• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Em' Pay (a counter attack "game")

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
Alright, so as promised here is a thread that Ive seen done before and really apreciate it. The idea is I'll give a situation and you have to come up with a way to counter that particular problem. The best solution or two get quoted in the OP... Nothing is particularly wrong, but some ways of countering are more right than others. If you have a particular situation and want it discussed, then pm me and ill get to it in the order I recieve them, but be aware that you cannot participate in the gamethat time. If at the end, your situation is better than the one we have selected, then tell us. Okay so with nothing more to discuss really... on to the first situation:

Situation 1:
Im D.K. and we are at battlefield, I am using a wall of shbair and fast falling on the bottom platform. If you shield the move and aproach me I will imediatly use a ftilt. Punish me.
Winner:
U can use flame for defense.
Up-b out the shield, NUFF said.
Situation 2:
Im an ic main and I have flawless desyncs. Im going to alternate using squal hammer(sideb) and Blizzard(downb) in a sideb, sideb, downb, downb order, short hopping everytime. you cannot grab, otherwise you will be hit by the others attack... Punish me
Winners:
if they try to infinite grab you stay at a decent distance away(bc if they are a good IC them will always try to dodge grab you) and thats why you space and ftilt but don't rely on that to save you because very soon they will catch on and instead use the nuetral b spam to get you frustrated then take advantage of your aggressiveness and begin to shield grab you so in short just stay on your toes and don't lose sight of your goal
There are multiple options:
Short hopping is a part of all options like onii said.
Use the Flames to stop the de-sync momentarily and to rack up damage.
Use the infinite jump to confuse the iceys and take your chance to grab one of them and accordingly to separate them so you are saver from the Side-B+Down-B combination.
Situation 3:
You are on FD and Im a spam happy falco. Ill be using the lazyflector on you the greater part of the match. Anytime you sh at me I will jump and toss my reflector at you spamming laser as you walk up to me. if you get within hitting range I will use side b to try to get past you and repeat. Punish me.
(Credit to -Zure-... he gets to sit this one out)

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I've never been in a situation like that and I have a hard time imagining it, so I'm gonna say either a SH'd Fire breath or just his neutral A.

**** it, I need to get some live experience with Bowser. =[ Too bad I live on the other side of earth compared to other smashers. =/

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Jump and use a well timed side b. Or try to jump behind him using the infinate jump thing and side b him. Bowser gets like some kind of 00ber armor if you time it right.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
When someone posts "King Dedede has you in an infinite grab." this thread will end abruptly. :(

...Unless the response is "Punch the D3 player in the head."

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
WarriorKnight won this one. I'd probably would have said Firebreath only.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
Alright, well glad to see that people enjoy the idea. If this one was a little easy then I can post a more difficult one in the next day or so, also... pm me if you have a good situation. thnx

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Alright, well glad to see that people enjoy the idea. If this one was a little easy then I can post a more difficult one in the next day or so, also... pm me if you have a good situation. thnx
its always good to start off easy but maybe a little bit harder next time :) and yeah i think u can post the next one now i think we can all agree WarriorKnight won this one, and that we found the best option.

EDIT: I think if someone gives you a scenario you should credit them. and that they shouldn't answer. Because most likely if you have suggested it you probably have a solution (and a good one at that).

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
its always good to start off easy but maybe a little bit harder next time :) and yeah i think u can post the next one now i think we can all agree WarriorKnight won this one, and that we found the best option.

EDIT: I think if someone gives you a scenario you should credit them. and that they shouldn't answer. Because most likely if you have suggested it you probably have a solution (and a good one at that).
Gasp. were you saying i would not credit someone?! jp
Anyway, Ill put it in the op Pm me and Ill credit you, However... you wont be allowed to participate in the next scenario. Next one going up in just a bit.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Situation 2:
Im an ic main and I have desyncs down. Im going to alternate using squal hammer(sideb) and Blizzard(downb) in a sideb, sideb, downb, downb, short hopping everytime. you cannot grab, otherwise you will be hit by the others attack... Punish me
Flame-breath or ftilt the first squal hammer...Or maybe full jump over them, and reverse klaw them apart from each other...Then **** Nana and make it easy.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
Situation 2:
Im an ic main and I have flawless desyncs. Im going to alternate using squal hammer(sideb) and Blizzard(downb) in a sideb, sideb, downb, downb order, short hopping everytime. you cannot grab, otherwise you will be hit by the others attack... Punish me
the best thing to do in that situation(IMO,course) would be to just space and mindgame...soon after the IC should be confused a bit and will make stupid mistakes and that is the time to strike...i usually up-b across stage and seperate them and throw one off the stage...and then contiune to punish the other on the stage for damage...or depending if it is the actually human player and not the cpu i would fire breath the edge so they are force to use their up-b to recover and usually a ftilt would do it

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't you jump over the hammer and Bowser bomb them *******s before they can Blizzard? After the SideB's they'll pause to blizzard, then you're free to Bowser bomb them, or use Dair to separate them.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
lol And my lack of IC experience shines. XD

I was facing one this morning but he kept trying to infinite grab me.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
if they try to infinite grab you stay at a decent distance away(bc if they are a good IC them will always try to dodge grab you) and thats why you space and ftilt but don't rely on that to save you because very soon they will catch on and instead use the nuetral b spam to get you frustrated then take advantage of your aggressiveness and begin to shield grab you so in short just stay on your toes and don't lose sight of your goal

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Use the infinite jump to confuse the iceys and take your chance to grab one of them and accordingly to separate them so you are saver from the Side-B+Down-B combination.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
Alright... sorry to keep everyone waiting. I had originally intended to make this a weekly thing, little did I know it would be a three times a day thing... If you would like to continue at this rate we may need to come up with a different system. Anyway, just tell me who to quote(zure or onii-chan seem to me to deserve it) and in the mean time I'll be thinking of another situation.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
If Onii doesn't insist on getting the quote, you can give it to me.

