.

Second to last is Panther King, and this set is surprisingly pretty unanimously liked by everyone who’s read the set. This may be the best written of the entire project, and that’s saying something considering how fun this project is as a whole for the writing style. The playstyle is also very fitting to such a meme character as the set makes clear. It’s very impressive that you chose a direction for a difficult character that actually lends itself to easy flow out of simpler moves, as anything but this exact approach would probably be insanely hard. The self awareness is also refreshing, even the note at the end of aerials was fairly amusing.

Mostly this set revolves around Panther King’s unfortunate table. I would’ve liked it more had it focused on other elements a little more, as it’s mentioned so many times, but as the core concept it doesn’t need all the focus as much as Don Weaso or the milk. The milk is a lot of fun on its own; I don’t think anyone has messed with Rage this creatively yet. It didn’t do a whole lot with the idea though. Don’t get me wrong though, this set was tons of fun, and definitely worth reading for anyone.

Lastly, there’s Professor von Kripplespac. This set is actually my favourite of the group despite some stuff you may want to fix. FA/ForwardArrow is going to tell you more specifics about that, but I would like to focus on some other stuff here instead. First of all, I really enjoyed some of the concepts here. The alien of course, one of the biggest concepts in any of your sets, and the fsmash are amazing fun. A common and pretty accurate complaint is how the alien works is fairly underwhelming and wonkily balanced, but I do enjoy the whole idea a lot.

I wasn’t as big a fan of the mine in the set, and really would've just liked the alien on a special if possible, though it’s not too awful where it is probably would make more sense as a command grab special. The mine isn’t too bad or anything, it’s just a bit automatic and direct how it can be ticked down manually, and flowing into landing such a powerful move is inherently a bit OP. Still, I can’t deny it is some legitimate playstyle, and you don’t usually see a set that works like this to play with explosives in this exact way. This set’s other problem is that it just makes too much use of projectiles for its own good, so much reflection and stuff again, probably most egregious in this set.

This was a very fun one for me though, I especially liked the fsmash and the alien throw, which were both excellent. On a general note, this project kinds of kicks ass, I must say. I’m very impressed how good you are at such an early stage, keep it up! I also really like the way you do stats and the way you formatted this whole project with the first link up post, it’s very neat. I can tell you put a lot of work into this, and it certainly paid off! Good job. Brostulip.

Gruntilda

Gruntilda's one of the most fun reads this contest, and I recommend it to everyone. The writing style is very fitting, as the fairly excessive word count is complimented by Gruntilda constantly mocking the reader over and over. That on top of creative projectile manipulation, in the most direct way possible of combining projectile qualities makes it a fairly definitive MYM18 set for all the projectiles we've seen this in this thread. Your take on the genre of projectile manipulation is interesting as it breaks down their qualities to simple concepts such as the homing magnet orb, the splitting up box, the momentum physics of the broomstick. At the same time, the execution is done in a way that it doesn't seem forced, as every move for the most part is done in a way that makes good amounts of sense for the input.

There are a couple of minor issues I have with the set. I don't feel like the grab game accomplishes too much for the throws, there's one or two okay ones, but there's obviously some filler-ish ones too. I honestly do think that word count creep has become a little bit of a problem and I am guiltier of it than anyone. The shared jab with Varimathras was decent, but the animation reminds me more of a neutral aerial and you already have a superior one. Some of the standards also just didn't seem like that good of an actual melee hitbox for what Gruntilda wants. The one butt stomp down aerial was kind of nice to have, and more of that would've been very welcome in the two later sections.

That's about all I have to say that's negative though, as I actually do really like this set and rate it among your best this contest. Where the set gets a bit redundant, it is always offering something new to the cauldron at least, so it's difficult for it to really ever falter. It's an absolute joy to read because of the characterisation and the painstaking attention to detail, easily the best Gruntilda set in existence, not that it's saying much compared to KK's set or Junahu's Nuts & Bolts Gruntilda. Apparently this character is low potential but you couldn't tell that from this set that would have you believing she's got 10x the potential of K. Rool. It's a set that makes me sad we'll never get this character in Smash Bros because of Microsoft, as it seems to be one of the most fun Nintendo villains.

Metireon

Metireon I'm very happy was finished and is easily your best set in a while. It seems like you've learned quite a few very positive lessons from your previous two sets about how to balance and not lost a whole lot of the charm at the same time. This is an awkward balancing act where the monolith gives massive hitboxes, is massively slow, massive powerful, everything has to be slow and cumbersome, and it largely is, but the set is able to augment this (still a word I love to use after Peanut described Death's portals this way) by giving a few neat tricks and extra hitboxes to moves. This isn't the way you handle every move, there's a decent amount of very necessary simpler moves to make sure his melee isn't all that flashy, but then there's awesome flashy moves that have the monolith summon demons for extra hitboxes.

It's hard for me to judge OC characterisation too well, as there's no series or basis to compare them to, but this set seems to do a good job of getting the character across. The only thing I could say is that, the character is fun, but I didn't get a huge sense of his symbiotic relationship with the monolith's eldritch abomination in the set. Most of the fun stuff I got out of the match up quotes, but seeing the powers alone was fun. Ultimately the set would feel very satisfying to play if you want a super heavyweight guy with a huge weapon, but has some flash to it, so in a way I guess that makes for a good playstyle characterisation. I do feel like there's stuff in here that's a bit too interaction heavy, like supercharging the cloud in down special, but pretty much the set goes out of its way to make sure it has enough fun parts and depth to satisfy anyone. Good job!

Papyrus

Papyrus is almost good, but there's a few pretty huge flaws that hold it back. There's some fun core ideas here and its balance is mostly well thought out, I found the early part of it actually a little enjoyable, up to the smashes. There's basically a couple of moves here I thought were good ideas, the move that throws a gauntlet of bones and the debuff you apply to foes to force them into jumping over the bones. The problem however is that if you don't land the debuff to reduce their jumps, then with varying success they can easily avoid the bones just by jumping over them or dodging/rolling around them. The actual move of throwing the bones is as well not that great in its implementation into the set's playstyle. It's basically the finisher, but there's not much of an interesting transition phase into it, you're always going to be looking for an opening to use it and the debuff.

Another thing the set could've done better in terms of implementation was the blue mode. This might be a stronger buff than what was in Undyne, but it's not got nearly as much depth to it, largley the changes are very small in the grand scheme of things. You could've made the changes deeper and give a broader playstyle. Stuff that is outright bad is that after smashes the set becomes very basic. There can be a few of these obviously but there aren't many moves after the smashes that seem particularly appropriate for the playstyle, character or the gimmick, just kind of there. The writing style was probably the most consistent element of the set.

I don't know anything about the character or game but I did catch he has a giant bone you could use and generally for a set about throwing projectiles at the foe the set hasn't got many beyonds the smashes. Smash 4 has sets for characters like Villager, Mii Gunner and Bayonetta that frequently use projectiles or long-range, projectile-like disjointed hitboxes (thanks Jamie), so there's no reason you couldn't have given a few more projectiles in the standards and aerials. As for the grab game, the obvious thing is just more detail on why these moves are even playstyle relevant. Still, this set is a lot better than Nautilus or Splashmaster. I hope you continue to improve next contest!

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Offseason Iron MYMer!

Many RL things have kept me from doing the URs and posting this (along w/ some non-RL things), although I plan to show them off when voting begins as ads count for points, but that does not mean that the Iron MYMer is gone!

Just like last contest, we are going to have an Iron MYMer that is meant to be for MYM19's Opening Day! Note that the opening date has yet to be determined.

For this challenge, the theme shall be...

New Horizons!

This challenge is really simple. To enter, simply post a moveset on opening day (24 hours or less after the first post, although as usual some exemptions may occur depending on circumstance) for a franchise you have never made a moveset for.

Newcomers should find this challenge a cinch, while veterans may have to go for some pretty unique and out there things to fit it in. Real Life and Original Character count as one big franchise, so making OCs for a universe you never did or a baseball player when you'd only made military men before doesn't count. Spinoffs count as their home series barring exceptional circumstance. Even if you made the set for the franchise 8 years ago, it still counts. I wonder what delicious surprises shall be brought out?

I should note that, like last opening day, there is no set limit for this. As many sets as you can make will count. Its a true free-for-all!

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Spiders-Vorgis

Oh my god, this might be the greatest set I’ve ever read, for entirely the wrong reasons.

Okay, first off, on the nitpicky side of things, why is he called Psuedo-Vorgis? There’s nothing in the set, not in the intro, or anywhere else, that tells me this, and it makes me very confused. Are you trying to stay in-canon or something? Is this a Vorgis clone??

Second, the N Special is completely broke, and it is wonderful. Its ultra fast, consists of a far more powerful grab, and boosts Vorgis’ stats no matter what. In fact, the guy can basically boost his stats infinitely, forever. And that’s where the minions come in. Sorry, minion.

There are five minions, but that doesn’t matter, the only one worth anything is the spider, which takes no charge, and can self-spawn even more spiders, which Vorgis can eat to get infinite buffs. The spider is the one that gets referenced the most, and two of the minions don’t even have complete sections, meaning they functionally do not exist.

Vorgis’ Jab heals himself, and has a massive, overpowered hitbox, and his Dtilt can bury opponents basically for free. It’s not like he can be knocked out of animations anyway, he’s too big for that. The standards are more complex than the Smashes for Pete’s sake, how did that happen? Why does he have an insta-kill Uair!?

A big problem, as said in multiple places, is that he just isn’t interesting. If he were competent in any way, he’d just be another boss set, it’s really only the bizarre nature of how these moves work that make it any fun to read. It’s slapdash, and feels very, very unfocused. About the only designed thing in it is Eating Spiders.

The only interesting thing is the grab, I don’t feel like I’ve seen anything like that before, but whoops, the grabs are also garbage, especially the debuff one. Basically, read this set, it’s amazing. Holy ****.

Smady

Smash Master

This set is a brilliant combination of fun ideas on every move and an amazing attention to detail, giving Yangus huge depth to his gameplay, managing to combine all of his many abilities in Dragon Quest 8 and beyond in one moveset. When compared to villains, protagonists tend to be a greater challenge to sum up all they do in just 23 inputs, including a grab game and standards where there's a lot of situational moves that aren't always perfect fits, and Yangus is definitely a challenge to all put on one set. Warlord manages not only to do this, but have an incredibly fitting minion grinding mechanic on Yangus that does a great job of explaining the Dragon Quest series. The minion special alone would've made for a very good set, but Warlord truly went the extra mile in implementing it strongly into the whole set and making every input worth its salt.

