• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 17: Next contest begins March the 24th; get your Iron MYM'er 1st day sets ready!

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
( I cannot find the new quote option so enjoy whatever this is

"The only matchups against characters on the thread that I'd be able to make are the ones between my own characters."-Tocaraca2

That really doen't have to be true, characters that werent intended to fight with alissa and made by ofther people is what makes matchups fun, it's seeing how your creation reacts to another's creation. The problem is matups involving sets you didn't make are a bit hard to pull off as some characters don't really mesh well in combat or have mechanics that are impossible to coexist at one time, choosing the characters that best fit with your matchups wisely is your best bet.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
( I cannot find the new quote option so enjoy whatever this is

"The only matchups against characters on the thread that I'd be able to make are the ones between my own characters."-Tocaraca2

That really doen't have to be true, characters that werent intended to fight with alissa and made by ofther people is what makes matchups fun, it's seeing how your creation reacts to another's creation. The problem is matups involving sets you didn't make are a bit hard to pull off as some characters don't really mesh well in combat or have mechanics that are impossible to coexist at one time, choosing the characters that best fit with your matchups wisely is your best bet.
What I meant was I'd find it more difficult.

(and the fact that I don't read many of the other sets)

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
anyways I know all of us have been longing for ssb4 stat teirs and it just so happens I found one sorta

It lacks size, jump and traction stats but it does have weight, ground speed, air speed and fall speed

I got them from smashapedia so I somewhat doubt thier info but it's something at least

Edit: I was able to get jump and traction among other stats from a more reliable smash wiki, all that remains is size

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Weight

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Walking

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Traction

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Jumping

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Air_speed

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Falling_speed

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
anyways I know all of us have been longing for ssb4 stat teirs and it just so happens I found one sorta

It lacks size, jump and traction stats but it does have weight, ground speed, air speed and fall speed

I got them from smashapedia so I somewhat doubt thier info but it's something at least

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Dash

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Air_speed

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Falling_speed
SmashWiki, the NIWA (Nintendo Indepemdent Wiki Alliance) Smash Bros. branch, already has data and rankings for everything except jump height, which only has rankings. :p (It's more reliable as well, as it's not a wikia, and it's part of an organization.) It's a one-to-ten ranking scale that no one's really bothered to do yet, and we are thus lacking.

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
I'll do it, I have really nothing better to do and no current inspiration to really make a set so I whould be happy to

I just need a bit tutorial on how to use tables

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace

Edit: I was able to get jump and traction among other stats from a more reliable smash wiki, all that remains is size

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Traction

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Jumping

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Air_speed

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Falling_speed
This is really helpful, thanks. But can you add Walk Speed too?

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
<quote>This is really helpful, thanks. But can you add Walk Speed too?</quote>

Oh yes, I didn't add walking speed beacuse frankly I thought people whouldn't care about it but nvm.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
<quote>This is really helpful, thanks. But can you add Walk Speed too?</quote>

Oh yes, I didn't add walking speed beacuse frankly I thought people whouldn't care about it but nvm.
Oh and also, what do you mean by Traction? Air Mobility, or Ground Mobility?

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
How quickly a character can stop while moving on the ground. Lucario has the highest traction, and Luigi has the lowest. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Traction
Thanks.
But what about how quickly a character can stop whilst moving in the air? Is it called Aerial Mobility, like I put in my sets?
If so, than Plazzap I would appreciate if you could add Aerial Mobility as well, it would be useful too.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You can just put "they control well in the air" or something. If you want a couple points of comparison, Wario's on the high end of the spectrum, while Ryu is at the low end.

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Air mobility is a tricky stat to capture hence the fact it's not included much in sets, I suggest you imagine how the character youre making whould stop in the air and make up a stat. Not everything in MYM has to be a reference to something, yes it does help people visualize but sometimes its cool for a character to have something uncomparable to another thing.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Air mobility is a tricky stat to capture hence the fact it's not included much in sets, I suggest you imagine how the character youre making whould stop in the air and make up a stat. Not everything in MYM has to be a reference to something, yes it does help people visualize but sometimes its cool for a character to have something uncomparable to another thing.
So does the stat 'Air Mobility' actually exist and if so what is the definition?
If it just means Air Speed, I'm making the new stat called Air Traction.

I think Little Mac has the worst Air Traction.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
So does the stat 'Air Mobility' actually exist and if so what is the definition?
If it just means Air Speed, I'm making the new stat called Air Traction.

I think Little Mac has the worst Air Traction.
Air mobility is simply how mobile a character is in the air. Air speed is a factor, but acceleration, deceleration, etc are also inkluded in that term. It's hard to put into a number.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Air mobility is simply how mobile a character is in the air. Air speed is a factor, but acceleration, deceleration, etc are also inkluded in that term. It's hard to put into a number.
So Air Mobility is a general term.

Guys, I have invented a new statistic for movesets: Air Traction. You are now required to use it in all of your sets whether you like it or not. :)

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
So Air Mobility is a general term.

Guys, I have invented a new statistic for movesets: Air Traction. You are now required to use it in all of your sets whether you like it or not. :)
This came off as bossy weather you intended to make it that way or not, first off you never invented air traction as it's always been there, I will say though you are probably the first to take mention of it. Also nobody should be required to do anything in thier sets besides having all required moves.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
This came off as bossy weather you intended to make it that way or not, first off you never invented air traction as it's always been there, I will say though you are probably the first to take mention of it. Also nobody should be required to do anything in thier sets besides having all required moves.
He's actually not the first to make mention of air traction though.

Silly thing about the way Smash Bros. does air mobility is that there are even several aspects that go into "air traction", just as there are multiple that go into "air speed".

