• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main pikmin. Secondary Olimar.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I have an idea, no, a concept, that i feel needs to be explored. Before i tell you about this concept, i want you to think about something, what does "Main pikmin. Secondary Olimar" mean?

Well, let me tell you, what is means is, as an "Olimar player", you are really maining pikmin. Most of our moves are just pikmin, olimar is just a backseat character we have to protect, who sometimes uses nair and whistle. Us "Pikmin Players" as i would rather call it, are olimar's guardian angel, because Olimar doesn't do more than nair and die.

What if, we changed this, what if we truly could call ourselves an "Olimar player"? Now, let me tell you what could happen, our one character, could actually be two characters. Pikmin and olimar, each with their own playstyle and moveset, able to excel at different things, and directly counter anything thrown at us.

Now, this is where my idea comes in. Treat pikmin and olimar as separate characters, don't just think about them as pikmin and olimar, think about them as pikmin OR olimar. Pikmin is our long range character, our go to sets of girls and guys (if they do have genders that is). Pikmin are campy, long range, annoying, W/E you wanna call them. Olimar on the other hand, he is a whole new character, opponents won't know what to do when olimar comes to the field. He sports a lot of quick attacks that directly set up for pikmin, he sports high priority attacks, attacks with deceptive range, low cooldown, attacks that allow our pikmin to abuse their power and range. Olimar can even be semi aggro with success.

Olimar is another character, he is a support, a close range beast, and a character who you should use, by co-maining as an "Olimar player" and a "Pikmin player", we have two unique characters, and by switching between the two, we, as players, effectively have two mains, and can switch between them without our opponent even realizing it, giving us amazing mindgames and mixups.

TL;DR:

Don't main "Pikmin and Olimar", co-main "Pikmin" and "Olimar"

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
If I am not mistaken.. Most of Olimar's moves are SDI-able, and the other moves have no priority. Which means it's very situational, thus doesn't deem itself as a big part of Olimar's game.

Don't listen to me. Lol.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I think you missed the central idea of his post. ^^;

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Awesome concept/read Dabuz, I love how you explain a complex character (call em' you want) ideally feel/be simple. You definitely enlightened me, thanks

SethT

Smash Ace
Ok....This Is A FREAKIN AWESOME IDEA!!! But what would pikmin final smash be?
Imagine the boss pikimin charging up from the ground, calling all his pikimin gansta' friends. Pikimin come flying up from the ground in a big ****ing hurricane of rainbow, smashing up everything like good little wannabe ganstas do. Then they all circulate into a ball, then explode hitting everything. Kinda like how a sun shoots light everywhere.

tl;dr Pikimin kill ****.

I like how you think my good sir. Might just main olimar. He never needed pikimin to be good anyway.

MasterSwordStudio

Smash Rookie
Imagine the boss pikimin charging up from the ground, calling all his pikimin gansta' friends. Pikimin come flying up from the ground in a big ****ing hurricane of rainbow, smashing up everything like good little wannabe ganstas do. Then they all circulate into a ball, then explode hitting everything. Kinda like how a sun shoots light everywhere.

tl;dr Pikimin kill ****.

I like how you think my good sir. Might just main olimar. He never needed pikimin to be good anyway.
0_o.... Alright!

Dnyce

Smash Master
opponents won't know what to do when olimar comes to the field. He sports a lot of quick attacks that directly set up for pikmin, he sports high priority attacks, attacks with deceptive range, low cooldown, attacks that allow our pikmin to abuse their power and range. Olimar can even be semi aggro with success.

Olimar is another character, he is a support, a close range beast, and a character who you should use, by co-maining as an "Olimar player" and a "Pikmin player", we have two unique characters, and by switching between the two, we, as players, effectively have two mains, and can switch between them without our opponent even realizing it, giving us amazing mindgames and mixups.

TL;DR:

Don't main "Pikmin and Olimar", co-main "Pikmin" and "Olimar"
People know what to do vs Olimar. Get him in the air, then laugh. His attacks are mediocre at best, from a frame perspective - his fastest move having guaranteed powershielded punishes against him **when used appropriately** (in comparison, one of metaknights more favorable kill moves comes out on the same frame, is safe on hit, has more range and priority but has comparable cooldown).
The moves set-up for pikmin if and only if they connect (aside from jab which is unsafe on hit and block at every percent). All his moves have GANNON-LIKE COOL DOWN... where the **** did you get 'low cool down' from.....? I know it wasn't from hilt's frame data thread =_="

Question. When I use a move and the hitbox / grab box does not come out and I lose a stock for choosing the correct option that would have otherwise gave me a favorable lead, but instead got me at a stock disadvantage and then timed out... which main do I blame?

TL;DR
"Used to lose while mainin oli but I'm a main switcher... :shyguy: "

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
For the sake of discussion, would you say Marth players main their swords and secondary Marth?

Asa

Smash Hero
marth's sword doesn't have feelings!

doesn't know how to love

to hate

to be gimped

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Since it now seems that it needs to be said, watch the spam, guys. ^^;

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Please explain, Cook.
I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging the fact that our character could be seen as two separate entities.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
I really enjoy your concept of approaching the whole Olimar as two.

As much as I want to believe you, I feel that this cannot be the case. Olimar and the Pikmins' functions are together, functioning as one when necessary. We are not Ice Climbers; we have little to no potential of performing inherently seperate actions. While the two Climbers can essentially develop combos, Olimar and his Pikmin cannot.

We cannot switch between Olimar and Pikmin because our moveset economy doesn't allow it; when we do an attack, it ONLY involves either Olimar AND Pikmin, or Olimar on his own. Pikmin, to my knowledge, cannot execute as a seperate entity, with a seperate moveset economy.

I love your post. It's a knowledge bomb.

But I think it'll be better so that we treat Olimar and Pikmin as the King and his army. The King can certainly have his own set of crazy moves (Nairs, Dtilts, Jabs, the like), but we have to be careful.

Move the King, or move your Pawns? Think before you do, because every move is important in chess.

Top Bottom