Not a single move hasn't got a fun mechanic to it and nothing is overbearing at the same time, all well balanced and thoughtful in their execution. The set not only manages to capture the feel of Dragon Quest rather perfectly, but gets the character down to a tee, from his tardier Underpants Dance throw to his signature abilities like Helm Splitter and Parallax. It's a flawless characterisation for sure, and that's not easy when Yangus has to balance about a hundred interactions between his minions, items like the up tilt crown and many other unique attacks that use unique weapons, this set is a giant mine field of awkward waiting to be unleashed. It's only more impressive how difficult it is to point out any problems.

Then you see the insanely long length of the set, and this is really a spectacular effort on Warlord's part to keep it all together at such a high quality. Out of the 150ish sets Warlord has made, this is if not his best, certainly in the top 5, surely an accomplishment. Not that you'd expect much less from a top tier set made by Warlord in any given age of MYM, he deserves a lot of credit for keeping such high standards for all of MYM's history and never falling behind, still innovating after 16 contests of participation. Warlord steady improvement ironically has culminated in one of his few recent sets for a protagonist, but it may be one of his best as he's unleashed from low potential one shots villains and is no longer held back by the tempting challenge of difficult antagonists. One of my all-time favourite movesets!

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Professor Von Kripplespac
So its probably been a bit too long coming, but I did want to talk about this set because personally speaking, I find it really fascinating as newcomer sets go. Rather than being too scared to dabble in interactions or just repeating the same one over and over, Kripplespac actually has a really in depth bunch of them that even goes so far as to include stuff like a ground chunk and a time bomb minion. The execution is not all there, certainly, but I do appreciate stuff like bucketing the manipulable projectiles to produce a substance either for the Forward Smash or as a powerful trap. I will say you do like to take a very straightforward approach to interactions, which is fine for some of them but as the set goes on it descends into a lot of redundancy. The aerials are the worst for this, especially when the animation isn't even terribly sensible for it in the case of Nair.

I'd say probably the most exciting idea the set presents is maturing a minion inside the enemy, sustaining it off the acid was a very cool concept for payoff. I'm concerned with the execution however, the power is very concentrated in the minion hatching and then the minion just runs into the problem of not actually doing much of anything once it comes out. Hell, the acid doesn't even make it stronger, it just means it does more damage inside the foe to make the inevitable time bomb aspect of the move more broken, when it already has greater power than Ness' BThrow. 45% unavoidable damage on top of that is kind of nuts, and its a lot less interesting to play against than a huge minion.

I am a bit more invested in this than your other sets due to having to argue about it so much, so I wrote up a log of things I think you could change about it to make it a very competitive moveset. As is, I still think its pretty good and better than almost all of the non-leadership output, but not that many people agree with me on that and if you want to compete for Top 15-20 like I think this set has potential too, here's some things you should edit:

-Kripplespac should be vulnerable to his own explosions. If you’re worried that’s too much backfire on him, the Tediz explosions can hurt him with half power, but the mine is too abusable as is. Also make all reference to Tediz explosions consistent about whether or not they hurt him, otherwise the logic comes across as bad.

-Alien is way too weak right now as a minion and too strong as a hitbox, and most of the power comes from it as a time bomb. Neither aspect is flowed into very well, and the time bomb aspect is way too strong when combined with the acid buff. Make the initial time bomb hitbox much weaker, but have the alien get bigger the more acid it gets from FSmash for both a hitbox that can eventually equal the original in power(I’m serious the original is that strong). Also the alien hatching should not be undodgeable.

-Down Smash and Down Tilt are not very popular moves, so instead maybe put some focus on using them to help hatch the alien or design them as melee moves that flow off the Tediz in ways other than exploding them faster or knocking them around.

-Remove the one Tediz disassembly throw, 5 suit pieces is absurdly strong and way better than a base Tediz.

-Acid bucket may still be too good, but if you make the Tediz and mine explosions fully able to damage Kripplespac it may be fine as is. If the Tediz explosions do reduced or no damage, increase the amount of projectiles required to 5 and base its power on the 3 strongest ones.

-Aerials are not a very strong section, but I’m admittedly not the guy to ask about how to make stronger aerials for this set.

With this out of the way, I am immensely pleased with your showing for how early it is in your career, there are things you still need to iron out but you show immense promise. Great Mighty Poo in particular shows you can write some surprisingly original stuff when you're given the right character, and Panther King is a hilarious set, albeit one with overtuned numbers. I might give them and Experiment more detailed comments later, but for now, good luck on your MYM19 efforts.

Knightly Witch Garnet
So when I talk about good non-leadership sets, I think Garnet is safely the single best one in the entire contest, and with GMP and Zer0 around this isn't a statement that's actually made lightly. The edits you recently made were pretty important though, the set was a bit low on effects to manipulate in the effects that did so and a fourth weapon gives her some necessary versatility. I don't think the weapon attacks are terribly fascinating on their own but there is enough effort put into them to at least make it respectable, and it obviously gets a fair bit more fascinating in the context of having them as floating minions. It helps that while the standards and grab game are not super exciting, their heavy specialization towards fighting with said minions at your side is enough to make them actually kind of great in their own way. The Smashes and Aerials provide a decent variety of fun effects to go with this and make the weapons a fair bit more elaborate than they would be otherwise, leaving the set with very little if any filler.

What keeps me from loving this set is a few things, but I think one of the bigger issues for me is the armor. There isn't really much substance to Garnet wearing it, basically being a small passive defense because the challenge demanded it, and as a minion its basically just an upgraded hand that sacrifices Garnet's passive defense. This isn't a bad concept on paper, but the armor is honestly quite weak and the execution on it is such that buffing it would make it too strong very fast, leaving it as one of those things that is just generally difficult to manage in general. I wouldn't make a big point of it, but I feel an armor wielding a weapon could do a lot more with it than just a floating hand, and it occupies a special and makes a minor transformation of the character. Aside from that, I will admit that some parts of the set I just did not find very interesting(the set cares a lot more about the weak flame hitbox than I think it will actually matter in game) so I can't say my opinion of it is as high as Froy's. That said, there's no reason to hold any dislike for this set, and if anything it makes me really want to see you do more.

Varimathras

Sylvanas has about 5 minutes before Varimathras betrays her, fails miserably, comes back begging for mercy and proceeds to betray some other poor sap in the burning legion, waits until she's making coffee and then betrays her again in still ineffectual fashion.

So I think everyone knows all about Grunty, Zomom, and Yangus now given their huge amount of press, and for the record, I think those are a great bunch of sets too. Yangus in particular is the best set in this contest and would be a shoe-in for best Warlord set if Cornello didn't exist as the only real competition. But Varimathras is a treat in its own right, providing a minion killing playstyle that's very distinct from Warlord's others of that type this contest, and very fun in its own right. He summons a huge variety of imps which he intends to, once they're at his command, betray to open a portal to summon doom guards. On paper you might think that betraying a more powerful minion sounds like a bad idea, but due to their cool and specialized designs the reward for betraying them goes up the more powerful you do. But it gets more elaborate when Varimathras gains the option to start betraying the very things he has made this big point of summoning, or betraying them and bringing back their ghosts only to betray their ghost because he is that obsessed with betrayal.

The ways you can betray your minions get very complex and fascinating, including a buff that gradually increases until it kills the minion, or a lava pit to create a mini World of Warcraft bathtub boss in with the imp mother. All this betrayal is also given some powerful payoffs too with the Up Smash, but its not a move you can use without forethought, lest you start betraying people you don't want too and causing your plan to go downhill. This minion betrayal moves also serve some simultaneous use against the foe, and while it may not be quite as fun as his setup stuff, his setup of mass betraying everything is interesting when you consider that it is constant, not too insanely snowball-y, and very much requires you to keep an eye on the foe, while still being powerful enough when it works out to be more than worth the effort.

This is all topped off by the glorious characterization, as Varimathras tries to emulate far more competent villains that now how and when to backstab people. This poor dreadlord is so caught up on the idea of that being the pinnacle of competence he basically cannot stop backstabbing everyone he makes an alliance with in the attempt to make extremely elaborate plans. The set provides big opportunities for his schemes to crumble, and for him to fail to be the powerful manipulator he wants to be, but a well played Varimathras can allow him to finally achieve his dream of being a competent manipulator. The concept of "fusion of character goal and player goal" is one that's sometimes used by idiots to justify bad gameplay, but here its something I think can be used as very genuine praise for this set. Go read Varimathras, and perhaps with your generous donation of a Super Vote he might even consider you valuable enough not to betray!

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
My second and last batch of comments this contest. Nice work everyone.

Storyteller
You may question why I’d even bother to comment this set. I remember it pretty well as it’s not too old, and I did have some things I wanted to say. The writing style in this set is just hilarious. It overstays its welcome a little bit and instead relies on some pretty memetic moves at the end rather than focusing on the character’s own hilarity. Mostly though, this set is a really fun read, I just felt it goes a bit off kilter after the smashes. This set does a good job summarizing the stupid plot of the Layton crossover and it’s half an insult to that game, and a well deserved one. Even Kristoph was not as insulting to his native game than this is to vs. Layton, and really, it’s not incorrect if you compare the quality of these two games.

I may as well sneak in my opinion into this comment of this game for posterity. This game has one of the worst prosecutor in the series (Barnham) who does nothing in the latter third of the game but is liked in the fanbase because he’s generically pretty. The Layton parts are too easy for Layton fans, the Phoenix Wright parts are too easy for PW fans, so it manages to fail in pleasing either camp. The game’s twist is basically the exact same as the one pulled in Layton 2 only spruced up a little bit, so while it’s not technically the worst Layton twist, it’s arguable it is when it’s retreading an old game. Though, it’s not as though Layton doesn’t already redo the same twist every game. For some reason the makers of this game decided that it should have no real villains ultimately and instead a massive plot twist. This is really not all that surprising if you know the worst parts of both series, but is every bit as pretentious as it sounds.

Back to relevant discussion, this set’s actual gameplay obviously isn’t meant to be taken seriously as it’s a joke set. The joke sets have become uncommon for a reason as, especially this contest, there’s really no excuse for a set to not be viable. This set goes out of its way to eliminate itself from playability through sheer terrible balance. It’s not like these concepts are inherently bad ones most of the time, some invisibility, props and minions aren’t that spectacularly tacky in the right moderation. It’s mostly a shame to me you don’t go out of your way to try and make these concepts work into something redeemable. I would love if this game, as painful as it is to go through, actually produced something fun in Make Your Move, I hope it’s not too presumptive to say I did something like this with Kristoph. It’s just hard to pay much attention to this as a joke set. I always thought as well even if this character is really stupid, he’s still one of the best parts of the game and his “power set” is pretty amazing both ironically and unironically, which the set actually delves into a lot, so I’m a bit disappointed it didn’t go all the way. Something like Juzo is a good comparison, even if Juzo also needs edits. Now I don’t mean to get too hyper negative or anything, this was fun, just not as much fun as it could’ve been.