• Maximum air speed is a stat, but that's a given.
• Maximum initial air speed is a separate stat. Obviously, this is the maximum lateral air speed the character is able to achieve the instant they leave the ground when jumping. It doesn't guarantee they'll have any way to achieve that maximum initial air speed, it merely serves as a cap.
• Ground-to-air momentum multiplier is another stat. This determines how much of your ground speed converts into air speed when you make a walking or running jump, and as stated, it's done as a multiplier. A multiplier of 1x will transfer almost all of your ground speed to air speed. The reason you don't actually get a full 1-to-1 transfer with a 1x multiplier is because you lose a slight amount of momentum during the character's JumpSquat animation (the crouch to the ground a character does when preparing to jump). The longer the character's JumpSquat animation, the more momentum will be lost. A high ground-to-air momentum multiplier won't let a character bypass their Maximum Initial Air Speed stat.
• Aerial acceleration is a stat. This partially determines how quickly a character can acquire lateral speed in the air through normal aerial control.
• Aerial deceleration is a stat. This partially determines how quickly a character is able to lose lateral speed in the air through normal aerial control.
• Air friction is a stat. This determines how quickly a character naturally loses lateral air speed regardless of other factors. If you make this higher than a character's aerial acceleration, they won't be able to accelerate laterally in the air at all and will in fact decelerate even when holding a direction. Presumably, it stacks with aerial deceleration when determining the rate at which a character can slow down through normal aerial control.

Now, I think it's quite clear that nobody cares to go into that much detail when designing MYM sets, but I figured I'd point out how the actual games (or Brawl at least) determine these things.

Edit: I think there's another attribute I forgot that specifies the amount of initial air speed a character can obtain from a standing jump.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
He's actually not the first to make mention of air traction though.

Silly thing about the way Smash Bros. does air mobility is that there are even several aspects that go into "air traction", just as there are multiple that go into "air speed".

• Maximum air speed is a stat, but that's a given.
• Maximum initial air speed is a separate stat. Obviously, this is the maximum lateral air speed the character is able to achieve the instant they leave the ground when jumping. It doesn't guarantee they'll have any way to achieve that maximum initial air speed, it merely serves as a cap.
• Ground-to-air momentum multiplier is another stat. This determines how much of your ground speed converts into air speed when you make a walking or running jump, and as stated, it's done as a multiplier. A multiplier of 1x will transfer almost all of your ground speed to air speed. The reason you don't actually get a full 1-to-1 transfer with a 1x multiplier is because you lose a slight amount of momentum during the character's JumpSquat animation (the crouch to the ground a character does when preparing to jump). The longer the character's JumpSquat animation, the more momentum will be lost. A high ground-to-air momentum multiplier won't let a character bypass their Maximum Initial Air Speed stat.
• Aerial acceleration is a stat. This partially determines how quickly a character can acquire lateral speed in the air through normal aerial control.
• Aerial deceleration is a stat. This partially determines how quickly a character is able to lose lateral speed in the air through normal aerial control.
• Air friction is a stat. This determines how quickly a character naturally loses lateral air speed regardless of other factors. If you make this higher than a character's aerial acceleration, they won't be able to accelerate laterally in the air at all and will in fact decelerate even when holding a direction. Presumably, it stacks with aerial deceleration when determining the rate at which a character can slow down through normal aerial control.

Now, I think it's quite clear that nobody cares to go into that much detail when designing MYM sets, but I figured I'd point out how the actual games (or Brawl at least) determine these things.

Edit: I think there's another attribute I forgot that specifies the amount of initial air speed a character can obtain from a standing jump.
I... actually didn't know this.
Aerial deceleration is probably the stat that I am looking for that I would refer to as Air Traction. Little Mac takes ages to change his horizontal momentum while in the air, however Wario can almost immediately move from right to left and vice versa. In my Alica Vassin set, I put her Aerial Mobility (which I have now determined is aerial deceleration, or Air Traction for simpleness) as 5/10, meaning it is average. Not nearly as good as Wario's but not nearly as bad as Little Mac's.

I was joking...

Also Plazzap, are you nearly finished with your set reviews yet? I'm looking forward to seeing your feedback on Alica Vassin's tweaks. :)

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I... actually didn't know this.
Aerial deceleration is probably the stat that I am looking for that I would refer to as Air Traction. Little Mac takes ages to change his horizontal momentum while in the air, however Wario can almost immediately move from right to left and vice versa. In my Alica Vassin set, I put her Aerial Mobility (which I have now determined is aerial deceleration, or Air Traction for simpleness) as 5/10, meaning it is average. Not nearly as good as Wario's but not nearly as bad as Little Mac's.

I was joking...

Also Plazzap, are you nearly finished with your set reviews yet? I'm looking forward to seeing your feedback on Alica Vassin's tweaks. :)
I just want to say that there's one thing I could be wrong about, which is Air Friction. I said it gradually causes you to lose momentum regardless of other factors, but it could be that it only takes effect when no lateral movement is input. Either way, the effect is mostly the same: you gradually lose speed in the air if you don't press anything. It's how it interacts with other stats that's different.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
I just want to say that there's one thing I could be wrong about, which is Air Friction. I said it gradually causes you to lose momentum regardless of other factors, but it could be that it only takes effect when no lateral movement is input. Either way, the effect is mostly the same: you gradually lose speed in the air if you don't press anything. It's how it interacts with other stats that's different.
You are probably correct. I have never in all my Smash experiences lost speed while holding forwards moving in the air.
'you gradually lose speed in the air if you don't press anything'
That's pretty obvious LOL.

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
If you can't find a decent picture for an OC, are you allowed to not include one?
No not at all, an OC doesn't even need an image, take Bubble Witch Marin for example, a picturelss OC that ranked 3rd place in an mym!

Sometimes not having an image for an OC lets the reader use thier own imagination to fill in the blanks, making for a cool opportunity that hasn't been done much before

My point is images serve no purpose other than to look pretty and set up character personality, the only thing that truly matters is the moveset itself

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
You are probably correct. I have never in all my Smash experiences lost speed while holding forwards moving in the air.
'you gradually lose speed in the air if you don't press anything'
That's pretty obvious LOL.
Actually, it's not necessarily. And the point is that how fast you lose speed depends on the character, and that if you really wanted to you could design a character who doesn't lose lateral air speed when not pressing anything.