@Lord: *cough* I am German *cough*
I am awake when you aren't...unless it's weekend.

Note: *suggest a very spammy Falco*

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
That's a good answer. I think this would work.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
it doesnt really matter to me...we both had pretty much said the same thing he just put it in a shorter format

situation 3:

this situation is a really dependent one...this could be a scrub campy falco or a good falco (you didn't specify) so i guess i will put two answers

scrub falco:

being that they probably got that idea from watching a video on youtube or something...the chance are they haven't prefected this gayness...so if you have a good idea of what they are gonna do, watch for there mistakes like side bing too much...this is were it gets good...move in for the kill after you have shielded or power shielded some lazers and Fire Breath into a up b...this should set the tempo for anything you want to do

the good falco:

this is gonna be a lot harder to accomplish and probably lead to you getting frustrated, don't get angry you will do stupid things and get severely punished for it...so the best thing to do is to keep a cool head and do what i said to the scrub falco but don't move in for the kill just yet...because you will leave him with the opition of side b or reflector...keep the rythmn goin and you will find out which one he/she will always use (trust me if they are good them probably won't use the reflector to push you back). this gives a bit of an advantage, although do not get to happy yet the hard part is about to come soon they will notice what you are doin and most likely go for the chaingrab>dair kill so be prepare to either ftilt or up b...this are your friends and use them well...the rest is up to your jugdement and the mistakes they make

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
T_T I am not allowed to participate in round 3. Make me proud onii-chan!

Hixxy

Smash Apprentice
[Power] Shield walk or Infinite Side-B (better) as an approach and then fast fall into a shield followed by an F-Tilt. Chances are that they are they are near the ledge, so, if you have time/space, you can set up a fire stream to rack up some extra damage (Falco is easily gimped should they attempt an Up-B, and Side B does not go through Bowser's flames).

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
[Power] Shield walk or Infinite Side-B (better) as an approach and then fast fall into a shield followed by an F-Tilt. Chances are that they are they are near the ledge, so, if you have time/space, you can set up a fire stream to rack up some extra damage (Falco is easily gimped should they attempt an Up-B, and Side B does not go through Bowser's flames).
You forgot Falco's defense with the blaster and illusion.
Onii-Chan summed it up nicely although I don't think Falco is going to let you do B-into-Up-B.

Hixxy

Smash Apprentice
You forgot Falco's defense with the blaster and illusion.
Onii-Chan summed it up nicely although I don't think Falco is going to let you do B-into-Up-B.
If you shield the reflector, his lag gives you enough time to Ftilt him before he can do anything. Also, if he is using Side-B, then it's a different story, and is not part of the given scenario. That said, if he is using Side-B, chances are that you will just jump over him and he'll be beneath you, which is where he wants.

If this happens, you should fast fall an air dodge to the ground. Several things could happen after that: either he runs away (likely with retreating lasers), grabs you, uses an aerial (most likely Dair), or dash attacks you. Respectively, you should follow the previous approach, Jab/Ftilt, or Shield. Note that if he uses a non-retreating aerial (anything other than Dair), you need to make sure to grab him/Up-B Out of Shield, or else you'll be in a bad spot.

If he short/full hops the Side-B and misses, the situation is the same as a grounded Side-B, except you are closer to the ground. If he hits, you should be spiked into the ground, and will be near him on the ground. Depending on the distances of his landing in relation to your height and the timing of his dash, you should be able to Ftilt him.

Falco's laser is little more than a nuisance unless you are nearby, since I assume that the Falco in question is Full Hop Double Lasering. In this case, you can full hop your Infinite Side-B with an air dodge (although you can still be hit by a laser, it decreases your chances of being hit). You should also mind you spacing so that you are not being stunned close enough that he can retaliate before you recover, as Falco's grab will hurt.

Also, another thing that I forgot to mention was double jumping and air dodge above Falco and Standard-B to catch him in the flame being an option. You can definitely be punished for this, but it will do a fair amount of damage to Falco and likely have him off of the ledge (assuming that it is fully charged).

onii-chan

Smash Ace
like i said i left up to the players own judgement...i give them a basic structure and left the rest for the to incorporate their playing style they won't have to completely change the way they play its as simple as that...the way you put is for the to change the way they completely play to something different

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
I found the explanation accurate enough. Of course the D-Air is always forgotten. If you jump over Falco's illusion, why not use D-Air to bump Falco away? The reflector doesn't have enough range to get near Bowser after that and a crappy spamming Falco wouldn't even get the idea to chain grab Bowser. Let's assume it's a skillful Falco who just happens to love spamming. You still manage to jump over the illusion. So why fast fall and aerial dodge? You could just use the Koopa Claw to inflict direct damage while taking Falco near the edge throwing him off the stage.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Scenario 2: Flame, up-b outta sheild, jab fakes into up-b, and u can also run into them then up-b and retreat, down-air is goood too.

Scenario 3: Calm mind.
When spamming occurs either jump around them or sheild. Do occasional backrolls as well. Falcos side-b can be canceled, punished or neutralized with the flame, up-tilt while having your back turned to falco. Down-air is also good to space them away. And my favorite is downsmash, it ***** them. For the downsmash one to work, u have to know the move is coming so you have to do it b4 he even does his down-b.

Peace.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Run at him powershielding the lasers and block his Side-b when he does it and then go punish him with a dash grab or tilt or w/e your in range to do. Jump fire, f-tilt whatever you got time to do.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the shield won't come up during the initial animation of the dash so you won't be able to dash and perfect shield falco's lasers.

Top Bottom