Yomi
I must have missed the point where you started to make these super long movesets, compared to everyone outside leadership anyway, this and Alolan Trainer are pretty long even if they are multiple sets in one. This one obviously works off the concept of the kunai being separated or together, and it’s a pretty fun set, definitely adds another strong set to the JOE Mini collection. We don’t get a ton of rushdown-focused characters like ninjas in Make Your Move and I was surprised how much of the “character” you put into the set. Compared to say, Warlord who will put in the character directly, which is also what I prefer, you really do believe in letting the playstyle speak for itself, which is not incorrect as an approach. This set manages to feel very ninja-ish on every level, from its high bar for execution down to the animations it’s all a very polished execution.

I do think this set is a bit too complicated however, mostly because of the core mechanic of having two sets for all moves. I didn’t find that all the moves were that necessary from a wider perspective, they felt more like you were adding on to the mechanic or trying to increase the set’s implicit depth to the reader than actually expanding out the set in the way you’d want yourself. Realistically you could instead have focused on just a select few input sections to do dual inputs. As is this comes across as a bit of a shallow weapon switch mechanic when it’s so overly complex. The only time a character has to switch for a whole different moveset in Smash is when there were transformation characters, and they completely changed, I doubt a weapon switch would make the whole set different unless it’s something that heavily justified this change. I hate to harp on this but it really wasn’t a comfortable read due to the amount of time spent on all the secondary moves, and I think the set would’ve improved a lot had you focused on making one of the moves say, 1.5x as long with all the extra details that go with that. I also feel like you may be slipping into a bad habit of making overly long sets that have a lot of padding and must take a long time to produce, when you comfort zone is probably shorter, simpler movesets.

Garnet
This is one of the bigger US productions in recent years, and it’s fun to see this other side of you brought out by doing an actual OC, the execution’s very similar to Jodie, your other big OC set of recent times. This means tons of interactions, lots of complex animations and effects; generally this is very high quality when it comes down to the amount of imagination for each move. I’d actually say this set does a better job with some of the moves than Jodie, not sure if that’s sacrilegious to you, but I think you’ve grown as a moveset writer in the years since that set came out. The whole concept of a puppet master is already done in the game as Rosalina, but being able to customize the puppet itself a bit and at the same time create some disjointed/trap hitboxes is a very fun take on a zoner playstyle as well as feeling pretty strong for the characterization of the playstyle.

The set also does a pretty good job of balancing such an elaborate mechanic. The difficulty of doing this is pretty high when she can place traps and suits of armour all around the stage, but mostly I felt it did a decent job of keeping it under wraps. I was mostly impressed by how many fun concepts you came up with for every move, even in the aerials and throws, the quality rarely dips all that low, and with the all new weapon it’s a very strong contender for one of your best. I did have a few issues with it; I found the set got a little too interaction-heavy at times. For example, the dair creating a glyph that lasts for 5 seconds is a bit too high in Smash 4’s engine, and the nair saving projectiles I feel could also be streamlined. I felt some throws like fthrow and dthrow were a bit awkward with how they played with the grab state and having objects around Garnet doing disjointed things, as it doesn’t really mesh too well with the engine again. I’m not a big fan of just porting things like that to happen during throws, whether it’s making the foe do their own moves or you doing your own move to the foe, the balance is a bit questionable. I think this has to be a sign you’re not that super into the engine as some of us are, though, and it’s not a big deal, I just feel like it’s an area for improvement. As I already said this is one of your best sets and I’m very happy with it overall, good job US.

Lord Galf
I left this treat to comment last in this block because I have a lot of good things to say about the characterisation especially, and this set has so much great stuff in it for the character. This is even more hilarious for its characterisation than Morgan, this is one of the most funny sets I have ever read. I laughed my ass off at the grab game and the specials in particular, with the lethal injection, the fun time with dogs in back throw and the hatred of villagers. The formula of “lord who values x object over villagers’ lives” is taken to such a beautiful extreme in this set, it’s glorious. I was not expecting this going into the set, but it actually fits the Joe Mini pretty well as the character, while not an OC, is definitely the focal point of the set’s appeal.

The set has the same premise of the minion micromanagement as Morgan. It all revolves around specific punishment of villagers, feeding the dogs and affecting all their AI patterns, I especially loved throwing the chicken bone to get the dogs to attack and getting the villagers’ undying loyalty. Morgan had a few more moves focused on the sheer numbers of getting villagers to x percent, whereas this one is far more direct and less subtle in how it manipulates the villagers. This is most obvious in the throws with the two types of Reynolds injection needles, one that gives rabies, one that just does massive damage/kills dogs. The grab game is a lot of fun of course, but I also really loved the down tilt crouch description, and the pummel is a surprisingly good take on the OHKO concept. It could have slightly more to it than just “grab at x percent and they die,” but it’s not a bad approach.

This set does have some problems. The main one is that the neutral aerial effect on dogs is both very tacky and an excuse for about half the actual text of all the aerials, the nair itself is generic and fairly basic if not for the ability to randomly summon dogs to bite onto Galf’s body if they are near. The way the dogs just bite on to his flab without dealing him damage and are only mentioned in other aerials, as they presume they were written in this order, is just bad. I also felt the set is really scraping the bottom of the barrel on some interactions like giving the ftilt lag of putting away the collar so Galf can shave off the lag by putting the collar on a dog instead. Because of this, a lot of the mechanics with actually landing the tether and dog collar, while also being very difficult to execute in a match, come off fairly insignificant in the playstyle, when a section like aerials and standards could’ve made more mention of his obvious spacing playstyle with the collar throwing and leashing the foe/dogs. Nonethess, very fun, very good set, and a great set for me to finish out my comments.

Ranger-M
The good in this set extends to basically, the grab game, I enjoyed hitting foes off the side of the shield and the way you executed the shield grab is something I've thought of doing myself for years. What you did is very simple, but makes a huge amount of sense for a literal out-of-shield grab, good stuff here. I also liked some of the devices, but I problems really remembering much of the set. I don't mean to diminish your efforts here Joe, but your OC is really boring, I'm sorry. I don't get any personality from it whatsoever, and the mass props and different styles add some depth sure, but made me really miss the simplicity of Gaige who also had a defined personality but had melee that was an easy read. This set I would believe came from a Moveset Generator program. The effort is evident, but it would've been better spent if you scrapped the dual styles to focus on one set. Still, your contest was pretty nice overall with Gaige, Zer0 and Sandslash, so one set I dislike is no big deal. And this set is just your own addition to a successful MYMini project, great work on that, it produced some very good sets in Galf, Garnet and Yomi.

Tangrowth
This is one of your best in a while I think, this set is really simple, but has some strong parts to it, and I can see the mindset coming together. This is a very playstyle focused set and basically the opposite of Garnet. You're playing as a wacky monster whose range can be extended to surprising reaches, and he has some odd tools here and there like the ground chunk. It's not the approach I expected, I was looking forward to a heavy interaction, tentacle-based character, but this is an efficient approach for this character.

If I was being really interpretative like others, maybe I'd give it more points for how the set itself is honestly a bit muddled, but I doubt this was even intentional. That's the main problem with it for me, it's just a bit confused about what it wants to do beyond giving some extra range and some weird hitboxes, there's something kind of missing, maybe because of the lack of too much detail. It does manage to tick all the boxes to work and I think you learned lessons after Colonel. I can appreciate the inherent weirdness of what it's going for and it gets the character in a way that actually made me reconsider what I thought of the character, far more than those awful sets for the other members of the group: Magnezone, Magmortar and Electivire, from eons ago. You've truly outshone DM in every possible way and he's forever in your shadow. It's amazing how you've permanently buried your biggest rival in MYM at his own series, I did always consider you more talented. I say this as we got two sets for this weird gen 4, new evo group this contest that really delivered on those past failures.

Milla
This set definitely has good ideas, but is dragged down a good bit with how basic it gets and the way it executes on some stuff. This set simply has far too many reflectors. It has 4-5 from memory, and while reflectors are fine, she already has 2 in the specials alone, after that is extreme overkill. It's also important that when reflectors are removed, you keep in mind that the move shouldn't just be left bland and pointless. I also was not very impressed with the block and side special, there's redundancy there when the block can't be re-used in some other way after being thrown like a bomb or even WFT's football that has more depth. On the positive side, the shields were good, and I liked the general balance, it's just very, very underdetailed and the shields aren't mentioned nearly enough. Even if you gave some note on moves where each were relevant it'd make a huge difference. And I wish I had more to say, but the set is really simple. It's not too far off from being good though, as all the fundamentals are there, and you've come leaps and bounds since the days of Toa Potato.

Alolan Trainer
Edge Owl, Fruity Seal and Incineroar are all individual sets so I may as well break this comment into three. I'll go in order of favourite to least favourite.

Incineroar is my favourite by far of the three. It gets the characterisation very correct, as a heel/villain wrestler that resorts to dirty tactics to win. It was very imaginative to use the concept art poison mist as a special, and it tends to make a decent use of all the wrestling archetypes in there, even the dash grab that's apparently much improved as his signature move. The set is a refreshing character from you too when you don't usually do heavyweights, mostly middle or lightweights that have plenty of projectiles and are kind of bland, it was nice to see more personality in your set. I'd love to see more of this. One thing I disliked here was the grab. I get that he can be weak against shields, but there's other ways to do this than gimping his grab, it's just silly he goes out of his way to not grab people in front of his face like an idiot. I always complain about this in your sets. On its own though, if it was greatly expanded, I'd probably give this set a high 7 (low 8 if you fixed the grab and expanded a ton). I really want you to make this its own set in the future, it might end up one of your best ever.

Fruity Seal had to do a good job (or Edge Owl do a particularly bad one) to not come last, as I really hate the design. For reference this is one of my least favourite designs ever for Pokemon, which is certainly an accomplishment, but this set does a great job with the personality of the seal again like Incineroar and it has some really fun concepts as well. I really like the showboatiness in contrast to the heel/villain persona of Incineroar and all the tricks this character has up its sleeve, with a very playful personality. This has some of the heavier interactions of the three, and it probably does them the best. I honestly didn't find the interactions that great but this is the best executed of the trio. My gripes here were just that Primarina has too many tail attacks and that makes the balance also seem a bit iffy to me, I mean it's going to get the extra range, but also is put into even more danger when you don't list any intangibility, and its projectile/long range game is hardly that complex or integrated. Overall this one would be 6 or 7 on its own and expanded upon like Incineroar.