In any case, you wouldn't lose speed while holding forwards, because your aerial acceleration would counteract your character's air friction even if it did have a constant effect. And actually, you probably have lost speed while holding forwards in the air before, if you've played a character like Lucario, whose Up Special can go in any direction and retains some of its momentum when it ends. You'll notice he doesn't immediately go back to his regular air movement speed upon going into helpless fall. Instead, he visibly decelerates.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Author's Note: This is one of 2 sets from a failed project I had that I'm going to even bother to finish. I feel like this one honestly is a failure and I'm not remotely satisfied with it, but given I have gone something like 4 full months without posting a set and honestly feel unbelievably guilty about what my lack of activity has done to the contest, I have to give you all something. Don't expect anything that measures up to my standards here.

Also this is my Iron MYMer contribution for the HMA theme

Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser is a character from the popular MOBA League of Legends(its Froy's goddamn fault I started playing don't give me that look Kiwi), and one of the more well known ones from both his rather memorable kit and character design. He is the master of both the dead and of metal, being able to manipulate metal as well as enslave the souls of the dead to forcibly serve his cause. He's the only character in the game without any mobility beyond his walk or the ability to lock down an opponent, simply relying on his raw damage and durability to do so. His power comes from the fact that all of his abilities fuel a shield that makes him far more durable than one might expect in gameplay terms, and the ability to convert a dead enemy to his cause. Despite this, until a few recent changes he's been far from the most viable because of how easy he is to control, being so slow and lacking in versatility. But once he gets in close, your soul is his. He also seems to be a pretty huge metalhead, based off his taunts and the fact that he has a skin that makes his mace into a huge guitar.

Stats
Weight 16
Size 10
Traction 10
Fall Speed 9
Recovery 3
Movement Speed 1
Aerial Speed 1

I don't terribly know what you expected out of a giant metal armored man, his jumps are actually somewhat decent because he enhances them with energy, but his movement speed is absolutely awful, on par with Ganondorf's, and his aerial speed is a joke as well. The good news is, while he's as big as Bowser, he's actually much heavier, opponents will have a lot of difficulty actually knocking him around. Though that said he has nothing to prevent him from being KO'd easily once he's off the ledge as his air game isn't the greatest, nor is his actual recovery move.

Specials
Neutral Special Mace of Spades
Mordekaiser channels some of his power into his mace as it gains a slightly electrified looking appearance. This causes him to take 10%, but the next mace based attack Mordekaiser uses gains a significant buff, dealing 1.5x the damage and knockback. It also will extend the range of the attack, as even if he whiffs the attack will discharge through the air with a strange echo-y sort of effect, dealing 1.15x the damage and knockback of the original attack in a range extension that does sometimes vary from move to move. This echo's range is consistently doubled however, if something is hit with the main hitbox, giving Mordekaiser a ton of presense in FFAs and making him somewhat scary for trap/minion characters in close range.

Now if you connect with this attack, or any of Mordekaiser's other specials, it triggers his "Iron Man" passive, which causes his armor to gain a slight shield of wailing ghosts around it. The shield's stamina is equal to 60% of the damage he dealt, and while it is up, half of all damage that would be dealt to Mordekaiser is redirected to the shield. It also immensely decreases the knockback he takes, gives his attacks obscene amounts of super armor while also decreasing the hitstun he takes outside of that. One thing worth mentioning is if you have less than 10% worth of this shield, the knockback, hitstun resistance, and amount of super armor will decrease gradually depending on how little you have left. Its a pretty powerful buff, but the stamina will slowly decay at a rate of 2% per second even if Mordekaiser isn't hit, and it can have a maximum durability of 40%.

One nice thing about this buff is you get it right back if you hit a shield, not requiring you to reuse this move at all. And that's probably a good thing, as you take a significant chunk of damage to use it. On the other hand, if the opponent dodges it? You just did 10% to yourself for absolutely no gain, and Mordekaiser's attacks are actually kind of slow and predictable as a rule. The start up on this attack isn't particularly high, but you're not going to want to bless every move with this buff, because you're going to damage rack yourself to obscene percentages even if you do hit the opponent with a few of these moves and get a shield to defend yourself, because the shield will only last so long.

Down Special Children of the Grave
This move can be charged for up to 3 seconds and the charge can be stored. Upon release, the ground a short distance ahead of Mordekaiser will flash white and one of two things will happen. The first is, if the opponent was standing on that ground, a ghostly version of Mordekaiser's helm will appear over them and they'll take 2% per second for a time depending on the charge, starting at 3 seconds uncharged and reaching a whopping 22 seconds at full charge. That's 44% but its distributed over a long period of time... but its actually a little better than just that. You see, if the opponent dies during that time, they'll be resurrected as a minion under Mordekaiser's control, gaining a fairly smart AI(though it scales to be stupider based off the lowest level CPU in the match). The AI foe has 50 stamina, and while they're alive Mordekaiser gains half their weight, movement speed, and jump height added on to his own stats.

Obviously this makes Mordekaiser a pretty terrifying opponent should he get a kill off on an opponent afflicted with this, but keep in mind this move is honestly pretty laggy, though the duration is longer than average so its not insanely hard to land or anything, just don't force yourself to land this before every kill, think of it more as a nice bonus if you do.

Thankfully, this still has an effect if you don't hit the opponent, instead summoning a ghost where the attack hits. What kind of ghost is going to depend on the charge of this move, and there are a few types. Keep in mind that ghosts aren't like traditional minions, they don't have a bunch of attacks or something to give Mordekaiser much of a long range game, rather think of them as wandering buffs to yourself or nerfs to the opponent.

At no charge, it summons a small blue ghost, which has a slight windy effect around it. It slowly patrols the area it was created in, and if Mordekaiser walks through it, he'll gain a small movement speed buff for 2 seconds, and his next attack will come out a bit faster. The opposite will happen to the opponent, if they travel through a blue ghost for whatever reason, they'll move slower for 2 seconds and their next attack or dodge will have a bit more lag attached. Blue ghost movement buffs/debuffs can stack, and you can store up more speeded up attacks by passing through more than one or nerf the lag on more than one of the opponent's attacks if they pass through multiple ghosts. A blue ghost cannot give out more than one buff/debuff every 5 seconds though, and vanishes after giving 3. As a final note, projectiles passing through a blue ghost are slowed down by half, making them more predictable, though potentially easier to combo off(which might be handy with allied projectiles).

At 0.5 seconds of charge, it summons a small red ghost. This thing will generally try to move towards and stick around the foe, and upon either player getting hit the ghost will detonate if it is within an area equal to half a Bomb-omb blast of the opponent, dealing 10% and knockback that KOs at 210%, serving as something of a pseudo counter or a damage buff(the higher knockback of the two attacks will override the other, just in case the atttack you hit them with is stronger than this). This is fairly annoying for the opponent, but there is an alternate solution for the opponent, in that they can simply absorb the ghost into themselves by walking into it. Mordekaiser can do the same himself. The ghost will linger on the field for 5 seconds, but it will apply its buff/debuff for twice as long as its remaining lifespan if its absorbed.

This causes their attacks to have a stacking buff/debuff while the ghost is inside that player. Each attack Mordekaiser lands on an opponent while he has the red ghost inside him will increase the damage of his next attack by 1%, stacking indefinently and not applying if he hits something that isn't a player character. It also does not apply on your pummel. The knockback will also increase proportionately. The problem of course is, Mordekaiser's whole issue is landing attacks in the first place, but hey its some nice incentive if you think you actually can land them. And fortunately for you, you can stack these, but keep in mind the ghosts don't have terribly long duration anyway. On opponents, it causes them to take 1% more damage and proportionately increased knockback for every attack they use, and this can of course stack with multiple red ghosts, meaning if they want to play aggressive against Mordekaiser its going to be progressively worse for them when they get struck back.

A medium sized black ghost will be summoned after 1 second of charge. This guy will wander the stage aimlessly, tending to stay around Mordekaiser. Like with the red ghost, Mordekaiser or the foe can absorb it by walking into it or getting knocked into it. If Mordekaiser absorbs it, the ghost will take half the damage from his self damaging attacks on itself, meaning Mordekaiser only takes 5% per Neutral Special. This actually doesn't stack between multiple ghosts, and once 20% worth of self damage has been absorbed by the ghost, it will die out, but the next Special will give twice as much shield buff. If you do absorb multiple black ghosts, the other will take over after this one dies.

If the foe absorbs it, whenever Mordekaiser strikes them, some of their lifeforce will be siphoned out, healing Mordekaiser by 1/3rd the damage dealt. This debuff lasts for 8 seconds, and is a less direct but more potentially powerful way to nullify the self damage done to you by your Specials.

At 2 seconds of charge, Mordekaiser will summon a tall purple ghost wielding a huge scythe, which will patrol the whole stage and unlike the other ghosts, has stamina, 60 to be precise. He also can attack opponents, swinging his scythe at them but not actually dealing damage and knockback, as his target is their soul, not their body. His swings will instead cancel the opponent out of attacks or dodges and then disable whatever was being used, attacks being stopped for 5 seconds and the ability to dodge only being disabled for 2... though dodges are the main way to avoid Mordekaiser's attacks given he wrecks shields, so that's a remotely big deal. If they're not in the middle of an attack or dodge, it will instead disable the last action that player used or the same period. Shielding will block the scythe and actually cause the ghost to recoil for a moment, vulnerable to attack, but shielding is bad against Mordekaiser himself. The ghost's attacks are not terribly fast, but they're enough to be very meddlesome.

Mordekaiser can absorb this ghost into himself by walking through it, causing it to appear over him as an aura, at which point it will continue to swing its scythe but have the attacks made manifest, dealing between 10%-18% and knockback that KOs at 220%-125%. There are a couple different very generic scythe strikes he can do, at different speeds, and his AI basically uses them to provide more stuff to dodge for the opponent while they fight Mordekaiser, in a way letting him attack two times at once. That said its controlled by an AI and his attacks are very slow so its not as strong as if Mordekaiser could do some kind of "two attacks at once" deal, but it helps a lot. The ghost will leave after 6 seconds of being fused with Mordekaiser.

After 3 seconds, he will not create a single ghost, but rather 5 random ones out of the first 3 will erupt from that point in the stage, which will continue to glow in a ghastly fashion for 10 seconds. During this time, whenever Mordekaiser lands an attack that's not a pummel, another ghost will come out, and while you don't have much choice over which ghosts you get, they're all useful and will be distributed in a pretty even fashion across the stage, tending towards areas Mordekaiser or the opponent are in. Its great to be able to make a ghost army with this move, but like DK's Giant Punch, Mordekaiser can easily lose this charge by being hit... if his magic shield is down. If its up, no amount of firepower will remove Mordekaiser's charge, providing additional incentive to have one around.

Side Special Siphon of Destruction
Mordekaiser curls one of his hands into a fist and raises it up, as several maces 2/3rds of his height erupt out of the ground in front of him, covering an area 1.75 battlefield platforms in length. These maces are actually quite strong, dealing 19% and upwards knockback that KOs at 120%, while contributing to your shield like your Neutral Special. This attack has slightly telegraphed start up lag and some pretty brutal end lag if you whiff(the end lag is much smaller if you connect), and deals 12% to you to use. This probably sounds pretty underwhelming, but this attack stops projectiles, lingers long enough to make dodging it extremely difficult(albeit not impossible), and does double damage to shields. This is pretty relevant as Mordekaiser has a rough time against dodges and projectiles, and while this doesn't neutralize the damage of the latter it certainly prevents the hitstun, though you'll just get punished during the end lag if you didn't also hit the opponent.