Lastly, and the worst one in my opinion, is Edge Owl, and I'm not going to even bother looking up its ridiculous name. Edge Owl's playstyle is so boring compared to the others, and it's a shame as the other two are some of your most fun characterisations, really this is a huge surprise! I didn't know you could have so much fun with these simplistic characters, I think you just usually don't get to make a set for a character who's not a Generic Nintendo Protagonist. Edge Owl though is just the aerial-focused one, and I don't care about the Pokemon syndrome, I actually think it's fine, but it's fairly forgettable honestly, and I'd give it a 4 or 5 on its own merits.

In all, this set comes out easily positive, but gets dragged down a lot by Edge Owl's mediocrity. I think it'd turn out better if the owl was given a more defined personality or if the set had more concrete synergy between the Pokemon. It's fine it's more 3 simpler sets attached for the sake of the gimmick, I'm okay with that, but because of that a weak link actively detracts more than if it had great synergy. I feel like that's a fair assessment. I have to say though, this was all pretty fun to read and I really appreciate the effort here getting it out for last day. I feel like at this point, the way you make all these generic mainstream characters and position yourself against Warlord's mentality, you're basically a modern version of Rool but with a massive amount of Smash knowledge and humility. That's all meant as a pretty big compliment in case it wasn't clear. I don't say it enough but I learned a lot reading your sets, all the small details are very educational.

Leoric
This set was pretty odd, you can really feel the desperation at later points because of how thin you're spreading the limited potential and this obviously lines up with all the massive breaks you took making this set. Ultimately, you just put out whatever you could with this set, and it could be a lot worse. I think your first mistake was in the way you made the mechanic in the first place. This is not accurate for Leoric, when in the game the ghost form doesn't even do damage and is just attacking to fill up his reincarnation meter faster, and this mechanic just means every move has basically two versions, making the non-ghost version typically the less relevant one. Ultimately it's all revolving around a ghost mechanic that just isn't well ported and the main set is not very inspired. It's nothing too exciting to talk about, but there's any good stuff in there, mostly when it is the skeleton Leoric rather than ghost Leoric.

The moves that made big use of the mace and heavyweight bruiser character of Leoric were definitely the best, though I wouldn't say they were all that great. The fsmash has the most depth of any move without using the ghost form as much, but then the up smash is 2/3rds talking about how the ghost form's move is very different. And really, the ghost form is just too powerful as well. The fact it has any KO moves, has good survivability that scales far too high, it should really be toned down. I'm not sure this thing should even really damage, let alone KO people. I doubt this can really be edited out though, and the best I can really say is to try and work in the ghost form exploits into the main skeleton form too. The tomb also could've been made a lot more use of, and it's kind of weird how that down smash and Skeletal Swing have unique attacks to hit the gates off its hinges. This seems like an obvious mechanic to make every generic mace swing be more relevant. Also I didn't like the one throw effect at all where he makes the foe have a status effect that gives his mace sweetspots. How does a mace even get a sweetspot given its shape? And what possible logic could a mace have to do this because of a foe's status effect? He already has lots of fsmash sweetspots anyway. Overall, this set probably just needed to rework its main mechanic, which seemed very painful for you to make after the first half of the set. But nonetheless, good work getting it out.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Are you a real MYMer?
Well, uh technically, nah.
Have you ever made a good set, like, like real Top 50 material?
Naah...
Have you ever made a good set?
Nah nah.
Alright. I can see that I will have to teach you how to be MYMers!

MYMER NUMBER ONE
MYMER NUMBER ONE

Now listen closely!

Here's a little lesson in settery
This is going down in history!
If you want to be an MYMer number one
You have to make an HMA set just for fun!
Just follow my moves, and dash around!
Be careful not to pull a Rool

NO NO DON'T TOUCH THAT

MYMER NUMBER ONE
MYMER NUMBER ONE
MYMER NUMBER ONE

HA HA HA
Now look at this set
That I just made!
When I say go,
Be ready to post
GO!

No, that set was awful!
Ugh, let's try something else!

Now watch, and learn
Here's to have fun
He'll be so frustrated
At all this stun!

HAHAHA! HUUGH WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

HAHAHA!

If you want to be an MYMer number one
You have to make an HMA set on the run!
But first, you have to come up with a master plot
The only problem there is you have to read a lot!

Just dash about
With graceful skill
And now,
stay absolutely still!
Don't touch- NO NO TOO MUCH STUN

Baaa ba daddily da da da, ba ba ba ba MYMER NUMBER ONE!
MYMER NUMBER ONE!
MYMER NUMBER ONE!

Look at all the sets
That I have made!
I think it's pretty clear
Even Warlord is afraid!

Be very very very very careful
Don't edit a thing!
You never know the problems
It could bring!

MYMER NUMBER ONE!
MYMER NUMBER ONE!
MYMER NUMBER ONE!
MYMer number one HEY HEY!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Robbie Rotten!

You should make a moveset for Robbie Rotten. I would, but I don't have any time at all. His Neutral Special could be the disguise, where he spins around until you stop mashing B. His blur changes color as he spins, and once you stop spinning he'll put on one of numerous disguises. This works like Kirby's Inhale in that it replaces his Neutral Special, and can be knocked off of him through KB or he can remove it manually by Up Taunting. His Side Special is the cannon, his Up Special is the ladder or random teleporting he does during his Master of Disguise song, and Down Special is...eating cake or sleeping. Sleeping functions like Jigglypuff's Rest, except it has no hitbox and after going through or being interrupted Robbie will think up a new evil scheme that temporarily replaces his current Down Special. Every move is a prop. His Final Smash is We Are Number One but in Final Smash form.

Offseason Iron MYMer!

Many RL things have kept me from doing the URs and posting this (along w/ some non-RL things), although I plan to show them off when voting begins as ads count for points, but that does not mean that the Iron MYMer is gone!

Just like last contest, we are going to have an Iron MYMer that is meant to be for MYM19's Opening Day! Note that the opening date has yet to be determined.

For this challenge, the theme shall be...

New Horizons!

This challenge is really simple. To enter, simply post a moveset on opening day (24 hours or less after the first post, although as usual some exemptions may occur depending on circumstance) for a franchise you have never made a moveset for.

Newcomers should find this challenge a cinch, while veterans may have to go for some pretty unique and out there things to fit it in. Real Life and Original Character count as one big franchise, so making OCs for a universe you never did or a baseball player when you'd only made military men before doesn't count. Spinoffs count as their home series barring exceptional circumstance. Even if you made the set for the franchise 8 years ago, it still counts. I wonder what delicious surprises shall be brought out?

I should note that, like last opening day, there is no set limit for this. As many sets as you can make will count. Its a true free-for-all!
This sounds like a lot of fun and actually what I thought would happen in the near future. I wonder what will result from it?

And now I have to work on different sets, because the ones I was working on were from old franchises. Ah well, I have plenty I can work on anyway!

Also gonna reply to this just to make this post more relevant:

Spiders-Vorgis

Oh my god, this might be the greatest set I’ve ever read, for entirely the wrong reasons.
You're very welcome. It was worth dragging this set out from its grave just for that, and to make people aware that the character exists in the context of Mugen Souls.

Okay, first off, on the nitpicky side of things, why is he called Psuedo-Vorgis? There’s nothing in the set, not in the intro, or anywhere else, that tells me this, and it makes me very confused. Are you trying to stay in-canon or something? Is this a Vorgis clone??
Ah yes. Well, you see, there's a funny story to that. All those Mugen Souls sets I posted this contest had been on my computer since like, MYM15-16, but I wasn't satisfied with them. Hence why I didn't post them earlier, I wanted to do the characters justice. They stayed on my computer for the longest time, until I brought them up in the chat and Smads said I should post them. I was still hesitant, but then I came up with the idea to post them under the title of "Doppelganger": that way I could post the sets, and then do an actual set for them later on!

Why Doppelganger? Because the post-game of Mugen Souls makes you fight against doppelganger versions of all the female characters, and Pseudo-Vorgis is fought alongside one of the female characters I have yet to make a set for. Actually, you have a good point about me not giving any explanation about why Vorgis or any of the doppelgangers are clones, as I just used the intro I intended for their real versions. I just wanted to introduce the characters to MYM, I could go back and edit that they are doppelgangers, but I won't because I wrote it here.

With that said, I don't think I'd ever get around to making real Vorgis because of how impractically large he is. Unless he started out Bowser-sized and became bigger by eating, because at the end of the game it is revealed that he was originally small. Even though that is spoiler and not how he is represented throughout the game.

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Gluth

I heard there's an achievement for voting for Gluth.

Gluth is a set that didn't really get much of a reception when it came out, for a couple reasons. One it was posted alongside Ekko, which was a somewhat controversial set and one that sadly did not sit very well with me over time. Gluth by comparison was a set with a very solid concept, but not one that fully realized that concept until a series of heavy edits halfway through the contest. These edits removed much of the worst filler and took huge steps to make the set's concept as good as you'd hope it would be on paper. Gluth is a character who is all about stealing kills, calling forth zombie chows and aiming to devour them right before the opponent gets the chance to take their healing. If he does so, he gets a buff across his set, which can stack to make Gluth into a very powerful set indeed.

The addition of material like the new Forward Smash gave a lot more substance to this set, as combined with his ability to dig pits Gluth can now issue some degree of control over his zombie chows. Its not perfect or terribly sophisticated control, so as to not make the contest over zombie chows too easy, and honestly is deep in its own right. It also makes the set play in a fittingly animalistic fashion, leaving the intelligence up to the player as Gluth just acts like a big angry dog in his animations and playstyle applications. The new version also makes actual use of the unique properties of the zombie chows, like abusing the status effect they create on their claws with a status effect enhancing throw. Of course, the melee game in this set is pretty solid too and makes fun use of its pits, turning into a terrifying and overwhelming threat as Gluth wins the game of kill stealing. So definently give Gluth a read, its my second favorite Froy set this contest and gives you a free achievement when filling out your votelist.

Goronu

As source materials go, its more fun than Triforce Heroes at least.
Goronu is a set that has not managed to be the most popular of Smady sets this contest, which I think is a real shame. The focus on execution in recent contests has made it very easy to pick apart this set's flaws and make it look bad, which really is not helped by an occasionally confused writing style that was worse on release due to Smady having switched around a lot of inputs during the design process. I think that's really a shame, because Goronu is one of the strongest sets conceptually in the entire contest and honestly we can talk about execution all day, but Goronu actually has some real strong parts to its execution.