This move also gets more powerful if it travels through some of Mordekaiser's ghosts, with a different effect depending on the ghost. Each blue ghost increases the range by .25 battlefield platforms as it causes another mace to fly up. Each red ghost increases the damage by 3% and makes it KO 20% earlier. Each black ghost restores back 2% of the self damage this move would do, and if for some ungodly reason you have such an insane set up on a character that has little in the way of making set up time that you have 7+ all floating in range of this move, it can reach the point you start healing by using this move. If you have a tall purple ghost out, it will try to hook opponents out of the air downwards towards this move, as the primary way to dodge this attack is to jump over it. Either way, this allows you to make some use of ghosts lingering about on the stage not doing much of anything, making this a much more powerful means to get shield and then approach(and sometimes, just land a kill).

This move ends at the end of the stage, as maces will not spontaneously erupt out of the air.

Up Special Creeping Death
Mordekaiser summons a cloud of metal debris around himself which spins around him for 2.5 seconds, dealing 8% per second in a small area around him and a flinch once per second. This is a pretty solid damage builder, and on top of that, it reduces all incoming damage and knockback to Mordekaiser to 0.85x as much as usual, which stacks with his shield which is built up by this move. This is pretty nice, and you can just activate this move again as soon as its down... but the thing is you take 8% each time you use it, which means if you try and keep it active for 25 seconds, you'll take 80%, which means if your shield is down for a second you're in for a world of hurt. Still, there are also times when this will help you be even more insanely durable and also provide a small amount of extra offensive pressure on your attacks.

In the air, this is a pretty lackluster recovery, as the debris will form under your feet so Mordekaiser can boost himself up off them, after which they'll surround him as normal. This will propel you a bit further than your first jump, but it does no damage and knockback as a recovery and is generally very easy to gimp. The main way opponents are going to KO Mordekaiser before obscene percents, aside from being really evasive of your specials, is just gimping him, which isn't that terribly hard to do, but if you stand your ground on stage you should hopefully not end up getting gimped that often.

Smashes
Forward Smash Soul Mace
Mordekaiser brings his mace back as all the souls he's absorbed from Down Special summons swirl around it, before swinging it forwards in a strike that deals 18%-25% and knockback that KOs at 105%-70%. Now you might expect a little more from an HMA like Mordekaiser, but as far as Smashes go, its actually not that slow either, having similar lag to Marth's Forward Smash. The range is not as good as that move, but its still pretty solid, and with the shield up you get some added super armor on the start of this move.

As you might have guessed from the name and animation, this move gets some additional improvements if you have absorbed souls from the Down Special. Its a perfectly functional move if you haven't since setting up even a single ghost isn't something you'll always get to do, but you get some nice rewards for doing so.

Red: The opponent will start bleeding after being hit, taking 1% per second for 7 seconds. This is a small benefit by itself, but every 2 hits you land on the opponent, the bleed damage will increase by 1% per second. In addition, 5% worth of damage dealt by bleed damage will count as a hit for both this and the on hit effects from the red soul and the mass soul spawns, though keep in mind that the red soul's effect will not increase bleed damage for this. If you have a mass soul spawn out though, there are situations where at low percents you can get the opponent's damage to skyrocket from bleed damage from this and powering up the red soul damage buff, netting a very fast and brutal kill. Its pretty situational, and sometimes this will mostly just amount to extra damage, but the presense of the bleed damage is something the opponent has to watch out for as every mistake of the opponent's will cost them that much more.

Black: With the black soul, this will buff up your shield like your specials, even if you don't use Neutral Special beforehand. This is obviously a very easy thing to abuse compared to the red boost, but the potential reward is much lower.

Purple: The ghost will swing its scythe out in front of you for this move, having longer range but much weaker damage and knockback, only deal 14%-19% and knockback that KOs at 180%-155%. That said, its a pretty sizeable range buff to this attack, and applies the effects of the red and black souls if you have them as well, if anything being a more ideal tool to land the red debuff as they'll be knocked less far away and you can continue to connect more hits on them to stack the bleed damage.

Down Smash Crush Into Submission
Mordekaiser raises his mace and slams into the ground with a powerful blow, dealing 22%-29% and upwards knockback that KOs at 90%-65%. This is a fairly strong move on its own, and has a small amount of super armor on the start lag, but the start lag is VERY long, so its still quite punishable as the super armor only covers a small portion of the start up. This move actually has a small perk if they hit you during the super armor, in that it will actually increase the damage and knockback of the move to 28%-38% and knockback that KOs at 65%-30%.

Obviously, this move provides a huge perk if you have your shield up, in that the shield covers almost the entire thing in super armor. This means punishing them with the powered up hitbox goes from "very hard" to "moderately difficult", though it still can be pulled off with good prediction. With Neutral Special active, this move hits obscenely hard and on punish it will probably just kill the opponent at all but the lowest percents, but keep in mind that opponents are probably going to keep in mind that you have a pseudo-counter this powerful in your set.

Up Smash Shrapnel Blast
Mordekaiser raises a hand above his head as a ball of metal forms in it, growing in size with charge. Upon release, he smashes it and sends shards of shrapnel flying upwards, dealing mass hits of 3% that get more powerful the closer they were to the ball of metal's starting point. If they were basically overlapping what is a Pokeball to Kirby sized hitbox, they take 45%-63% and upwards knockback that KOs at 130%-105%. That's some pretty ludicrous damage, but its VERY rare the opponent will let themselves get hit by that much of the move's hitbox, they'll more likely take something like 15%-21% and pretty underwhelming knockback that won't KO until irrelevant percents. The metal will fly up around a Ganondorf height into the air before falling down, continuing to be a rain of 3% and flinch dealing hitboxes. This kind of delayed hitbox is actually pretty powerful, as the end lag on this move is pretty small so you can use this as cover for another attack, but this move does have some pretty bad start lag. Only the first time the opponent is hit by this move will trigger any "on hit" benefits, all subsequent hits will not matter.

You can press A while you have debris orbiting you from Up Special to launch them up in a second wave half as powerful as the initial one, dealing half the damage and knockback of the initial wave but providing another wave of material for them to dodge on the way down, providing more cover for your other attacks as they have to avoid multiple waves of projectiles in succession. If you press B, the projectiles will instead be absorbed into the Up Special field around yourself before landing, buffing it to deal whopping 16% per second while up and also flinching twice per second while reducing damage and knockback to 0.65x for the duration, making it a very powerful defensive buff, but it will only last until the Up Special buff goes away, as its very short.

As a final aside, since this is technically a projectile, it will fall much slower after passing through a blue ghost, increasing the time this can linger even further. If you have a couple blue ghosts around and use both hits of the attack, there's just so much stuff floating around for so long you might actually be able to legitamately combo as Mordekaiser, which is a pretty terrifying prospect considering how much damage the opponent is going to take if they're on the recieving end of that.

Standards
Jab Decisive Slam
Mordekaiser swings his mace forwards, dealing 11% and horizontal knockback that KOs at 250%, and follows up with another, faster swing back that deals 8% and pops them up slightly into the air. The swing back makes this move somewhat difficult to dodge and is one of the rare Mordekaiser moves with a follow up, while the first hit is very strong by jab standards, but also a good deal slower than the comparable jab from Ganondorf.

If you buffed this move up with Neutral Special, the first hit will not receive the buff, only the second hit will, but its considerably stronger than normal Neutral Special buffs in terms of power, upgrading the damage and knockback to 18% and upwards knockback that KOs at 115%. This makes the whole "dodge punish" aspect of the move a fair bit better, and you can just stop after the first hit if you don't want to expend your Neutral Special just yet while still applying offensive pressure.

Forward Tilt Condemn
Mordekaiser points forwards as his arm discharges ghostly energy in front of him. This deals 8% and knockback that KOs at 350% in one of Mordekaiser's fastest moves, which isn't saying terribly much. Its an actual attack that's not super hard to follow up on or land and is rather useful for Mordekaiser's benefits from landing a single hit, so using it alongside the Jab for that certainly isn't a bad idea. If the foe is hit by Mordekaiser's finger specifically, it will extend the duration of any status effects on the opponent by 3 seconds, with this being a fairly small hitbox and Mordekaiser having trouble landing much anything with precision, but its potentially powerful when you do land it.

If Mordekaiser has any floating metal around him, it will fly forwards when you use this move, now positioning itself to be whirling around in front of Mordekaiser rather than over top of him. This means it no longer provides the defensive bonuses it did before, but extending the range of it allows Mordekaiser to play off its occasional flinching without being so close to his opponent, able to use the full range of his mace and for that matter, sometimes flinch foes a bit out of reach of his melee moves to get them in reach of them. It still expires at the usual point, but this allows you to respace your metal cloud a bit more aggressively in relation to yourself.

Up Tilt Overhead Swing
Mordekaiser swings his mace overhead in a manuever you probably could've predicted from the name of this move, looking somewhat similar to Ike's Up Smash but with a mace. Its as laggy as said smash and deals 17% and upwards knockback that KOs at 125%. Not a particularly amazing move by itself, but the amount of space it covers when enhanced with the Neutral Special makes it a pretty strong anti-air technique. Its pretty predictable of course, but what is Mordekaiser if not slow and clunky, and if you do land it especially powered up its going to seriously hurt.

Down Tilt Undermine
Mordekaiser swings his mace low to the ground, dealing 13% and bouncing the opponent off the floor for upwards knockback that KOs at 200%. This is a slow move by Down Tilt standards but at least not unreasonably so, but its actually fairly strong as a defensive tactic because for a move of its speed(slightly faster than most Smash attacks), it has a pretty large amount of super armor. The amount becomes downright unreasonable when you have the shield up, don't expect to get interrupted out of this often in those circumstances, the opponents who strongly outpredict you can still pull it off.

Adding to this move's value are 2 small but still noteable properties. One, there is a very tiny period of the attack, only 1 frame total, where it reflects projectiles with 1.65x their normal power. There's a lot of technical skill required to pull this off, but its very rewarding when it does work, and trying for it isn't too bad on this move because if you whiff you might still at least get the super armor. Two, there's a small portion of the hitbox, the back end of the ball of the mace, which deals 15% and un-techably prones the opponent instead, leaving you room to follow up on this attack, which moves besides the FTilt and Jab won't really allow you to do.

Dash Attack Iron Wall
Mordekaiser charges forwards a short distance, about 3/4ths of a battlefield platform, putting his shoulder forwards and dealing 15% and horizontal knockback that KOs at 130% on contact. This has some pretty long startup lag, longer than Dedede's Dash Attack, but the front of Mordekaiser's body has super armor during this attack. If he has any metal floating around him, he will have it all gravitate to his shoulder, increasing the power to dealing 22% and knockback that KOs at 85%, and if doubled up via Up Smash it gets even stronger to the point of dealing 29% and knockback that KOs at 55%. It also reduces all damage he takes from the front by half, with the Up Smash empowered version making him flat out INVINCIBLE from the front. That's pretty obscenely strong, but its super predictable to prepare and opponent's can always just dodge this laggy attack. But its very hard for opponents to punch through and hits like a truck when empowered, so that much keeps it from being useless.

Grab Game
Grab Death Grip
Mordekaiser reaches forward in a grab not much better than Ganondorf's, meaning his ability to actually land grabs is mediocre at best. Unlike Ganondorf, he does get some actual decent payoff if he can pull it off as his throws and pummel are pretty strong. As an aside, on humanoid opponents smaller than him, Mordekaiser will neck lift in a similar way to how Ganondorf's Side B works, otherwise the grab looks similar to most Brawl grabs. Also, the foe will continue to take passive damage from your metal cloud if its up, a rather nice side benefit.

Pummel Your Soul is Mine
Mordekaiser will drain the life energy out of the foe slowly with each pummel, dealing 4% in a slightly slow pummel. If a soul from your Down Special has fused into the opponent, Mordekaiser will pull it out, absorbing itself into himself for whatever buffs it may give him, with the most recent one being prioritized. By comparison, if you press B you'll initiate a special pummel, which truth be told is exactly the same as your regular pummel, but allowing you to put the most recent ghost you absorbed into the foe. Obviously if you've absorbed one of the purple ghosts, you can't put them inside the opponent, but any of those you have inside you will increase the damage of your pummel by another 1%, whether you be draining or infusing the opponent.