Starting off with the basics, the set begins with some fairly exciting projectile manipulation. Not only can it do the standard time stopping of projectiles that's been seen in many older movesets, it can make them go faster or slower. It can make them reverse or blink around in time. This is all in one move and it already gives more projectile manipulation than some entire sets focused around it. *cough* Malomyotismon *cough* The set then introduces what is at first a simple skeleton minion, but one that achieves a great deal of depth when it comes apart to provide a huge multitude of projectiles once it breaks apart, and can be turned into many alternate types by growing one of its body parts to gigantic size. Let's not forget that there are some really cool things to manipulate that aren't just bones, such as the fantastic down tilt and forward tilt.

Admittedly, the set's got some cases of awkward input placement later, and uses a few questionable props at points. You really think that's inappropriate for a set from the CDi Zelda games though to be a little awkward though? Its almost part of the charm. In application, it is something that people who dedicate this time to this character will learn to work with and create some truly glorious projectile tricks with. As for the writing style, some poor grammar and moves that had an awkward editing process are easily compensated for by the set having a strong sense of humor. The puns in the skeleton minion are sure to tickle your funny bone. Also, its very possibly getting a batch of edits in the near future to strengthen its good qualities while minimizing its weaknesses. You might ask, why read it now then? Because even as is its a very strong moveset, and you can come back later when it is edited for only a couple minutes of extra reading. As MYM's readbot, I can safely say I do this all the time and its not as awkward as it sounds. So yeah, Goronu may be hideous, but when the contest ends and he's outplaced all your efforts, you'll beg to join him.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

Knightly Witch Garnet by UserShadow7898

Alright, buckle in kiddos, because I'm about to drop an advertisement for one of my favorite sets this contest: UserShadow's latest OC and finest set this contest, Garnet.

Garnet immediately hits it off with a solid backstory to the point for an OC that gives a good idea of what to expect and helps afford the reader an idea for the character that will permiate the moveset. The Specials afford the real meat of the set, though, as Garnet has access to a walking armory befitting her blacksmith nature, with a total of four weapons, in addition to a suit of armor itself, with the hammer being given somewhat special treatment because it is her favored weapon, which helps inform you of her true, harder personality. User Shadow wisely keeps each weapon fairly simple and to the point and relies on blending it with the rest of her tools to give them additional depth without making it essentially an obtuse weapon switch mechanic.

This gets even better, though, when Garnet's magical abilities enter the fray and she starts animating her weapons and armor, essentially turning the small weapons into 4-move minions, which is an incredibly cool concept executed quite well, seamlessly allowing transition from item, to minion, to item. Its the kind of fluid minion combining I find fascinating and it is kept with a lowkey base that allows it to shine. I particularly love the armor, the flavor makes me think of all those shows you see where the empty armor suit comes to life and starts mercilessly attacking the heroes. The fact that Garnet has a removable set of armor with pros and cons and adjustable stats is itself very cool and something I don't feel we see all that much.

On top of that, Garnet has a pretty cool game outside of Specials however, using things like a very fun Forward Tilt for example that involves ending lag seperation and feels like a true fencer's move, a Forward Smash that lets her throw out a weapon rush, dropping the flaming hammer on Up Smash that has a fun way to do a secondary effect, and a multitude of movement-based magic to utilize with her Mithril Thorn and save in various special ways, giving her a good mix of melee and magic that makes her truly feel like a magic knight. I really loved Garnet's take on the Down Aerial stomp, a very fun take on a very done style of move.

I, personally, also felt this set had some wonderfully fun characterization, both flowing through gameplay by letting Garnet play as the more distant manipulator...or you can just throw on your armor and start beating people with hammers as she truly is. Her Down Taunt for the challenge also goes above and beyond for this and I loved how Garnet will show her "true" coffee loving colors when nobody is around to see, a fun little easter egg, about the only thing more I could ask is special taunts with the hammer for the other two to show the rougher side a bit more.

Overall, it was a lovely set to read, bringing a fun idea to the table and executing it well. In a contest where User Shadow posted his most sets in a while, this was a very fun way to top it out, and I hope we don't see him fade away again afterwards. Even if you don't have it as high as I do, I implore this set to be read...or it might just haunt you like a big meanie. : )

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
For the few whom might give a hoot, I'm currently working on a moveset for Isaac (Golden Sun). I've wanted Isaac in Smash since the pre-Brawl days. I was going to post Luke fon Fabre (from Tales of the Abyss) first, but I've decided I'm going to post Isaac first. I've written boatloads of Isaac movesets in the past, but among all of them, none of them are as complex as this one. I actually managed to incorporate four different Djinn & Summons in an easy-to-use way. It's done for the most part; I just need to revise it a few times, then prepare the GIFs and whatnot.

At any rate, mine next post in this thread will include said moveset.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
For the few whom might give a hoot, I'm currently working on a moveset for Isaac (Golden Sun). I've wanted Isaac in Smash since the pre-Brawl days. I was going to post Luke fon Fabre (from Tales of the Abyss) first, but I've decided I'm going to post Isaac first. I've written boatloads of Isaac movesets in the past, but among all of them, none of them are as complex as this one. I actually managed to incorporate four different Djinn & Summons in an easy-to-use way. It's done for the most part; I just need to revise it a few times, then prepare the GIFs and whatnot.

At any rate, mine next post in this thread will include said moveset.
You may have noticed that submission period for MYM18 has ended. As such, if you want people to actually pay attention to your set, it would be a good idea to wait until MYM19, which I think is probably going to be starting sometime in January. If you need a post to do formatting in, you could PM pretty much any member of leadership (except Smash Daddy, as he has PMs blocked) and then simply have them leave the conversation.

Last edited:

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
You may have noticed that submission period for MYM18 has ended. As such, if you want people to actually pay attention to your set, it would be a good idea to wait until MYM19, which I think is probably going to be starting sometime in January. If you need a post to do formatting in, you could PM pretty much any member of leadership (except Smash Daddy, as he has PMs blocked) and then simply have them leave the conversation.
Is that how people practice formatting? I've been typing up my sets in Notepad and figuring out the formatting when I post it.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ah, I see. In that case, I won't mind waiting until January, for I'd rather have more than one critic's opinion. I'm not really seeking glory; just improvement of the craft.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Is that how people practice formatting? I've been typing up my sets in Notepad and figuring out the formatting when I post it.
I tend to make the sets in Notepad and then use Smashboard's Preview feature, myself. Other people use conversations. It is a personal preference thing, really.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Gruntilda

Grunty is a really good set, mostly due to how it portrays the character. The rhyming stingers at the end of each move are hilarious, and show the humor of Rare games really well. Her projectile manipulations are also fascinating as well, mixing and matching the properties is something unique, and the fact it can still backfire on her also works really well. I don't have any clever rhymes or anything, just saying you should probably read it.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Baku

Baku is a character from a game literally nobody besides me and a handful of people have heard of. One of those people is Smady, and the way he managed to translate the baffling projectiles into Smash is incredibly admirable. Like Gruntilda, Baku mixes and matches projectiles together, in a slightly less complex fashion, but still fun nonetheless. The one move that I would call tacky is the cake candle attack, but it ultimately does play into the playstyle. Doesn't matter, Baku is a really weird, good set for an obscure villain I really like.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman

A one day set by FrozenRoy, Tutankoopa has its share of issues. The writing is sometimes a little redundant and just a little heavy on pharaoh jokes, and some elements (such as the throws) are on the strong side.

At its core, however, the set has some winning concepts. Each of its moves coming together to form a fun camping playstyle revolving around traps and barriers that can be as much a hindrance to their maker as his opponent. With a potent and durable minion with loyalty issues that acts as a hazard, Tutankoopa uses his tools to ensure the opponent stays in "Chompy's" sights and capitalizes off of its aggressive nature with attacks of his own.

Character-wise, the set is on point with representing the not-so fearsome pharaoh and his attempts to scare off any who might challenge him (to little results). Between the ways his options can backfire and the small hiccups in his special effects, he'll find himself having to play smart to keep on top; spamming moves without thought won't accomplish a thing.

Overall, the set has a lot of appeal in its qualities: a central minion, zoning effects, and tools to turn the stage into your playground are always a hit with me in particular. The character is one of the more memorable cast members of the first Paper Mario game, and everything that made him a hit there is present. I feel you would be remiss to not give Tutankoopa a once over before casting your vote.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
TUTANKOOPA
Tutankoopa is a set people have mostly forgotten about... UNTIL TODAY! I found this set surprisingly enjoyable, mostly due to how it makes fun of the old, bad Rool set (Apparently, I never read it, but it came off that way) as well as making fun of how pathetic Tutankoopa himself really is. The Chain Chomp gives a lot of extra depth to the playstyle, thankfully without sacrificing another input. I love me some good zoning and minion interactions... even if the minion interactions aren't really there. The boss mode is also a nice cherry on top of it all, since its mostly an extra.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
PRAISE BE!

Michael by Smady Smady

A last day set to help bring along Smash Daddy's excellent contest, arguably better than his Make Your Move 17 even, Michael stands alongside his other works as a seriously strong set this contest that shows an interesting and new style from him.

The Specials are a rather strong centerpiece, but can also seem a bit droll at first. One should not be fooled by the devil's tricks in this, however, as they end up rather heavenly. Tetrakarn is a pretty darn good Special on its own, but the way it is worked into the set is extremely impressive and blends together a Counter, a Wall and the projectile tennis projectile archetype, and in many ways reminds me of a more advanced version of Weiss' old moving counter. Combining it with the Totally-Not-Fake YHVH, praise the Almighty!, creates a fun and interesting case where Michael has situational countering to both melee and projectile games that really fits the Law character archetype and are quite fun for the character, and YHVH himself is a fun take on the Mr. Game & Watch Bucket concept which has seen a resurgance this contest with this set, the similiarly great Grunty (You should all really read Grunty, by the way, because that's a great set too) and the interesting Kripplespac. In addition to that, however, I thought that the directional attack basis of YHVH was great.

The best Special, though, is definitely Heavenly Blade and its Heavenly Fields, a revisit of sets like the contest-winning Vector and my favorite part of the set, able to be flung around with Tetrakarn, placed at various heights and worked gloriously into his melee game, not to mention some pretty basic fun with the heavenly fields reflection which wisely opponents can also use to get back at Michael, although they will surely pay for subverting His will!

Speaking of the melee game, I did think it was really great, especially the Forward Tilt which plays with the Corrin Impale which I have wanted to mess with myself for a long time, the jab continues this contest's lowkey cool jabs with how it has these really fun ways it can work with the Tetrakarn and as a normal jab into his game, Dash Attack on Heavenly Blade or the Tetrakarns is very fun and even more. Something I very much like with many of Michael's non-Specials is how they work as very fun moves on their own and that they get more fun and better by adding on these smooth bonuses to what they do or small, yet neat and logical additions, rather than hot glue gunning something you need to it or bringing in surprise changes to everything in a Down Tilt or what have you. When the Smashes had a very cool and various elemental system, the moveset has some very fun and to the point variety.