Forward Throw Reign of Terror
This move has 2 variations, depending on if you tilt it or smash it. If you tilt it, Mordekaiser will bash the opponent away with his mace for 12% and horizontal knockback that KOs at 150%. Its a decent KO throw, but if Mordekaiser hasn't KO'd by 150% he's probably playing wrong considering his knockback is usually quite high.

If you smash it, the real fun begins as Mordekaiser's shield is channeled around the mace, increasing its power based on how much shield you empowered the mace with. If you had a shield with 10% stamina, this will deal 17% and knockback that KOs at 100%, obscenelty strong for a throw, but sacrifices your shield and requires you have one in the first place. If you had a shield with max stamina, you'l get a throw that deals 26% and knockback that KOs at 75%. This is before you factor into that the Neutral Special can buff this move, so its ludicrously powerful... but you have to have the right setup, and you have to sacrifice it. Its a pretty nice reward for your grab range, nonetheless.

Back Throw Metal Swarm
Mordekaiser throws the opponent over his shoulder, dealing them 9% and weak knockback behind him. If he has his metal field around him, it will gravitate around the opponent as he tosses them. This means they'll be surrounded by the metal field for the rest of its duration as it homes onto the, though if the opponent tries to run out of it they can probably outrun the field as it tries to home in on them, though it makes them pretty predictable if they try to dash out of it. If the field is enhanced through Up Smash they'll be flinched often enough you're probably guarunteed some sort of follow up on this move, but to be fair having that up before grabbing them is pretty unlikely.

Up Throw Soul Rebellion
Mordekaiser's souls swarm around his hand if he's stored up any, with small amounts of energy swarming around his hand if he has none. He then jabs his hand into the foe as if trying to rip their heart out with his bare hands. This deals 9% and upwards knockback that KOs at 210%, but it has an interesting effect depending on the souls absorbed by Mordekaiser and the opponent. If they both have at least one red soul, this attack deals TRIPLE damage and has a huge knockback increase to KO at 85%. If they both have at least one black soul, Mordekaiser gains all of the damage as a shield, AND gets healed for the amount of damage dealt. Obviously this is only going to reward heavy set up which is kind of hard when Mordekaiser isn't exactly good at setting up on his own, though if the opponent is just being a coward you can set up around them and potentially get off things like this, especially since the pummel makes it easier to have specific combinations of souls on you and the opponent.

Down Throw Subjugate
Mordekaiser simply drops the opponent at his feet and stomps on them, dealing 12% and proning them. Unlike the Down Tilt, the opponent can easily tech this prone, so its not nearly as powerful, but its still handy to give yourself a bit of an advantage in close combat, such as allowing you to set up an Up Special and push it towards the opponent and then aggress on them while they're in that field.

Aerials
Neutral Aerial Tyrant's Mace
Mordekaiser swings his mace in an arc that covers a much larger portion of a circle than Ike's Nair, covering nearly 330 degree around himself. This deals 12% and radial knockback that KOs at 165%, and is extremely laggy, but does have some super armor with the shield up, and combined with the Neutral Special, it has some absolutely immense coverage. Still on account of all the lag, its mostly just meant as a defensive move when someone is trying to juggle you or abuse your somewhat weak air game. The lag doesn't make it exactly perfect for that, but it will have to suffice.

Forward Aerial Fist of Metal
Mordekaiser slams his unarmed hand forwards at a diagonally downwards angle, dealing 15% and diagonally downward knockback that KOs at 140%. This is a LOT scarier than it sounds, because in the air this is pretty much the best knockback angle imagineable as it sends foes in two directions that are both towards the blast zone and away from the edge. Even on stage, it can kill at disturbingly low percents if landed from the right position. Its a pretty laggy move though, like the rest of Mordekaiser's air game most of its power comes from the added super armor when you have shield up to smash through the opponent's aerials, or just serving as a scare tactic as if they sscrew up this can be a deathblow.

Back Aerial Powerful Blow
Mordekaiser swings his mace behind him in an arc that covers most of his back, like the Nair providing good coverage but being pretty slow, though that's more compared to the average for aerials as its not actually especially bad in this move's case. It deals 14% and diagonally upwards knockback that KOs at 150%, fairly powerful for an aerial, and with the Neutral Special this move covers a huge area, so it gives some presense to Mordekaiser in the air even without the shield, though not as much as he might hope for.

Up Aerial Brutalizer
Mordekaiser thrusts his mace directly above him into the air. This deals 14% and upwards knockback that KOs at 140%, and on account of the motion used it has more range than any other move in Mordekaiser's melee arsenal, further amplifiable by Neutral Special. Its also the slowest Up Aerial in the game so don't get too excited, but if nothing else, you can use your range advantage against opponents above you to give them a hard time.

Down Aerial Worldbreaking Mace
Mordekaiser slams his mace downwards, being identical to Ganondorf's dair in power, but having more lag and more range. You can enhance this with Neutral Special to make it pretty ridiculously strong, but the key to it is that if you trigger the landing lag on this move with a Neutral Special enhancement, the shockwave will shake the ground in a hitbox that lasts nearly a full second, making it a very hard move to dodge. That said, Mordekaiser will be punishable after it ends to give you an idea of how ridicuously long this landing lag is, so be careful, but there are situations where this is a very hard KO move to avoid.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
No not at all, an OC doesn't even need an image, take Bubble Witch Marin for example, a picturelss OC that ranked 3rd place in an mym!

Sometimes not having an image for an OC lets the reader use thier own imagination to fill in the blanks, making for a cool opportunity that hasn't been done much before

My point is images serve no purpose other than to look pretty and set up character personality, the only thing that truly matters is the moveset itself
So, should I remove the awful Flame Kitty image from the Alica Vassin moveset and just describe what she looks like?
I'm thinking I should do that.

Actually, it's not necessarily. And the point is that how fast you lose speed depends on the character, and that if you really wanted to you could design a character who doesn't lose lateral air speed when not pressing anything.

In any case, you wouldn't lose speed while holding forwards, because your aerial acceleration would counteract your character's air friction even if it did have a constant effect. And actually, you probably have lost speed while holding forwards in the air before, if you've played a character like Lucario, whose Up Special can go in any direction and retains some of its momentum when it ends. You'll notice he doesn't immediately go back to his regular air movement speed upon going into helpless fall. Instead, he visibly decelerates.
So I could also create a character that has an Air Friction that counteracts its Aerial Acceleration? Would they be unable to move forwards in the air after performing a standing jump?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
So, should I remove the awful Flame Kitty image from the Alica Vassin moveset and just describe what she looks like?
I'm thinking I should do that.

So I could also create a character that has an Air Friction that counteracts its Aerial Acceleration? Would they be unable to move forwards in the air after performing a standing jump?
Yeah, you could make a character who, when performing a standing jump, wouldn't be able to acquire any further forward air speed aside from what their "initial lateral air speed from standing jump" stat allows. (I don't remember the name BrawlBox gave to that stat, but it's significantly more elegant than what I called it here.) The question is whether that works by having their Air Friction counteract their Aerial Acceleration, or by having their Aerial Acceleration set to 0 in the first place. And like Munomario777 Munomario777 said, I have no idea why you'd want to do this in the first place. Unless you really want to make a Ryu Remix that plays exactly like he does in Street Fighter.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It could be a unique balancing feature for a heavy, hard-hitting character that would actually quite mobile on the ground and didn't have slow-*** moves.
It'd also go against the core mechanics of Smash. A slow aerial accelerator is a slow aerial accelerator, but anyone should be able to get going after a jump. That's just how Smash Bros. works. Aside from that, what would this add to the gameplay? All I see it as is an unnatural way to "balance" a character, which would in fact imbalance them in quite a few ways. You say they're super mobile on the ground, so why are they unable to do anything at all in the air? Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be able to recover, like, at all. There are ways to balance a heavyweight lightning bruiser without making them feel unnatural to play; see Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
It'd also go against the core mechanics of Smash. A slow aerial accelerator is a slow aerial accelerator, but anyone should be able to get going after a jump. That's just how Smash Bros. works. Aside from that, what would this add to the gameplay? All I see it as is an unnatural way to "balance" a character, which would in fact imbalance them in quite a few ways. You say they're super mobile on the ground, so why are they unable to do anything at all in the air? Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be able to recover, like, at all. There are ways to balance a heavyweight lightning bruiser without making them feel unnatural to play; see Captain Falcon.
He/she would be able to perform a jump while dashing to keep some aerial speed. He/she could also have a Side Special that makes him/her go forward.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
A heavily armed soldier would probably have this feature. It would make it essential for you to be accurate with your aerials.
Why, exactly, would a heavily-armed soldier be any less mobile in the air then a giant turtle dragon? And why not just make the aerials themselves hard to hit instead?

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Why, exactly, would a heavily-armed soldier be any less mobile in the air then a giant turtle dragon? And why not just make the aerials themselves hard to hit instead?
In Smash Bros., each character has their level of realism. Bowser has almost none, whereas Little Mac has quite a lot. This heavily armed soldier could be the most realistic fighter in Smash, who knows?

Anyway, I think tomorrow I'm just going to start my Akullotsoa moveset because nobody seems to give a **** about Alica Vassin's tweaks; the only person who mentioned it was Plazzap who ignored my post asking him about it. Stay tuned guys/

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
In Smash Bros., each character has their level of realism. Bowser has almost none, whereas Little Mac has quite a lot. This heavily armed soldier could be the most realistic fighter in Smash, who knows?
In that case, one attack kills him, knockback and percentage are nonexistent, he has no shield, he has no recovery period, and... he doesn't work at all in Smash Bros.

Smash is anything but realistic. Trying to change that will just result in a character that is completely incompatible with the rest of the game, the fighters, and the physics.

(Also, Little Mac isn't realistic at all either; he can control his air momentum, jump in midair, launch people through the air with a punch, and break the laws of physics just like any other fighter.)

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
In that case, one attack kills him, knockback and percentage are nonexistent, he has no shield, he has no recovery period, and... he doesn't work at all in Smash Bros.

Smash is anything but realistic. Trying to change that will just result in a character that is completely incompatible with the rest of the game, the fighters, and the physics.

(Also, Little Mac isn't realistic at all either; he can control his air momentum, jump in midair, launch people through the air with a punch, and break the laws of physics just like any other fighter.)
Snake in Brawl went for a certain amount of realism, which just made the surreal things he did with his weapons and CQC skills stand out more and gave a very unique feel to the character. As for Little Mac's aerial control, while it does technically exist it's very bad. It's clear the design intent was for him to feel something like a real boxer forced into an unusual environment (somewhat similar to Snake's portrayal as a real soldier forced into the weird world of Smash), and for Little Mac players to plan very carefully before taking to the air for any reason.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Snake in Brawl went for a certain amount of realism, which just made the surreal things he did with his weapons and CQC skills stand out more and gave a very unique feel to the character.
Right, but my point is, he didn't break the fundamental physics and rules of Smash Bros. in order to achieve said realism.
As for Little Mac's aerial control, while it does technically exist it's very bad. It's clear the design intent was for him to feel something like a real boxer forced into an unusual environment (somewhat similar to Snake's portrayal as a real soldier forced into the weird world of Smash), and for Little Mac players to plan very carefully before taking to the air for any reason.
Yes, but my point is that Little Mac still has some sort of midair control. Characterization is characterization, but if your character can't control himself in midair in the source material, that needs to be adapted to Smash. He might be really bad at it, but it shouldn't be absent. Otherwise, it'd be unfitting to the game and its rules.

Top Bottom