You combine this with some very fun writing, although I do wish it had been worked a bit more into the moveset after the Specials, and you have no reason to exclude this glorious angel from your vote lists or at minimum your reading lists. Praise the Almighty!

Michael vs. Matador

The primary focus this match will revolve around is Michael's Tetrakarn vs. Matador's buffs. Matador has some pretty potent combos against the heavyweight Michael and his speed can run circles around the slower archangel with his Red Capote and Hell Portals. Michael requires a good deal of setup as well, which can set Michael up for Matador's potent and precise attacks such as Forward Smash, Back Aerial or specific Forward Aerial hits. Michael should not fret, however, because if he sets up a Tetrakarn it takes the battle and flips it on its head. Matador's potent ability to boost his moves with Focus can all come crashing down if Michael can bait it into a Tetrakarn, as Matador is pretty light and Michael has a pretty solid gimping game to go against Matador's somewhat poor recovery.

Both being disjointed weapon fighters, they have solid and fairly equal range to each other, but Michael has a noticable advantage in his true projectiles, while Matador has to make much more due with melee, although at the same time this means that the Almighty YHVH will have to rely largely on Michael to feed him his power pellets as Matador won't do it much himself. Michael's Heavenly Blade can be important for the matchup, as it allows Michael to follow-up on Matador's mobility a bit more, but at the same time Matador actually has a fairly good ability to get around the Heavenly Blade if he gets a Red Capote up and can even abuse Michael against it slightly. A particular issue for Matador can be Michael's Forward Tilt, as it gives him a rather safe poking and approaching tool that can turn into a retreat if Matador defends even with Red Capote. Matador will want to consider trying to time a Down Smash for this, as the Counter will surely come out too quickly for Michael to get away and can be especially potent to reverse neutral situations.

Matador's Taunt is especially interesting in this matchup, because Matador does not have to just worry about the power of Michael's attacks, but Michael using these stronger attacks to make more powerful Tetrakarn setups than he normally can. At the same time, smaller and precise movement of the Tetrakarn becomes exceedingly difficult to do with weaker attacks when Rage is maxed with Taunt, making it surprisingly effective for forcing Michael to be a bit more aggressive than usual, but it can also backfire tremendously, especially when taking into account things like Michael's potent Forward Tilt sweetspot w/ maxed rage or especially moves like Michael's Down Aerial and Forward Aerial if Matador is forced off stage. At the same time, it forces Michael to keep in mind defensive Tetrakarn uses a lot more, because the shield and dodge debuffs are actually pretty big when Michael does not have the safest playstyle when opponents get all up in his grill and in particular some of Matador's standards like Jab (Reflecting projectiles into a Portal is brutal to Michael), Forward Tllt (The lunge really hurts Michael's ability to gain much needed space when his defensive options are limited and force him to keep Tetrakarn in mind more) and Down Tilt (Due to the variety of follow-ups difficult to plan for with Michael's limited Taunt options).

Ultimately though, the matchup is rather close because of how much Michael can reverse it with proper Tetrakarn usage, and when you consider stuff like Michael's Down Smash being a very solid tool for breaking a Matador approach and his variety of projectiles that can force Matador into uncomfortable situations, not to mention things like Bufudyne being particularly trubbling because Michael can set it up to pop out where Matador's Hell Portal will take him, potentially making Matador's combo setups unsafe.

What gives Matador the edge in this matchup, though, is simply that it is slightly easier for Matador to get in Michael's face and stay there than it is for Michael to easily repel Matador, and because Matador can more easily function without setup while still gaining a good deal of setup if they do.

Verdict: 55/45 Matador

...Wait, that seems pretty Neutral, doesn't it? Why you...YHVH isn't going to be very happy when he finds out!

Last edited:

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman

Reigaheres's offering was the third posted this contest, but was heavily passed over for some of its flaws, in particular the writing of the set that made it a little hard to read.

Once you've gotten past the rough leather exterior, the fluffy mechanics underneath paint an excellent picture of the madcap monster the set is based around. The set centers around summoning small dummies that double both as turrets and ammunition for attacks, manipulating their positions and trying to keep your fragile army from slacking on the job (read: being brutalized by your foes, not that there's a difference to their employer) or causing more harm to you than your foe.

Also at the core is two different versions of your turret/ammo dummies, letting you trade control for power and accuracy. Your moves often interact with your dummies' attacks, using them to power up your own or simply kicking them around to redirect them at your opponents; I feel there could have been a little more differentiation in how the moves interact with each kind of dummy projectile, but the set does well enough running off of the projectiles' own innate qualities for this.

While far from flawless- a few odd numbers here, and again the writing- I feel the set is better than its exterior paints it as, and it's worth setting aside an afternoon to chip away at when you have the chance.

Last edited:

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman

Smady has had a good contest this MYM, and it's easy to forget some of the sets that appeared early on in the wake of big names like Matador and even the above mentioned Michael.

Shadow Teddie is another set that appeals to me greatly, using television portals, a powerful arsenal of projectiles with different travel arcs and effects, spacing hits, movement options, terrain manipulation, freezing and burning, forming walls, re-angling attacks, status ailments (for lack of a better term), the list goes on, and everything flows together wonderfully thanks to its central usage of said portals.

Shadow Teddie's moves are all interesting from top to bottom, and can be used together in a wide number of ways, ensuring he always has a few tricks to choose from. Besides feeling well-polished (if still a little odd in tiny ways), this bad news bear just seems like he would be fun to play. If I had to pick a nit, I'd say there's almost too many options here, such as the melted ice from the Up Smash and to a lesser extent the Side Special missile, but both still have their uses to distinguish them.

In terms of character, the creepy shadow shows some of its counterpart's goofiness in what it can do, but given a darker edge and a deadly serious disposition, drawing from the few appearances it has in the series for inspiration and going from there to form the bulk of its moves. The thought of this creepy clown bear missing anyone's reading list is just unbearable.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
As soon as I started reading this set, I immediately knew it would score high with me. This set stood out in its stylized diction, written as a loyal mobster telling an outsider about the boss. Even the weaknesses of this character (Ground Speed, Size, Mediocre Killing Ability) are spun in such a way that they end up making the boss look more intimidating as a result. More importantly, the tone is is not solely in the opening paragraph, it persists throughout the entire moveset and only breaks in the list of miscellaneous details at the end.

Regarding the set itself, it is also quite interesting. The main mechanic to speak of is the ability to summon a murder of Murkrow in different positions to trap the opponent and assist in damage building. This mechanic is rather interesting, and works well with the mob tone of the set. In general, I greatly recommend the set for its great writing style.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Happy New Year's all! Time for some last-minute ads. Rather than simply giving an overview of three sets that I thought were good, here I'd like to focus on one specific aspect from each moveset and see what we can learn. They say that learning is best done by studying our mistakes, but it also doesn't hurt to see what movesets do right and to think about how we can implement these concepts in the future.

The Butcher

The first moveset in the contest and the start to FrozenRoy FrozenRoy 's five-set hitting streak, The Butcher is an excellent example of
cohesion. The mechanics all work with each other to create a unified kit, with gameplans and strategies that make use of two or more of The Butcher’s abilities in unison. Tethering an opponent to the ground, for example, allows for interesting gameplay opportunities and combo potential, and prevents the opponent from camping him out. But it also allows him to harvest Fresh Meat, and makes for a deadly trap in combination with the ticking time-bomb that is Furnace Blast. And this is without even getting into the full meat of the moveset.

The Butcher shows that well-thought-out, hand-crafted, fine-tuned mechanics can come together to form a cohesive playstyle even without hard-coded interactions. By putting a lot of thought into the potential implications of each mechanic in a moveset, the MYMer can put a lot of depth into a moveset while not having to pack it with a lot of complexity. Each of The Butcher’s mechanics is simple to explain and understand, but combined, they open up a lot of interesting possibilities, strategies, and choices by being
cohesive with one another. This is elegancy in design.

Elma

On the subject of elegancy in design, Elma’s strength is its strengthening of the desired playstyle through
incentives. Altais Altais is obviously newer than most of the other MYMers you’ll be seeing in ads, and yeah, those sets are probably better overall (for obvious reasons). However, that does not mean that we cannot learn from Elma’s strengths! The point of ads is to “advertise” sets that might otherwise go overlooked, no?

The set has a pretty firm grasp on playstyle and the cohesion of moves, the intricacies of some of the animations are well thought-out, and the author’s notes sprinkled throughout are a nice touch. What I’ll mainly be talking about here, however, is the Tension Points system. For those who haven’t read the set, by landing hits (and especially scoring combos), Elma can fill a meter which can be used to activate Overdrive (Down Special). While in Overdrive, Elma gets buffs to attack power, knockback, certain aspects of her specials, and a funky theme song that takes over the stage’s normal music. Additionally, scoring a true-combo on an opponent refills the timer for half a second per hit.

What makes this mechanic so special? Altais says in the moveset that for Elma, he was very much going for an aggressive, combo-rich playstyle. By tying Overdrive so closely into scoring hits and combos, then, the Elma player is
incentivized into playing more aggressive and using a lot of combos. Not only is this the only way to access Elma’s most powerful technique, but once you have Overdrive, combos are still essential since they prolong Overdrive for just a tad longer. Down Special also shares its input with Supercharge. If you use Dspec without a full gauge, Supercharge will be used instead, doubling the damage and knockback of your next smash or special. This also encourages all-out aggressive play once used, since if you space around with poking moves, your Supercharge will be gone! So you have to go all-in, using the threat of a Supercharged move in lieu of spacing moves.

Elma has some flaws, a good amount of which were ironed out in edits, but perhaps above all, it shows a level of mastery over the use of incentives in its centerpiece mechanics.

Matador

While Elma gets its player to act in a certain way through use of mechanics, Matador gets the opponent to act in a certain way through
alignment of motives. Throughout MYM history, movesets have had status conditions which affect the opponent. Some of these have been handled fairly well, such as the bleeding mechanic in The Butcher. Other times, however, status effects may focus around causing the opponent to act in a certain way, which may get out-of-character. For example, a move which causes the opponent to retch at the sight of gore and thus enter a stun-like state would be rather odd on a stone-hard villain, not to mention potential MYM sets (like a Mortal Kombat character, as an extreme example).

Matador’s side special move, Taunt, handles status conditions very elegantly. The effect itself is quite simple: it maxes out the opponent’s rage, fitting as they were just “taunted,” while simultaneously debuffing their shield and dodges as they let their guard down. It is fair to assume that most Smash characters would be annoyed at being taunted, so the implications of the status effects themselves makes sense. Smady Smady , however, takes this to the next level by also considering the player behind the character. Taunt, similar in frame data and hitbox to Disable, is hard to hit, so it will most often be seen as a hard read / punish. By using Taunt, the Matador player is in a way “taunting” the other player – as in, “hey, I’m so much better than you that I can even hit you with Taunt. You’re so predictable.”

The combination of the Matador player getting into their head as well as the status effects encouraging aggressive play will cause the opponent to want to rush head-on, not letting the Matador player get away with that disrespectful use of a hard-to-land move. From here, Matador can really become a matador, angering the bull that is the opponent and using his buffs to agility, dodges, and more from Red Capote to dodge their every move and punish with a long-ranged sword move, or using the forward movement on attacks like Ftilt as well as his portal to punish from a distance. He could also use his unique strafing mechanic, where he won’t turn around when simply walking backwards, to evade and punish, but this is made redundant with perfect-pivoting. Still, Matador’s use of status effects is a shining example of taking the players themselves into account, and
aligning the motives of the characters onscreen with those of the players holding the controllers.

With that said…

green capote.png

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
The contest this year started off on a really strong note. Personally, I am not a fan of gore; movies like Final Destination and Saw give me nightmares due to the over the top manners of killing in such gruesome detail. That being said, I had some sort of sadistic pleasure eating up the diction used for this set's writing style. The descriptions for the moves are quite visceral, using words like guttural, lard, drip, slaughter, eviscerating, and a whole lot more waxing descriptions. It was really quite chilling, but really well phrased. Given the character's sadistic moves, it sets the mood quite well for the bleeding and fresh meat properties.

Another set I really enjoyed reading. Chesnaught is a Pokemon I like a lot and I feel that the set was written admirably for it. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's imposing figure to make a set that deals with defense and offense both well. Particularly, I like the dual applications of Seed Bomb and Hammer Arm, alongside the trapping moves of Spiky Shield and Needle Arm. For a heavyweight character, I feel Chesnaught fits the bill quite nicely.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Metireon

by ForwardArrow ForwardArrow

The premiere set from ForwardArrow this contest and his second ever OC, after Vol Opt naturally, Metireon plays around with a lot of fun ideas and in many ways feels like a bit of a foray into FA trying a new style that not only fits the vein of something like Jecht, but also in FA making an ultra aggressive ham set which it feels like has not been done by him since the wondermazing Three.

Metireon may not reach those lofty heights, but it certainly fits the bill as an extremely good set. Metireon has a heavy focus on the self-damage genre and ability for his potent abilities to backfire on him, the kind of thing that always gives me some interest and is utilized well with Metireon's unique and rather weird demonic slab weapon. I don't think we have really had a set that uses this monolithic, slab-y weapon since basically...what, Koala Kong? And even then Kong was more about snagging a weapon to use and not a weapon user with a bizarre weapon that makes some interesting takes on weapon style moves. The way Metireon can use it to defend himself is very interesting as well, especially when considering how Metireon can use his self damaging moves to turn his defensive options into movement options.

The Neutral Special is obviously the core of this, a delayed explosion that you can block with your monolith to send you flying across the stage or can suck up the looming explosion's power to power up some of your attacks. The ability to choose between one big delayed attack or to chunk it up into smaller powered up attacks for yourself is really cool and has a lot of design room for future sets. Setting up the momentum for stuff like Up Special, Forward Smash, Up Smash, pretty cool Down Tilt and more is a big treat and adds a lot of depth to how Metireon gets in against the foe and plays around, not to mention giving him and the foe some really cool play against each other since he can threaten to boost himself towards enemies while trying to get them to enter his highway to the danger zone.

I also want to just give a note to specifically call out the Up Special here, that has to be one of the coolest uses of the Yoshi Up Special type of move we've ever had, it has really cool uses into Metireon's aggressive melee game, it has some of the best versatility in how it works with Metireon's momentum and it just plain is awesome to imagine animation-wise. Metireon's character feels like it comes through pretty well in the playstyle, with Metireon himself having rock hard conviction behind his slab attacks and desperation at higher percentages in the throws, while Yldretch pops in to show people what true power is and yet can all backfire on the man like any good demonic deal can, and is clearly limited by the slab. Perhaps if he returns it, the Federation will suffer his curse?

So yeah, read Metireon. Its really good, a slab solid SV on my list, and has enough frontrunner potential to basically be required. Or else he might Retire-on you!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
ANTI MAGE

Anti Mage is a set that I've regularly been questioned about for it being "Anti Warlord" because it's more simplistic than the usual fare I rank high, but the playstyle of this set is very in your face no nonsense stuff. I've always traditionally been a sucker for movesets that focus on shield breaking, and with the advent of SSB4 there's a lot more reason to make them than the previous days where shield breaking may as well have been a unique mechanic exclusive to shield breaking sets. Shields are used as the interpretation of Mana in this moveset as a universal mechanic that all characters have while still being something very offensive the hyper carry character can focus on.

Anti Mage has an "ammo bank" in the form of his own shield in that several of his moves cost shield and/or are better at low shield health, but if he loses his shield he's obviously putting himself at a tremendous risk. Do or die gameplay is one of the more interesting ways to make heavy melee pressure characters fun, seen in other sets such as Metireon and Artorias, and Anti Mage has to abuse his ability to Blink around to keep himself in good health and evade attacks. With how much Blink floes into his gameplan, he probably won't be using his dodges to move around nearly as much as a normal character, which would encourage more use of his shield, along with his grab-game which more directly encourages use of his own shield so it's not just ignored and is much more interesting in the given context of the set.

Aside from Shields, his Blink teleport to move around provides most of the set's depth. There are many very simplistic moves that are saved entirely by Blink, and with minimal text manage to prove interesting. A counter or sex kick would be a lot more difficult to find relevance in his gameplan otherwise, but immediately become much more interesting in the context of Blink without Froy having to do much of anything. Use of Blink is covered in just about every move and does a much needed exploration of being able to teleport during moves, treating it with the respect such a powerful technique deserved to have. At the same time, this feels less obnoxiously strong than in some other sets because of how much of Anti Mage's shield it drains, meaning it can't be quite as heavily abused unless he wants to have a shield the power of Crash Bandicoot's. That's not to say he can't bring his shield down that low by any stretch, but would ideally have to reserve it for combo ending or defensive purposes unless he's desperate - a high percentage Anti Mage would be a lot of fun to watch.

ARTORIAS

When reading Artorias, I was very ready to throw it into the pit of 4 stars for that bizarre mechanic of nerfing his own dodges into oblivion as one of the core mechanics of the set. Artorias has to fight a very uphill battle throughout the set to actually showcase his competence at dealing with that and proving it's worth it, but it manages, and it's a very interesting ride in spite of the moveset's simpler nature. Artorias wants to force a feast or famine game of constant attacking between himself and the foe, because when Artorias hits like an absolute truck he's definitely going to come out on top in trades, much less with all the superarmor he has on offer.

At times, Artorias can feel like a very opressive and powerful character, but with his mechanic and piles of lag he regularly finds himself in it's pretty necessary. The extra superarmor provided by his smashes can only be used to their fullest when he has superarmor from his corruption mechanic, and his jab and bair are pokes that provide some of his best "defense" in place of basic dodging at that stage. Playing Artorias would certainly have a lot of whiplash from mindlessly roll spamming as most characters, but when he's doing the same thing to the opponent's character who is actually supposed to use them without these tools, it's clear who's going to come out on top when he tries to make them duel him. The extreme nature of the risk/reward aspect of Artorias' game captures what it feels like to be a heavyweight while actually balancing it properly. Artorias going deeper and deeper into his corruption and becoming more extreme in his methods is a good representation of the character's fall into madness, and represents the nature of a Dark Souls boss quite well.

This moveset shares a perfect shielding mechanic with Anti Mage that powers up his grab-game as he pivots the opponent's attack, being the one way both characters can make practical use of their shields, and it's great here as it is there in encouraging use of an otherwise crippled, disadvantaged move and giving him a much needed defensive tool. The sets share a similar brand of appeal and deserve to be read. Artorias is still Froy's personal favorite of the sets he made this contest, and it's not difficult to understand why.

KRISTOPH

While arguably not as good as Smash Daddy's MYM 17 showing, Kristoph started off another excellent contest from him, and the set absolutely deserves all of the positive press it's been getting. Kristoph's character is of course at the forefront, and was the set that really started the chain of ironic characters posted this contest - it turns out that obviously flawed characters are very interesting ones to explore, and of course provide some much needed humor to the dark age of MYM's word count.

Kristoph's incredibly edgy character is mocked heavily throughout this set, and is largely represented through giving him a generic "darkness" element. In Smash itself, the darkness element is pretty abstract as it shows up on all of Ganon's attacks and many of Mewtwo's attacks, who is supposedly weak to "darkness", largely being a showcase of his status as another overly serious villain alongside Ganondorf. Kristoph is the one character in all of Ace Attorney who has psyche locks that are never broken, briefly being shown as black due to just how evil they apparently are. The amount of potential Smady gets out of this aesthetic is really impressive, as he locks his own moves with the power of his hate in order to power them up in unique ways. While Kristoph does a lot of silly things in the moveset, nearly all of it is still taken directly from the game, and it's pretty hilarious in the context of the rest of the edgy set just how much mileage Smash Daddy can get out of something like a bottle of "grape juice". The game is insistent on how evil and "villainous" Kristoph is, and Smady interprets this by making him an incredibly slow and heavyweight character to try to emphasize and overdramatize that, yes, Kristoph is a real villain.

While Kristoph's hilarious character is used up for all it can be, what allowed this set to be as good as it was is a mechanic that enabled Kristoph to pick any other character on the select screen to be his "client" as a computer ally. This is a very ambitious mechanic to try, and Kristoph manages to get a lot of mileage out of it and manages to make it feel balanced despite essentially turning the match into a 2v1. When Kristoph has a sort of "minion" to interact off of, like any good real villain, there's a lot more hilarity to be had in the characterization. The minion being present from the start of the match simplifies a lot of the more complex interactions you would expect, with most of Kristoph's set-up being related to psyche locks (Which are a lot more interesting in combination with any other character in the game) and gaining control over them. There's a claim that my hatred of Apollo Justice makes me see this set as better than it is as I love the characterization that much, but this set's concepts alone are still higher than most anything else Smady has done and is surely among his best.

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
The editing period for MYM18 is over, and you can now send in your votes if you've advertised. We do recommend you read as many sets as possible before voting however, so get working on that! The voting deadline is January 15th.

Now with that said, we're extending advertising through the voting period, so if you have not advertised yet, don't worry! You can still do so for the remaining 2 weeks of ads. Have a good reading and voting period all!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
ForwardArrow forgot to mention it, but this contest's vote gurus are FrozenRoy and Smash Daddy. Please send your votelists in to them when you are ready!

Beets

Smash Apprentice
hello. i don't really know anything about smashboards or this thread, but i made some dumb fake smash characters once upon a time. i hope you will check them out / critique them. or just check them out. here they are:

i made this. i didn't put enough thought into it to make a grab at the time but i've got one now. i sketched the majority of the moves in microsoft paint. see the attachment for the rest of the moveset.

SLIMEY.jpg

Grab
the slime will flop its face in front of him hoping to catch an opponent.

all throws are the same. they don't even change direction.
no i'm not lazy i just don't care enough. but if YOU do then feel free to add some creative ideas of your own! :036:

i drew this in about an hour. if anyone would like to take any or all of it and repurpose it for their own moveset, please feel free. i just had this idea and thought i was super unique and fitting. for this character.

of course you can replace every instance of "simon" with "dhalsim" and every instance of "whip" with "arm".

thanks.

Attachments

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
hello. i don't really know anything about smashboards or this thread, but i made some dumb fake smash characters once upon a time. i hope you will check them out / critique them. or just check them out. here they are:

i made this. i didn't put enough thought into it to make a grab at the time but i've got one now. i sketched the majority of the moves in microsoft paint. see the attachment for the rest of the moveset.

View attachment 124745

Grab
the slime will flop its face in front of him hoping to catch an opponent.

all throws are the same. they don't even change direction.
no i'm not lazy i just don't care enough. but if YOU do then feel free to add some creative ideas of your own! :036:

i drew this in about an hour. if anyone would like to take any or all of it and repurpose it for their own moveset, please feel free. i just had this idea and thought i was super unique and fitting. for this character.

of course you can replace every instance of "simon" with "dhalsim" and every instance of "whip" with "arm".

thanks.
Moveset submissions for MYM18 (this thread / contest) are actually over, however the next contest should start within a month or so if you'd like to post your movesets then – so they can be an official part of the contest and all.

JOE!

Smash Hero

COLONEL.EXE
An early US set this contest and one that stuck out to me due to his fantastic "Cape" special. In summary, the cape grants him the ability to "magic-series" his whole moveset in certain ways. For example, he can cancel the end lag of most moves into the cape, and provided the cape strikes he can cancel the start-up of a subsequent move. Not to mention his literal building blocks that he can change the terrain of the stage with, as well as attack to take advantage or his Cap attacks! A fun set that is more than the sum of its simplistic parts, Colonel.Exe was a very pleasant surprise for somebody who is not familiar with Megaman that much. While reading all I could really think about was how much fun the Cape would be in practice, which then branched out to the rest of the set very nicely when you consider blocks and the like, and creates a very deep character than what you'd think at the surface.

KNIGHTLY WITCH GARNET
Another US set, I actually see a bit of a theme this contest with his sets that command the battlefield with movement interactions! One of my Challenge sets, she stood out to me due to the focus on items that grant new moves, something that I think may be criminally unexplored at this point, and taking it to 11 out of the gate. Usershadow created 4 functional, balanced items for her to use both as herself, an armored knight and a ghostly hand which is impressive on its own. However other characters can use them too! This creates yet another layer as Garnet can supply a team mate, or an enemy could steal a weapon and use it against her. Alongside her elegant fighting style and zoning gameplay that showcases her character perfectly, a bit of magic here and there really seals the deal on this wonderful set.

YOMI MEKURA
Munomario's challenge entry was probably one of the most dynamic, both changing somewhat drastically per week and also having the biggest stance changes of the final 5! Yomi's a blind ninja who wields the versatile Rope Kunai in either an attached or seperated style that essentially transforms her between two characters on the go. Clever use of angled inputs and option selects throughout the set (with the stance change being one all its own!) keep the foe guessing as to what her next move may be. The ability to create smoke clouds grants them her own blindness, which i feel is a nice touch when specifically combined with the many variables a foe would have to account for coming from the character. Overall there is certainly a "cool" factor imagining her in action between the kunai-magnet tricks, the rope snagging people and her general movement attacks that makes for a stand out set by him.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
VOTING AND ADS EXTENDED EXACTLY ONE WEEK TO THE END OF JANUARY 21ST

No matter the state of thins, this is the last extension and chance, folks. We choose to go to the moon and we can choose to go to the Top 50, too! So stop being so busy and/or lazy and get those votes out there!

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Extremely late ads appeared!

Kristoph Gavin

This set captures the essence of Phoenix Wright as a series pretty much perfectly. Aside from team tactics with the "defendant" (to use the term a bit loosely, given how much Kristoph abuses them), Kristoph has great fun being wacky, absurd, and hilariously tacky in much the same vein as Phoenix Wright in general. The Black Psyche Locks are hit-or-miss for me, though Kristoph has a good case for an input banning mechanic when it allows him to more easily work alongside his defendant by influencing their tactics.

Marina Cannonvale

Marina does basically what I'd been trying to do with Diancie's Dancing Blade projectile special, though taken to a far greater extreme and arguably with far more success than Diancie ever did. The individual effects are simple enough to make it easy to comprehend how they chain together, yet the results can be crazy, creating bullet hell-like patterns or even looping traps. There are of course some balance concerns to be had on that front, but it's nothing too terrible. A couple of the aerials are iffy, and indeed seem to be the cause of some of the more potentially problematic balance. This Kat set felt a bit ignored, but I enjoyed it and feel it is quite worth a read!

Matador

A second set from Smash Daddy with a pretty fun base with the Red Capote and Focus buffs, a variety of fun melee (I especially enjoyed the Forward Smash here), multiple inventive uses of the portal (although it was sometimes a bit much) and some sweet standards and follow-up possibilities out of stuff like Focus Back Throw. This set is pretty well known, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve an ad!

Along with a comment block, because why not.

Milla
Even after edits, Milla has some very wonky numbers with regards to frame data in particular. 1 second to summon a phantom block is still pretty bad, though at least she can move during it. You are not going to get a full second of time to yourself simply by tripping a foe with DTilt. I'd say you get something closer to two thirds of a second, provided you make sure to get out of the way of getup attack. Down Special is even more difficult to set up than a Phantom Block is, since she can't move while digging for a shield power-up.

And while I recognize that it's not something she did in her own game, there would definitely be some utility to be had from allowing Milla to simply place Phantom Blocks on the ground to serve as solid terrain. You could have the Phantom Block take knockback when attacked, and deal damage on contact as a projectile while taking knockback in a manner similar to Pac-Man's hydrant. This provides a unique dynamic to the match since both Milla and the foe are able to use the Phantom Block against each other. You could also give Milla the ability to pick up the Phantom Block again after placing it by using Neutral Special next to it, allowing her to obtain the Phantom Block for throwing or Super Shield Burst purposes much faster than if she had to make a new one.

Metireon
I love the do-or-die dynamic that's present throughout Metireon's kit. It's done very well and never really feels forced. One thing that feels a bit off though is the way he fully summons demons through the Monolith instead of just portaling various demon limbs through it, though it does actually end up adding some extra depth to the set.

On a note that's more relevant to the do-or-die fighting style, it's a bit difficult to fully understand how the Monolith's defensive and momentum-boosting capabilities work for him when his idle stance isn't really fully described in the set. It says he holds it by his side, which I guess translates to basically trailing behind him…? That seems weird in the context of the walk/run though, during which the Monolith's position is apparently too inconsistent to serve as an effective defence.

Metireon's UAir is a very fun move, though I'm worried that perhaps it may outclass his FAir in terms of poking and combo-starting potential. On the other hand, FAir has faster startup and gets greater horizontal reach more quickly, and Metireon definitely does have the ground speed necessary to follow up on it.

Speaking of follow-ups, several of Metireon's moves have animations that feel like they would be pretty lengthy and complex by their description, but are apparently quite fast, even fast enough to combo off of at times. His Forward Tilt is a great example of such.

If there’s one really bad thing I can say about it it’s that the interactions off of each tool aren’t necessarily cohesive. The Piece of Yldretch is great. It does one thing to foes that interacts with a lot of Metireon’s moves. Some of the darkness absorption effects I’m not as big on, though. Like, almost all of them are really fun, cool effects. But the thing about them is some of them don’t really follow a theme at all. The Game & Watch bucket cancel thing with BAir is cool and all, but it’s also relatively subtle and totally different from most other darkness boost effects in the set.

Tangrowth
The beginning of the set makes a pretty good first impression, since its kit revolves around a simple spacing dynamic. Forward Smash seems like a recipe for frustration in casual play, being very much like a more damaging version of Corrin's FSmash with potentially longer reach (though at least it isn't truly disjointed).Tangrowth's mechanic seems rather at risk of being snowball-y, though it may also give it a weakness in the form of small blind spots at point-blank range.

Tangrowth's Ancient Power USmash feels like a lot more could have been done with it towards the set's playstyle. Maybe not having Tangrowth throw the rock at all might have been better, with it simply being a hitbox as it spawns overhead and then being a solid piece of terrain afterward? Following on this idea, a second input could have Tangrowth slam the rock straight down to crush foes, or perhaps it could be grabbed and swung with Up Tilt (and other command grabs) to attack enemies. With a floating Ancient Power, Tangrowth could perhaps put vine bushes on it and use it to connect vines between different platforms.

Up Aerial… I'll be blunt, it's bad. It could deal damage and pull the opponent downwards, and transition into grab if Tangrowth lands while pulling the foe, and I'd be fine with it. As-is, though, with it just holding the foe in an aerial grab state and being able to throw them with no frame advantage or damage dealt, I absolutely hate it.

…How does Tangrowth enter or exit crouch while holding a foe during grab? Or rather, how does it Down Throw while in crouch, and how does it move held foes upward without exiting crouch? Or, how does it exit crouch in order to throw a foe if holding up just moves the held foe upward?

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion

"Tell me what's on your mind, or I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"
“How touching. Maybe they’ll make a TV movie about you.”
“Ready to make the world a better place?”
“I can make you good at being bad.”
“Anything goes outside the ring!”
“I… have arrived!”
“You destroyed my soul, now I shall harvest yours!”
“I'm not afraid of anything. Except rain, and maybe trees and definitely blind-folded kids.”
“All life is equal. I merely assign it a quantifiable value—zero.”
“You can’t touch me, I’ve been doing this for years!”
“It’s disguise time!”
“If you smell me, it’s too late.”
“Let’s tear this mockery we call existence to the ground, set it on fire, and relieve ourselves upon its remains.”
“Like shooting cyber-ducks in a barrel!”
“Let the Blood Game begin.”
“No mercy for dirty!”

Last edited:
Top Bottom